Yet another gender related rant

Vallium

...I had a rough night so bear with me.

I think most people who are familiar with me are aware that I have a disdain for gender related roles and norms.

So excuse me if I ever run into a post in which I have to correct the fallacy of it's gender-related bias.

As someone who is biologically female. Ive grown up with a lot of cultural standards that should be followed or adhered. Specifically in my living space. As I age I naturally gravitated away from that, and I could do so, because as a nice touch people like me could be dubbed 'tomboy' and get away with masculine related things. (This is rather outdated as of now because most 'masculine' things are stupid in being called so and could be deigned to either gender i.e getting dirty, playing with bugs, roughhousing)

You cant have equality with double standards, some movements like radical feminism show that (sorry feminism, 'tis true). Boys cant get away with femininity...not without being called names like "faggot", "pussy", etc. Boys are expected moreso to live under heavy guidelines of their sex. If a boy is gentle, likes pretty things, soft, and emotional...it is apparently considered unmanly.

Now I get that things are moving away from all of these old concepts fairly well, but they still exist. I still see posts on occassion condemning males for "unmanly" behavior. So what? What the hell does it even matter? Why CANTa guy like this or act like that?

As someone who's constantly been for berated for not acting feminine" and doing what I have to...its not fun to see when people make comments like these, and I gently attempt to correct these. Why?I refused to wear dresses, I was even bribed to do so...$100, $500,$1,000, and I refused. At the time I was like 12, for a twelve year old thats a lot of money, but money doesnt mean anything. I was once told "Boys will never like you if you dont start acting feminine", I. Dont. Care. As if I was what I was to get people to like me, because clearly my parents dont like me. And secondly, this is a flat out bullshit lie...so many people have seemed to openly love me as I am without the smoke and mirrors of a lie that was meant to keep me in some proverbial box of standards that make no damn sense...like we somehow attributed colors on the manly and womanly spectrum without realizing nature dictated no such thing and all spectrums of light can be seen by anyone (Except birds, males are more colorful. Faggot birds)

Note: Im aware gender roles and transgender are two different things and one can be happy as a 'masculine' female or 'feminine' male without trying to change gender to fit in a role, In fact, the less roles we have the better off we'll be. Being transgender is another thing...that involves more facets to gender dysphoria. Im aware of this, and its not the only reason to whatever gender related issues I may have, all that is another rant or another time.

TL;DR Dont be a dick to my cis girly bros.

...and pizza rolls not gender roles

• Like 3

Money > Morals, sometimes. I have -1.58 dollars all around. I'd totally wear something I hate for a grand. 

But I do feel you on the rant.

was very strong willed and stubborn, if I would wish you in my situation instead for free monies I would.

It probably wasnt that high...I was young. I dont remember much but it sounded high and kept getting higher

Edited by WolfNightV4X1

I hate gender norms. I also hate when people are put in a negative light for having "gendered" mannerisms (i.e. guys acting feminine, girls acting masculine, or the opposite, ect.). Like holy hell, you'd think people would just let people have their mannerisms and personality traits in peace, but god forbid should the girl get too "boyish" or the guy act all "girly". I'm pretty quick to call people out on bitching about that kind of thing.

People bribing their children to conform to those gender norms is a new level of shit.

• Like 4

Offered money to wear a dress? You poor baby. :v 

Also, you have barely even begun to stratch the surface of price that can be paid for defying gender norms and didn't even address the underlying problem of why people feel a knee-jerk reaction when they are subverted. 

Kinda expected more from this thread.

Offered money to wear a dress? You poor baby. :v 

Also, you have barely even begun to stratch the surface of price that can be paid for defying gender norms and didn't even address the underlying problem of why people feel a knee-jerk reaction when they are subverted. 

Kinda expected more from this thread.

was bewildered and uncomfortable at why it was so desperate I must do it ;^; It was more the concept really.

• Like 1

I was once told by one of the doctors handling my transition that I should get a purse if I want to be a woman. All I could do was giggle uncomfortably.

As far as I'm concerned, what you feel your body should be has fuckall to do with what you wear or what you like or what goddamn products you use. I also kinda fucking hate the term "tomboy", since while I do wear feminine (or androgynous at most) clothes, I wouldn't wear dresses or make up. So by tomboy logic that would make me... what? A boy who wants to be a girl who wants to be a boy?

It's fucking dumb. :|

Gender and presentation are kind of two different things, most people want to be themselves and some of which ties into their birth/perceived gender and some doesnt

People dont really seem to not like when you do the "opposite" thing more often than not, though.

Edited by WolfNightV4X1

I find the gender roles to be very annoying, and they aren't something I have ever ascribed to.

Maybe because I also look to other cultures for inspiration, when I get the chance.

I wholly agree you don't need to go anywhere near a gender role to be that gender, and I personally would not wear a *frilly* dress or a shit-ton of makeup (only tried it to hide stubble and the like). 

And here I feel people should just go ahead and like whatever they want, as long as they aren't harming others. I just think people are afraid of change. As I learned in sociology, deviation from the norm is the best catalyst for social change, so embrace yourself. Be who you want to be, not what society wants you to be. Live life, man.

As I learned in sociology, deviation from the norm is the best catalyst for social change

And to be fair, we are seeing a pretty decent amount of social change.

Even though gender roles are still and issue, society in general is a lot more relaxed about it than it was when I was a kid.

• Like 1