General Chat/Time-Waster Thread

Sar

7 hours ago, Sylver said:

Fear is useful because it helps you survive, except against black holes, because they will kill you regardless of your emotional state.

Therefore, fearing them is pointless.

Fear is what keeps you from getting close enough to one

Similarly, fear is what keeps you away from an angry bear mom

Fearing death itself however is pointless because you cannot avoid it,  run away from it or defy it indefinitely

• Like 1

Fear doesn't help you survive, fear will only keep you from achieving your dreams or will cause you make stupid decisions or invoke daemons inside your head which will manifest themselves as anxieties and all kinds of mental disorders. Fear is probably the most damaging emotion humans can feel.

On 11/11/2016 at 11:31 AM, PurpleTail said:

me too. Let's marry each other

5 hours ago, SirRob said:

If you want to, I'd love to, PurpleTail.

I now pronounce you gay and gay :V

note: fennec does not have any official capacity for marrying anyone outside of shitposting circumstances, honk

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tsuujou said:

My god, it's like the developers of Weasyl have gotten disheartened and completely gave up. Site's deader than usual and not a peep from any of the staff in months.

Chat in IRC not too long ago mentioned they're busy with something in the pipeline. Nothing officially out there yet, tho

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tsuujou said:

My god, it's like the developers of Weasyl have gotten disheartened and completely gave up. Site's deader than usual and not a peep from any of the staff in months.

Welp, it was a good idea at the time. Hard to compete with tumblr, twitter, and whatever else is out there.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sourdough said:

Welp, it was a good idea at the time. Hard to compete with tumblr, twitter, and whatever else is out there.

Yeah, I feel like microblogging platforms are going to become the mainstay for art sharing now. Gallery sites are admittedly a much slower means of spreading your stuff and are nowhere near as social. So not only did Weasyl have to compete with FuckAffinity and DeviantFart but now it has to worry about a whole new medium which must be a pain in the ass. :/

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tsuujou said:

Yeah, I feel like microblogging platforms are going to become the mainstay for art sharing now. Gallery sites are admittedly a much slower means of spreading your stuff and are nowhere near as social. So not only did Weasyl have to compete with FuckAffinity and DeviantFart but now it has to worry about a whole new medium which must be a pain in the ass. :/

To be fair, Tumblr and Twitter both already existed when Weasyl came about, so the medium has always been there.

Personally, I find the microblogging model more convenient,
I just wish there was a less toxic equivalent to Tumblr.

• Like 1

Just now, Vae said:

To be fair, Tumblr and Twitter both already existed when Weasyl came about, so the medium has always been there.

Personally, I find the microblogging medium more convenient,
I just wish there was a less toxic equivalent to Tumblr.

Yup, they have, but they've been getting a lot more traction than gallery sites in recent years for your everyday art crowd. So if you're unestablished (Weasyl) and you came in late to the game you're gonna be hurting. 

1 hour ago, MissFleece said:

Anybody seeing the supermoon? It's p rad

Ariel's bitching that it's too small for his taste.

I think it looks nice, but we've had a fuckload of supermoons this year, so they've kind of lost their "wow" factor to me.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Vae said:

Ariel's bitching that it's too small for his taste.

I think it looks nice, but we've had a fuckload of supermoons this year, so they've kind of lost their "wow" factor to me.

The novelty of a big moon hasn't worn off for me yet, it feels like a fantasy novel. We just need another moon and pointy ears/fuzzy feet. 

Pixiv is pretty pointless for anyone uploading in the US.

I remember you mentioning that the tagging system is really weird there, but from searching for stuff, it looks like the site does its best to change and translate English tagged names to their Japanese equivalent. For instance if I search the English name of something, it'll show anything tagged with the Japanese name of the same thing, as the site translates in the search bar what is typed to its Japanese equivalent.

1 hour ago, Vae said:

Or anyone that doesn't draw annie may, I assume.

I'm not an artist, so my understanding of what exactly is desired to be gotten out of an art site is probably a bit shallow, but I know that there's a good variety of art on Pixiv of all sorts of different styles. Not just anime artwork. Certainly higher quality anime-y artwork tends to get the most attention, but there are plenty of artists that don't do that sort of thing that get at least some audience there. 

The circuit for my brush got more complex now after I read that ICs need decoupling capacitors close as possible to the power pin because stuff about inductance.

Even though this thing is running on 9 volts DC (6 AA batteries taped together ) it may be a issue. 

To non electronics persons here that means more time getting blue charge cylinders and orange circles and less time drawing buff topless otters and the like.

2 hours ago, Battlechili said:

I remember you mentioning that the tagging system is really weird there, but from searching for stuff, it looks like the site does its best to change and translate English tagged names to their Japanese equivalent. For instance if I search the English name of something, it'll show anything tagged with the Japanese name of the same thing, as the site translates in the search bar what is typed to its Japanese equivalent.

I'm not an artist, so my understanding of what exactly is desired to be gotten out of an art site is probably a bit shallow, but I know that there's a good variety of art on Pixiv of all sorts of different styles. Not just anime artwork. Certainly higher quality anime-y artwork tends to get the most attention, but there are plenty of artists that don't do that sort of thing that get at least some audience there. 

But make no mistake. Anime is the first and only thing that gets pushed there making for a stale viewing experience especially when its the basic animu style seen all the time. It all just blends together. At least to me. DeviantArt even pushes for a great deal of variety beyond fanart and anime. I don't think I've ever even seen photography on the front page of Pixiv.

The main issue uploading there as a US citizen is the language barrier. It's not meant for us so you're really just uploading for the sake of it. No fault to Pixiv of course.

• Like 1

• Vae pinned this topic