Favorite enemy designs

TrishaCat

You know how some games have those really interesting enemy designs or enemies that just look super badass that you totally love the look of? And maybe even you really like fighting them because of their designs. Tell me about em'. What are your favorite enemy designs in video games?

Here's some of mine:

dusk kh2.png

Dusk (Kingdom Hearts II)

wendy nier.jpg

Wendy (Nier)

tiamat ffxii.png

Tiamat (Final Fantasy XII)

1451382505849.jpg

Terminator (Shin Megami Tensei II)

1457492382497.jpg

Hecate (Shin Megami Tensei II)

• Like 3

I really like enemies that are not just bullet sponges but have specific "weak points" where you need to hit, they have an irrational but telegraphed pattern of attack and shout comical taunts at you

Dark Souls bosses come quite close but not quite

I mentioned this in General Chat/Timewaster, but.. Urban Assault's Taerkast faction

A monastic order of Neo-Luddite druids hailing from northern Africa who command mysterious metaphysical abilities and World War I era military equipment, who are somehow still a serious force to be reckoned with in a post-apocalyptic wasteland filled with drone hovertanks and hypersonic jets -- as well as not one but two invading alien species.

Whereas everyone else goes at it with fighter jets, flying saucers, and helicopter gunships, the Taerkastens bring biplanes, zeppelins, and WWI Mark I tanks to the party, and actually kick a lot of ass. Their Leonid tank in particular, although the slowest ground vehicle in the game, will go toe-to-toe with nearly every single other ground vehicle and emerge victorious. Their Zeppelin can take as many as three direct hits from a Rhino's tactical nuclear artillery rocket before it goes the way of the Hindenburg, and drops its own blockbuster bombs that can delete entire armored columns in one go.

Each faction maintains a single centralized command center, a floating battle platform that doubles as a factory, known as a Host Station. Most humanoid factions have large armored mother ships using advanced antigravity technologies. What do the Taerkastens do? They take a literal stone fortress and float it with secret metaphysics, which also allow them to draw power from the earth itself. Crazy shit.

SLk8t9B.jpg

4PDP4cW.jpg

ZBk2s5w.jpg

3udfoI7.jpg

Darvograhellix Organism from Super Cyborg is my favorite boss/enemy in video games. I love how nasty and odd he is. Can't really be compared to any one specific enemy really. He melts down humans for nutrients for the embryo that you can see him feeding (the pink tube going off screen) The two little heads that vomit into the mixture is a nice gross touch. It just reminds me of every nerdy science fiction obsessed grade school who just let their imagination run wild on paper and made crazy monsters. I always loved stuff like this myself. 
And even when his face blows up, his eyes still attack you when he should be deader than dead.

160ba5af5a7cacecbfd717caca7f148c.png947a80cc7380ecb0c4ce733023df3b45.jpg1850a30060e75d4e2fbf978736f513ec.png

Some other stand outs for me were Alien Cell from Contra Hard Corps, Kimkoh Beast from many other Contra games, and Bacterion from Gradius 3.

aliencell.gifmonster201.pnghqdefault.jpg

I like this boss here a lot. The stage 3 boss in this game is my second favorite. I always like when shooters have ominous bosses that are restrained to something then after enough damage get released and go crazy.

And goddamn, when a boss explodes in this game, it fucking explodes.

I'm only going to post enemy mooks because otherwise I would be posting thousands of pictures of Bowser and Wolf O'Donnell.

This cutie from Tales of Legendia:

Egg_Bear_(ToL).jpg

This cutie from Zelda:

Hyrule_Warriors_Dragons_Dinolfos_(Render

These cuties from Golden Sun:

250px-Kobold_Dark_Dawn.jpg300px-Wolfkin_Cub_Dark_Dawn.jpg120px-Rat_Soldier_Dark_Dawn.jpg

And of course this cutie from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2:

FFTA2Werewolf.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Cave makes my favorite machines. They almost always have an extremely unique shape that look nothing like conventional ships or any vehicle really, but the function is always clear. These are all from the DoDonPachi series.

f0054431_49b2878c7b2f5.gifenemy_boss_senkou.gifenemy4_dogaku_L.jpg

enemy_boss_aifake.gifenemy_boss_pafes.gifenemy_boss_ranryu.gifenemy3_genbu_L.jpg

Wish I had the sprite for Genbu, the 3D rendered one.

f0054431_49b07be059c69.gif

This one's my absolute favorite though. I like him because he's scary. He gets right in your face close enough where moving forward a pixel would kill you then starts firing massive laser cannons while strafing forcing your movement. He then backs off and sprays bullets in big difficult radial patterns.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hold on. I have to go back to DoDonPachi for a second. These enemies have the best names. lmao
What do you think you'd name something like these? Tanks? War Mechs? Battle Cruisers? Some serial number like MA-403 or something like that? Welp we got...

enemy_08kigaku.gif
Instrumental Music

enemy_boss_senkou.gif
Area of Study (I don't know why they changed his name from Senko to that)

enemy_01gigaku.gif
Ancient Music

enemy_10pink.gif
Pink.... That's it. :l

enemy_10hiderainge.gif
Cruiser High Drain Jefferies 

enemy_08shown.gif
And Fortune of Business

• Like 1

download (2).jpg

Why these fine gentleme-- sorry-- FUCKING ASSHOLES from Serious Sam. 

Splatterhouse fetus.jpg

Splatterhouse again. This time it's these crawling melted fetus things. I feel bad for them.

Extra_Springtrap_1.png

I never played FNAF 3 (or any FNAF game) But I always thought Springtrap looked super cool. I guess I have a thing for stuff that is decaying/ rotting, but still somehow functioning.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

lavos.png

I really, really like Lavos' design as just kind of an incomprehensible space tick that kills the shit out of you because it's an animal, and that's what an animal does.
I was actually pretty fucking disappointed that it turns into Cell, and then a space suit... thing (because god forbid Akira Toriyama make aliens that don't look like people), but I can overlook that just because I like its outer design so much.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vae said:

lavos.png

I really, really like Lavos' design as just kind of an incomprehensible space tick that kills the shit out of you because it's an animal, and that's what an animal does.
I was actually pretty fucking disappointed that it turns into Cell, and then a space suit... thing (because god forbid Akira Toriyama make aliens that don't look like people), but I can overlook that just because I like its outer design so much.

I notice JRPG's do this a lot. They'll have a game full of these grandiose boss designs and then the last boss or typically the last phase of a last boss is just...a person. lol
Like way to cap off an 80 hour game with the most anticlimactic thing I could possibly fight. Yes, that's very intimidating and raises the scale and tension. Someone my size. Cool.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 4/11/2017 at 1:40 PM, Nova said:

Moja.jpg.ba5f90cbb3d7eda8672ab9f00893437f.jpg

...M-Mr. Popo?

I really liked Seath the scaleless's design. When I first encountered him I couldn't help but go, "Wow, pretty."

293499.jpeg

The Vagina Gaping Dragon.

dark-souls-1-4e6026281982a.jpg

Blackmore's cool shadow from Order of Eclesia

hqdefault.jpg

The Dopefish: Simple. Terrifying. Effective.

commanderkeen.png

Redeads. The rapists of the Zelda universe. *shudder*

He_46ae0f_2960138.gif

Lunar. The gun-wielding sentai wolf furry that pilots a giant robot wolf-motorcycle whom you fight while riding a cat that's riding a missile. Awesome!

Hdbe1w3.pngb2be8d6f37d312ba0841b422f5c5d24b.jpg

Lesser Dog and Doggo. All my pets!

2ljkkFa.gif

f9d62e2245a4be13896153491940cd7fe383dca2