Desktop Thread

Sar

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

snapshot208.thumb.jpg.c3c44f87be44707971b4a94e8180d5ac.jpg

Still running Unix as my main OS. (FreeBSD, specifically.)

Still running Window Maker as my desktop environment-free window manager.

Still got a thing for the NeXT computers look.

Still way behind on some of my spam folders.

Wallpaper is Chakats at the Onsen by A_Blue_Deer.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Vae pinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, phaolfal said:

i should really empty my recycle bin...

also, am i the only one who still uses w7? 

Capture.JPG

I dunno, but you're definitely the only person who still uses TeamSpeak.

Well, you and whoever you talk to on there, that is.

Bit much normal stuff In this thread. I don't mean plain, plain is a form of minimal. We have just... normal.

My mang though,

On 11/24/2015 at 4:02 PM, Sar said:

Dressing up for the winter.

2015-11-24-235849_1366x768_scrot.png

Is looking CLEAN. Smooth like dry ice.

And,

On 9/5/2016 at 7:07 PM, Vaer said:

My usual desktop:

Screenshot (3).png

And when I want to feel like a Space Fighter Pilot.

Screenshot (7).png

Is very fancy if a bit overwhelming in the second.

For me I have some old ones, because my current Windows is nothing to look at. Now that I'm running 10 Enterprise N LTSB 2016 (the highest echelon of windows you can get), it is clean enough by default that I leave things alone.

Here is a shot of 7 as I was in the process of getting ready to install 10 Enterprise N LTSB 2015:

ziLlllC.jpg

And yes, you are looking at a shot of 6 monitors in an array.

Right after I did install 10, I riced the fuck out of my Firefox:

XQpKCCq.png

And then I riced it even more. The top bar was so thin! Only two bars thick with one line of tabs, here there are two lines. I completely got rid of the title bar. Bit of visual glitching where the close button was pushed into the next bar down clipping under other buttons.

LIKw8c1.png

I eventually did my own custom colors for Winamp, too:

iBhEyHf.png

Here is another shot, taken earlier than the 10 install prep one. It shows a 3d industrial design modeling / rendering workspace:

zSGQ0x0.png

On Linux I don't do anything special really, not to those familiar with linux anyways. I'm not like Sar who goes for very custom and lightweight. I used to run gnome 2 with compiz and beryl back in the day. I just turned on all the effects and called it a day. I do the same now a days with KDE5 with Kwin effects.

2d7I6L3.png

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
On 5/1/2017 at 9:14 PM, ArielMT said:

snapshot208.thumb.jpg.c3c44f87be44707971b4a94e8180d5ac.jpg

Still running Unix as my main OS. (FreeBSD, specifically.)

Still running Window Maker as my desktop environment-free window manager.

Still got a thing for the NeXT computers look.

Still way behind on some of my spam folders.

Wallpaper is Chakats at the Onsen by A_Blue_Deer.

i know this post is from 2017 but i sincerely hope against hope you are still rocking this incredible combination today

• Like 1

On 7/23/2022 at 12:05 AM, WALFTEAM said:

i know this post is from 2017 but i sincerely hope against hope you are still rocking this incredible combination today

Sorry, not quite.  Window Maker ate my settings file more than once, so I tried other window managers and ended up liking one even more minimalist: WMX.

It doesn't do dockapps, so I got a little more creative with desktop programs.  Every hour, a shellscript I wrote runs to choose a different wallpaper image and overlay the sun, moon, radar, and framing images on it.  The programs top to bottom are xcal, xclock, 16 xbiff instances checking my mail, xload, some idesk icons, image overlays, and two groups of more idesk icons.

The sun and moon images are made by shellscripts that run a bc calculator script and ImageMagick to assemble image bits (rise and set times, phase, and status).

I used to have a script that grabbed and cropped radar images from the National Weather Service, but they changed from static images speedily generated on their servers to bloated JavaScript running in the browser, and I haven't found another reliable image-based source yet, so it still shows the last image it did get and assumes there weren't any more because the Internet went out. (Edit: And wouldn't you know, I find where their static images (stills and loop animations) went the very next day.)

Edit: Oh wow, jpeg compression ate the decoration colors. They're supposed to be the X11 colors black and goldenrod, rgb hex triplet #DAA520.

snapshot451.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...