Sh*t Your Pets Do

Ratmomma

My dog haaaaaaaaates flies. This one landed on the lamp and he's sitting there and growling at it (it's the same growl he uses for when people are walking on the road or when an animal is outside). He tries to catch it everytime it flies but has failed so far. He will do this until he catches and kills it. Sometimes for hours on end. He's been after this one for at least two hours now.

CAM00531.thumb.jpg.96a83aae9eaae47c6094a

• Like 1

Where do I even start?  My sister's dog Jenna thinks she's a cat.  Shepherd-husky mix thinks that the back of the couch is for sitting on, not the cushions, and she will try and climb into your lap no matter what.  Then she sits there and sasses everyone, which is freakin' adorable.  And unlike our other dog, Tripp, she doesn't understand why you can't jump on certain things that are set down on the bed, like laptops or sketchbooks or dishes.  Oh, and you have to carry her around sewer grates.  She's a rescue dog so we have no idea why they frighten her so much.

Then there is Tripp, the lab-mix.  We named him Tripp because he has a nasty habit of getting tangled in everyone's feet, especially when they're carrying something he wants to eat.  He also trips over his own paws because even fully grown they're huge.  But these habits can be forgiven.  So can his love for laying down with his food bowl between his paws and eating like that.  What can't be forgiven is that he likes to suck on blankets, leaving enormous smelly wet spots, and that he actually has eaten through a door before because he has anxiety issues about being left home alone for a few hours.

• Like 1

My Dizzy likes to lie right in the middle of massive beds and look extremely spoiled.

1010385_10200869318947910_154000177_n.th

Well, saying that she "looks" extremely spoiled would imply that she isn't extremely spoiled. Within our financial means, Dizzy is extremely spoiled.

Dizzy also kills all the particularly big moths that would come in through my bedroom window, and eat them. Who needs a guard dog? I've got an automatic moth killer that is adorable as anything.

When I'm at home, she is also my shadow. She follows me everywhere. If I come into the living room and Dizzy is sat on my dad's lap or something, and I sit down in a chair, Dizzy will automatically get up and sit on my lap instead.

I personally think that this whole "cats don't love their owners" thing is complete bullshit. Anybody who sees how Dizzy interacts with me would think this too. My dad began maintaining that it's cupboard love (but I'm not the one who feeds the pets), but nowadays all he will say is that it's "bizarre" how much she goes against what he thinks.

• Like 2

I think one of the most endearing things my dog does is when he knows I am not feeling well and he comes and lays his head at my feet or puts it in my lap to comfort me. 

My ratties will lick away my tears, and if they HEAR my crying and I'm near the cage, they'll swarm the door until I open it, and then they'll all climb on me and give me kisses and snuggles :')

My old cat, Thief, would hunt rats while he was outside, and bring body parts to the doorstep (sometimes a head, sometimes a torso).

I hope my kitten grows up to make me as proud as Thief did.

Our cat likes to go on 2 weeks vacations during the summer, and she'll come back dirty and scratched up. She'll also bring us mice, birds, chipmunks, RABBITS, BATS (seriously, how the fuck does she accomplish bringing BATS home), and one time, she killed a mother sparrow and ATE ALL THE BABY BIRDS IN THE FUCKING NEST. I swear to god she's a serial killer.

• Like 1

I'm almost scared of adopting pets, I'm a clean freak and just don't want to risk one of them being nasty. Most cats are not, but well.... some are.

I have grown up with pets and I love them to death, it will just be a process house training cats in the future.

@nurseeyeroll

I'm sorry to hear that, I wish there was something that could be done with Ozzie but time might be the only thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe you shouldn't use the flash in a dark room. Just saying.

I was actually trying to catch both eyes red (that's what they show with the right angle) because I thought it'd be ironic with her dressed as an angel. Those weird poses weren't helping though. 

My house is dark and my camera is bad but I wanted go take a few pics. :<

I was actually trying to catch both eyes red (that's what they show with the right angle) because I thought it'd be ironic with her dressed as an angel. Those weird poses weren't helping though. 

My house is dark and my camera is bad but I wanted go take a few pics. :<

Red? That would have been awesome, but do animal eyes ever glow red in pictures? The tapetum lucidum (the glowy part of the retina) has always glowed blue in every picture I've ever taken with flash.

Red? That would have been awesome, but do animal eyes ever glow red in pictures? The tapetum lucidum (the glowy part of the retina) has always glowed blue in every picture I've ever taken with flash.

Yeah, they have to have the right protein make-up. Blue eyes almost always tend to flash red. My puppy's mother had blue eyes so she partly inherited it. 

CAM00573.thumb.jpg.f09ef1817787a7874a167

• 1 year later...

Our normally lazy, gentle old Manx cat (Iggy) has decided to tear about the apartment like crazy, jumping about on the bed, and letting out loud meows at about 6 AM each day, with the regularity of an alarm clock. Then, after you're awake, he goes back to sleep, without a peep.

Last night my bearded dragon nuzzled her head into the wrinkles of the blanket flattened on her belly and legs, then proceeded to crawl flatly along the wrinkles and then stop, falling asleep in front of me.

The cats have more stories, though

Just before one of them tried sticking their paw under the door...followed by their entire arm.

Agave likes to stick her paw in my drink to play with the ice. Every time. She has her own water too so its not because she's thirsty. She'll do the same with ramen noodles and try to eat the strands she picks up in her claws 

...and then Aloe...she has her box. Her dedicated box. She uses it so much we put her name on it. Agave doesnt even use it. Its her box. You can even pick up the entire box with her in it.

IMG_20170128_152450_205.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My old cat used to go out late in the evening, then come back and mew to be let in. Nothing unusual there, except that nobody could hear him when he mewed at the back door, so he started climbing up to the bedroom windows and mewing there until somebody gave in and let him in. There was also one time where he spotted an open kitchen window three metres off the ground and managed to jump through it.

The event I always remember though was when he had a rat cornered against the wall of the house. The house I used to live in had a rough stucco finish over the brickwork which provided amble footholds for a nimble rat, and it started climbing the wall. It had reached the second storey when the cat decided to follow it. He got about three metres up the wall using just his claws on the wall surface before we had to help him down. Goodness knows what would have happened if he'd caught the rat.

I actually don't know what happened to the rat at all. We rushed the cat inside to stop him trying again, and when we went back out the rat was gone.

• 2 weeks later...

I cut a hole in my bedroom door for my cat and covered it with a cat shaped frame for aesthetics. :)  This is actually an energy efficiency thing for the summer.  She doesn't like closed doors but the 5000BTU AC unit in my bedroom is insufficent when the door is open to allow the cat to enter or exit (And she does NOT like closed doors) so I'd have to run my living room/kitchen AC at night to compensate. This way I can better zone my apartment for air conditioning during day or night while the cat keeps full access to the apartment.

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday my fucking derp lizard got herself stuck in her rock, it's a basking rock that also is a cave with two entrances so she can go underneath and hide under. Except on of those entrances is and has always been too small for her since we got her, and the dumb fuck for some reason decided she would try going inside through it, ended up having both her arms pinned to her sides stuck.

It's a good thing we noticed when we did, had to pick up the entire rock (she was so wedged in the opening that she was picked up with said rock), flip the rock over and turn her body sideways gently to get her unstuck. Was pretty worrying at first and had to gently get her out, half contemplated taking the entire rock to the vet so we wouldnt hurt her getting her out. Luckily it was an easy fix and is now more funny than not 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...