Not living life to the fullest?

FenrirDarkWolf

So I've been having several late night crises about how I've still failed to do a lot of stuff I've wanted to do I guess, and how time keeps marching on, so I'm going to bitch about it on a furry forum at 4AM because fuck my life. :^)

I still have yet to get a job no matter what I seem to do, and I'm pretty much dying inside because I NEED to go back to uni so I don't have to start paying student loans because, hell, my family is shitty poor. I want to help them, and I want to help me and it eats me up inside.

I still don't know how to drive because I'm honestly afraid to get behind the wheel. Being in a car more-or-less instantly put me to sleep. I can barely go 10 minutes in a car staying away, let alone an hours-long drive somewhere.

There's still a whole shittonne of things I want to do with performance like DCI and WGI (lol @evan help me, you're my only hope jkjk), but I'm pretty sure those things will never come to pass because it all costs way more than I can afford.

I want to visit @Mr. Sparta really, really soon at some point, and there's a whole slew of things I want and somewhat need to buy, but I can't because they can cost a lot.

tl;dr I'm poor and without money, I can't do shit, ie the same thing I always bitch about

• Like 1

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day 
Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way. 
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town 
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way. 

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain. 
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today. 
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you. 
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun. 

-Pink Floyd

• Like 3

It still boggles me that people "needs" to have a car to get around their own community. Am I the only one who takes public transportation? Be that as it may, there are two sides of the argument about job shortages, on one side I hear job shortage and on one side there are many jobs but millenials are just being picky. Perhaps you should start looking for odd jobs :V

Also Gratz to @Gator and @Naesaki in getting a job. xD

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mikazuki Marazhu said:

It still boggles me that people "needs" to have a car to get around their own community. Am I the only one who takes public transportation? Be that as it may, there are two sides of the argument about job shortages, on one side I hear job shortage and on one side there are many jobs but millenials are just being picky. Perhaps you should start looking for odd jobs :V

My town is not one to be walked around in during the night :u

1 hour ago, Mikazuki Marazhu said:

Public transport in the continental United States is abysmal, in many areas it is practically non-existent. Infrastructure is built around the car; with suburban sprawl making it essential to get pretty much anywhere. I live in one of the most developed areas of the entire country (Northeast), and I can say that public transport even here is awful from personal experience.

To the OP, riding in and driving a car are very different, I think you will find it easier to stay awake while driving with the amount of attention you have to pay to your surroundings. Longer drives can be a bit difficult, especially given the monotony of most major roads and highways, but if you have something to keep your attention to some extent (music, talking to someone in the car, etc.) it can really help to keep you attentive.

I would suggest you at least try to start driving, as being able to drive should greatly increase your chances to find a job, and will in general allow you more independence and mobility.

I take Public transportation since work even though it is unreliable at best. Most days, I walk.

For some jobs out of the way, having a car's reliable and makes it easier to get to many places without having to rely on a scheduled bus route that may or may not be on time. 

It still boggles me that people "needs" to have a car to get around their own community. Am I the only one who takes public transportation?

Personally, I've been walking several miles to work for a couple years now. Snow and rain. 

No one and nothing to depend on but your own body. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mikazuki Marazhu said:

Also Gratz to @Gator and @Naesaki in getting a job. xD

;n; it was a long hard road

on public transportation, some places don't actually have any.  but even if they do, not having your driver's license can affect your job prospects.  Not only does it close you off from opportunities that would require driving, but employers take having a license as evidence that you are responsible for your own transportation.  having to rely on the bus or a ride from someone else doesn't look as good.

Doing odd jobs is good advice, actually, though it is not a permanent solution.  Having experience to put on your resume or application is always helpful, even if it's not "professional" experience.  It still helps you build skills and, of course, earn money while you're hunting for a "real" job. 

as far as people being picky vs job shortages, there's a lot of both going on.  i do not advise being picky in the slightest, especially when so few places are hiring and when the jobs themselves are extremely picky. 

basically, take whatever you can get and never stop looking for opportunities. 

Some areas have little economic oppurtunity within reach by walking, how do you think the ghettos make it so hard to escape?

I'm very lucky to live in a city with good economy.....

@FenrirDarkWolf

The best thing may be to find an irregular type of employment such as the trustee of an elderly person, a baby sitter, a general handyman, etc.... these jobs can be usually found within a somewhat decent distant and are *something*.

I think a new area will do you much good when you get the chance, a good city makes all the difference.

• Like 2

*huggles* Sorry Fenny, jobs and cars are rough. I can especially sympathize with the driving thing, its so weird to start and is awful. 

I hope the next months and years open new opportunities for you, just make the most of what you have in the meantime, keep holding on to goals and stuff. Hang in there, man~

• Like 2

It sure can be rough in a smaller city/semi-rural area, with no car.

Due to visual issues, I am unable to renew my licence, until I get my cornea replaced, and then, get this hard contact to wear over it, and maybe glasses, all of which will cost a fortune in co-pays. (a condition called Kerataconus, thinning of the cornea...started in college, But at least you can't 'see' it: I mean, it's the clear part of the eye, so the eye appears normal to others, so I'm happy not to be disfigured) I live in Baltimore, and work closer to DC...a along commute, and I wanna find something cloer. But we have a decent train system here, and Metro and buses and light rail, so it's highly possible not to have a car, in a city.

But it sounds like you're not really in a city, proper, and only big cities have decent transit in the US.

It's a tough problem: I wish there was a way you could somehow get the funds to move to a place you could get to work by foot, bike or mass transit. Personally, when I had a job I could walk to, and said I had to have 'reliable transportation', I told them my car had broken down many times, but my feet had never failed me. That's what I'd like again. A car is nice to have, but I hated the feeling of having to depend on one, to get to work: it's almost like a trap.

Huh...maybe there is some way you could find a city with a reasonable cost of living, and rent a room with some friends...might be hard. Is there anything you can make and sell on the internet to maybe make some money? 

I'll keep trying to think of solutions, here. There may not seem like a way now, but I've seen furs escape similar situations, and you seem driven enough to make it happen.