Ants are Brutal

FlynnCoyote

I just watched a tiny little generic ant attack a bee that was on the ground. The heat here makes it hard for them to fly sometimes and on hot or humid days like today you tend to see bees and butterflies on the ground a lot in this area. It puts them at the mercy of what's on the ground. Like ants. 

This ant, this fucking tiny tiny little insect, single handedly attacked and killed a poisonous insect twenty times its own size. There were no other ants close by. It was alone.

It bit the bees legs and wings, and when the bee spazzed out and flipped onto its back the ant crawled all over it and just kept on biting until the bee was just a twitching mess. 

Then this ant, this tiny little badass ant, hauled this twitching bee carcass off towards wherever its nest was all by itself without any trouble at all. The ordeal went on for about fifteen minutes. I glimpsed the bee trying and failing to get its wings to work while I was out hanging clothes and I had to investigate, and I saw the whole thing unfold.

Ants look cute, but holy shit they're tiny little murderers. A Bug's Life and The Ant Bully lied to me!

• Like 1

Ants are freaking awesome.

I find it amazing to see when you see armies of them all over something like a dead cane toad, it's really impressive to know they'll have cleaned that up within the next few days. I think that's a big reason they're such big decomposers.

8 minutes ago, Revates said:

Ants are freaking awesome.

I find it amazing to see when you see armies of them all over something like a dead cane toad, it's really impressive to know they'll have cleaned that up within the next few days. I think that's a big reason they're such big decomposers.

It is amazing to see them in a swarm like that, but this was the first time I'd seen first hand what one of the little bastards could do on its own. My whole opinion of ants has just increased like... 32% more respect than before. O.O;

• Like 1

The ant you saw is hero to the colony and will be promoted to be the queen's husband (king). That bee carcass the lone hero ant carried to the nest saved the lives of so many ants and their offspring. That (unnamed) ant will be remembered

7 minutes ago, Snagged Cub said:

The ant you saw is hero to the colony and will be promoted to be the queen's husband (king). That bee carcass the lone hero ant carried to the nest saved the lives of so many ants and their offspring. That (unnamed) ant will be remembered

His name shall be Skittles and he will be remembered long after he freezes to death next winter or gets eaten by a bird or stepped on before then.