Which is Worse? Being Infamous Or Being Unknown?

Socketosis

Which is worse?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What is worse?

• Die and be infamous
    • Die and nobody ever knows you existed
    • Anyone can see, nothing really matters, nothing really matters to me

It really depends on what you're infamous for. I'd rather not go down in history  as a murderer or a serial child molester, but maybe something badass like a drug lord or the dude that brought down the US govornment and like, stuck it to the man, maaan

I picked being unknown even though I don't particularly care if I'm remembered or not, because I'm pretty sure it's human nature to want some kind of legacy. That's why people do all kinds of crazy shit (good and bad) to begin with.

Dying and having your family live with the shame of what you may have done is probably worse than never living or dying in obscurity.  Being infamous can be cool if you are the leader of a social rebellion or something and is way better than wasting your life.   Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me.

• Like 3

It depends on what I would be infamous for, as in certain cases, I think that infamy can be more a subjective label than an objective one.

Probably the largest example would be with revolutionaries; while many successful democratic revolutionaries are now viewed in a positive light, at the time many were seen as traitors, even by those the revolution would benefit. This was certainly true in the American Revolution; the large segment of the American population loyal to Britain certainly saw the revolutionaries as nothing more than traitors causing chaos and destruction, and most probably continued to think of them so after they succeeded.

For more objective cases of infamy, however, I would rather be unknown than have done something horrible.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nova said:

I like being unknown.

I dont want privat things being outside of my house.

Also you would get raid by annoying brain ded crazy fans.

Also feckin paparazzis would stomp my plants to death for photos of me and NOBODY KILLS MY PLANTS.

You must've done something really special for people to be rushing to get photos of your dead body.

• Like 1

I'd be contented with dying knowing that I did good, I don't care whether people remember me. I hope the good I do does effect people in positive ways and even if they don't know it, that will be in a way my memory or imprint that I leave.

• Like 2

How has no one quoted Fabius Bile here?  I must be the only 40k geek here;

If a man dedicates his life to good deeds and the welfare of others, he will die unthanked and unremembered. If he exercises his genius bringing misery and death to billions, his name will echo down through the millennia for a hundred lifetimes. Infamy is always more preferable to ignominy.

But, in general, ignominy better serves humanity in the short term.  Infamy...  It really depends on what kind of infamy.  If we're talking on the level of war criminals and dictators, the history lessons can serve as cautionary tales, and people may even have a begrudging respect for the sheer scale of the matter.  But if it's for something gross, like being some small-scale or individually deplorable filth?  Give me the quiet passing.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, AyGee said:

How has no one quoted Fabius Bile here?  I must be the only 40k geek here;

If a man dedicates his life to good deeds and the welfare of others, he will die unthanked and unremembered. If he exercises his genius bringing misery and death to billions, his name will echo down through the millennia for a hundred lifetimes. Infamy is always more preferable to ignominy.

But, in general, ignominy better serves humanity in the short term.  Infamy...  It really depends on what kind of infamy.  If we're talking on the level of war criminals and dictators, the history lessons can serve as cautionary tales, and people may even have a begrudging respect for the sheer scale of the matter.  But if it's for something gross, like being some small-scale or individually deplorable filth?  Give me the quiet passing.

Plus there's always the chance that you unite the rest of humanity against you and help move technology along by forcing everyone to move prototypes and stuff into production as the whole world combines its united might in order to destroy you if you go big with the infamy!

• Like 1

I enjoy my anonymity among civilians, its more of a nightmare to be generally hated by the public...

If I must be famous I wouldnt be good famous either, because even famous in a good way affords absolutely no privacy and puts all the mistakes and issues you have in the spotlight...

My brand of fame would be famous in my lifetime under a pseudonym, famous in the afterlife under my real name when Im dead.

• Like 2

guys, remember the definition. 

infamous |ˈinfəməs| adjective

well known for some bad quality or deed: an infamous war criminal.

• wicked; abominable: the medical council disqualified him for infamous misconduct.
• Law, historical (of a person) deprived of all or some citizens' rights as a consequence of conviction for a serious crime.

i want terribly bad to be remembered by some people when I'm gone. but if i were remembered for bad things i would rather not have lived.

• Like 2

Depends on the kind of infamy and what it produces.

Is it going to give me material gain? Power? Is it going to give me stability, albeit unfavorable stability in life?
Then I'll take infamy.

If it's just gonna net me attention, then I'll take being forgotten.
The attention, in itself, really means nothing to me.

• Like 1