General Chat/Time-Waster Thread

Sar

Had a three day class in Dallas (trying to get into real estate investing). Figured it would be a good chance to visit Red's family. They're all doing ok. Life is still hard for them, so if you can send gifts, please do. Red's youngest brother is one year from graduating high school. Seems to be doing well. Didn't get a chance to bring my scanner with me on this trip, so didn't get a chance to scan her typewritten stories. Her gravestone still looks nice. Someone stopped by to visit and put a bottle of Red Apple Cider on it. Don't know who it was, but I guess thanks. It was gone by the time I went to look at it. I found someone else to take under my wing and teach what I was going to teach her, so I'm happy. She inspired me to do this and so much more though. Still sucks she's gone.

IMG_20170619_185344.jpg

• Like 8

MY UNIVERSITY SEMESTER IS OVER NOW LET'S FUCKIN' PARTAAAY! And by party, I mean I have to leave for the airport in 1 hour to catch a flight to the USA THEN WE CAN PARTAAAAAAAAAY

• Like 3

I'm walking around Walmart, and I hear some girl call out my name. I look up like "who, me?" and she stares right at me for a couple seconds, then walks like 20 feet down the aisle to give me a quick side hug.

I really wish I recognized you, but I don't. Sorry D:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Moogle said:

@mapache Unbelievably cute! Did she walk off right after though? Seems weird you wouldn't chat after an encounter like that. Could have gotten a hint to who she was. 

Yeah, I'm not the most socially gracious person in the world and I was taken by surprise, so I just kinda blanked out and didn't know what to do. In the end we both just ended up walking off without another word.

After thinking about it for a while, I can only think of one person who would have done that, and I haven't seen her in years. Kind of a shame - would have been nice to be in contact with her.

17 hours ago, Crazy Lee said:

This is NSFW furry chats in a nutshell:

My Diiiiick... dick... my dick... myyyy diiiiccckkk.... dick dick dick dick.... look at my diiiicccckkkkk :P

Seriously guys, calm your hormones down.

>Goes to an NSFW furry chat

>Is surprised when it's actually NSFW

bcf.png

• Like 5

I mentioned before I applied for some summer jobs. I went to one interview for a place where my friend works, and was told I'd hear back in a few days. A week goes by and I don't hear anything, so I ask my friend what's going on and he explains that the new employees have already started - therefore I reasonably assume I didn't get the job. That is until I get an email basically saying 'congratulations on your new job offer!' So I ring up the place to ask what's going on and they do want to hire me! Hooray!

• Like 3

Does anyone know much about electronics?

I have a Zener/transistor power supply with with a permanent, stable oscillation with and without load. The only thing I know of that could cause it is a feedback loop, but if I understand that kind of regulator, feedback loops shouldn't be possible.

I always like to reflect on history after people are done celebrating it, so I'm just going to drop some historical experiences of the Fourth of July here. I'm not making a thread because I don't feel like making a fourth thread on the fifth, and because there isn't much reason to discuss excerpts without their full context.

"I say it with a sad sense of the disparity between us. I am not included within the pale of this glorious anniversary! Your high independence only reveals the immeasurable distance between us. The blessings in which you, this day, rejoice are not enjoyed in common. The rich inheritance of justice, liberty, prosperity, and independence bequeathed by your fathers is shared by you, not by me. The sunlight that brought light and healing to you has brought stripes and death to me. This Fourth of July is yours, not mine. You may rejoice, I must mourn. To drag a man in fetters into the grand illuminated temple of liberty, and call upon him to join you in joyous anthems, were inhuman mockery and sacrilegious irony. Do you mean, citizens, to mock me by asking me to speak today? If so, there is a parallel to your conduct. And let me warn that it is dangerous to copy the example of nation whose crimes, towering up to heaven, were thrown down by the breath of the Almighty, burying that nation in irrevocable ruin! I can today take up the plaintive lament of a peeled and woe-smitten people."

-Frederick Douglass reflecting on slaves and freed African Americans and their relation to the holiday, July 5, 1852

"It may be affirmed without extravagance that the free institutions we enjoy have developed the powers and improved the condition of our whole people beyond any example in the world... Whoever in any section proposes to abandon such a government would do well to consider in deference to what principle it is that he does it; what better he is likely to get in its stead; whether the substitute will give, or be intended to give, so much of good to the people. There are some foreshadowings on this subject. Our adversaries have adopted some declarations of independence in which, unlike the good old one penned by Jefferson, they omit the words 'all men are created equal.' Why? They have adopted a temporary national constitution, in the preamble of which, unlike our good old one signed by Washington, they omit 'We, the people,' and substitute 'We, the deputies of the sovereign and independent States.' Why? Why this deliberate pressing out of view the rights of men and the authority of the people?

This is essentially a people's contest. On the side of the Union it is a struggle for maintaining in the world that form and substance of government whose leading object is to elevate the condition of men; to lift artificial weights from all shoulders; to clear the paths of laudable pursuit for all; to afford all an unfettered start and a fair chance in the race of life. Yielding to partial and temporary departures, from necessity, this is the leading object of the Government for whose existence we contend."

-President Abraham Lincoln addressing Congress on the issue of the Civil War, July 4, 1861

"Surely, the 4th of July, 1894, was not a day for rejoicing. Millions of men’s hearts, like muffled drums, were beating funeral marches to the graves plutocrats were digging to bury the hopes, aspirations, and liberties of workingmen — and the plutocrats won the victory. What then? A nation of helots, of peons, pariahs, proletariasts — debased below the level of Russian serfs.... There is little hope that anything very creditable can be accomplished, because the more men are debased, the more ready are they to sell their votes to the monsters who oppress them. Still, if the tyrannies of the present have sufficiently aroused the populace it is possible that honest men may be elected and the 4th of July rescued from eternal odium."

-Eugene Debs writing on the history of American liberty and what it had become, July 4, 1894

"We know that we cannot save freedom in our own midst, in our own land, if all around us our neighbor nations have lost their freedom.

That is why we are engaged in a serious, in a mighty, in a unified action in the cause of the defense of the hemisphere and the freedom of the seas. We need not the loyalty and unity alone, we need speed and efficiency and toil and an end to backbiting, an end to the sabotage that runs far deeper than the blowing up of munitions plants.

I tell the American people solemnly that the United States will never survive as a happy and fertile oasis of liberty surrounded by a cruel desert of dictatorship.

And so it is that when we repeat the great pledge to our country and to our flag, it must be our deep conviction that we pledge as well our work, our will and, if it be necessary, our very lives."

-President Franklin Roosevelt addressing Congress on the ongoing conflicts in Europe and Asia, July 4, 1941

"We must not be misled by left-wing incompetent news media that day after day feed us a diet of fantasy telling us we are bigots, racists and hate-mongers to oppose the destruction of the constitution and our nation.

A left-wing monster has risen up in this nation. It has invaded the government. It has invaded the news media. It has invaded the leadership of many of our churches. It has invaded every phase and aspect of the life of freedom-loving people.

It consists of many and various and powerful interests, but it has combined into one massive drive and is held together by the cohesive power of the emotion, setting forth civil rights as supreme to all.

But, in reality, it is a drive to destroy the rights of private property, to destroy the freedom and liberty of you and me."

-Atlanta Governor George Wallace on the Civil Rights Act of 1964, July 4, 1964

"I continue to see [my dream] shattered as I walk through the Harlems of our nation and see sometimes ten and fifteen Negroes trying to live in one or two rooms. I’ve been down to the Delta of Mississippi since then, and I’ve seen my dream shattered as I met hundreds of people who didn’t earn more than six or seven hundred dollars a week. I’ve seen my dream shattered as I’ve walked the streets of Chicago and seen Negroes, young men and women, with a sense of utter hopelessness because they can’t find any jobs. And they see life as a long and desolate corridor with no exit signs. And not only Negroes at this point. I’ve seen my dream shattered because I’ve been through Appalachia, and I’ve seen my white brothers along with Negroes living in poverty. And I’m concerned about white poverty as much as I’m concerned about Negro poverty.

So yes, the dream has been shattered, and I have had my nightmarish experiences, but I tell you this morning once more that I haven’t lost the faith. I still have a dream that one day all of God’s children will have food and clothing and material well-being for their bodies, culture and education for their minds, and freedom for their spirits.

I still have a dream this morning that truth will reign supreme and all of God’s children will respect the dignity and worth of human personality. And when this day comes the morning stars will sing together and the sons of God will shout for joy.
'We hold these truths to be self-evident that all men (All right) are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.'"

-Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. to Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta on the meaning of the Declaration of Independence and his dream, July 4, 1965

Take of these what you will. If anyone's interested in what's missing from the excerpts I can get links, but two of these I got from texts I have so it may take a while.

This Catastrophe and Crisis book I have is pretty neat. Too bad it's from 1979 so it doesn't have more recent crazy shit like Loma Prieta or Chernobyl. Still though, it covers a lot of obscure disasters and tragedies like the Tay Bridge Disasterthe Albigensian Crusadethe 1976 Friuli Earthquakethe 1863 Fire at La Compania in Santiago, etc.

Oh god.

OH goddddd

It's true, old pictures will haunt you in the future ._.

An old friend just sent me a picture taken in 10th grade, when I looked super terrible and had a neckbeard.

This was a snapchat picture, with a very weird quote because when it was taken we were having a really stupid conversation.

1 hour ago, Feelwell said:

Oh god.

OH goddddd

It's true, old pictures will haunt you in the future ._.

An old friend just sent me a picture taken in 10th grade, when I looked super terrible and had a neckbeard.

This was a snapchat picture, with a very weird quote because when it was taken we were having a really stupid conversation.

Well at least you didn't intentionally burn down the most important city in the world and then blame it on the Christians like the O.G. Neckbeard, Nero:

article-1216986-06A3E938000005DC-432_306x423.jpg.231e51f8948de98929e072e65e8e8a3c.jpg

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Feelwell said:

Boy does sleeping weird mess you up :(

Truth

I had to get up at 4am today to do a morning shift in my Summer job
I went back and slept through lunch

And now I'm just tired. Coffee is not a functional crutch

4 hours ago, DrDingo said:

Truth

I had to get up at 4am today to do a morning shift in my Summer job
I went back and slept through lunch

And now I'm just tired. Coffee is not a functional crutch

Well for me my summer break started and even with work I've been getting home at 10 PM, or not having work that day, and staying up and online until 7 or 8 in the morning, then sleeping, usually not enough. Repeat.

I realized it's probably not working when I walked into the bathroom to brush my teeth and realized I have no freaking clue when any of the previous events of the past couple of days happened.

• Like 1