General Chat/Time-Waster Thread

Sar

On 11/19/2016 at 8:10 PM, Lopaw said:

I did do tech and IT stuff but went into engineering after the IT course I did made me sick of web design and proved I couldn't code to a professional level.

Oh modern web development... Why use a traditional for loop to iterate over a numeric indexed array when you can use jQuery's .each() method?

• Like 1

By chance while looking in a parts catalog I found a even more pointless IC than that 13 input NAND thing.

Its called the UM66, lives in a everyday TO-92 package (so it can pretend it's a transistor) and all it does is play 1 to 3 awfully tinny songs that are preprogrammed onto it. I am certain this is what goes in novelty musical cards.

• Like 1

I'm currently creating 3-d models of bird skeletons from C-T scans.

One of my Toucans has a bullet inside his skull, and my shrike has lots of shotgun pellets in him.

I was not aware that the birds collected for my work had been shot; I thought they had been donated by an aviary or something.

I felt tired so I drank an excessive quantity of coffee this morning

Everything is spinning and I feel sick when I close my eyes

At least I have motivation to stay alert now

That's whisky, Dingo.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Saxon said:

I'm currently creating 3-d models of bird skeletons from C-T scans.

One of my Toucans has a bullet inside his skull, and my shrike has lots of shotgun pellets in him.

I was not aware that the birds collected for my work had been shot; I thought they had been donated by an aviary or something.

This has no relevance to what you just said, but hello and welcome back! I missed you!

• Like 2

The training managed to fit both days into one session! It ended up being a couple hours of slides and discussion and about 2 hours of presentation by Microsoft Sam. The least painful part was when the jagged metal that came unglued from the inner-side of my lower teeth broke off from the other side of the glue. Huzzah! I am no longer chaffing my tongue against it!

• Like 2

I made another stupid map. It's a huge vertical tube and everyone spawns in alcoves at the top that force them out into the main "arena", once again armed with only a crowbar. There's a trigger_push that makes players float up and down in the tube and they have to float over to and beat the piss out of each other.

Gonna call it the Vomit Comet

34 minutes ago, GarthTheWereWolf said:

That moment while moving where you knew in your head that you're an avid reader...

...but it doesn't really sink in until you've filled 6 action packers full with books and haven't even gotten halfway through your bookshelves.

592124_anime-nisemonogatari-daze.gif

Like six bins I have yet to unpack contain books in my apartment, lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Victor-933 said:

I made another stupid map. It's a huge vertical tube and everyone spawns in alcoves at the top that force them out into the main "arena", once again armed with only a crowbar. There's a trigger_push that makes players float up and down in the tube and they have to float over to and beat the piss out of each other.

What exactly are you building these maps for?

I used to make pretty crazy ass maps a long time ago. I made one that was nothing but traps all over the place, traps you could trigger on others, or traps you could trigger on yourself. I assume people would have eventually figured out the self-triggering traps.

Also, made one that exploited bugs in the mapmaking software, as well as things like transparent solid textures or teleportation textures, the ability to change the gravity in a local area, and shit to make this map that was nothing but physics breaking mindfucks. MC Escher rooms, rooms where the walls shifted depending on where you stood, and players would appear and disappear at random, hallways and rooms that existed in the same plane but didn't interact, doors to different areas in the middle of rooms, rooms that were nothing but the background texture to screw with your head, ect.

2 hours ago, GarthTheWereWolf said:

That moment while moving where you knew in your head that you're an avid reader...

...but it doesn't really sink in until you've filled 6 action packers full with books and haven't even gotten halfway through your bookshelves.

592124_anime-nisemonogatari-daze.gif

Going to be similar for me when I move out of my parent's house; I've run out of space on my two bookshelves, both of which are already double-stacked, and now have multiple boxes holding the overflow...

I might have to downsize my collection somewhat before the move, but it's always so difficult to get rid of books...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

@GarthTheWereWolf @LadyRadarEars @Osrik

All my books are digital because I can't afford to have them shipped to me >w>

I'm sorry :<

On the bright side, if you like scifi books, baen has the whole 'free book cd' thing goin' on, so you can easily add to your digital collection :V

Just now, LadyRadarEars said:

I'm sorry :<

On the bright side, if you like scifi books, baen has the whole 'free book cd' thing goin' on, so you can easily add to your digital collection :V

I've heard, my boyfriend (whose really into scifi), showed me it.

Unfortunately, I'm not too big into scifi >w>

5 minutes ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

@GarthTheWereWolf @LadyRadarEars @Osrik

All my books are digital because I can't afford to have them shipped to me >w>

I actually get the majority of my books from used bookstores, places which I should probably frequent less often given how many books I already have...

Anyway, digital books at least save quite a lot of space, so there is that.

• Like 3

Just now, Osrik said:

I actually get the majority of my books from used bookstores, places which I should probably frequent less often given how many books I already have...

Anyway, digital books at least save quite a lot of space, so there is that.

They take up all the space on my tablet tho >w>

9 minutes ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

I've heard, my boyfriend (whose really into scifi), showed me it.

Unfortunately, I'm not too big into scifi >w>

6 minutes ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

Well they have some fantasy books too! Also I guess this means you need to get tablet friendly flash-sticks for moar books :3c

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

Well, I guess that's a different kind of space they can take up...

Time for a second tablet to hold the overflow? Probably would still be cheaper in the long run than a collection of physical books...

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, LadyRadarEars said:

Well they have some fantasy books too! Also I guess this means you need to get tablet friendly flash-sticks for moar books :3c

tbh, I'm just a stupid romantic and read silly romance dramas of the gay variety xP

38 minutes ago, Osrik said:

Well, I guess that's a different kind of space they can take up...

Time for a second tablet to hold the overflow? Probably would still be cheaper in the long run than a collection of physical books...

I could, but ehh, I have my laptop to read off of too, so w/e.

21 minutes ago, GarthTheWereWolf said:

The feel of turning a page. The smell of the paper and ink

What kind of books do you have, something like written by monks? :v

(yes, I realize this was a figurative comparison) 

I think the biggest deciding factor is the fact that digital books exposes your eyes to the glow of LCD screen, which can strain them in long reading sessions

11 hours ago, Victor-933 said:

Crowbars? trigger_push? Are you by any chance using the Source SDK?

I created a dating profile and my title is "Bisexual Dog from the Internet". I have seen too many dick pics from strangers. Females act like I don't exist.

I am not very popufur in the meatspace.

I hate the meatspace.

I want all life to be cyberspace where I am very popufur and successful.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Hux said:

I created a dating profile and my title is "Bisexual Dog from the Internet". I have seen too many dick pics from strangers. Females act like I don't exist.

I am not very popufur in the meatspace.

I hate the meatspace.

I want all life to be cyberspace where I am very popufur and successful.

The meatspace is often cruel.

Maybe try a different meatspace?

Many people would love to adopt a bisexual dog from the Internet. Maybe try the SPCA?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Crazy Lee said:

<snip>

These maps are being made for Half-Life 1. I recently released one after nerding out over it in the Videogame Creations thread.

About the craziest map I ever made (that was never released) was the result of too much Myst -- a trio of islands floating in an endless void, looking like displaced chunks of Wyoming hill country, with a cabin on one, a windmill drawing water from another, and an overflowing pond on the third. The pond water was flowing off the edge and into a portal that teleported it back above the pond itself, creating an infinite flow of water.

Sometimes I just make stupid shit like the Smackbox or the Vomit Comet purely for amusement but on occasion they also end up being totally experimental in nature.

I started on another map. Dunno if I'd call it steampunk (because I hate most forms of steampunk) but it does have a very gritty industrial theme to it.

U97FZTy.jpg

also @Wax

I went further at looking into the useless UM66 and found a slightly better but still useless noisemaker called the UM3481A, at least it in a DIP package though so it looks unmistakably like a IC. (Chip for joe average)

This one can be considered the "Christmas classics album" and sounds so bad it's good.

To me it sounds like a novelty card or a chipmunk on helium with it's balls in a vice.

There are others in the series that are basically the same but play nursery rhymes , folk songs and even Elvis songs according to the datasheet from UMC (oddball Taiwanese semiconductor maker)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Socketosis said:

Ah yes, Grandville, I actually like some of his sketches quite a bit; it's interesting seeing anthros done in an older style that is really not too common anymore.

Also, there has been a game made using his artwork:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/384630

• Like 2

GOD. DAMN.

Cold front blew through here last night and dropped four inches of rain according to the rain gauge outside (that's 10cm in non-Freedom units) -- this amount of rain in such a short period is the kind of shit that causes flash flooding.

On 10/30/2016 at 3:46 PM, ArielMT said:

I got a free Commodore Vic-20 with nothing, not even a power supply or TV cables, a week or two ago, so I'm going to make a retro console out of it.  A Raspberry Pi 3B, power cord, heat sink kit, USB gamepad, and USB keyboard adapter, which cost less than the restoration parts I'd need short of getting a second Vic-20 system.  When the parts gets here, I'm going to try RetroPie on it.

Also, I came across an interesting computer case:

41lvkxgrTdL.jpg

I got that case and have been toying with it.  The whole thing is made of what feels like balsa wood, and the design looks like it was burned on with a stamp.  It came in four flat pieces (base, front, back, and unified top and sides), and they all snap together "tab A into slot B" style, except nothing's labeled.  It came with a set of screws, nuts, standoff "washers" I suppose made of the same wood, three heat sinks, and a card saying to go to their website for assembly instructions: <http://goo.gl/0AKjKw>.  I don't doubt the possibility I'm blind, but there's no mention of the Bel-Aire case at all there, let alone how to assemble it.  After trial and error, I worked it out:

1. Insert screws top-down on the Pi, and fix nuts and washers, one each per screw, under the Pi.
  2. Line up the back with the Pi, and put the back in the base while slipping the Pi screws through the base.  This was the WTF step.
  3. Fix the other set of nuts on the screws to the base.
  4. Put the front in the base, then wrap the cover from one side over the top to the other.

Aside from that, it doesn't look or feel all that bad.

3 hours ago, Victor-933 said:

Cold front blew through here last night and dropped four inches of rain according to the rain gauge outside (that's 10cm in non-Freedom units) -- this amount of rain in such a short period is the kind of shit that causes flash flooding.

This happens a lot in my area. This picture's from a few days ago:

114265175_cars-submerged-weather-NEWS-large_trans++ZgEkZX3M936N5BQK4Va8RQJ6Ra64K3tAxfZq0dvIBJw.jpg

I'm sure the difference between my area and yours is that we get this amount of flooding annually, so we're prepared for it.

30 minutes ago, Wax said:

This happens a lot in my area. This picture's from a few days ago:

114265175_cars-submerged-weather-NEWS-large_trans++ZgEkZX3M936N5BQK4Va8RQJ6Ra64K3tAxfZq0dvIBJw.jpg

I'm sure the difference between my area and yours is that we get this amount of flooding annually, so we're prepared for it.

Wow, it's sorta like Venice, with cars. Only they don't float as well. Hope yer OK, there.

6 hours ago, Osrik said:

Ah yes, Grandville, I actually like some of his sketches quite a bit; it's interesting seeing anthros done in an older style that is really not too common anymore.

Also, there has been a game made using his artwork:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/384630

That looks hilarious yet amazing. I might buy it if the gameplay is decent.

• Like 1

• Vae pinned this topic