General Chat/Time-Waster Thread

Sar

4 hours ago, Aetius said:

Yes 

Cool.

What branch are you serving in?

Where are you being deployed?

What's your role in the military?

Will you post gratuitous gun pics, please?

Why'd you join the military?

Will you tell me an exciting army story? 

Are you ready to grab ISIS by the pussy?

51 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Glad you're having a good time, I'm so jealous!

On paper, travelling by train to a different city to hang around for hours in a gay bar full of furries I've never met sounds like a really fucking weird way to spend a weekend. And it is.

But it was actually really fun and I'd do it again.

Cheers to @Kalmor for dragging me by my ears to this place and corrupting my precious mind in terrible, terrible ways

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hux said:

Cool.

What branch are you serving in?

Where are you being deployed?

What's your role in the military?

Will you post gratuitous gun pics, please?

Why'd you join the military?

Will you tell me an exciting army story? 

Are you ready to grab ISIS by the pussy?

To questions 1: Army
To questions 3: Drinking 

Hey everyone, I haven't logged in here ages but I'm still around!

I just read through an old, short-lived tumblr blog of mine, from roughly the summer of 2013, going into the autumn. I was in year 10 and year 11 at that point, so I was only 15 or 16 years old. It's so strange to see how heart-on-sleeve I was then. Reading through this blog, it was like I was 15 again - seeing all my posts about the shitty music I adored, complaining about exams, the TV shows I was watching at the time, everything. I was kinda going through a rough patch when I was 15. I was hardcore struggling with emotions, self-identity and self-acceptance. It's sorta sad to see some of the posts I would make back then, where I'd just kinda wallow in self-pity and confide in furry art to escape from it all. It's so weirdly overwhelming to look back on it now, I'm not really sure how to feel.

But... seeing how much I've learned and grown since then is a good feeling.

It's also so strange to think that if I hadn't found the furry fandom back then, I wouldn't have been on FAF and I wouldn't be on this forum today. Overall it makes me realise just how much I appreciate everyone here, even if I'm not around much.

EDIT: Also, your boi turned 19 on Jan 24th!!!

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Wax said:

Hey everyone, I haven't logged in here ages but I'm still around!

I just read through an old, short-lived tumblr blog of mine, from roughly the summer of 2013, going into the autumn. I was in year 10 and year 11 at that point, so I was only 15 or 16 years old. It's so strange to see how heart-on-sleeve I was then. Reading through this blog, it was like I was 15 again - seeing all my posts about the shitty music I adored, complaining about exams, the TV shows I was watching at the time, everything. I was kinda going through a rough patch when I was 15. I was hardcore struggling with emotions, self-identity and self-acceptance. It's sorta sad to see some of the posts I would make back then, where I'd just kinda wallow in self-pity and confide in furry art to escape from it all. It's so weirdly overwhelming to look back on it now, I'm not really sure how to feel.

But... seeing how much I've learned and grown since then is a good feeling.

It's also so strange to think that if I hadn't found the furry fandom back then, I wouldn't have been on FAF and I wouldn't be on this forum today. Overall it makes me realise just how much I appreciate everyone here, even if I'm not around much.

EDIT: Also, your boi turned 19 on Jan 24th!!!

You're 19?

Wow I thought you were older than me cause mature ;u;

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

tfw some people I know are worrying about politics and I'm worrying about if the state is going to kick my family out of our home because of ludicrously high property taxes :^)

Ouch. I hope everything works out for you!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

tfw some people I know are worrying about politics and I'm worrying about if the state is going to kick my family out of our home because of ludicrously high property taxes :^)

: (

So, do you wanna share a refrigerator box with me in a few months? I don't snore.

• Like 1

Thanks you guys, we're hopefully going to get through this somehow. The worst part is that they want a full, bulk payment, no instalments or payment plans.

2 hours ago, Hux said:

: (

So, do you wanna share a refrigerator box with me in a few months? I don't snore.

I do tho ;u;

8 hours ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

Thanks you guys, we're hopefully going to get through this somehow. The worst part is that they want a full, bulk payment, no instalments or payment plans.

I do tho ;u;

Geez. I know you're not in charge of it, but there's a chance that you can get some kind of plan approved if you keep speaking to them directly.

Just now, Jtrekkie said:

Geez. I know you're not in charge of it, but there's a chance that you can get some kind of plan approved if you keep speaking to them directly.

My dad's tried to get one done, but they keep refusing to give him one (because a lot of them are late payments because every time we've tried to pay, nine billion different accidents happen)

FCDUqBi.jpg

@Jtrekkie @U-235 @Saxon and whomever else is studying a science

...Is this how you science?

• Like 6

3 hours ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

My dad's tried to get one done, but they keep refusing to give him one (because a lot of them are late payments because every time we've tried to pay, nine billion different accidents happen)

FCDUqBi.jpg

Seeing as engineering is in that list  I have to say that engineering doesn't involve much spreadsheets, more doing things on expensive CAD suites, more often AutoCAD or a more obscure one like Catia that originate from the times when all CAD stuff (and 3D stuff) had to be done on a bright coloured SGI unix workstation computer like the indigo or octane.

In the case of electrical engineering you can add doing things in circuit design programs and hoping SPICE (a ridiculously ancient component simulation program originally made in fortran) plays nice when testing a design.

4 hours ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

FCDUqBi.jpg

As an engineer I can state that spreadsheets, though useful, would mostly likely not be accurate. More like MATLAB code, mathematica, Autocad is a big one. I'm not an electrical engineer so I don't know anything about SPICE. As a nuclear engineer however, I can safely say that no, you do not want to lick it. Unless it's for radiation therapy or other medically approved methods, licking radiation sources is generally a bad idea.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Lopaw said:

Seeing as engineering is in that list  I have to say that engineering doesn't involve much spreadsheets, more doing things on expensive CAD suites, more often AutoCAD or a more obscure one like Catia that originate from the times when all CAD stuff (and 3D stuff) had to be done on a bright coloured SGI unix workstation computer like the indigo or octane.

In the case of electrical engineering you can add doing things in circuit design programs and hoping SPICE (a ridiculously ancient component simulation program originally made in fortran) plays nice when testing a design.

2 minutes ago, U-235 said:

As an engineer I can state that spreadsheets, though useful, would mostly likely not be accurate. More like MATLAB code, mathematica, Autocad is a big one. I'm not an electrical engineer so I don't know anything about SPICE. As a nuclear engineer however, I can safely say that no, you do not want to lick it. Unless it's for radiation therapy or other medically approved methods, licking radiation sources is generally a bad idea.

Awwww, maybe I could just lick the scientists then

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, DrGravitas said:

Wow, how is it already January 30th?! Where did this month go?

Away. It went away.

though I personally felt it was very slow. Though in my line of work, we get all screwy with dates when working on orders. I feel like I'm in February already but it's still January.

1 minute ago, AleuLeLoup said:

Away. It went away.

though I personally felt it was very slow. Though in my line of work, we get all screwy with dates when working on orders. I feel like I'm in February already but it's still January.

What is your line of work? If I may ask

1 minute ago, DrGravitas said:

What is your line of work? If I may ask

I'm in custom framing at Hobby Lobby. People bring in stuff for us to frame and we do it. Though we got swamped pretty bad with orders and we had a person quit and we were training a new person so not only are we short-handed but we're fixing the mistakes of the other person. Normally we're supposed to have a queue of ten days but we're about a month out x.x

We're pushing our due dates into March at the moment. It doesn't help that February has the fewest days.

• Like 2

Actually excel still has a pretty strong foothold in certain realms of chemical engineering, at least for financial analyses and process monitoring. It's mostly used with VBA to automate pulling out data and analyzing it for determining things like why the reactor stopped working last night. It's also partially because excel is pretty ubiquitous in process analysis, so people are used to it.

That said, as other uses have pointed out, excel + VBA isn't always regarded as preferable, and process simulation software such as Aspen or UniSim is used for design purposes since it's faster and more accurate. Also, I haven't heard of anyone using excel for really taxing design work, like stuff involving computational fluid dynics. I think it really comes down to what you're doing - if you are conducting a simple preliminary analysis and don't care about accuracy too much, excel is just fine, but the more demanding of numerical analysis you need, the more appealing MATLAB or specialty software become.

6 minutes ago, Saxon said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38801422

British member of parliament made to explain why he was making woof woof noises.

At last somebody to represent the furry vote!

I literally cannot make heads or tails of what the hell kind of reasoning happened there.

• Vae pinned this topic