Desktop Thread

Sar

1 minute ago, Augmented Husky said:

snip

I don't know if it works on newer versions of Windows (because I'm a fucking Luddite and I hate new things) but in XP you could drag a folder to the edge of your desktop and it'd attach as a bar, kinda like the taskbar. So I made folders for all my shortcuts and put them around the three non-taskbar edges of the screen.

You can also right-click on the desktop and under "arrange icons" there should be an option labeled "show desktop items" -- unchecked it, and everything on the desktop is hidden.

• 2 weeks later...

My laptop is an HP TC1100 Tablet PC. All of the internal components are behind the screen, and the keyboard detaches. It's actually the second TC1100 I've owned, because I made the mistake of putting the last one in sleep mode rather than shut it down completely before putting it in the bag. TC1100s are notorious for running hot, and the old one woke up in the bag and baked itself so much that the GPU solder loosened. I dismantled it to try a last-ditch fix (sticking the mainboard in the oven to reflow the solder) which failed, and so before recycling the beast, I had the idea to make a wallpaper out of it for the replacement:

tabletguts.jpg

Everything's been scaled and tweaked to line up as close as I could manage, giving the illusion of a transparent screen. I got the idea from an aftermarket clear PSP casing replacement that included a "transparent" wallpaper (a photograph of the internals underneath the LCD).

And yes, that is an actual Nvidia GPU bottom-center of the shot -- a GeForce 420 Go 32MB -- part of why I chose this thing, the other part being the Wacom digitizer and pen. Damn good machine for $80.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

snapshot114.jpg

My UPS died during an extended power outage, and it happened just as I was logging out to shut down, and it somehow ate WindowMaker's dock settings, so I had to rebuild it from scratch.

Dockapps are asclock, asmail, a drawer, wmweather+, xterm, jpilot, firefox, sylpheed, vice, tksol, Affiche.app, docker, and Recycler.app.  Running programs are Firefox, Vice (running the Scene World diskmag), two xterms, and xchat.

The desktop wallpaper is "Praise the Blue Steel 1" from the old (and now all but lost) Propaganda GPL-licened abstract tiled wallpaper project.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ArielMT said:

snapshot114.jpg

My UPS died during an extended power outage, and it happened just as I was logging out to shut down, and it somehow ate WindowMaker's dock settings, so I had to rebuild it from scratch.

Dockapps are asclock, asmail, a drawer, wmweather+, xterm, jpilot, firefox, sylpheed, vice, tksol, Affiche.app, docker, and Recycler.app.  Running programs are Firefox, Vice (running the Scene World diskmag), two xterms, and xchat.

The desktop wallpaper is "Praise the Blue Steel 1" from the old (and now all but lost) Propaganda GPL-licened abstract tiled wallpaper project.

What OS is that?

4 hours ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

What OS is that?

Right now, it's FreeBSD.

I ran WindowMaker as my window manager of choice in SimplyMepis, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, straight-up Debian (which is on one of my laptops), and once upon a time Red Hat before it forked into Fedora.  There isn't a Unix or Linux distro that has WindowMaker as the default.  Also, I customized the dock and mini-window icons, including especially replacing the GNUstep icon with the old '90s NeXT logo.

Edited by ArielMT

I kind of want to find a new minimalist style, but I have a hard time finding a simple rainmeter hub where I can get the sort of stuff I like. So I end up just rearranging the few staples I have. I have a second monitor with some other stuff like a special clock and a visualizer, but there's a somewhat risque pinup on that one.

f71ae70d75e6df1c8b351e2fe813eabc.jpg

• Vae pinned this topic