General Chat/Time-Waster Thread

Sar

On 7/16/2017 at 6:34 PM, Vallium said:

Me at a restaurant today:

Waitress:(What I heard) Do you want the super salad?

Me: uhhh, yes?

Waitress: *bored, tired* Do you want the soup or salad?

Me: Oh Uh...soup

You unintentionally made a programming joke.

Well done.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Crazy Lee said:

A manual transmission was that bad? I used to own a stick car, they're not that bad, and on the highway you hardly ever have to shift.

It wasn't bad on the trip (the local driving I had to do after the trip was far, far more annoying) but it had been so many years since I last had done it (and I only had a day and a half to practice before it) that it felt like an accomplishment.

That said, I will say that the manual transmission on this thing was nothing like the one used to drive. I had all sorts of problems with shifting and it was very finicky. I virtually never stalled out of first in my old vehicle, but I did it at least once or twice every day I drove this one. My dad said he has problems with it too, so I suspect it's a characteristic of the vehicle or maybe the model.

I was just looking my old FA account watch lists, and noticed little symbols indicating whether a user is banned, suspended, or deceased. Apparently, two have died. One I was aware of, as we regularly commented on each others' art etc., but the other passed away 6 years ago and I had no idea. Life is a precious thing. Make the most of it.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Xaende said:

I was just looking my old FA account watch lists, and noticed little symbols indicating whether a user is banned, suspended, or deceased. Apparently, two have died. One I was aware of, as we regularly commented on each others' art etc., but the other passed away 6 years ago and I had no idea. Life is a precious thing. Make the most of it.

FA has a symbol showing someone is deceased...?
I've never, ever heard of that. What's the criteria for someone to be declared deceased? What's considered a reputable source to pass on the information?

1 hour ago, Feelwell said:

FA has a symbol showing someone is deceased...?
I've never, ever heard of that. What's the criteria for someone to be declared deceased? What's considered a reputable source to pass on the information?

I think it used to be "~"' but what I'm currently seeing is "∞".

I assume that whoever moderates FA either knew the person or were told through messages or Journals/threads/articles. But that's just speculation. 

I don't think today is a good day to speak of death - in a depressing manner that is. 

1 hour ago, Wax said:

UK friends — did anyone catch the segment with the furry guests on This Morning on ITV1 today? I wanted to watch it but had to leave for work.

Missed it, but haven't heard anything good about the coverage so far. Did get a vague warning to "watch This Morning for something interesting" yesterday, but ignored it on account of not believing This Morning was capable of being interesting. I'm sure it'll end up on YouTube at some point for you to watch.

Edit: Had a quick watch. 'bout as cringe as I expected. The people being interviewed do stress the fact that there's more to being furry than just fur-suiting, but all the images and editing point to is fur-suiters and nothing else, bar one caption in the second half that brings up the fact that "it's not a fetish" even though nobody even mentioned the possibility of it being so...

Kudos to the interviewers themselves at least, who genuinely seem just unsure of what the furry fandom is, as opposed to coming into it with snide preconceptions. People working behind the cameras clearly had a patronising edit in mind though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ftFhXBqGE0

ugh.png

8 hours ago, Cham said:

-snip-

Thanks for the link! I just watched it, and don't think it was too bad at all really. Regardless of who they're interviewing, Eammon and Ruth are particularly good at asking reasonable and open questions, which is why I'm kinda ashamed to say I enjoy watching This Morning... but yeah, I don't think that segment was too bad really! They read some of the Twitter responses at the end, and at least they were positive.

So apparently the movie Fried Green Tomatoes featured a real, restored steam engine running under own power -- Atlanta & West Point #290, built in 1926.

friedgreentomatos.thumb.jpg.6076141f9021f21f45e67234146f7846.jpg

Unfortunately #290 hasn't run under own power since 1992, and isn't expected to be fully restored until 2020 at the earliest.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Mayonnaise said:

How do you clean blood stains from clothes? I don't want to type that in search engines.

Right... you can try hydrogen peroxide, or if that messes with the color try rubbing ammonia on it before washing. You might have to treat it a couple of times before anything happens.