Sony...what are you doing?

DevilishlyHandsome49

The trick is to stop buying stupid consoles and just use a PC. 

Despite microsofts attempts you will still have more control over the system.

(You can even use your controllers still) 

Also people have had mods on PC well before those games ever released their creation kits. Like day 1 unofficial patches that fix all the inevitably broken shit (it's a Bethesda game we are talking about) all provided from third party websites that don't have a huge corporate interference.

In summation: PC master race, get out console pleb :V 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Liovaire said:

The trick is to stop buying stupid consoles and just use a PC. 

Despite microsofts attempts you will still have more control over the system.

(You can even use your controllers still) 

Also people have had mods on PC well before those games ever released their creation kits. Like day 1 unofficial patches that fix all the inevitably broken shit (it's a Bethesda game we are talking about) all provided from third party websites that don't have a huge corporate interference.

In summation: PC master race, get out console pleb :V 

The Xbox Scorpio will raise the console level from peasant to knight.

Playstation NEO will stay a peasant console.

PCs have the delightful issue where you sorta have to both have money to buy a good gaming PC AND know what you're doing with a computer to play games on it. With consoles, the games are already optimized for the system, for the most part, so you can just play it without worrying over system requirements or whatever. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 6tails said:

That's no longer true with Microsoft and Sony releasing more powerful versions of current-gen consoles. Now you do have to worry whether you can play x game on the system at 720p or 1080p.

To be fair, its still not AS complex as the PC environment can be. Game optimization is still a whole lot harder on PC due to how many different setups need to be accounted for. Though it does seem like Microsoft and Sony are slowly chipping away at the benefits consoles might have. 

• iterative versions of hardware
  • day one patches for some games
  • constant sometimes necessary updates, where some updates may break something

I miss the old "Put in the game and it just works" thing that used to be.

• Like 1

When it comes to the PS4S, I'm not really seeing the problem with having a slim variant. Like...at all. We've seen this repeatedly since what...86? Atari 2600 Jr? Sega Genesis model 2 and 3? NES top loader? I can go on. Hell this isn't even limited to consoles And Sony's been doing this since day one. Every Playstation has had a slim variant since the original console 20 years back.

This should have been expected if anything. I don't know why suddenly console manufacturers can't release updated hardware with trimmed fat at a lower price. It's a cheaper option for people who don't have one yet but can't afford $400 for the better model.

And I'm with Rob and Chili. As a PC gamer primarily, consoles may be getting a bit more confusing what with online subscriptions 1 or 2 separate models, 1 hour fucking day one console patches (Nintendo wtf?), etc. It is still nowhere remotely as complex as getting into PC gaming. Let's not even try to blur those lines. Please. There's a huge difference between buying a single box with all the starting peripherals you need and buying 7+ parts that need to be compatible with one another and put together. 

I really don't get all this talk of how complicated PC gaming is, it really isn't at all...

You can make it more complicated if you want to build your own computer or insist on running every game on ultra settings, but other than that, you really need no arcane knowledge to buy and use a decent computer. I can run pretty much any game I have tried on at least medium settings, and I just have a stock mid-range computer (which was only about $500-600).

You get the advantages of better graphics/graphic options, less paid subscriptions, much cheaper games, mods, and a much greater diversity of games/genres with a PC over a console. So, yeah, PCs are the best.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 6tails said:

Last i checked, consoles didn't come with a monitor.

Disregarding handhelds and laptops, there no gaming platforms that come with a monitor. I don't see how that's worth bringing up. Its picking at pieces of the argument rather than looking at the intended meaning.

3 hours ago, Osrik said:

I really don't get all this talk of how complicated PC gaming is, it really isn't at all...

You can make it more complicated if you want to build your own computer or insist on running every game on ultra settings, but other than that, you really need no arcane knowledge to buy and use a decent computer. I can run pretty much any game I have tried on at least medium settings, and I just have a stock mid-range computer (which was only about $500-600).

You get the advantages of better graphics/graphic options, less paid subscriptions, much cheaper games, mods, and a much greater diversity of games/genres with a PC over a console. So, yeah, PCs are the best.

I'm not saying its complicated, but in the eyes of someone who's never built a computer before and doesn't know what parts are good and what aren't (and the benefits and cons between different graphics cards/processors), it can be very daunting to get into PC gaming. Originally, before I built my PC, I didn't know how to read the required/recommended system specs for games. Beyond OS, the information was gibberish to me. Someone actually has to take the time to learn and understand what all those mean and how they affect a game when building or even buying a computer. You don't want to end up with bad parts on someone's word that its a good PC. You need to be able to know if a game will run well on your computer, and that requires knowledge of what parts do what and how good the parts are.

There are also quite a few games that you have to tinker with in order to get to function properly on some setups. And if something goes wrong, you need to be able to know how to fix it. For example, the game Prototype has its internal resolution at maximum stuck at 720p. Then there's Dark Souls which originally needed DSfix to be bareable. And so on. Figuring out and finding out this information can seem annoying and daunting to some people. You might point out that those are just outliers and in general games with shoddy port-jobs, but regardless they are things that differentiate from playing on console. Getting Games For Windows Live games working nowadays is another annoyance that takes time that isn't such an issue playing on console as another example.

Comparatively speaking, consoles are much simpler products for people to grasp and understand. PCs are not complex, but they still take a bit of learning for people who have been on consoles all their life. And please understand, I'm saying this all as someone who now primarily games on PC and would be joyous if consoles died out. Its just, I used to game almost entirely on console and scoff at the idea of PC gaming. I used to scoff at PC gaming and because of this, I can see where people are coming from when they say consoles are simpler.

EDIT:

On another note you mentioned a greater diversity of games/genres.....I would argue that the PC is still lacking when it comes to Japanese games in general. Its been getting a LOT better in recent years (Tales of Berseria, Tokyo Xanadu, and Nier Automata being announced for releases at the same time as console versions is pretty rad, for example), but the console library for Japanese games is still fairly large and annoyingly so comparatively. Plus consoles usually get Japanese games first (almost every Square Enix and Idea Factory game). Oftentimes when a new Japanese game is announced for a Western release I feel like I have to ask for a beg just to get games released on PC and buy mediocre titles in the hopes of getting the better stuff.

5 hours ago, 6tails said:

Last i checked, consoles didn't come with a monitor.

No. But for a console you don't need to buy:

• a motherboard
  • a case
  • a gpu
  • a psu
  • a cpu
  • RAM
  • an operating system
  • a mouse
  • a keyboard
  • storage be it an HDD, SDD, or both
  • and a monitor or two (or three if you're livin' that high life :y)

And that's only the mandatory items. Then you you need to worry about compatibility issues. This doesn't even get into future upgrades, maintenance, the plethora of things that can go wrong during building (my first PC, my mobo was flexed right out of the box), miscellaneous items like optical drives, cooling, radiators, and allll the different variants of every item bulleted.

I go grab a PS4 for $400. It comes with a controller, possibly a game if I get a deal on a bundle, I plug in the A/C adapter, the HDMI, and download any automated necessary patches. Now sure you can buy prebuilt gaming PC's like the Revolt 2, but for hundreds more than any console available.

I'm not saying consoles are superior, but even with how things are now, they're still objectively faster and easier to get into than PC especially if you aren't technically inclined which most people who buy the boxes are not. The ease of use can't really be debated even if the lines are beginning to be blurred.

5 hours ago, Osrik said:

So, yeah, PCs are the best.

No, they're not that complicated anymore, but they're still 1) far more expensive 2) even if they're not that hard they're still more complicated than consoles at least when first getting into one. 

(but yes, PC's are the best y;)

Console gaming is putting too much faith in one company's hardware. One design flaw and the whole system is fucked. With PC gaming, parts can be changed and upgraded to expand the longetivity and abilities of the system, while if something in your Xbox breaks you have to go buy a new one, and if you want the latest features you have to buy a whole new system. 

Plus Xbox Live and PSN cost money to play online. Steam doesn't cost a cent to play online.

PC gaming is the way.