General Chat/Time-Waster Thread

Sar

Seriously though, FaF will grow up eventually. It'll probably take a long time, but I've already seen a bit of growth in progress. They do have an administration problem that needs to be addressed though.

What I can't tell, though, is if it's going to follow in the footprints of old faf and become a group that attempts to remove newcomers by force, or if it'll become an accepting hugbox that lacks culture.

Either way, I find it fascinating.

7 minutes ago, Hux said:

I heard that FAF admins fuck dogs and all have HIV.

wrong
they are classy people
3024637de7.jpg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Falaffel said:

Seriously though, FaF will grow up eventually. It'll probably take a long time, but I've already seen a bit of growth in progress. They do have an administration problem that needs to be addressed though.

What I can't tell, though, is if it's going to follow in the footprints of old faf and become a group that attempts to remove newcomers by force, or if it'll become an accepting hugbox that lacks culture.

Either way, I find it fascinating.

I've been talking to the staff and they say they're considering a new set of rules so that bellyaching about different races will be easier to spot and get rid of. Since I brought it to their attention they've started removing racist commentary about Muslims and Jews, even in popular users' threads. So that's progress.

I think that the current problem definitely is that there are some very well established and popular users who have been removing newcomers. I see a lot of interesting new artists registering, but then they leave when they see people saying comments like 'I don't mind Jews as a concept, I just can't tolerate them behaving like Jews,'.

There's only about 5 users who are actually behind all of this, so I'm hoping they'll get banned, and that it will return to being the enjoyable place that it was before the American Election cycle began.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Saxon said:

I'm sorry, but I've got to laugh. Your anger over this subject is simply too amusing. This was 2 years ago; it's time to get over it.

The fact that you think this is angry me and not just "tired and bullshitting around until I wait for my coffee to steep" me is more amusing.

Anger is an emotional investment.
I'm just making passing observations, and what I'm observing is pretty stupid.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saxon said:

I've been talking to the staff and they say they're considering a new set of rules so that bellyaching about different races will be easier to spot and get rid of. Since I brought it to their attention they've started removing racist commentary about Muslims and Jews, even in popular users' threads. So that's progress.

I think that the current problem definitely is that there are some very well established and popular users who have been removing newcomers. I see a lot of interesting new artists registering, but then they leave when they see people saying comments like 'I don't mind Jews as a concept, I just can't tolerate them behaving like Jews,'.

There's only about 5 users who are actually behind all of this, so I'm hoping they'll get banned, and that it will return to being the enjoyable place that it was before the American Election cycle began.

I don't imagine they stop with racism. I think if they start banning those people, it'll lead down a road where they'll ban anyone not deemed as "nice" which would be a shame. 

I mean, I'm sure you'd love it. But we're obviously of different opinions. It'll become a very uninteresting pile of common place furries who don't know how to conversate. I can't see why anyone wants that.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Falaffel said:

I don't imagine they stop with racism. I think if they start banning those people, it'll lead down a road where they'll ban anyone not deemed as "nice" which would be a shame. 

I mean, I'm sure you'd love it. But we're obviously of different opinions. It'll become a very uninteresting pile of common place furries who don't know how to conversate. I can't see why anyone wants that.

I'm not worried it will become a slippery slope.

Of course if it does, you'll all have an opportunity to say 'told you so' in 2 years' time, won't you? ;3

The fact that you think this is angry me and not just "tired and bullshitting around until I wait for my coffee to steep" me is more amusing.

Anger is an emotional investment.
I'm just making passing observations, and what I'm observing is pretty stupid.

'You're not amused...I'm more amused!'

Yeah...I sure showed him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Falaffel said:

Pretty much. Overcompensating will just alienate a completely different potential userbase.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Saxon said:

'You're not amused...I'm more amused!'

Yeah...I sure showed him.

'You're angry'
'Actually, I'm not. I'm trying to have a normal conversation with you.'
'YEAH THAT'S WHAT SOMEONE WHO IS ANGRY WOULD SAY'

Is this kindergarten logic I'm seeing from you?

Just now, Eggdodger said:

Pretty much. Overcompensating will just alienate a completely different potential userbase.

Do you think that's going to happen? I mean, they've got to do something about what's been going on, right?

Of course, if the potential userbase that is alienated are the folk who comment 'Muslims should go back to their own countries, I'm not a racist because Muslim isn't a race'  then...would anybody care?

4 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Do you think that's going to happen? I mean, they've got to do something about what's been going on, right?

Of course, if the potential userbase that is alienated are the folk who comment 'Muslims should go back to their own countries, I'm not a racist because Muslim isn't a race'  then...would anybody care?

If you know me, you know I don't entirely enjoy being told "Jews are literally subhuman". I don't think it's overreaching to have "opinions" like those off of a forum whose purpose isn't championing ethnic cleansing. I'm just saying that absolute censorship as per Falaffel's scenario would keep people with varying opinions out of the community for fear of heated debates, stagnating the community. I recognize it's a hypothetical, but I and many other people here don't put a lot of faith in the FA staff, so you could see how we would project this as a likely outcome.

• Like 1

Just now, george99g said:

'You're angry'
'Actually, I'm not. I'm trying to have a normal conversation with you.'
'YEAH THAT'S WHAT SOMEONE WHO IS ANGRY WOULD SAY'

Is this kindergarten logic I'm seeing from you?

So Vae does this regularly, and I suspect that they are preoccupied with finding reasons to be upset with me- which is why the fact that my opinion is different to how it was 2 years ago has become a point of dramatic contention.

Honestly though, if you want to have a normal conversation with somebody, taking every opportunity you can to tell them how much you dislike them, how stupid they are, that you think they're playing the victim, and so on ad infinitum, then you're just going to have a shouting match, rather than a conversation.

I don't think you would think I was trying to have a civil conversation with you if I started calling you all of those things, right?

6 minutes ago, Saxon said:

I'm not worried it will become a slippery slope.

Of course if it does, you'll all have an opportunity to say 'told you so' in 2 years' time, won't you? ;3

you can be wrong all on your own. I can't be there to tell you every time you're wrong. I have a life.

2 minutes ago, Eggdodger said:

If you know me, you know I don't entirely enjoy being told "Jews are literally subhuman". I don't think it's overreaching to have "opinions" like those off of a forum whose purpose isn't championing ethnic cleansing. I'm just saying that absolute censorship as per Falaffel's scenario would keep people with varying opinions out of the community for fear of heated debates, stagnating the community. I recognize it's a hypothetical, but I and many other people here don't put a lot of faith in the FA staff, so you could see how we would project this as a likely outcome.

More or less this, yes. I've already seen it too. 

I feel like the two groups getting the short end of the stick are the not-overly-furry normal people, the ones who suffer from the lack of balance in the hugbox, and the opinionated people who can't debate without being shunned away. 

There always needs to be a balance, and I don't trust an administration team that would rather take the route that means the least work possible to achieve anything like it.

• Like 1

The thing I've never gotten is why being angry is supposed to be an instant lose button, or at least makes your points less cogent. I'll admit if something genuinely upsets me if I think an appeal to someone's inner goodness will result in a more civil discussion. The funny thing is, asserting someone was mad sometimes in itself does upset someone, resulting in a "Ha, I knew it!" or a case where the person who wasn't upset before now has to conceal their anger out of... whatever someone feels in that situation. Pride?

Anyways, pointing out someone's emotional state during a discussion always comes off to me as deflection, so I would find it best to just ignore it so you can continue talking about something that matters. If they really are mad, it should be evident and doesn't need acknowledging.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Falaffel said:

Didn't they already kind of do that, though?
Isn't that part of what lead to the split?
I don't entirely remember, because I kind of came back -right- before it happened.

2 minutes ago, Eggdodger said:

The thing I've never gotten is why being angry is supposed to be an instant lose button, or at least makes your points less cogent. I'll admit if something genuinely upsets me if I think an appeal to someone's inner goodness will result in a more civil discussion. The funny thing is, asserting someone was mad sometimes in itself does upset someone, resulting in a "Ha, I knew it!" or a case where the person who wasn't upset before now has to conceal their anger out of... whatever someone feels in that situation. Pride?

Anyways, pointing out someone's emotional state during a discussion always comes off to me as deflection, so I would find it best to just ignore it so you can continue talking about something that matters.

Emotions are illogical.

Trust in Logic, and the Omnissiah.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saxon said:

So Vae does this regularly, and I suspect that they are preoccupied with finding reasons to be upset with me- which is why the fact that my opinion is different to how it was 2 years ago has become a point of dramatic contention.

You're forgetting the fact that Vae didn't bring this up at all and the fact that you were the one who started this topic. You can't deliberately start a topic about a controversial thing and expect everybody to agree with you.

5 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Honestly though, if you want to have a normal conversation with somebody, taking every opportunity you can to tell them how much you dislike them, how stupid they are, that you think they're playing the victim, and so on ad infinitum, then you're just going to have a shouting match, rather than a conversation.

I never said I dislike you. I would actually like you if you did anything at all to fix your personality issues, but it doesn't seem that you're willing to do that. So my opinion of you remains neutral. And yes, you are definitely playing the victim. You're ignoring a majority of my post, taking the few words you did read out of context and then debating my argument as if I'm the evildoer saying how horrible you are at being a human being.

No, this is a normal conversation. You're taking it out of proportions. If you start a heated topic, expect lashback.

9 minutes ago, Saxon said:

I don't think you would think I was trying to have a civil conversation with you if I started calling you all of those things, right?

To be honest, I'd rather have that than what you're pulling off right now.
I'd be a more interesting conversation.

6 minutes ago, Eggdodger said:

Anyways, pointing out someone's emotional state during a discussion always comes off to me as deflection, so I would find it best to just ignore it so you can continue talking about something that matters.

You have a good point. I think it depends on whether the motivation is appropriate and I'll admit I only told vae I thought she was angry because I imagined it would make her more angry. I have difficulty resisting when they try to goad me, and I acknowledge that's my own flaw. If they weren't a staff member I would have placed them on my blocked list, but unfortunately I can't do that.

I would prefer it they didn't message me, but that's not going to happen, because I think they enjoy trying to irritate me.

You're forgetting the fact that Vae didn't bring this up at all and the fact that you were the one who started this topic. You can't deliberately start a topic about a controversial thing and expect everybody to agree with you.

I never said I dislike you. I would actually like you if you did anything at all to fix your personality issues, but it doesn't seem that you're willing to do that. So my opinion of you remains neutral. And yes, you are definitely playing the victim. You're ignoring a majority of my post, taking the few words you did read out of context and then debating my argument as if I'm the evildoer saying how horrible you are at being a human being.

No, this is a normal conversation. You're taking it out of proportions. If you start a heated topic, expect lashback.

To be honest, I'd rather have that than what you're pulling off right now.
I'd be a more interesting conversation.

I didn't think this would be controversial.

I brought up an increase in racist commentary because I have seen this on most of the forums I'm registered on. I was glad that the phoenix forum hasn't gone that way.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Eggdodger said:

In this case, It's more or less a case of lack of respect for Saxon and his opinion. 

However, most people handle anger very poorly and start making things an emotional debate rather than a logical one. It really is an instant lose button once you start doing it.

4 minutes ago, Vae said:

Didn't they already kind of do that, though?
Isn't that part of what lead to the split?
I don't entirely remember, because I kind of came back -right- before it happened.

I mean, more or less, yes. It's just getting worse.

1 minute ago, Saxon said:

I would prefer it they didn't message me, but that's not going to happen, because I think they enjoy trying to irritate me.

Yes, because you're irritating to them. They don't respect you because your argumentative skills are sub par and you often have an air of arrogance. You frequently complain about not having an echo chamber, and that marks you as weak and annoying. I'm not sure how you haven't figured it out yet.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Saxon said:

I really like this mental image you apparently have where I have charts on my walls attempting to undermine you at every turn, "kekeke"ing in the dark like the true villain archetype I've always meant to be.
It's great.
"What do I need to do to target Saxon today?
   1. Make coffee.
   2. Read the mod reports.
   3. Talk to my friends on discord.
   4. Respond to a thread.
   5. Talk to my friends some more.
   6. Pay my phone bill.
   7. Go get groceries."

All in a day's work.

But there's one thing I spend my actual mental and emotional investment in, and we all know what it is.

wqeeeeewee.PNG

If it makes you feel better, you can call me whatever the fuck you want. You can think of me whatever you want.
It means little to me, because I already know who I am. Everything else is largely irrelevant to my life, or the conversations I have.
All I give a shit about in a conflict or a debate is the other party getting to the point.

• Like 3

The saddest thing in movies isn't even the worst stuff that actually happens like a death or breakup or hard hitting betrayal. It's when the people in the movie cry in response to it that makes me SAD. That's real life too. Seeing people crying over something terrible is too much. I can't take it, it's too sad. :C

• Like 5

How did this whole argument start again???

9 minutes ago, DrGravitas said:

The Company HR Department has apparently decided to skip the heart-shaped cookie they hand out to each employee on Valentine's Day this year.

I feel so unloved.

Love is not profitable or efficient. 

Love is obsolete.

30 minutes ago, Vae said:

If it makes you feel better, you can call me whatever the fuck you want. 

Can I call you Steve?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Feelwell the Rabbit said:

How did this whole argument start again???

Can I call you Steve?

Idk I'm just drawing Ludwig. Like god intended.

Also I'm gonna ask you not to misgender me like that, or I'm calling the internet police.
Lud / Ludwig / Ludwig Von Koopa pronouns only.

42 minutes ago, Saxon said:

I guess we're still messaging one another. :\

Aggression and insults are not going to make me see things from your point of view. It will guarantee the opposite.
So now you know how to convince me, if that is your obligation.

This conversation or the tone of it does not bother me. It bothers you.
If you do not wish to continue it, stop responding to me. That's your own responsibility.

Absorbing yourself in aesthetic details and semantics and your own perceived persecution is an easy way to avoid listening to what another side has to say, but it doesn't mean they're gonna change their tune for your sake, or agree with you out of pity.
I have to prove absolutely nothing about my attitude to feel satisfied with the argument I've already made, which I do. Since the entire thing devolved into "you're being mean" rather than countering the points I made about the original topic, to begin with.
So good for me.

lUDSBL.gif

• Like 2

1 hour ago, willow said:

Okay ladies, settle down 

tumblr_ls1njeAkCc1qgebm1o2_250.gif

34 minutes ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

On the topic of Neo-FAF I still laugh that when it first started it was so hugboxy that I got infracted when I answered the question "What makes an artist popular?" and my response was "dicks"

lol

I still remember on oldFAF when I got infracced for referencing the Sims in relation to the current topic, just because the current topic wasn't fully about the Sims.
Then again, that was by Benchilla, so that doesn't really mean shit. Getting infracced by Ben is like getting wet in a pool.

• Like 7

On 2/12/2017 at 4:34 PM, Saxon said:

It's at the point where saying you wouldn't stand in the way of a racial genocide, and that you think black people are objectively inferior, is considered 'an opinion' rather than a reason to ban somebody from the website.

The people in question who express those views literally add no value to the forums either,

er...

Saxon, you were one of the few political "correctness" supporters who had me believing you would ever put another person before yourself.

Then you started about how people thinking differently from you is pretty much unacceptable, and I'm not sure anymore.

My doctor visit for my jaw pain was rather underwhelming. They ruled out ear infection and jaw-clenching at least. They said to see a Dentist and get an XRay if it doesn't get better in a couple weeks (about a month from the start of this). On the brightside I got another script and got to go into work late. Twice, considering they canceled yesterday's after I was already out there.

• Vae pinned this topic