Mattress company makes a "tasteful" 9/11 themed commercial

DevilishlyHandsome49

I think people claiming that other terror attacks are less well publicised because they make America look bad need to be reminded that a large part of the 9/11 discussion has historically come from conspiracy theorists who think it was an inside job.

Furthermore, outside of the United States there are television channels which dedicate a significant amount of their time to blaming America for being the victim of 9/11, or accusing George Bush of secretly organising the attacks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_TV#History

This is of course, all complete bullshit, but it shows that people don't have any qualms with making the USA look bad.

I think 9/11 is clearly the most well publicised atrocity because it was the biggest and most apocalyptic, and because it fundamentally changed the state of security in the world.

42 minutes ago, Saxon said:

I think 9/11 is clearly the most well publicised atrocity because it was the biggest and most apocalyptic, and because it fundamentally changed the state of security in the world.

Because of that and I'd guess because it is useful for evoking "patriotism".

("patriotism" (as opposed to patriotism without quotes) being a mix of "if you aren't with us you are with them!"* and supporting flag-colored-confetti (i.e. mentions of the name of the country rather than actual values)

* Compare Görings "Ofcourse the people don't want war..." quote ). (And, before people claim that: No, I'm not saying Bush is a Nazi.)

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

5 hours ago, Saxon said:

I think people claiming that other terror attacks are less well publicised because they make America look bad need to be reminded that a large part of the 9/11 discussion has historically come from conspiracy theorists who think it was an inside job.

I'm aware of this fact. I am not one of the 9/11 conspiracy theorists because I have no knowledge of the subjects required to even jump into that. I don't know who's right, and I really don't care.

I was just pointing out that acts like the Los Angeles Times Bombing, the Wall Street Bombing, and the Preparedness Day Bombing are not discussed in schools despite being major events in American history; they helped decide labor issues and were part of the incentive to do things like pass the Progressive Amendments. They instead only talk about marches, protests, and men like Theodore Roosevelt - a man who only became president to push for any laws because of an act of domestic terrorism.

Acts like the Tulsa Race Riot and the Bath School disaster are not discussed in schools despite showing that major problems existed with certain systems in the U.S. government, and events like the Pottawatomie massacre are only discussed in the South because they can be used to demonize the North. Acts like the Wilmington insurrection and the Greensboro massacre are not discussed in my state because they emphasize racism and inequality present in my state back then and now.

We don't talk about the shootings of Jewish communities and even a shooting at our National Holocaust museum. We don't talk about the Millers. We don't talk about Wheeler and Baker. We don't talk about the Viper Team. We don't talk about the KKK insurrections. We don't talk about anything but 9/11 and whatever mass shooting happened that week.

We ought to talk about 9/11, but we don't talk about other key acts of terrorism despite their importance.

Terrorism is so important to American history that an American presence in WWI and WWII were decided by it. Our Civil War was decided by it. Our Civil Rights Movement was decided by it. Nearly everything about modern America has been impacted by terrorism.

5 hours ago, Saxon said:

I would suggest that timing has more to do with it. Americans had already been generally galvanized towards a distrust of the Middle East, and most earlier acts of terrorism had occurred either when the public did not care or when the public had no access to mass media.

• Like 1