• Vastly intelligent, I know most everything
  2. 2. How do other people perceive you

• I honestly dont know
    • I look like a dumbass
    • Im kind of smart to people
    • Unextraordinary
    • Im considered smart amongst my peers
    • I can be intimidatingly intelligent sometimes
    • Others? Of course they see me as intelligent, because I AM!

9 hours ago, LazerMaster5 said:

In high school, I was about average among my friends. We were all in honors classes and shit.

However, in my intro to welding class back in the spring, I was considered the smart one in the class. It also doesn't hurt that half the class didn't give a shit about the class and failed from lack of effort.

Still, I try to stay humble. 

Also, I can't be bothered to remember shit. I must have hit my head one too many times back in 10th grade.

Funny how that works when you're only smart because you care and everyone else is stupid simply because they want "the easy grade" and therefore dont put any effort

People were like that in art classes I had, but then realizing they couldnt draw what they wanted and that assignments centered around drawing chairs and objects they would just never turn in assignments out of boredom

Those are the kind of people who are short sughted, impatient, and willfully ignorant

I have no idea how people perceive me today. 

Back in school I had the reputation and looks of a nerd. The associated grades were nowhere to be seen though.

Either I'm intellectually lazy, or I'm just not that intelligent. I'd tend to go with the latter.

10 hours ago, LazerMaster5 said:

However, in my intro to welding class back in the spring, I was considered the smart one in the class. It also doesn't hurt that half the class didn't give a shit about the class and failed from lack of effort.

Stick welding I hope!

'cause stick welding is best welding. 

10 hours ago, LazerMaster5 said:

Also, I can't be bothered to remember shit. I must have hit my head one too many times back in 10th grade.

Selective memory huh? Kinda exactly like me :P

I could never make it to a math exam without forgetting half of the stuff. ¬¬

I can be smart. I don't think I'm a genius. I know I could do much, much better in school if I tried, but so could most everyone.

I suppose its more than raw intelligence though. Willpower to use it, train it, hone it, comes in handy.

Everyone has their moments, every dog has its day. Some are very smart but never get a chance to exercise it. Some don't have the willpower to utilize it to its full potential. Some don't care.

Everyone is different.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Feelwell the Rabbit said:

I can be smart. I don't think I'm a genius. I know I could do much, much better in school if I tried, but so could most everyone.

I suppose its more than raw intelligence though. Willpower to use it, train it, hone it, comes in handy.

Everyone has their moments, every dog has its day. Some are very smart but never get a chance to exercise it. Some don't have the willpower to utilize it to its full potential. Some don't care.

Everyone is different.

Its definitely not typical for someone to ALWAYS be that way, just a fun exercise in self reflection, I suppose

I'm in the highly pretentious IQ range? No idea.

I'm not smart enough for my liking: I still can't cook steak with my mind.

In all seriousness, I think I do have some bragging points. (?)

For IQ, does it really matter what point you land on the scale? Assuming you aren't mentally deficient, I think that for most people the success—intelligence curve levels off. Success is partly fortune not pure intelligence.

This is a weird topic, if you think about it. For instance, if someone says they're really smart, folks will read it as them being arrogant. If someone says they're dumb, they're assumed to be either too modest or have shit self esteem. The only real socially acceptable answer is anywhere in the middle.

An actual answer from me is that I'm considered incredibly book smart, lacking in common sense. I'm usually considered the smartest in my friend group, but the dumbest when it comes to things such as tact, social ques, things like that. I've been told I'm incredibly perceptive to people, annyways. 

There's a common problem with being "vastly intelligent": you understand things that others do not, in ways that others can not, often breaking their established beliefs, and as a result they may consider you an idiot or a crazy person. For example, by grandfather had multiple doctorate and post-doctorate degrees, and started working on magnetic levitation as a hobby project because the idea interested him (his degrees were in mechanical and electrical engineering). He eventually realized how to look at magnetic interactions in a way that no one has before, and figured out how to make an attraction based suspension system that uses only permanent magnets and no control mechanisms. Problem is, until then this was considered impossible (after 40+ years of others trying). He only figured it out because he looked at the problem beyond just the interaction of magnetic fields, and figured out how to make a mechanical interaction work with it. Everyone else was looking too closely at the problem.

Unfortunately, the mathematics used to conclusively prove his theory is so advanced that few people in the world understand it, and since people have the preconceived notions of "that's impossible" he's mostly been dismissed, either as a senile old man, or as just an idiot who is surely missing something.

I unfortunately have issues similar to that in my chosen field as well. Though I suspect if you surround yourself with idiots, even an average person can get that experience.

• Like 1

I work with a PHD mathematician on projects that are actually fairly simple (to me at least) and after months of trying to explain to him how I did things he finely figured it out.  I patted him on the head and gave him a gold star for his efforts.  He then proceeded to punch me and called me an asshole.  It was a good day.

• Like 1

On Saturday, August 20, 2016 at 9:20 PM, Strongbob said:

I work with a PHD mathematician on projects that are actually fairly simple (to me at least) and after months of trying to explain to him how I did things he finely figured it out.  I patted him on the head and gave him a gold star for his efforts.  He then proceeded to punch me and called me an asshole.  It was a good day.

Well I'd hate to be in his situation...from his perspective it was probably months of something extremely difficult for him to comprehend, all the while this guy condescendingly trying to help him, no wonder he finally punched you and called you an asshole

...not to say you were, just situations where you look really stupid are demeaning and stressful and you may or may not have laughed or seemed like a dick the entire way

• Like 1

The voices in my head tell me I am a very smart person and that I should kill every dumbass for not being worth my time

I'd say I am slightly above average, capable of learning things fast and using logical conclusion to solve things. Others seem to see me that way too

Now I wish I was more disciplined to use my intelligence

• Like 2

5 hours ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Well I'd hate to be in his situation...from his perspective it was probably months of something extremely difficult for him to comprehend, all the while this guy condescendingly trying to help him, no wonder he finally punched you and called you an asshole

...not to say you were, just situations where you look really stupid are demeaning and stressful and you may or may not have laughed or seemed like a dick the entire way

Actually I was trying to be condescending asshole at that moment and I entirely expected some rapid retaliation.  Luckily I'm really close with this co-worker and we are constantly giving each other a hard time.  We had a good laugh about this one and then went out and had a beer after work.  If you want to be a success you should work with people you can be yourself around, even if you are naturally a dick.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Strongbob said:

Actually I was trying to be condescending asshole at that moment and I entirely expected some rapid retaliation.  Luckily I'm really close with this co-worker and we are constantly giving each other a hard time.  We had a good laugh about this one and then went out and had a beer after work.  If you want to be a success you should work with people you can be yourself around, even if you are naturally a dick.    

Oh well that makes sense :v In that case, Good job!

• 2 weeks later...

My scores on significant tests like the ACT as time progresses say I'm better than 90% of other students in then U.S. I've come out on top in advanced classes a few times. I've been in advanced classes only my whole life so far. Other people tell me I'm smart. I'm doing everything I can to learn more yet I feel dumber than everyone.

Maybe my own standards are too high ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I guess it's just what you define as "smart" that changes everything.

On 9/6/2016 at 7:30 AM, Glowing Glass said:

My scores on significant tests like the ACT as time progresses say I'm better than 90% of other students in then U.S. I've come out on top in advanced classes a few times. I've been in advanced classes only my whole life so far. Other people tell me I'm smart. I'm doing everything I can to learn more yet I feel dumber than everyone.

Maybe my own standards are too high ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I guess it's just what you define as "smart" that changes everything.

The reason Socrates said he knows nothing is because he was a very intelligent smart man. You are like him and I like that because I have a strong dislike for people who think they are smart but keep saying dumb and illogical things

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Snagged Cub said:

...Socrates said he knows nothing...

Socrates is only recorded as having gone on a quest to prove the Oracle wrong, which results in him thinking something Plato writes as "I am wiser than this man; it is likely that neither of us knows anything worthwhile, but he thinks he knows something when he does not, whereas when I do not know, neither do I think I know; so I am likely to be wiser than he to this small extent, that I do not think I know what I do not know." After deciding the Oracle was right, and he was wise, Socrates went about telling everybody how he was wiser until anybody of any wit dislikes him. This all has to do with his odd definitions of what knowledge and sensing are, but the ultimate result of his pursuits after this is his execution.

If you add onto that the fact that he hated most government - but especially democracy - because the average person is not wise and that he was generally rather arrogant about his ability to get the better of another in a discussion whether or not he actually had, he sounds rather unintelligent today.

i have spent an arbitrarily long amount of time playing music with the intent of it being a living, and because im a percussionist, that includes knowing how to use household items for a piece.

so the answer is extremely stupid

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, evan said:

i have spent an arbitrarily long amount of time playing music with the intent of it being a living, and because im a percussionist, that includes knowing how to use household items for a piece.

so the answer is extremely stupid

Surely you must be a percussionist when  even your avatar vibrates

10359573@400-1365861246.jpg.db533ffa70e6

• Like 5