charlotte riots

Gator

recently in charlotte, nc, some wonderful folks decided it would be a grand idea to bring back ye olde race riot days by "protesting" in the streets after a black man was shot and killed by a (black) police officer.  places of work have been shut down, the highway has been blocked off, and people have been injured, attacked, and shot.  stores (including the place i was working just last year) have been looted, cars damaged, fires started... and as is tradition, white people are being blamed.  C:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/21/keith-scott-shooting-charlotte-police-drop-gun

http://www.wnd.com/2016/09/riots-in-charlotte-after-fatal-police-shooting/

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/22/us/keith-scott-charlotte-police-shooting.html

i live less than half an hour away from this mess.  far enough (for now) that i haven't seen anything, but close enough that it could affect me if things continue much further.  my current place of work was closed early, but nothing drastic.  i'm just glad i don't work downtown any more.  being looted and having to barricade the store with pallets and shopping carts doesn't sound like much fun.  neither does being shot or having bricks thrown into your car while you're driving. 

but you know, "black lives matter" and all.  clearly this is the answer.

• Like 5

Read a post on facebook earlier pertaining to this kind of thing. Some tumblerette was talking about how people get upset when black people protest.

In this case the "Protesting" included:

• Looting a walmart
  • setting fires on the interstate 
  • putting a civilian in the hospital
  • throwing rocks and bricks at passing motorists causing car accidents.

On of my friends has been told not to go back to work until the state of emergency in Charlotte has been lifted. Shit is ridiculous. 

• Like 2

These riots remind me of the 2011 riots in the UK, which followed a police shooting of a suspect. Lots of people set fire to businesses and looted shops.
Compare that to a protest I think was staged successfully here. Protestors laid out hundreds of life jackets they had picked up off of Lesbos on Greece, to encourage Parliament to do more about the migrant crisis. That sort of protest engages passers-by and makes them want to find out more.
Being intimidated by lots of violent masked people setting fire to things doesn't make anybody sympathise. :\

Oh, and if anybody's interested, there is a black lives matter movement in England. They recently caused London city airport to close when they camped on the runway 'because climate change affects black people more than everyone else'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-37365009

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Saxon said:

They recently caused London city airport to close when they camped on the runway 'because climate change affects black people more than everyone else'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-37365009

They almost protested a legitimate issue right there, that climate change disproportionately affects the worlds poorest countries, but then warped it to try to fit their own agenda.

People in African countries (which are not who they are protesting about, anyways) are some of those that will be most affected by climate change, but so are those living in Oceania and poorer Asian countries, so it is really an economic/class issue rather than a racial issue, as they wish to frame it.

The poor black people in rich countries like Britain and America whom they "support" with their protests will not be affected disproportionately by climate change. All a protest like this does is to distract from and trivialize a real issue, experienced by people much worse off than those they wish to focus on.

• Like 5

I feel bad for innocent people who get caught up in these things, but that's about it seeing as how the police royally fucked up (twice actually if you consider the shooting in Tulsa)

2 minutes ago, Osrik said:

All a protest like this does is to distract from and trivialize a real issue

hmmmmm yes and no. I'd almost argue that media coverage of these sorts of things plays a big part in it too.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, willow said:

I feel bad for innocent people who get caught up in these things, but that's about it seeing as how the police royally fucked up (twice actually if you consider the shooting in Tulsa)

hmmmmm yes and no. I'd almost argue that media coverage of these sorts of things plays a big part in it too.

According to the news in this case a black cop shot an armed black man who repeatedly ignored instructions to drop his handgun. Honestly considering what I know about Charlotte people there were just waiting for the first excuse to riot and start looting stores. This isn't a protest, this is a bunch of hungry vultures piggybacking a social justice crusade to justify turning the town upside down.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Red Lion said:

According to the news in this case a black cop shot an armed black man who repeatedly ignored instructions to drop his handgun.

This is true, but every source so far has been pretty consistent on the fact that the police were looking for someone else so they had no reason to even engage him in the first place. That's what I meant by they fucked up.

Buut, knowing how these things tend to play out, I'm sure by the end of this thread someone will have posted some reason why they made him leave his car :u

1 hour ago, BlitzCo said:

I wonder where the next BLM riot of the month is going to be.

I'll tell you where it's not gonna be - Texas, because you're liable to get your ass shot trying to pull a stunt like that here.

except maybe in that hippie shithole austin

• Like 2

People conflating terms, making up stupid oxymorons like "state capitalism," then when the state (cops) kills someone, they take out their anger on capitalism (innocent electronics shop they robbed). That's how businesses and jobs gtfo out of those areas and let them turn into shitholes. I don't know if that CVS they burned down here is even coming back.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Rassah said:

People conflating terms, making up stupid oxymorons like "state capitalism," then when the state (cops) kills someone, they take out their anger on capitalism (innocent electronics shop they robbed). That's how businesses and jobs gtfo out of those areas and let them turn into shitholes. I don't know if that CVS they burned down here is even coming back.

So says Richie Rich.

You got the tattoo, or something?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rassah said:

They usually excuse it with "those businesses didn't give any money back to us so fuck em".

2 hours ago, willow said:

While influencing racial stereotypes. It's amusing to me that stuff like BLM is actually having the opposite effect of what they're allegedly trying to achieve.

53 minutes ago, willow said:

This is true, but every source so far has been pretty consistent on the fact that the police were looking for someone else so they had no reason to even engage him in the first place. That's what I meant by they fucked up.

Buut, knowing how these things tend to play out, I'm sure by the end of this thread someone will have posted some reason why they made him leave his car :u

I don't know whether or not you are within the US.

They mistook him for a suspect they were in the process of locating. In Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial District Court of Nevada (2004) it was established that police may legally identify a person in such cases that there is a legitimate need to verify a suspicion of guilt.. That police may disarm a suspect in the first place is statutory, but has been considered many times (Weeks v. U.S. is one). At any rate, the legality of temporarily detaining suspicious persons was established since the even more famous Terry v. Ohio case. Point is that the police did have reason to engage him, after which Mr. Scott himself was also instrumental in escalating the situation.

2 hours ago, willow said:

the police royally fucked up (twice actually if you consider the shooting in Tulsa)

It is worth pointing out that there is no unified police service. The city police of Tulsa are quite independent from the city police of any other location, or the Oklahoma State Police.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Jtrekkie said:

I don't know whether or not you are within the US.

They mistook him for a suspect they were in the process of locating. In Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial District Court of Nevada (2004) it was established that police may legally identify a person in such cases that there is a legitimate need to verify a suspicion of guilt.. That police may disarm a suspect in the first place is statutory, but has been considered many times (Weeks v. U.S. is one). At any rate, the legality of temporarily detaining suspicious persons was established since the even more famous Terry v. Ohio case. Point is that the police did have reason to engage him, after which Mr. Scott himself was also instrumental in escalating the situation.

It is worth pointing out that there is no unified police service. The city police of Tulsa are quite independent from the city police of any other location, or the Oklahoma State Police.

Fuck outta here with your facts and nuanced perspective, we got outrage to manufacture.

• Like 2

Over 16 businesses have been hit now. Semi trucks have been stopped on the interstate and looted. 

This isn't about black lives, police brutality or anything really. Like I mentioned this is about the scavengers in Charlotte jumping on the first opportunity to get their hands on free shit. Downtown Charlotte has always been a crap-hole of crime and poverty. There have been more peaceful demonstrations in the uptown areas but the highway, Tryon street and other downtown areas have been a mess of riots and looting. 

You know, because black lives matter.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Watching these videos makes me feel sick. :\

Worst thing about all of it is that if they ever had a point they've completely ruined it. This stuff isn't that far from where Gator lives so it's making me a little edgy tbh. The walmart that got hit is one he used to work at.

• Like 2

I think we're to the point where Black lives matter nutjobs are complaining just to complain.

Its like they have run out of their things to ruin for their enjoyment so they're going to ruin everything else.

Supporting evidence? Stuff like this.

When things that actually matter and real problems arrive, they calm down quick don't they?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Red Lion said:

Worst thing about all of it is that if they ever had a point they've completely ruined it. This stuff isn't that far from where Gator lives so it's making me a little edgy tbh. The walmart that got hit is one he used to work at.

Shit man they can't do that! Furry Lives Matter! Take to the streets, fellow furs!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Glowing Glass said:

When things that actually matter and real problems arrive, they calm down quick don't they?

When stuff like that video comes up I tend to hear the same rhetoric. "it's about white cops killing black citizens". BLM has an extremely specific and narrow scope, they apparently are not here to help the black community in anyway that doesn't relate to white on black police brutality

4 hours ago, SirRob said:

I was watching CNN last night, and the behavior of the protesters was shameful, they kept harassing the reporters. How can we respect your protest when you're acting like that?

I doubt CNN has even covered half the shit that's been going down around here. The protesters tried to light a cameraman on fire. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SirRob said:

I was watching CNN last night, and the behavior of the protesters was shameful, they kept harassing the reporters. How can we respect your protest when you're acting like that?

You only really need two brain cells to grind together to figure out that if you're nasty to reporters they won't portray your movement sympathetically.

• Like 2

Honestly, I find this a lovely example of where all these "noble ideas", like anti-racism in this case, end up.
There's always a group (or more), or even just individuals, that will hide behind it to further their agenda, use it as a "shield", or justify their action with them. Even if it really doesn't have anything to do with it.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Saxon said:

You only really need two brain cells to grind together to figure out that if you're nasty to reporters they won't portray your movement sympathetically.

Actually, they were, the reporters were trying to stress that the protest was peaceful. I'm assuming CNN is going to be more sympathetic towards them because of the network's political bias.

Just now, SirRob said:

Actually, they were, the reporters were trying to stress that the protest was peaceful. I'm assuming CNN is going to be more sympathetic towards them because of the network's political bias.

Le wut?

Trying to portray a protest as peaceful when the protestors want to literally roast your cameramen alive is dishonest.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Saxon said:

Le wut?

Trying to portray a protest as peaceful when the protestors want to literally roast your cameramen alive is dishonest.

To be fair I don't know if that fire happened before or after what I saw last night (about 10pm est), and I'm not sure if the on-scene reporter would have been aware of it.

1 minute ago, Saxon said:

You have honest journalists in the USA? Wow.... :)

I think there's a very real danger in circumstances such as this one for misinformation and exaggeration to run riot, much as with any debate tinged with historical precedent, one of the great 'isms' (racism, sexism, terrorism). Although there undoubtedly seems to be a lot of nasty things going on, I think we should remain skeptical about specific events until undeniably confirmed.

I don't know what the situation is in this protest/riot, but I do know that TV is the worst way to get a feel for it, short if just imagining it. Television crews are high-profile, easy targets for oppsition groups to dominate, presenting members pretending to be associated with the protesting while displaying bad behavior to discredit it. Better organized groups putting on pageant protests know how to dominate coverage properly to control their image (assuming other circumstances allow it and the news group itself isn't trying to shape their image). A disorganized group like this would be highly susceptible to opposition groups controlling their image. But, general information available also suggests that this could be the genuine nature of this crowd.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Faust said:

Shit man they can't do that! Furry Lives Matter! Take to the streets, fellow furs!

Let's loot all the stores too for free stuff and lit cars on fire because...  we can

:V

---

But in all seriousness, the situation in Charlotte is fucked up

36 minutes ago, DrGravitas said:

A disorganized group like this would be highly susceptible to opposition groups controlling their image.

There's also mob psychology to consider. Members of a group like this may act in ways that they normally wouldn't. Once a riot starts, it's hard for individuals caught up in the mess to make a conscious decision to leave.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, XoPachi said:

My friend says it's white peoples fault that a black cop shot a black man. That he was "pressured" by racism to do it. 
Black's can't think for themselves or make the right choices anymore, friendos. 

this, I hear a lot of shit like this

there was that one white cop who shot a black man who was trying to handle a severely autistic man playing with a toy truck, and he shot him for apparently no reason, hence the black fella asking why he was shot and the cop literally said "I don't know"

i think if anyone should be mad as fuck, its that case, be it racism, police incompetence, or both

then there's shit like what's just happened where a black cop asks at least ten times for a black man with a gun to drop the damn thing before shooting him

the shooting was justified, the riot was not

• Like 4

it's important to note that even if a black person is doing The Wrong Thing but is treated by the police in a way that is more inconveniencing than white ppl (say for instance, less patience, more terseness, more violence, extrajudicial killing) then the statement "Black people are treated unfairly by the police" is still a valid statement. Saying "This man is a thug and I personally believe he deserved to die" means very little like. When White violent criminals can be taken into custody without being shot with lethal force, you have to wonder what motivating factor is informing the decisions of police officers, that white ppl can point their guns at and shoot at police officers without still getting killed whereas this guy, what's the story, he had a gun on him that he was within his legal rights to have on him, given it's an open carry state?

Let's be real here if an old white dude said to the police that they couldn't take his guns away, second amendment, just started reading out nra brochures at the cops, do you think he'd get shot? Fatally?

But like the other thing I want to ask is what is a black person supposed to do in that situation. Put down their gun? When an unarmed black man can be shot with his hands up? (x) (x) Like, how realistically do you think this story is going to have changed. Black man gets what, pulled over? by the police, they tell him to put his hands up. He lives in a society where every day on the news he hears about people like him dying, because they look like him. He knows that his black skin is a death sentence. He doesn't even know why he's being pulled over because he's done nothing wrong, the police just think he looks like someone else

and then they notice a gun on his passenger seat, in the glove box, in a holster hanging over the back of the seat, wherever. They ask him to get rid of it. He's scared and says the wrong thing.

Or maybe there was no gun in the first place (x)

It's entirely plausible this man was driving along without incident, got pulled over without incident, and then was just... shot

EDIT: here's what the other side is saying about this shooting btw

http://blackmattersus.tumblr.com/post/150723696864/he-didnt-have-no-gun-charlotte-cops-accused-of

it seems the victim was a disabled black man sitting under a tree and reading a book, waiting for his child to get off the bus. He was approached by undercover cops, who claimed he had a gun and shot him

Gee it seems like, when you're under the impression that that's 100% what happened, rioting seems rather appropriate right? Just to put yourselves in their shoes

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Another Ampers& said:

Let's be real here if an old white dude said to the police that they couldn't take his guns away, second amendment, just started reading out nra brochures at the cops, do you think he'd get shot? Fatally?

Around here that's an actual possibility. Heck a white deaf guy was recently slain by the cops because the cop didn't understand sign language http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/crime/article96565352.html. But this kind of thing only makes the local news if it even does that.

While I can't speak for other cases, I don't believe this incident was racially motivated, A large number of the police force and the chief of police are black. The officer who shot this man was black. It wasn't a case of a white cop killing an unarmed black man. 

I'd argue that even if it was an unjustified incident of police brutality it doesn't excuse the rioting going on, the attacks on businesses and motorists or the violence (see trying to set people on fire) that got so out of hand they declared a state of emergency. All done in the name of "black lives matter". 

• Like 3

Fuuuck this is such a complicated thing and it feels like the majority of people in this thread just...idunno, i feel like what I say will get hated on, but whatevs

-First off, as to @Another Ampers& said, think about how many white people have aimed their gun, threatened or straight up attacked police, and get brought down without lethal force, yet a black man can have his hands up but still be considered a threat and get shot. Now, before you get to responding to this point, yes, its possible any person of any color can be considered a threat, depending on the situation, but we've seen so many cases of a black man, whether or not he was dangerous or not, with his hands up, not posing any immediate threat to police, get a KILL SHOT. The least a cop can do is taze or incapacitate them if they needed to bring the guy down but an immediate kill shot, because the cop "felt threatened"? You don't think there'd some kind of prejudice there?

Hell, lets go to the story of a black man getting pulled over and following the cop's instructions. He was told to get out of the car and then to get his liscense and registration. The man reached through his window to get it and cop immediately thought he was getting a gun and was shooting to kill him! Now luckily the guy didn't die, but even if you follow instructions or try to with all the pressure built on you, you could die cause of a paranoid or prejudice cop. This is what's so scary about this. When I start driving and forbid I ever get pulled over, I could be seen as a threat simply cause of how I look and if I get the wrong cop and he thinks im making a move on him or im reaching for a gun, when all I'm trying to do is follow procedure, I'll be dead. 

-Now, the riots. I don't agree with them. I also don't agree with BLM being called a terrorist group. Once again, a group or cause with origins of non-threatening intentions, generalized by the media and people as violent because the extremists get the most spotlight and attention.

That being said, I get why the riots are happening. This has reached a boiling point, for police britality in general and nothing being done about it. Good cops are tainted by the all the bad cops in this country giving the entire police force a bad reputation. The worst they'll get sometimes? Paid leave or a suspension.

Now, they're have been peaceful protests against this but you think they get nearly as much coverage? Plus, at one protest, someone got pepper sprayed by an asshole cop and the person did nothing wrong. 

So what seems to be left to get the point across? Violence and involving the issue in our entertainment. NFL players not standing for the pledge and everyone gets pissed off cause all the serious stuff is getting mixed in with their sports. Riots get attention, get people talking. Peaceful protests barely get the attention they should unless they greatly interrupt everyday life. Its fucked but thats how it is. Its sad that violence, destruction, and death is the only way to really get a point across with an issue or get people talking about it.

• Like 3