General Chat/Time-Waster Thread

Sar

14 minutes ago, Xaende said:

I did a quick search on her name... not the other way around. The idea being to find out if she's single (I still don't know the answer).

Looking up someone just to find out whether or not they're single, when you know so little else about them, is kind of fucking creepy.
Ngl.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Xaende said:

We met in person, but talked about other things. She seemed cool, so I did a quick search on her name... not the other way around. The idea being to find out if she's single (I still don't know the answer). I wouldn't have looked her up if we hadn't spoken beforehand. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Going along with what Vae said, such things will come out with time. Better to start up further conversations and connect with them online as well, rather than research. If they have a boyfriend, they'll bring it up eventually. Moreover, not knowing their likes and dislikes saves those things as conversation topics and allows them to get to know you as well through conversing about them. They're likely not researching you as well, afterall.

That said, a cursory glance doesn't hurt, and I assume that's more what you meant, but don't be afraid to jump in blind. They're not going to smack you down for talking with them just because they're not single.

11 hours ago, Vae said:

Looking up someone just to find out whether or not they're single, when you know so little else about them, is kind of fucking creepy.
Ngl.

Then I guess that makes me a creeper. An even creepier option might be to ask a coworker or mutual acquaintance, but I'd rather not give others the wrong idea.

Although we've talked, I tend to be "all business" and not ask such personal questions until I'm more familiar with someone. If she's single, then I may try to get to know her better.

People tell me I should put myself out there. That I have a lot to offer and should make an effort when it comes to this sort of thing, but it's hard for me to rationalize so I rarely do. Picture the kind of guy who goes around hitting on everything he sees. I'm the opposite of that guy.

I just happened to cross paths with someone who piqued my interest. It was a pleasant surprise. Not something that happens every day.

10 hours ago, DrGravitas said:

Going along with what Vae said, such things will come out with time. Better to start up further conversations and connect with them online as well, rather than research. If they have a boyfriend, they'll bring it up eventually. Moreover, not knowing their likes and dislikes saves those things as conversation topics and allows them to get to know you as well through conversing about them. They're likely not researching you as well, afterall.

That said, a cursory glance doesn't hurt, and I assume that's more what you meant, but don't be afraid to jump in blind. They're not going to smack you down for talking with them just because they're not single.

A quick search brought up her LinkedIn page, where the stuff I mentioned is listed. I'm on LinkedIn too, so she'll probably see that I checked out her page. The other first few hits didn't reveal much so I stopped there. It's not like I did a background check or even looked her up on Facebook (mine has been deactivated for a while now).

Considering what she does for a living, it actually wouldn't surprise me if she has already googled my name.

Is there anyone here who is a welder (any process) and in the UK preferably?

As someone overwhelmed by the amount of jobs I can go in once I finish the course I am doing I'm wondering about the pay and job security. 

Other reason being: advice from someone in job sector >> college careers advice bloke

So much Halloween candy. If they're trying to fatten us up, this is how it begins! Next comes Thanksgiving dinner, then Christmas dinner (or maybe replace Christmas with whatever you celebrate instead), and then New Years party stuff. By then the days will be short and the weather will cold, resulting in less outdoor activity. I should really start working out again.

Team meeting. They want to incentivize us, so they've decided to setup a committee to organize votes by secret ballot to nominate team members for selection by the commitee for various possible award categories (like most valuable team member) every month. Reward will come through Corporate Cash as usual. Ugh...

11 minutes ago, DrGravitas said:

Team meeting. They want to incentivize us, so they've decided to setup a committee to organize votes by secret ballot to nominate team members for selection by the commitee for various possible award categories (like most valuable team member) every month. Reward will come through Corporate Cash as usual. Ugh...

what is "corporate cash"?

3 minutes ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

sounds cheap and somewhat eugh

Ehhh, it's better than nothing. In other parts of the world it is used more directly in a "company store" which is actually just a discount reseller. We have access to those deals as well, but only use our cash directly. Like everything here, it's complicated, but it's still basically free money (minus applicable taxes) even if it's limited to Amazon.

• Like 1

No one home tonight so I got drunk and cleaned. I also worked on projects that weren't fun to work on.

Welcome to friday when I'm alone, apparently.

Srsly though. Cleaned a ton. Like fuck the floors are clean for once. Crazy.

I live with animals who do not clean :(

Not real animals like cats or dogs but slobby humans. Those animals. Wish I had a cat. landlord said no.

1 hour ago, Conker said:

No one home tonight so I got drunk and cleaned. I also worked on projects that weren't fun to work on.

Welcome to friday when I'm alone, apparently.

Srsly though. Cleaned a ton. Like fuck the floors are clean for once. Crazy.

I live with animals who do not clean :(

Not real animals like cats or dogs but slobby humans. Those animals. Wish I had a cat. landlord said no.

At least the animals you live with have bewbies, right?

Tell me I'm right.

5 minutes ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

Who's that?

Maybe some Food Network guy?

As time goes on, there's so many famous people that you have never heard of. If they are all so famous, then maybe they are not really that famous, and maybe fame will eventually cease to be a thing. Like when Andy Warhol said in the 1960s that in the future, everyone will be famous for 10 minutes. Which has kinda become true.

1 hour ago, Fossa-Boy said:

Maybe some Food Network guy?

As time goes on, there's so many famous people that you have never heard of. If they are all so famous, then maybe they are not really that famous, and maybe fame will eventually cease to be a thing. Like when Andy Warhol said in the 1960s that in the future, everyone will be famous for 10 minutes. Which has kinda become true.

I think it is more the case that fame has become more compartmentalized as technology and media have diversified and advanced. There are many people who are legitimately famous within a specific group; having thousands or millions who know of them and possibly holding this fame for a significant period, but are often unknown outside of said group (Telephone would be an example from the furry fandom). It can still be an enduring fame, it just occurs on a smaller scale, and can pass unnoticed by a large part of the public.

It can be seen as similar to the diversification within the news media; in the first half of the 20th century, there were a few huge names that were read by millions across across America, but today, no such universally famous and influential news people exist. The columns of people like the Alsop brothers and Walter Lippmann were run in hundreds of papers, while the writers themselves held great political sway because of their ability to shape American opinion. Nowadays, the news media has fragmented, and you no longer have these universal personalities that are known by and listened to by all. People are able to find news sources that fit their exact political leanings in a variety of mediums, so you can end up with famous personalities with millions of watchers/readers/listeners whose names are not known by a vast majority of the public.

Oh, and Joey Salads is (or was?) an infamous YouTube "prankster" who recently staged a number of pro-Trump "pranks" depicting black people as violent thugs, which he tried to pass off as real.

• Like 1

Wow, holy shit, I swear I am the most retarded individual ever created. So earlier I heard "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" in a video, right? Well, I had always heard it as a kid, but I had no fucking clue who sang it. I look it up, and Queen pops up. So I think to myself, "Oh, well that's not the one I'm thinking of", but guess what, of course it was the one. I always knew they had a song called "Crazy Little Thing Called Love", but I had no idea that it was THAT song. That just goes to show that Queen really has always been in my life, but I had literally no god damn idea.

2 minutes ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

Wow, holy shit, I swear I am the most retarded individual ever created. So earlier I heard "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" in a video, right? Well, I had always heard it as a kid, but I had no fucking clue who sang it. I look it up, and Queen pops up. So I think to myself, "Oh, well that's not the one I'm thinking of", but guess what, of course it was the one. I always knew they had a song called "Crazy Little Thing Called Love", but I had no idea that it was THAT song. That just goes to show that Queen really has always been in my life, but I had literally no god damn idea.

Queen is in everyone's life. Their music is everywhere.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

There's also a cover of said song by Micheal Buble.

11 hours ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

I think I might be even dumber. Looking up this song, I saw "Queen - Another One Bites the Dust" in the related videos. I didn't even know that song was by Queen.

• Like 1

• Vae pinned this topic