General Chat/Time-Waster Thread

Sar

1 hour ago, Fossa-Boy said:

Wow, it's sorta like Venice, with cars. Only they don't float as well. Hope yer OK, there.

Generally it happens annually, so we're all used to it. There has been pretty bad flooding in recent years where it has destroyed people's homes, but only usually due to poor defense planning.

19 minutes ago, Socketosis said:

I have the sudden urge to code up an oekaki-like thing for Phoenix people. Question is, would anyone be interested in it?

I'd probs use it. I haven't been on an oekaki board in fucking ages.

4 minutes ago, DrGravitas said:

What's an oekaki?

It's a drawing application in your browser, where you upload directly to an artboard when you finish your work.
They were big in like the early 2000s.

• Like 2

I was just reading an article in National Geographic about Russia's youth and their idolization of Putin, and stumbled upon this in the opening pages:

MM8448_160616_19206.adapt.1190.1.jpg

The article says they "escape the everyday through cosplay" and "own several animal outfits"...

I don't think Nat Geo even realizes they have made the horrible mistake of including furries in their magazine...

(Article is online, it's actually a pretty interesting read overall:http://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2016/12/putin-generation-russia-soviet-union/)

• Like 6

11 hours ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Also I spy a Turkey

Prime Minister talk about donation from a Saudi prince then this thing happen.

5 hours ago, LazerMaster5 said:

Sounds dangerous. Where do you live?

Malaysia, a 'moderate muslim country' :v

11 minutes ago, Mikazuki Marazhu said:

Oh boy... if anyone on your country learned your gey... you're dead :V

Oh they can't kill me... yet. They have to change the civil law before that happens.

Edit: JEsus fuck!.

The bill hasn't even been discussed in parliament but one state already made this statement.

KUALA TERENGGANU, 24 Nov — Lelaki Muslim yang tidak menunaikan solat Jumaat di Terengganu bakal berdepan hukuman denda maksimum RM3,000 atau penjara dua tahun tidak lama lagi. 

Translation

KUALA TERENGGANU, 24 Nov - Muslim male that didn't perform the Friday Prayers in Terengganu will face a maximum fine of RM3,000 or two-year prison soon.

Not my state but ughhh

Edited by Mayonnaise
These people need Jesus

I have not paid attention to any of the trailers much or seen it but I hope fantastic beasts and where to find them has gryphons (not hippogriffs) in it just because I like the things.

And since 5 or so films are being made that sounds likely at some point. Personally I want to see gryphons vs US 1920s or so US warplanes in the later films happen.

As there are not many noteworthy US warplanes from then though I expect to see such battle take place in a year where vought corsairs and other easily identifiable warplanes would be around.

19 hours ago, Mayonnaise said:

Oh they can't kill me... yet. They have to change the civil law before that happens.

Edit: JEsus fuck!.

The bill hasn't even been discussed in parliament but one state already made this statement.

Not my state but ughhh

When I read this my mind just substitutes 'moderately awful'; I'm sorry to hear that religious laws are becoming more restrictive in Malaysia. I remember hearing that whole weird discussion about banning the word 'hotdog' because the notion of dogs isn't considered Islamic, a short while back. Obviously there are more important issues than hotdogs, but I think it indicates the level of intelligence religious authorities have; fucking none.

On 11/23/2016 at 6:33 PM, Osrik said:

I was just reading an article in National Geographic about Russia's youth and their idolization of Putin, and stumbled upon this in the opening pages:

The article says they "escape the everyday through cosplay" and "own several animal outfits"...

I don't think Nat Geo even realizes they have made the horrible mistake of including furries in their magazine...

(Article is online, it's actually a pretty interesting read overall:http://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2016/12/putin-generation-russia-soviet-union/)

Those are some actually good looking fursuits.

On 11/24/2016 at 3:58 PM, Mayonnaise said:

"If you embrace our glorious fundie Wahhabism we will give you glorious fundie donation." About how it goes. I think the Saudis secretly want to rule the word.

I thought Malaysia was only part Muslim.

On 11/24/2016 at 8:50 PM, Lopaw said:

I have not paid attention to any of the trailers much or seen it but I hope fantastic beasts and where to find them has gryphons (not hippogriffs) in it just because I like the things.

I saw a trailer for the movie and thought it might have been a gryphon in it. Not sure though.

I also went and saw Dr Strange today. Great movie. It is what Inception should have been visually. If you see it there's two credits scenes. One that hints at Dr Strange and Ragnarok, and the other that hints at the villain for Dr Strange 2.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Victor-933 said:

welp, looks like Fidel Castro just died... 2016 is fucking ruthless

Apparently the only thing strong enough to kill him was 2016.

We're going to see Cuban exiles celebrate for a while, but everybody else has accepted that he has been basically dead since 2006.

• Like 5

I broadly find the 'skeptical channels' on youtube a little boring, because many of them spend their time debunking ideas like the geocentric solar system or the flat Earth, which are low-hanging fruit. 

There are more interesting things to discuss. For example a lot of people mistakenly think they can prove Newton's shell theorem incorrect (the theory which means you can treat spherical masses as point gravitational sources).

And there are even ideas in the scientific literature which could be proven incorrect, for example a lot of people think that lord Kelvin's estimate of the age of the Earth (20mya), which he based on the flux of heat from the ground, assuming it started molten, is wrong because he didn't know about radioactive heat in the Earth.
This idea, which is written in many published papers, is wrong; adding radiation to Kelvin's calculation makes little difference to his age estimate. The important fact that Kelvin missed was that the earth's mantle convects, which means that its surface cools down more slowly than he thought it would.

On 11/25/2016 at 0:14 PM, Socketosis said:

Did vent art for a bit. Probably went overboard with the filters.

snip

I really, really like this.

On 11/25/2016 at 0:14 PM, Socketosis said:

Did vent art for a bit. Probably went overboard with the filters.

I really, really like this.

• Like 1

Next time you go buying batteries from wherever google the type and manufacturer and you should find a datasheet that wil reveal how long it is expected to last when powering various loads. It may well help you save money buying only decent ones that last the longest in the thing they are going in.

Also if you find any that have "super heavy duty" printed on this is a giveaway they are carbon-zinc ones, so super light duty is more appropriate, the only appliance these should go in really is the bin.

• Like 1

I'm in a state of disillusion at the moment. 
I have long wanted to become a researcher and I am finally in a position to make a strong application for post-graduate study.
However I have not enjoyed undergraduate life; I have spent most of it as a reclusive book-worm in order to make sure I get to this point.

Now that I am here, I have to ask myself, do I really want more of the same? What could I possibly end up doing if I don't want to do this?
I hadn't planned for the onset of this doubt.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Saxon said:

I have long wanted to become a researcher and I am finally in a position to make a strong application for post-graduate study.
However I have not enjoyed undergraduate life; I have spent most of it as a reclusive book-worm in order to make sure I get to this point.

Now that I am here, I have to ask myself, do I really want more of the same? What could I possibly end up doing if I don't want to do this?

Can you see yourself as happy, in your post-graduate work, and would this have sufficient meaning to you, for you to take the effort to go on? It sounds like you have a lot of amazing possibilities, to travel, explore, and do things many would envy; and, while grad school is a lot of work/stress, do you think your life afterwards would be rewarding? As I recall, you are still very young, so there's many paths your life might take. Maybe a different field, or angle on the one you're in? I think doubt is good; embrace it, and let it help inform yet not paralyze your decisions. Good luck, here! Maybe one day, you can save the Fossa...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Saxon said:

My empathy. From my experience, there are at least three ways to handle this. (I chose a mixture of the first and second one, as there are so many applicable scenario's where I WOULD fit in and feel comfortable working for 40+ years. And looking solely at those scenario's and odds my opinion would be not to worry, life gets you back on your feet if you are flexible / hard-working / open-minded / lucky enough should you make a wrong decision here.)

One, from the state of debate and confusion I am getting from this you do not seem to have a clear idea what it would be like as a fully fledged researcher. Would it be possible for you to remedy this in any way? Could you possibly interview / taste-test multiple scenario's to get a better idea what kind of situation you would be getting into? Will the ends justify the means?

PROs: If you can paint and confirm a suitable scenario for your needs, you needn't worry about where you are headed because you confirmed that it's (highly) possible you will be alright.

CONs: Takes time, and that might be a limited resource. Might not give 100% certainty.

Two, Handle things as they come. Surely there were motivations for you to become what you wanted. Find those motivations and see if the thesis holds up and, if it does, there would be nothing to worry about and it's important to keep an open-minded observation of the paths before you. There are always a multitude of life-doors open for you and having the dedication and smarts to become a researcher requires a set of skills that would be applicable in many situations/jobs/services.

PROs: All the burdens of looking ahead will be gone, and you will refine and strengthen the original bond you have/had with what you do. Is the easiest road of 'em all, but probably not the most guaranteed of success.

CONs: Might lead up to an open area of void, which could be demoralizing. - OR - Everything will become clear over time and all the worrying you would've done were for naught.

Three, Make a plan B. If things go south and stuff doesn't even remotely come close to what you wanted it's probably important that you can immediately get yourself back on track ASAP.

PROs: Knowing that a fallback plan is a thing gives confidence and should keep the worries at bay.

CONs: Doesn't build a lot of confidence in what you truly want to do, and may actually detract from that. May also consume time that could get wasted or invested in something better.

PS: There's loads of shoulda woulda coulda's in there, but that's mostly because I don't know you well enough. Therefore I would suggest implore you to find your own, better way. Also, I would like to add the outlook on life is entirely in your hands, and sometimes one should be strongly reminded of that.

Dunno if it helped but hey, I'm seeing this as a sparring session of ideas.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Lopaw said:

Next time you go buying batteries from wherever google the type and manufacturer and you should find a datasheet that wil reveal how long it is expected to last when powering various loads. It may well help you save money buying only decent ones that last the longest in the thing they are going in.

Also if you find any that have "super heavy duty" printed on this is a giveaway they are carbon-zinc ones, so super light duty is more appropriate, the only appliance these should go in really is the bin.

What are the negatives of copper-zinc batteries? I know nothing about batteries, or alloys for that matter.

1 hour ago, Socketosis said:

What are the negatives of copper-zinc batteries? I know nothing about batteries, or alloys for that matter.

As far as I'm aware these tend to only give a small voltage, how much you get depends on what fruit or vegatble the copper and zinc electrodes are shoved in. 

Also if the fruit or veg dries out the battery won't work.

22 hours ago, Lopaw said:

Most of the batteries at the dollar stores (where I get mine) are "Super heavy duty". I usually only use them in things like remotes and low drain devices. The cheap dollar store alkalines in somewhat more important things. Everything else is lithium or nimh. 

16 hours ago, Nomris said:

/

Thanks for your reply; you clearly took some time to write it out. I've got some experience in a range of different research subjects, because I wanted to try at least a few before figuring out what I wanted to do. I have done geological mapping, a limited amount of ocean-going research off of Bermuda and a stint working with a next generation climate model. I currently work with bird skeletons.

I think what I'm going to do is apply for positions in January. I don't have to take them, but if the dream job comes along that could change my mind.

• Like 2

At about the time you thought all of the crazy was over, claims begin circulating that Donald won the popular vote by 'millions', because there are 3 million illegal aliens voting in the USA.
The source for this claim is a tweet by Greg Phillips, who refused to present any evidence to show it was true when he was contacted. 
I find this trait of the conspiracy-right very tiresome. Even if they win, then that's just more evidence that everything is of course rigged against them.

The crazy train, very evidently, rattles on.

• Like 6

• Vae pinned this topic