Rant: PC culture has gone too far

Crazy Lee

15 hours ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

I think the use of language isnt the language itself, but the context irs used in and who its used around.

The problem is not words being said, but the idiots not knowing when to say certain words and the other idiots getting their panties in a twist with the word itself and not paying attention to the context in which said word was used (i.e is it hateful, scornful, meant to put down? If not, gtfo it)

I think this is actually a very good point

like say hypothetically we outright outlaw use of the R-slur (a word that should basically never be used by anyone atm, especially abled people), made it so you go to jail for using it. Treated the anguish that's purposely being invoked by that word as punishable etc etc I'm rambling

if that happened people would just find a new word. Something that just as cleanly:

1) describes the other person's perceived lack of intelligence / brain function

and 2) is invoked to distance the speaker from the target, to place the speaker ABOVE the target as being more valuable, more virtuous, etc, for having the correct level of intelligence of brain function

and then that gets used forever and the EFFECT of the r-slur never actually disappears even though the word effectively has

It's very important to, on top of asking that people not use that one specific ableist slur, to also challenge the thought processes and societal ableism that actually lead to these slurs being created in the first place

Although to be fair the picture the OP is citing is an ableism 101 facebook post like I think we can forgive a poster w/ 32 words on it for not portraying the topic with a proper amount of nuance

EDIT: forgot to also quote @PastryOfApathy pointing out that "jerk" and "psycho" mean two different things

I think an important purpose of posters like the one the OP cited is to get people actually thinking about the context in which they use ableist language

I hear all the time people using the term psycho as a perjorative against people of questionable moral character. "My ex girlfriend was a total psycho, she keyed my car after we broke up" or "The dude was a total psycho, shouting at me over the dumbest shit"

The people in these examples are being jerks. People are just really quick to look at other people being purposely malicious towards them and for some reason that always gets reframed as "this person is insane / this person is of low intelligence" which is so fucking weird to me

people even do this for acts as malicious as mass shootings. If a shooter is white (meaning: race can't be blamed) everyone will call the dude a psycho, insane, schizophrenic, blame autism or SOMETHING. Mass shooters will make videos about how they're shooting up their school because no girls will date them and the media will fucking gravitate towards attacking this person's mental health rather than their gross sense of entitlement

okay I'm just a little bitter on the subject but I mean, it's so gross? Disabled people in general are so much more likely to be victims of violence than perpetrators of but we always get blamed for the actions of entitled abled people who are being jerks

Edited by Another Ampers&
multiquote doesn't work after you've already posted :C
  • Like 3

Who cares, identity politics serves as nothing more than a means to distract and divide the masses with trivial matters, from resolving issues that are actually a problem.

Except for maybe making them sweet dollarydoos from riding that bandwagon in the forms of government funding and "donations", etc.

A word can also become meaningless and devoid of it's edge if used excessively to the point that people no longer care about it's implications in the end anyway.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Onnes said:

It has the ironic consequence of promoting equivalence between words with extinct disability specific usage like "idiot" and those with extant usage like "retard" and the endless autism/asperger's references.

Yes! Precisely.

"You are retarded/psycho/stupid/faggoty" is insulting because it is being directed at you, and is implying negative things about you.

Statements about "fags" or "darkies" or "loonies" are insulting and hurtful because they dehumanize and malign specific groups of people, or people who are presumed to belong to those groups.

Saying that people ought to automatically take offense to people saying "That movie was dumb," "Michelle Bachmann is stupid," or "Kim Jong Un is totally psycho," implies that people should see those statements and words as being about them--that is, that they should see themselves as stupid, dumb, or psycho. Talk about your unfortunate implications!

Offhand, the only mentally ill people I've known who automatically take offense to people calling random people or things "crazy" or "loopy" are either defensive or paranoid in general, or majoring in Disability Studies and/or have picked up a lot of SJW lingo on Tumblr.

What would be more helpful, I think, would be for people to become better-educated and more aware about mental illness in general, such that they aren't reflexively dismissive or afraid of people with mental illnesses, and start to think twice before turning them into the butt of jokes.

What would also be helpful would be if people were discouraged from just casually abusing diagnostic language or engaging in armchair psychologizing when they actually don't know shit (as in @Another Ampers&'s example of people declaring that the shooter must've been schizophrenic or autistic, because shooting).

Telling people to refrain from saying "psycho" or "loony bin" doesn't necessarily put a "face" on mental illness in a way that would actually increase a person's understanding of and empathy for individuals with those illnesses.

5 hours ago, Khaki said:

Who cares, identity politics serves as nothing more than a means to distract and divide the masses with trivial matters, from resolving issues that are actually a problem.

what position are you coming from that you believe use of Ableist slurs is a not "actually a problem" just out of curiosity

Just now, 6tails said:

Probably the same position I'm coming from - words are words. If you let them offend you, you're the one who is weak of mind.

Could you define for me what "weak of mind" exactly means, and specifically describe why it would be bad to be weak of mind, or why we otherwise shouldn't accommodate those kinds of people?

Just now, 6tails said:

It means you're too sensitive and not fit for the harsh realities of nature, let alone human society. Without an actual society to prop you up,, you wouldn't survive.

this is worrisome to read as someone who is disabled and unable to support themselves on their own for reasons other than hyper-sensitivity

Do you think that I should not be accommodated for on this forum? Outside this forum?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 6tails said:

You're trying to tel that to someone who's been crushed by a truck. I don't play the Ableist game because it's a bad game weak-minded and LAZY idiots use to excuse themselves.

He actually has been crushed by a truck and does not play the victim card in regards to that fact. 

He's many things but not a fan of labels. He is himself. Which is rare these days in a world where people are ready to slap labels all over themselves as a substitute for a personality or personal identity. He definitely has a strong and unique personality. 

Free speech accommodates everyone equally. That's how it should be and feelings about what everyone finds offensive are totally subjective and up to interpretation by the individual. Also if you choose to be offended by something that is your individual choice. Nobody can make you feel offended. Giving an insult weight is something that your own brain does. People call me names all the time. I choose not to believe them. 

He and I are actually quite similar in a lot of ways. You should hang out in the cooking chat some time and give him a chance. 

• Like 1

I smell another YouTube video coming on! Is that a infraction topping and a side of butt hurt on both sides?

Saying what is politically correct doesn't change the feeling of that person or what that person is actually intending when they speak. It is basically censorship that is trying to spare feelings of people who cannot deal with the harsher side of the real world.

• Like 1

Some people do let themselves get offended for no reason. Like, if a black man calls another black man his "nigga" in a friendly manner, and someone nearby gets offended, it's like, really dude?

You should get upset at things that are actually upsetting, not the way people's vocal cords make sound while they affectionately talk to their friends.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Another Ampers& said:

Your recanting isn't befitting of you, really. I know you're stronger and more beautiful than that

I know that I'm trash and you shouldn't be concerned for my emotions but I still have a degree of patience, you know?

There are people who could be putting cigarettes out on my skin right now

This doesn't help your side of the debate. You're only proving his point. (Probably ironically or something) *shrug*

You're strong enough to be opinionated about this subject. If only you didn't take a lot of it as a personal attack, you would be taken more seriously.

The victim role doesn't suit you. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, #00Buck said:

At least you have overwatch.

I have to play Team Fortress 2 instead. 

As the pyro. That's non ironic. 

tbh if I had $40 to spare I'd get you OW. It's a super fun game and more furfags need to play it.

1 minute ago, XoPachi said:

Are you insinuating that I meant freeze them first? Because I forgot what her left click does. :y

Self.

Respect.

Thank God I derailed this thread with Overwatch talk.

• Like 2

Just now, Lucyfish said:

tbh if I had $40 to spare I'd get you OW. It's a super fun game and more furfags need to play it.

Wow I was under the impression that you didn't like me so much. 

Now I think we're bonding. This is alarming. This thread is strange...

*swims sideways*

• Like 2

Just now, #00Buck said:

Wow I was under the impression that you didn't like me so much. 

Now I think we're bonding. This is alarming. This thread is strange...

*swims sideways*

I may have problems with people, but after some time I'm always willing to cool down and try friendliness again.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Another Ampers& said:

Your recanting isn't befitting of you, really. I know you're stronger and more beautiful than that

I know that I'm trash and you shouldn't be concerned for my emotions but I still have a degree of patience, you know?

There are people who could be putting cigarettes out on my skin right now

What the fuck is this emo anime shonen forum character bullshit? 

• Like 3