General Chat/Time-Waster Thread

Sar

31 minutes ago, Snagged Cub said:

What would such rapid change mean for Europe if for example the Gulf Stream was suddenly shut down or it slowed down/changed its course? 

I don't think the gulf stream will change its course, because it is constrained by the shape of the continents.
A shut down of the gulf stream would be associated with decreased heat transport to northern regions though.

Previous events when the Atlantic heat conveyor was likely shut down or much reduced include the Younger Dryas, (~12.8- ~11.5ky ago)
The climate in Europe and North America cooled off by about 2-6C and cooling was slightly more severe in Europe than in North America.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Younger_Dryas

The atlantic heat conveyor, or 'Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation' is already measurably weakened, by about 15-20% compared to the middle of the twentieth century, and that this is probably responsible for a localised area of cooling sea surface temperatures south of Iceland.
http://www.nature.com/articles/nclimate2554.epdf?referrer_access_token=FqFkZDGvA4eZU3S2JESBBtRgN0jAjWel9jnR3ZoTv0NAhBvJD3qQKAFJ5ZYnRB2DfVKqstvbeSrKxpKUhj2SxMVvKlLy6-VMA2veCqjbp1O67pyH6aPicj2EvU4u-6x8q3jU4Ja_6069CrJFUze7Ovq1FAgWKNPO_bKcf3I-_Z6Um018mIjUL9BAm0beV2CUBudEEA8ayW-rMypsm9F6oXjQkRcrUb2yUqhmN4y53n3DmCDprv1g_0e9gsCZLdwx&tracking_referrer=www.iflscience.com

It is unlikely the AMOC will be completely shut down by human activity, but future projections of climate change usually omit the possibility of a catastrophic collapse of the WAntarctic or Greenland, which *would* almost certainly cause a larger perturbation to the ocean circulation.

• Like 1

And in today's issue of "I fucked up again but I don't really want to make a rant thread though it'd save space and be more efficient", AKA IFUABIDRWMRTTIWSSME, I think I just had an option to work things out with a friend whom is pissed at me, and I'm pissed at her. Either that or she just wanted to talk/vent or something.

Annnd I turned it down for two reasons.

1. Because I'm being a moody asshole and really didn't want to talk to her.

2. She wanted to go running and I am not okay for that right now.

Well fuck. It only occurred to me to mention I just couldn't do running.

And looking back, it's a bit obvious she wanted me to come.. But of course at the time I was cynical and thought she was just doing it as an icy-courtesy lest things get worse.

39 minutes ago, Feelwell the Rabbit said:

And in today's issue of "I fucked up again but I don't really want to make a rant thread though it'd save space and be more efficient", AKA IFUABIDRWMRTTIWSSME, I think I just had an option to work things out with a friend whom is pissed at me, and I'm pissed at her. Either that or she just wanted to talk/vent or something.

Annnd I turned it down for two reasons.

1. Because I'm being a moody asshole and really didn't want to talk to her.

2. She wanted to go running and I am not okay for that right now.

Well fuck. It only occurred to me to mention I just couldn't do running.

And looking back, it's a bit obvious she wanted me to come.. But of course at the time I was cynical and thought she was just doing it as an icy-courtesy lest things get worse.

Well sorry to hear, I dont know the situation but is it really too late to try mentioning that or talking it out? I dont quite know the details so I cant say it's fixable even if it seems that way.

Hopefully its only a minor petty argument and nothing too friendship damaging

4 minutes ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Well sorry to hear, I dont know the situation but is it really too late to try mentioning that or talking it out? I dont quite know the details so I cant say it's fixable even if it seems that way.

Hopefully its only a minor petty argument and nothing too friendship damaging

Y'know I'll just save space and throw it into rants.

Nevermind, I'll do that some other time..

• Like 1

On 3/6/2017 at 4:55 PM, Tsuujou said:

tumblr_inline_oe4jc87HeK1r0rcm1_540.png

I always check to see what post someone liked when I get the notification and it happened to be this one. And I can't look at this without cracking the fuck up. My man is about to make a SERIOUS purchase. The blur effect is too much... xD

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, SirRob said:

Rob was bad today, he needs to be "punished" with some mm, permanent consequences.

Tito_hq.jpg

Tito: "Aloha lil cuz! I heard from the big man that you have been getting into some serious juju. Like the ancient Hawaiians said, 'If the boys are getting outta whack, stick your cock in their crack'".

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Toshabi said:

Tito_hq.jpg

Tito: "Aloha lil cuz! I heard from the big man that you have been getting into some serious juju. Like the ancient Hawaiians said, 'If the boys are getting outta whack, stick your cock in their crack'".

This was all I needed today. I'll see you all later.

• Like 1

I've been feeling so weird and kind of stuck recently. I have a lot of the symptoms of autism, and I very much want to get tested for it, but I can't. We don't have a car right now, so I can't get to a doctor or anything like that. I almost feel bad for thinking I might have it because I hate self diagnosis and all that, but I have almost all of the symptoms of mild autism found in women. I've taken the Rivto Aspie test multiple times, and while I know it doesn't count as a diagnosis, I have an average score of 186.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

I've been feeling so weird and kind of stuck recently. I have a lot of the symptoms of autism, and I very much want to get tested for it, but I can't. We don't have a car right now, so I can't get to a doctor or anything like that. I almost feel bad for thinking I might have it because I hate self diagnosis and all that, but I have almost all of the symptoms of mild autism found in women. I've taken the Rivto Aspie test multiple times, and while I know it doesn't count as a diagnosis, I have an average score of 186.

Unless you need public services, you may be better off without a diagnosis. It closes more doors than it opens. If you think that you will need some form of public assistance related to mental health however, sooner is better.

13 minutes ago, Jtrekkie said:

Unless you need public services, you may be better off without a diagnosis. It closes more doors than it opens. If you think that you will need some form of public assistance related to mental health however, sooner is better.

We really do need help from public services. Not only that, but I personally would rather know than guess the rest of my life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

I feel the same way, tbh. Saying I have something is retarded and leaves me feeling stupid but Ive suspected the same for awhile and I too would like to know.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jtrekkie said:

I wonder how funding for public assistance/mental health/heath in general is going to hold up...I think it's going to be an increasingly hard time for people who don't have a lot of money for medical care, of whatever sort...not that things were ever all that great in the US, unless you had cash or a rare case of good insurance.

But I wonder: How would a diagnosis close more doors than it pens? I admit, I know little about this, though I have wondered why there seem to be so many people somewhere along the Autism spectrum, or who see themselves there. Anyway, just curious. Would it close doors in terms of creating a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy, or in other more concrete ways (legal issues, employment, &c.)

11 hours ago, Jtrekkie said:

Unless you need public services, you may be better off without a diagnosis. It closes more doors than it opens.

If you live in a country where that is true, let me be honest with you; your healthcare system and/or work ethics sucks donkeys ass

And personally, as someone who has been officially diagnosed to be on Asperger's spectrum, the diagnosis has never hurt my life, my job opportunities or my study opportunities. Quite opposite, it has helped me and my very close ones understand myself and my capabilities. Do take consideration that I don't live in US

Still, if you're really concerned about your mental status, @Sidewalk Surfboard go get yourself checked even if you're afraid that it will get you socially stigmatized if you do turn out to be positive

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snagged Cub said:

Still, if you're really concerned about your mental status, @Sidewalk Surfboard go get yourself checked even if you're afraid that it will get you socially stigmatized if you do turn out to be positive

I don't think there will be any difference in social stigma unless you go around telling everybody.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2017 at 1:09 AM, SirRob said:

Rob was bad today, he needs to be "punished" with some mm, permanent consequences.

No.

Your punishment is no punishment. 

6 hours ago, Nova said:

Guys,Did spring arrive in your country?

It came, look around for two days, said "fuck this" and ran away. 

On 3/10/2017 at 1:11 AM, Endless/Nameless said:

literally the only thing between me and full Canadian citizenship is taking the ritualistic maple syrup bath

POUTINE IS FUCKING GOOD

It's so heavy though...

I know most of my friends think it's sorta gross, and it personally makes me sick.

• Like 1

You guys may remember this illustration I posted of a landmark constellation I was designing to capture the shape of a bird's humerus:

landmark_scheme_humerus.png

Well, I've labeled 50 humerus bones from different bird species, and here is a computer's representation of those birds' constellations (in black), and an average of them in red.

plotAllSpecimens_Humerus.png

This is exciting because you can clearly see the shape of the landmark constellations matching the drawing. C:

I have also constructed a 'morphological space', with a Principal components analysis, where the axes PC1 and PC2 represent the shape variables that explain most of the variation (for instance PC1 is mostly made out of a measure of the relative length to stoutness of the humerus bone; you can tell because far-flung data points, like apus apus, have really stout humerus bones).

PCA_Humerus_pc1_pc2.png

Birds which belong the perching-bird group (Passeriformes) are coloured in red. The Analysis appears to show that perching birds occupy a smaller region of the total explored morphological space, than do all other birds, which is interesting because almost half of all birds are perching birds, so even though they are very species rich, they don't appear to be particularly diverse in shape.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Fossa-Boy said:

But I wonder: How would a diagnosis close more doors than it pens? I admit, I know little about this, though I have wondered why there seem to be so many people somewhere along the Autism spectrum, or who see themselves there. Anyway, just curious. Would it close doors in terms of creating a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy, or in other more concrete ways (legal issues, employment, &c.)

Self fulfilling prophecy is a thing. Unless you have someone in your life that prevents you from doing so, it's easy to rationalize your problems by telling yourself that you have a disability. Once you're in that mindset it's hard to keep doing the work to better yourself. But, more concretely, once you've qualified with a disability in order to keep the insurance payments your total earnings must remain under some limit. There's a penalty for exceeding it, and should you lose it you'll have trouble qualifying again, so you can't be too ambitious. Discriminating against an employee based on a disability (except for cases where the disability prevents the employer from meeting the job requirements) is illegal, but you'll have to notify your employers that you're disabled when you're hired.

On the legal side, Autism spectrum disorders are considered developmental disorders. In adoption or custody proceeding, and some others such as probate, you will be responsible for proving that you are competent. If you are one of the people prone to meltdowns as an adult, you could lose your power of attorney following an involuntary committal. A relative could petition to be appointed your legal guardian, and, again, you have to prove that you are competent. (That's one of my issues, only I don't have meltdowns.)

That stuff is kind of obvious, but not necessarily helpful to you personally. If you really need social services to function, then seeking a diagnosis is recommended. But for adults who are already functioning well on their own, a diagnosis is probably not worth the effort of getting one.

I didn't get anything about wanting to go on disability from Sidewalk's post. Rather that she just wanted a diagnosis, which can be helpful to figure out why you feel and act some of the ways that you do, and further your ability to see the signals ahead of time and counteract it when necessary.

Autism's quite a distance away from the issues that I have, but I thought I was just going the fuck insane (although I technically was, but that's besides the point) before I had an actual name to put to my condition, so I had a starting point to research and acquire treatment.
It's difficult to know how to help yourself if you're unsure and unknowing. Getting one gives you a point to work outwards from.

Sure, some people will use things like that as a crutch, but that could be said of anything, diagnosis or no.
People can also get institutionalized without a diagnosis.
I don't really see how things factor. Either you're prone to those behaviors or you're not. Having a name to your problems has little to do with that.

• Like 2

Finally got my power back last night. I was so glad to be able to take a shower.

After very heavy winds on Wed, 900,000 customers lost power. "Customers" means meters, really, in other words a house, unit, or business that is billed for electricity, so the total affected was over a million and possibly 2 million. About 650k of those meters were in the Detroit Metro area for DTE Energy. This was the worst outage in the area's history since the 2003 blackout (that was in the summer). Their outage map looked like this:

map.jpg

Back at the end of Feb the temps went up to 70 during the day... don't know why it could have been the same this week. Instead the highs were in the 20s and 30s and dropped into the teens last night. My own apartment was about 60 degrees the first night and 50 degrees the second night, which sounds warm enough but boy did it feel frozen in my room. I had to sleep in clothes and wrap in multiple blankets. Some of my refrigerated food I kept outside but some of it stayed warm too long and will have to be tossed.

I'm glad I got power back last night, but I still see many neighborhoods without power. I hope they're able to stay warm and no one, especially elderly or the sick, don't die.

10 minutes ago, Crazy Lee said:

Harambe Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!

I knew it. Don't let the cute behavior of those otters and their adorable squeaks fool you. They're murders.

Also, otters can also spray, sort of like a skunk, only not nearly as far, or with as much intensity, and mainly for scent marking...but I can't say I've ever smelled an otter. But watch out, they will get you, with their innocent seeming cuteness!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crazy Lee said:

Harambe Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!

I knew it. Don't let the cute behavior of those otters and their adorable squeaks fool you. They're murders.

51 minutes ago, Fossa-Boy said:

Also, otters can also spray, sort of like a skunk, only not nearly as far, or with as much intensity, and mainly for scent marking...but I can't say I've ever smelled an otter. But watch out, they will get you, with their innocent seeming cuteness!

ehehe :3c

But aren't we sooooo cute~?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

ehehe :3c

But aren't we sooooo cute~?

You do have a point, the cute factor is high...

Curiously, most otters I have known in the fandom have been very playful, flirty, funloving sorts...I've never really met a dark, edgy, mean otter!

• Like 1

• Vae pinned this topic