General Chat/Time-Waster Thread

Sar

I just took a small dose of Ritalin this morning for the first time since I was a teen...

Me right now:

2 hours ago, Saxon said:

It would be difficult to imagine how you would confirm life on a world beyond our solar system. You could perhaps use spectroscopy to show its atmosphere contained oxygen, or a suite of compounds that might indicate the presence of life, but that might not guarantee biology.

I think they could detect the presence of organic molecules using spectroscopy... that's about it.

1 hour ago, Feelwell the Rabbit said:

And today I learned a classmate of mine is 95 pounds.

95. Fucking. Pounds.

and 10 of that is probably his friggin hair.

God damnit. There's somewhere I'll never get :/

95 isn't exactly something you should be striving for. I think you should be happy that you're a decent healthy weight. (Whatever weight that is).

• Like 2

at 99 lb i was considered "on my last legs" so idk maybe if you're like 4 feet tall or something but otherwise that doesn't sound great

but hey that reminds me how i am currently like 40 lb overweight and probably gonna stay that way for a good long while lol

54 minutes ago, Saxon said:

I've done all my job and PhD interviews.

The last interview didn't go well because I don't think I communicated my answers clearly. I need to go curl up and cry some where. ;^;

How did the rest of the interviews go? When will you likely hear back?

4 minutes ago, DrGravitas said:

How did the rest of the interviews go? When will you likely hear back?

The first PhD interview was alright. It was nothing special, but I don't believe it went badly.
The job interview went well in my opinion, but I am competing with candidates who are substantially older and more experienced than me; one of them had an airplane tag on his bag which showed he had flown in from the USA for the interview.

I will hear back in the next few days.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Sergalus said:

May I ask if there are any furs into IT?

Im not sure Im allowed to share this but this is hilarious https://youtu.be/SGi8iqlRp6w

There's a fair number of folks around here in (or studying to be in) IT or IT-related fields. I'm a software consultant doing support and development. How about you? What sort of IT work do you do?

5 minutes ago, Saxon said:

The first PhD interview was alright. It was nothing special, but I don't believe it went badly.
The job interview went well in my opinion, but I am competing with candidates who are substantially older and more experienced than me; one of them had an airplane tag on his bag which showed he had flown in from the USA for the interview.

I will hear back in the next few days.

Youth has its advantages too: You're cheaper than the older, more experienced folks. ;) You'd be surprised how often that puts you out ahead, at least in my field.

7 minutes ago, DrGravitas said:

There's a fair number of folks around here in (or studying to be in) IT or IT-related fields. I'm a software consultant doing support and development. How about you? What sort of IT work do you do?

Youth has its advantages too: You're cheaper than the older, more experienced folks. ;) You'd be surprised how often that puts you out ahead, at least in my field.

Im a scrub IT student as I mentioned in introduction. 

18 minutes ago, DrGravitas said:

Ah, right. I remember now. So what do you hope you will move into when you graduate? Development work, support, network, security, or something else?

I think  Development work but Im not yet sure. Im not the best when It comes to programming

18 minutes ago, DrGravitas said:

Ah, right. I remember now. So what do you hope you will move into when you graduate? Development work, support, network, security, or something else?

Also I have some alternatives to this. I will try creating dropshipping bussiness (already have one store but not very succesfull) if this fail I will try youtube (also have youtube channel but only 10k subs)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sergalus said:

I think  Development work but Im not yet sure. Im not the best when It comes to programming

Also I have some alternatives to his. I will try creating dropshipping bussiness (already have one store but not very succesfull) if this fail I will try youtube (also have youtube channel but only 10k subs)

"Only" 10K? That seems like a lot to me! O.o

What sort of youtube content do you produce?

On 2/21/2017 at 2:15 PM, Gator said:

that reminds me, i really wish bugs would become more mainstream as food already.  and goat milk products.  i'm so sick of cows and soy.

As much as I hate the texture of bug meat, you're absolutely correct. They should be more mainstream because growing them for food is far more ecological than growing cows for beef

I am okay with using the cows for their milk, though. 

Handyman's estimate of my siding piece replacement came back at $224. Apparently the panel type is discontinued, but they found somebody that can get pretty close. So that bumped up the price a tad. But, it's still cheaper than the massive ladder I would have needed to reach the darn thing.

1 hour ago, Snagged Cub said:

As much as I hate the texture of bug meat, you're absolutely correct. They should be more mainstream because growing them for food is far more ecological than growing cows for beef

I am okay with using the cows for their milk, though. 

not me; their milk gives me la diarrhée >:^P

So I've been playing around with Emacs for text editing across platforms. The idea is to practice some of the techniques used for shell scripting. Most of my time is spent on Mac and PC, however, and I want to do more with Linux. I can also use Emacs for Python, but what *can't* be used for Python? Of course I can use it for other languages as well, at least for banging out rough ideas, but am I really that hardcore? I guess we'll find out.

• Like 1

Welp, turns out NASA's announcement was that they found several planets in a nearby star, 40 light years away, that are in or close to the habitable zone and about Earth size. That's it.

A bit anti-climatic for something as hyped as it was.

8 hours ago, DrGravitas said:

Handyman's estimate of my siding piece replacement came back at $224. Apparently the panel type is discontinued, but they found somebody that can get pretty close. So that bumped up the price a tad. But, it's still cheaper than the massive ladder I would have needed to reach the darn thing.

See you need to have a radioactive spider bite you, and then you can just climb up there. Or, you just get venom and become sick.

4 hours ago, Saxon said:

Pigeons outside my room yesterday morning...

pigeons.png

They plot the overthrow of man.

• Like 4

Every, fraggin time plans are made, these people blow them off, are late, or otherwise just don't go. 
Or, or even better, like today, they actually go without you, and don't tell you.

I'm not even going to name the rest of the stuff that drives me nuts because I don't feel like making a list, but jeez. What a nice pair.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

So my roommates bought a box of chocolate for the house on Valentines, and today I decided to eat the last one. I was wondering what it might be.

IT WAS A FUCKING MOLASSES CHEW.

Of course the only one left was the molasses chew. Nobody likes the molasses chew.

It's like the lime Popsicle. In fact, last time I bought some, it seemed they had finally phased lime out, having realized they were the last ones left, languishing in freezers for months, in many cases.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Crazy Lee said:

Welp, turns out NASA's announcement was that they found several planets in a nearby star, 40 light years away, that are in or close to the habitable zone and about Earth size. That's it.

A bit anti-climatic for something as hyped as it was.

...Isn't that actually amazing? All of the worlds are closer to their cool dwarf star than Mercury is to our sun, so they would all be in visual distance from one another; you could stand on one of them and see weather systems on the others.

All of the planets could be habitable, so you can really let your imagination run away. For example if a civilisation exists in that system, their 'age of discovery' might have consisted of people colonising their neighbouring planets. O_o

• Like 3

I live in the windiest town in England 

Today, winds have reached nearly 60mph

One of my friends had his glasses fly off his face and we spent about 10 minutes looking for them

During which time a passing woman was blown out of her wheelchair

Thanks, Storm Doris

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

So my roommates bought a box of chocolate for the house on Valentines, and today I decided to eat the last one. I was wondering what it might be.

IT WAS A FUCKING MOLASSES CHEW.

Of course the only one left was the molasses chew. Nobody likes the molasses chew.

I like the molasses chew. Give it to me. :(

8 hours ago, Saxon said:

...Isn't that actually amazing? All of the worlds are closer to their cool dwarf star than Mercury is to our sun, so they would all be in visual distance from one another; you could stand on one of them and see weather systems on the others.

All of the planets could be habitable, so you can really let your imagination run away. For example if a civilisation exists in that system, their 'age of discovery' might have consisted of people colonising their neighbouring planets. O_o

Eh, I mean, there are other planets that have already been discovered that are in the goldilocks zone, and could have water or life on them. The media was acting like it was some kind of mind-shattering discovery, and it's like "Well, that's cool, there's 7 planets nearby that could possibly have liquid water or life on them....but why the hype?" I mean, considering they're so close relative to the rest of the galaxy it could be a place we could colonize/terraform in the future... each planet is close enough jumping between them would be pretty easy.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Saxon said:

My parents gave me some money, because they bought a new computer for my twin and wanted me to have something too.

...I now possess enough money for a fursuit.

Wow, you have a twin? Identical? Huh, maybe he's a furry, too, and one day, he can get a matching fursuit.

Well, have fun finding a fursuit maker, and more fun when it arrives...also, be sure to find a reputable dry-cleaner. :V

Also, tell your parents that you've adopted me, and need more money, fast.

Just now, Fossa-Boy said:

Wow, you have a twin? Identical? Huh, maybe he's a furry, too, and one day, he can get a matching fursuit.

Well, have fun finding a fursuit maker, and more fun when it arrives...also, be sure to find a reputable dry-cleaner. :V

Non identical. He's a 6 foot 3 asexual astrophysicist, who thinks furries are 'icky'. ;3

I don't know whether I will buy a suit yet. I know a suitmaker in the UK is opening in April...it will take some confidence to decide to spend this much money on a wearable carpet.

6 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Non identical. He's a 6 foot 3 asexual astrophysicist, who thinks furries are 'icky'. ;3

I don't know whether I will buy a suit yet. I know a suitmaker in the UK is opening in April...it will take some confidence to decide to spend this much money on a wearable carpet.

Well, just stick him in a fursuit, and nobody will know. And when he's says we're icky, nobody will be able to hear him. 

But yeah, fursuits do cost a ton, and I'd also be a bit apprehensive. I mean, the cutom latex skunk (or Fossa) outfits I have in mind (partially inflatable: tail & shape of head) would be about $900, so sometimes I look at 2k or more for a fluffy fursuit, and I wonder if I'd get to wear it out that much, around here, whereas I know I'd make use of the other outfit, though not as much in public. 

How much are you looking to plunk down?

• Vae pinned this topic