Phoenix Forums' Cooking Thread

Ansitru

Everyone here needs to eat, so most of you probably have some recipes they like most, right?

So, seeing as there wasn't a thread like this before, I thought it might be fun to share recipes for confort-food, fancy-ass courses and fabulous desserts, among other things.

To kick it off, I would like to share a pretty easy recipe that yields an incredibly delicious chocolate chip chocolate cake. The full-fat milk can be swapped out for semi-skim or skim, btw.

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/35001/perfect-chocolate-loaf-cake.aspx

• Like 1

I was waiting for a cooking thread to surface, mwaha! :P Ah so many recipes, but I think I'm going to have to share this one. Make it almost every week now, it's just so simple to do and tasty.

That beef pie looks delicious, although I can't blame you for adding in carrots as it seems kind of bland without. Peas seem like they'd blend in nicely as well!

Yellow chicken curry is all that I eat at work because it's super easy, produces a ton of meals, is more or less nutritionally complete, and is p tasty.

Bake some chicken breasts and chop them up

chop up a whole onion

5-6 cloves of garlic, however much you like

2 cups of rice; I like a cup of brown and a cup of quinoa

like 4 or 6 tsp curry powder, 1/2 to 1 tsp ground turmeric, 1 tsp thyme, and a couple of bay leaves, experiment, go crazy, idc

6-8 tablespoons butter

throw all that crap in the rice cooker and drown it in 4 cups veg stock or however much is in the carton

set it and forget it

maybe stir it a little bit actually

whole house smells super strong of curry

eat curry for a week

repeat

oh yeah i also throw some corn and peas in there too after it's done cooking

Edited by Dijon
  • Like 1

I've got a nice little recipe for pizza dough I use quite often, pretty easy to make and always tastes great.

Sieve 500g of plain flour into a bowl, with 2 teaspoons of salt and 10g of dried yeast. Then pour 360 ml of water into the bowl (doesn't matter if it's warm or cold water) and mix it thoroughly.

Then put it onto a flat clean surface and knead it for 10 minutes straight. Put some plain flour onto the surface so the dough doesn't stick.

Then after you've done that, put the dough back in the bowl and put that in a warm place to rise for 1 hour. Once it's risen separate the dough into balls depending on how many pizzas you're gonna make, then you can roll them out and put the toppings on. Finally brush any exposed crusts with a very light layer of milk to ensure they don't burn or become way too crispy in the oven, cook the pizza at 200 degrees C for 18-20 minutes and then yay!! The pizzas are ready c:

I'd say this recipe is best for 3 or 4 pizzas. If you do it for two you're either gonna have very thick dough or  have a lot left over, and if you do it for 5 the dough will be way too thin. So you'll have to scale the measurements up or down according to how many pizzas you want.

Challenge: I have a microwave and a small minifridge at work, almost 0 cold storage at home, and 1.5 hours between when I leave home for work and when my shift starts.

For tools, I have a microwave safe bowl and disposable utensils and cups.

What can I cook, aside mac and cheese, or eggs?

Edited by Summercat

Challenge: I have a microwave and a small minifridge at work, almost 0 cold storage at home, and 1.5 hours between when I leave home for work and when my shift starts.

instant noodles

TV dinner

If ye seiously wanna cook tho, steamed rice. Top a raw egg on freshly cooked rice and add soy sauce. Stir it in. 

Or hotdog. Add water and oil to bowl. Put in hotdog.  Cook until it's cooked. Ye can also get some buns in there. Let the steam cook it for ye. 

Then theres dumplis. Steamed dumplings. 

Edited by yell0wf0x

That is an easy recipe! :3 Imma right that down. 

Ive grown fond of making a mince pie for my fiancé of late. http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mincedbeefpie_89198 (I just add carrots because I'm kinda a veggie fiend) I think I'll make this my signature dish. 

Hmmm. Savory mince pie? I have only had the sweet mince pie (Also known as Mincemeat) at Christmas and is my favorite pie in the whole wide world.  The dish you prepare looks a great deal like something my mother made called "Shepherd's pie."

I can only think of fast prepared stuff sadly,

But I bet you could get some of that ready-to-eat pre-browned beef, spaghetti sauce and spaghetti noodles and make spaghetti. I would cook the noodles first since they take the longest, Then heat the ready-to-eat pre-browned beef, then stir in the spaghetti sauce and reheat. I don't know how well your bowl full of water would continue to boil. It needs to boil long enough for the spaghetti to become al dente and that might become a tall order.

If you find you could get away with boiling the noodles in the water, you might graduate up to stuff like Buitoni's fresh pasta and sauces. I recommend the pesto sauce. They make good Spaghetti and Alfredo too. The only thing which concerns me is keeping water boiling in a bowl long enough to cook the pasta.  

On high a Microwave can boil water in 2-4 minutes, then after it is boiling I am sure you need moderate heat to keep it going, but you will have to make the transition of power levels fast. 

It is a real pity you haven't got a pot and a hot plate. When my brother worked security overnight in a graveyard and had all that paraphernalia. He basically had a Boy Scout chow box in his truck, which is pots, pans, scrubbing and cleaning supplies, a hot plate, skillet, he even had a collapsing stainless steel hibachi grill he could put charcoal into and cook steak once in a while. But then, he worked security on a graveyard where not much happened at night.  

There are of course things like Progresso soups, Campbell's soup, Hot dogs, Chef Boyardee, spam, canned chili and corned beef hash to go with eggs that you cook in the microwave. If you want something different and daring, you might even try eating canned haggis with your eggs. I thought the idea of haggis was disgusting but I really loved how it tasted once I got past what it is made of.

Edited by Skylar Husky

Ohhhhhhhh man. You guys wanna talk cooking... I cook so much fucking food it's disgusting.

This last two weeks I have made:

Chipotle-peach chicken, Bacam Corntater Chowder, Cloink (chicken and bacon with whatever vegetables I've got leftover... Cluck and Oink :D), Blueberry muffins, Pumpkin Spice Waffles (with chocolate chips and whipped cream ohmuhgahd), Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas, and a Ribeye with mushroom, onions, and tomatos on top. With broccoli and mashed potatooooess. Gonna make more Banana Chocolate Chip Walnut Coffee Cake tomorrow :U

I cook waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much.

(p.s. make fun of any of the names I come up with for my food and I'll cry)

Ooh, those look fancy @Joshi!

That is an easy recipe! :3 Imma right that down. 

Ive grown fond of making a mince pie for my fiancé of late. http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mincedbeefpie_89198 (I just add carrots because I'm kinda a veggie fiend) I think I'll make this my signature dish. 

That looks seriously tasty! I'll have to prod my parents to see if I can take over the kitchen for today, because it looks like a pretty good comfort-food.:>

I was waiting for a cooking thread to surface, mwaha! :P Ah so many recipes, but I think I'm going to have to share this one. Make it almost every week now, it's just so simple to do and tasty.

That beef pie looks delicious, although I can't blame you for adding in carrots as it seems kind of bland without. Peas seem like they'd blend in nicely as well!

I just had to. I love food and I love cooking. :P 

And I'mma write that recipe down as well! Easy recipes for after class = godsent.

@summercat

I know there are a couple of mug-recipes that you can make in a microwave, buttt.. I wouldn't exactly call them healthy for the most part. 

http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/1076271/meals-in-a-mug

• Like 1

I'm not very good at cooking, but I love making noodles. I want to expand my horizons around that. Boiling water is my liquidy canvas for the stringy starch creations I shall craft. Simple and cheap but effectively filling and tasty. And they go with everything! I like experimenting with sauces and seasonings.

YEEEEEEEEEES! I needed this thread! I share for all meat lovers!

Seared Steak, Sautéed Onions and Mushroom: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kjc4e8hs5c01nkp/Seared Steak%2C Sautéed Onions and Mushroom.txt?dl=0

I also recommend Tuscan Soup! http://allrecipes.com/recipe/23236/toscana-soup/

Edited by Spawtsie Paws
  • Like 1

Ok, I'm gonna show you guys how to cook a steak the right way

First, get your steak! If you're picky, get a fancy one from a butcher. I'm cheap, so I didn't:

steak01.thumb.png.44bc23ef753ac02d12ceda

Also, start your grill. Just crank it up to max. Then, with steak seasoning that I told you to get before, apply liberally to both sides of the steak:

steak02.thumb.png.99f5b258803369bee189e6

WASH YOUR HANDS!

While you're waiting for the grill to finish heating up, put some saladin a bowl and add dressing:

steak03.thumb.png.24a0a48f0822b490d8b6fa

Put the steak on the grill.  We'll want it about 2 minutes per side.

steak04.thumb.png.666c6043fb47a376301db7

No sense wasting time! Go back inside.

WASH YOUR PLATE!

While the steak is cooking, take a lump of mashed pertaters from the batch of precooked you made yesterday and put in on your plate. Cover it with some paper towel. Put the plate in the microwave and set it for maybe a minute or a minute and 15 seconds.

steak05.thumb.png.d849f09e9cc5f5a5cab947

Should be time to flip the steak! Only another 2 minutes, now:

steak06.thumb.png.c52903841b2ef22e9e0b60

Plenty of time to eat your salad! Then, go get your steak!

They say to let it sit for at least 5 minutes to seal in the juices. What a crock! Who lets there meal sit longer than it took to make?! Still, let it sit for at least a minute or 2.

WASH YOUR SPATULA!

Seriously, you're gonna catch the bola or something.

Ok, dig in! Mmmm! Looks a little overcooked, but not too bad. De-ee-licious!

steak8B.thumb.png.f8b04bc28aedf590cdfa89

Edited by DrGravitas
Remove duplicate image

Moelleux

moelleux.thumb.jpg.f92e54e425416aac3ae19

Ingredients

·         120 gr pure chocolate

·         60 gr powdered sugar

·         11 gr butter

·         3 eggs

·         150 gr white crystal sugar

Recipe

1. Melt the butter and chocolate on a low fire.

2. Put the eggs and the sugar together in a bowl and whip it with a mixer to a foamy mixture.

3. Slowly pour the molten chocolate into the egg mixture while gently stirring.

4. Let the batter rest for a night in the fridge.

5. Wipe some butter along your mold with some kitchen paper, sprinkle it with some flour and tap it a few time to get rid of the excess flour. Fill the molds with your batter using a spoon. Never fill them for more than 2/3 of your mold.

6. Let them bake for 10min. in your pre-heated oven (180°C).

7. Let them cool down for a bit before getting them out of the mold. Afterwards, sprinkle with a bit of powdered sugar.

8. TIP: Put a small strip of tinfoil in your molds to be able to pull them out more easily after baking them or use silicon molds. 

Mentsuyu is for me a must have sauce for japanese cuisine.

Ingredients:
1 cup Kikoman Soy Sauce/Any Light Soy Sauce
1 cup Mirin
1/2 cup sake
1/4 Dried Bonito Flakes

Instructions:
-Put all the ingredients in a pot.
-Let it boil and remove from heat. Cool completely in the pot.
-Strain bonito flakes.

I love it so much I sometimes drink the thing straight up xD

• Like 1

Fuck you guys, you're all making me hungry.
Also,

Mentsuyu is for me a must have sauce for japanese cuisine.

Ingredients:
1 cup Kikoman Soy Sauce/Any Light Soy Sauce
1 cup Mirin
1/2 cup sake
1/4 Dried Bonito Flakes

Instructions:
-Put all the ingredients in a pot.
-Let it boil and remove from heat. Cool completely in the pot.
-Strain bonito flakes.

I love it so much I sometimes drink the thing straight up xD

Are you actually Japanese or do you just like the culture? I've been wondering that for a while.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My favorite dish is an Irish Seafood pie. http://www.foodgeeks.com/recipes/irish-seafood-pie-20834 I first made it in home Ec class, and I love it. My second favorite has to be chicken/ eggplant parmesan.  I found the basic recipe here http://www.ragu.com/recipes/oven-baked-chicken-parmesan but I changed it up a little. I added two small cans of cream of mushroom soup, because it helps my husband and father in law not get heartburn from the tomato sauce. I also added about half a pound of fresh baby portabella mushrooms. I would have liked to add some small zucchini slices, but I am the only one in this house who likes them.

569711fb52c69_Chicken-EggplantParmasansm

Edited by Catilda Lily

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...