RAVE: The old threads are baaaack

DevilishlyHandsome49

2313307611_4d8665acb7_z.jpg

I'm confused as to how the act of necroing a thread is itself funny...

if the necro post is funny in itself or adds something to the thread, sure, but just necroing threads for the sake of necroing them does not seem to hold humor in itself...

Someone please enlighten me in the ways of the internet humor, for I am confused.

3 minutes ago, Butters said:

When you come in late and there's no necros.

To the blackhole with you! (mods moved them there)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 6tails said:

Oh, that explains why a fucking thread about a game is no longer in Three Frags Left and is instead in the Black Hole.

What's the fucking point of having separate sections of the forum if this is how shit's going to get 'organized' and handled?

As those threads are unlikely to actually revolve around their original topic now that they have been necroed, it is probably the most fitting place for them to be.

The blackhole also lacks a defined topic area itself, so they aren't really out of place there.

• Like 3

I got the shovel and... oh, they've been moved? Welp, uh, I guess I'll have to bury something else then.

Seriously, though, this is the most ridiculous thing I've seen people up in arms about in a while. 'Who moved my cheese', indeed.

Why necro? Why complain about necro? Why move necros?  Why am I complaining about complaints? My god what am I doing with my life?!

...Oh, right. Avoiding thinking about soul-crushing work. Carry-on then, you all.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, DrGravitas said:

I got the shovel and... oh, they've been moved? Welp, uh, I guess I'll have to bury something else then.

Seriously, though, this is the most ridiculous thing I've seen people up in arms about in a while. 'Who moved my cheese', indeed.

Why necro? Why complain about necro? Why move necros?  Why am I complaining about complaints? My god what am I doing with my life?!

...Oh, right. Avoiding thinking about soul-crushing work. Carry-on then, you all.

Good Posting.

• Like 1

well this is embarrassing..

11 minutes ago, 6tails said:

Osrik's thread> May 25, 2016

Original thread by Joshi, September 25, 2015

I believe there's a rule about thread duplication instead of reviving the topic at hand?

I take it you're referring to this?

-Stay on topic for each forum, and please try not to post duplicate forum threads. Use our search utility to see if someone has already posted a thread on your topic. It's better to revive an old thread with fresh on-topic information than to create a new copy of an existing thread. If you wish to post about a particularly popular subject (a game, a furry appearance in popular media, etc.), chances are someone has already brought it up. However, do not revive a thread with off-topic content.

In which case, you're almost correct. See the keyword in this rule is to try not to. Duplicating threads is against the rules yes, but that would be more for threads that are made pretty frequently or are still relatively active. But honestly speaking, starting a new thread for a topic that was dead and done with months ago is whatever.

There's also two threads for Overwatch, one made in November and one made in May

You guys are dumb. 

I deleted the one or two posts that derailed and posted a comment that was back on topic to:

• No Man's Sky hype thread > Three Frags Left
  • Inspirational Words for any kinds of artists > Palette Town

17 minutes ago, 6tails said:

And why are those not merged?

because I didn't know there were two threads until I dug through the forum just to point out that there are other dead threads with duplicated threads that are more active? I'm not gonna take it upon myself to scour the forums just to make sure there are no repeat threads

10 minutes ago, willow said:

because I didn't know there were two threads until I dug through the forum just to point out that there are other dead threads with duplicated threads that are more active? I'm not gonna take it upon myself to scour the forums just to make sure there are no repeat threads

Y'see, unlike most people here, Willow doesn't have that much free time on his hands to do somethin' mundane like that. 

3 hours ago, Lemon said:

Y'see, unlike most people here, Willow doesn't have that much free time on his hands to do somethin' mundane like that. 

it's also like, super hard to do when you 1.weren't really around when the first thread was made and 2.weren't a mod

I'll be sure to be more diligent though and monitor every thread on the forums from now on

5 hours ago, 6tails said:

Osrik's thread> May 25, 2016

Original thread by Joshi, September 25, 2015

I believe there's a rule about thread duplication instead of reviving the topic at hand?

Ahh, from the rules updated as of June:

Thread closures will only happen if one or many of the following occur;

Severe Derailment

Belligerent behavior (insulting other users, etc)

Macro image spam

Duplicate topic

Doesn't fit into any subforum

So, get to doing that thread merge.

As I am back from work, i guess I will respond to this.

Before making that thread, I checked the first 3 or so pages to see if there was any discussion on the game, and, not seeing any, I created a thread. I think it a little ridiculous to expect me to know about or seek out a thread started in the first days of this forum, especially when I was not around then.

Even if I had known about that thread, I still probably would have made a new one (possibly after consulting the mods), as restarting a discussion that seems to have ended 2 days after this forum was created seems a little absurd, and would have constituted thread necromancy anyway, which is considered a great sin on most of the previous forums I have belonged to.

The thread I created provoked an amount of discussion on the topic that a reviving of the dead thread likely would not have, especially given that most discussion would likely have centered on thread necroing as it has here.

3 hours ago, 6tails said:

Not for a game that was yet to be released.

Well, as Willow pointed out::

"Use our search utility to see if someone has already posted a thread on your topic. It's better to revive an old thread with fresh on-topic information than to create a new copy of an existing thread."

That's when you tell the complainers to GFTS and proceed with the conversation anyways.

I don't really see where it not yet being released plays into this really?

To also quote Willow: "Duplicating threads is against the rules yes, but that would be more for threads that are made pretty frequently or are still relatively active. But honestly speaking, starting a new thread for a topic that was dead and done with months ago is whatever."

The point I was making was that it would have distracted discussion of the actual topic, with telling people to leave likely derailing it further.