FA Trouble Tickets/Suspensions (+ban reasons) leaked

Kalmor

I doubt that Toxic was banned for hiding a problem which everybody can find out about easily on twitter. I think deliberately redistributing users' details because you don't like their opinions was probably perceived as pernicious and sniping behaviour.

Re-posting somebody's identification to prove a point because you heard them say they're not worried about it is horrible behaviour.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Saxon said:

I doubt that Toxic was banned for hiding a problem which everybody can find out about easily on twitter. I think deliberately redistributing users' details because you don't like their opinions was probably perceived as pernicious and sniping behaviour.

Re-posting somebody's identification to prove a point because you heard them say they're not worried about it is horrible behaviour.

I think it was moreso because he kept spamming Dragoneer about it.

6 hours ago, Socketosis said:

I think it was moreso because he kept spamming Dragoneer about it.

Well, under California state law, companies must inform their customers of any potential data breaches containing personal information. IMVU, FA's parent company, is based in California.

IMVU/Neer are legally required to issue a notification and they're refusing -- apparently Neer has known about these leaks for a week, so he's probably just hoping it'll blow over like every other scandal.

Judging by their twitter, ToxicAudri is trying to get the CA Attorney General's office involved now.

• Like 2

I think that we already were informed that the site was hacked, so I would have thought the notification of loss of any information submitted to the site is implicit.

I'm not sure whether spelling it out on the site could have negative repercussions as it could motivate people to sift through the stolen data who otherwise wouldn't have, although I'm sure a thousand crooks already have. :\

Overall I'm just very surprised that anybody who views themselves as a moral authority 'teaching somebody a lesson' about web security would deliberately make third parties' data accessible to criminals. At that point they're not 'helpful people pointing out a flaw in the system', they're just regular accessories to crime.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saxon said:

I think that we already were informed that the site was hacked, so I would have thought the notification of loss of any information submitted to the site is implicit.

I'm not sure whether spelling it out on the site could have negative repercussions as it could motivate people to sift through the stolen data who otherwise wouldn't have, although I'm sure a thousand crooks already have. :\

We were notified that usernames and passwords were leaked.

It's now painfully obvious that the hack went much farther than what we were originally told, and there are now driver's licenses and other photo ID's (required by FA staff to remove age locks) that are being dumped with this latest leak.

Just now, Victor-933 said:

We were notified that usernames and passwords were leaked.

It's now painfully obvious that the hack went much farther than what we were originally told, and there are now driver's licenses and other photo ID's (required by FA staff to remove age locks) that are being dumped with this latest leak.

Yes, an additional announcement to make that clear is appropriate.

It is frustrating that there are people out there who don't have any qualms about releasing people's photo identities en masse to the internet.

7 hours ago, Saxon said:

Overall I'm just very surprised that anybody who views themselves as a moral authority 'teaching somebody a lesson' about web security would deliberately make third parties' data accessible to criminals. At that point they're not 'helpful people pointing out a flaw in the system', they're just regular accessories to crime.

Where was it claimed that was their intention? If they wanted to teach him a lesson, why are they slowly dribbling out parts of the leak instead of doing something Dragoneer can't ignore?

27 minutes ago, Socketosis said:

Where was it claimed that was their intention? If they wanted to teach him a lesson, why are they slowly dribbling out parts of the leak instead of doing something Dragoneer can't ignore?

No statement, some users simply speculated about it on page 1.

I finally had the chance to go through all the tickets I handled during my stint as an FA admin, and neither I nor any user whose account I handled posted SPI to my tickets.  I had intended to warn such FA users myself if there was any, but I guess I recognized the permanence of FA's ticket system.  IDK about notes, though; I deleted all of mine as soon as I no longer needed them. [Edit: All of my notes with anything sensitive, that is.]

Edited by ArielMT

4 hours ago, Gamedog said:

Is this not imvu's fault?

It could probably be pinned on them, yeah.

I just checked the CA AG Data Breach site -- no notifications have been filed regarding this. Since IMVU is headquartered in CA they're subject to the state's Data Breach Reporting law -- and currently in violation of it.

https://oag.ca.gov/ecrime/databreach/reporting

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Socketosis said:

Why do they put PERMANENTLY BANNED in all caps? It makes their statements sound angrier.

Because that's how the Ivory Tower rolls.  That actually looks like Dragoneer's writing style, now that I think about it.

4 hours ago, Gamedog said:

Is this not imvu's fault?

Whether it's their fault or not, it's definitely their problem now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ArielMT said:

Because that's how the Ivory Tower rolls.  That actually looks like Dragoneer's writing style, now that I think about it.

Whether it's their fault or not, it's definitely their problem now.

Oh I know, was just pointing it out cause people are solely blaming Neer

• Like 1

On 10/15/2016 at 5:43 PM, Saxon said:

Not only that but from their twitter they're posting info there which is only a matter of time before their account end up being suspended.

• 2 weeks later...