General Chat/Time-Waster Thread

Sar

Everyone in my class got ordered to "explore" apprenticeships today. However most of the place is flooded with offers from companies miles away.

IBM, Mercedes, some people saying they will teach you JavaScript, Babcock's more dull sectors, tons of catering firms and the AWE come up a lot as wanting apprentices.

All places that are very hard to get into, esp. the last one for obvious reasons.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

Drat, for that I'm going to need you to sign the forms in very small print

Is that like the fine print?
Because no one reads the fine print.

34 minutes ago, U-235 said:

No guarantee on what my reaction will be, but if it's negative, I accept no responsibility.

Aggressively licking back would make the situation worse, as a warning. 

5 hours ago, Lopaw said:

IBM, Mercedes, some people saying they will teach you JavaScript, Babcock's more dull sectors, tons of catering firms and the AWE come up a lot as wanting apprentices.

See what you should've done is develop a Mercedes with a built in IBM computer that runs on JavaScript, called Babcock.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, george99g said:

Can confirm.

I regularly lick the USB port to check if my computer is working.

Does it taste of data and 5 volts of electricity? If so do other ports tatse different because I hear FireWire (aka IEEE 1394) ports taste of apple, fire and daisy chains.

• Like 1

Looks like RetroBlazer is canceled. :<
That's really unfortunate. Was looking forward to that game for a good long while. Nice Doom 2 style game with a Saturday morning action cartoon/Mega Man Zero mix to it's style. The alpha was really fun and I had hoped to see it finished.

1 minute ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

>comes into the room dancing
>roommate: "do you have to do this every time you come into the room"
>me: "yes"
>him: "no you don't"
>me: "yes, I can, because I can do whatever I want~"

You shouldv'e said "BECAUSE IT'S FAAAAAABULOUS"

4 minutes ago, Socketosis said:

I demand pics.

I demand a burrito.

• Like 2

On 29/01/2017 at 2:16 AM, Saxon said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-38786119

An Iranian vet had to spend £2,600 to change her flight path, because of Donald's presidential decree forbidding all Iranians passage to the USA.

To return to this story, a women's group paid for her and her boyfriend's flights to get them back to the UK.

The Trump administration has since announced that people with dual British nationality, even if they have a prohibited nationality like Iraqi or Somali, are exempt from the new travel and visa rules.

A lot of disorder and confusion could have been avoided if the Trump administration had announced and clarified what the changes were going to be in advance of implementing them.

There's been talk of moving myself and two of the other senior resources on the team into formal managerial roles! I don't know how much it'll change things, aside from more meetings and planning tasks, as I already fill some leadership and guidance duties. But having a concrete title to back it up would be good. It'll be necessary as we continue to expand, but I would guess it's at least a year out or more.

On the topic of such things, I received an announcement about an audit coming up! This will be my (and the other two's) first one that we'll be observing. After that, there will be a second where we're expected to run with the senior auditor's guidance and then we're officially auditors! I expect this first one sometime in the next month or two and the second sometime next quarter.

If there's anything The Company teaches you, it's patience! xD

• Like 1

So, Rainy, a fursuiter, got featured on the Youtube front page, and was inundated by comments from people telling her that they wanted to kill her because she wasn't good enough to deserve to be on the front page and because 'youtube only picked you because they have to pick a furry to promote diversity'.

Firstly I am surprised that anybody would actually think youtube chose a furry because they want to 'promote diversity'. That's just such a weird claim that I feel I don't have to point out how silly it is.

But god, why do so many people think that going to a woman's channel and telling her to kill herself is a measured response to a youtube recommendation they don't like? O_o

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Saxon said:

So, Rainy, a fursuiter, got featured on the Youtube front page, and was inundated by comments from people telling her that they wanted to kill her because she wasn't good enough to deserve to be on the front page and because 'youtube only picked you because they have to pick a furry to promote diversity'.

Firstly I am surprised that anybody would actually think youtube chose a furry because they want to 'promote diversity'. That's just such a weird claim that I feel I don't have to point out how silly it is.

But god, why do so many people think that going to a woman's channel and telling her to kill herself is a measured response to a youtube recommendation they don't like? O_o

...is it even a big deal if youtube picked a hobby to show "diversity"

Like if that was the case what even is the issue? That's assuming showing diversity in types of people is ever a bad thing

Its more people love to hate furries rather than a real issue

Had a meeting over the new features in Java 8. I'm finding myself rather fond of the enhancements to interfaces that have been added. The basic scheme is very similar to an idea I had for multiple inherentance in a language, albeit with a bit different purpose and more limited and focused scope. Well and not really multiple-inherentance obviously.

4 minutes ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

...is it even a big deal if youtube picked a hobby to show "diversity"

Like if that was the case what even is the issue? That's assuming showing diversity in types of people is ever a bad thing

Its more people love to hate furries rather than a real issue

Yeah, I don't understand why recommending a variety of different types of videos to viewers would be considered a horrible thing, anyway. It is not as though people are tied down and forced to watch all the videos that youtube recommends to them.

I have a sneaking suspicion that much of the negative reception came from jealous people who believe that they should be promoted by youtube 'instead of these nasty furries,'.

I'm also surprised that anybody actually dislikes furries that much...like...really guys...really, you actually care about furries?

I had to cut my video game time short so I could work on my english homework. A hour before I go to bed. Its almost as bad as math class since the whole class is coming up with stuff and not just memerizing stuff. The worst part is that, like prety much every class, I will literaly never need to know/do it again in my life.

9 minutes ago, Saxon said:

I'm also surprised that anybody actually dislikes furries that much...like...really guys...really, you actually care about furries?

Gratuitous speculation, but a furry themed pedophelia grouped was just discovered in Pennsylvania. This may have influenced some of the backlash, and it's possible that some people think YouTube featured her page because of that event.

36 minutes ago, DrGravitas said:

Had a meeting over the new features in Java 8. I'm finding myself rather fond of the enhancements to interfaces that have been added. The basic scheme is very similar to an idea I had for multiple inherentance in a language, albeit with a bit different purpose and more limited and focused scope. Well and not really multiple-inherentance obviously.

Aren't java interfaces more or less like adapters for working with other code? Because when I used to play minecraft with 90 or so mods ISidedInventory was mentioned all over the place (often in crash reports I spent ages picking over)

1 hour ago, Chaosmasterdelta said:

I had to cut my video game time short so I could work on my english homework. A hour before I go to bed. Its almost as bad as math class since the whole class is coming up with stuff and not just memerizing stuff. The worst part is that, like prety much every class, I will literaly never need to know/do it again in my life.

Well...English does help you become eloquent in literary and speech communications, for example, you did just misspell three words. Large amounts of grammatical errors dont make your speech fluid and breaks the flow of words in language.

English might be difficult but it allows for a lot of creative flow and ability to expand mental capacity and sharpness, and it is very much useful. A lot of video game developers also had to write script for their games, making it believable and feasible in practice. Without literary skills all the games you love wouldnt be the same.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Lopaw said:

Aren't java interfaces more or less like adapters for working with other code? Because when I used to play minecraft with 90 or so mods ISidedInventory was mentioned all over the place (often in crash reports I spent ages picking over)

Yes, but they've added a few new features that kind of muddies the concept. But, they'll be useful at least.

49 minutes ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Well...English does help you become eloquent in literary and speech communications, for example, you did just misspell three words. Large amounts of grammatical errors dont make your speech fluid and breaks the flow of words in language.

English might be difficult but it allows for a lot of creative flow and ability to expand mental capacity and sharpness, and it is very much useful. A lot of video game developers also had to write script for their games, making it believable and feasible in practice. Without literary skills all the games you love wouldnt be the same.

It'd still be nice if English made sense.

• Like 1

Holy shit, you guys

Visiting the Google 'My Activity' page is fucking sobering. It lists all of my habits, activities and behaviour patterns. Every single day

Googol.jpg

It even categorises the forums into 'Furry Fandom', so any old knob with power could go snooping and find out loads of shit about me

It also shows me all the dumb memes I wasted my life watching

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, DrDingo said:

Holy shit, you guys

Visiting the Google 'My Activity' page is fucking sobering. It lists all of my habits, activities and behaviour patterns. Every single day

Googol.jpg

It even categorises the forums into 'Furry Fandom', so any old knob with power could go snooping and find out loads of shit about me

It also shows me all the dumb memes I wasted my life watching

We should boycott Google.

Just use DuckDuckGo and Firefox.

Both of them are furry-friendly.

• Like 2

Just now, Hux said:

We should boycott Google.

Just use DuckDuckGo and Firefox.

Both of them are furry-friendly.

Times like these are why I maintain a storeroom filled with emergency tinfoil hats and accessories

We should find a cave and live in it

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DrDingo said:

Times like these are why I maintain a storeroom filled with emergency tinfoil hats and accessories

We should find a cave and live in it

It might be too late, furriendo. Their AI has already constructed pyschological profiles based off of our internet habits.

They'll find us in our cave and zap us like Mike Pence zaps gay guys.

The Unabomber did literally nothing wrong.

• Like 1

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-cut-white-supremacism-countering-violent-extremism-programme-neo-nazi-counter-extremism-a7558796.html

There are reports that the US is going to remove Neo-Nazi and white supremacist organisations from their counter-extremism-programme, which will then focus exclusively on Islamist threats. Right wing terror groups have been the second deadliest, after Islamists, since 9/11.

Many people said that comparisons of Trump to Hitler were just hyperbole, but the comparison might be more apt than they would have cared to admit, if he really is going to absolve Neo-Nazis. o_o

17 minutes ago, DrGravitas said:

Oh, what do you plan to use the security camera for?

To keep better tabs on what's going on outside. There have been burglaries in the area. It probably isn't necessary, as we already have an alarm system and people are usually around, but still.

25 minutes ago, Xaende said:

To keep better tabs on what's going on outside. There have been burglaries in the area. It probably isn't necessary, as we already have an alarm system and people are usually around, but still.

Probably not a bad idea. Just makes sure to configure it properly and secure it.

• Vae pinned this topic