General Chat/Time-Waster Thread

Sar

I keep seeing emails circulating from the client-side telling folks to 'ignore the fire alarms'. Must be terribly annoying over there right now. Is that even legal to tell people not to pay attention to them? What if they actually have a fire?

Ars Technica has a cool Article on WordStar, a DOS word processor still popular with authors like George R. R. Martin this morning.

Edit: Lots of good articles today, it seems. This one on design philosophies of movie aliens from a particular special effects group.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrGravitas said:

I keep seeing emails circulating from the client-side telling folks to 'ignore the fire alarms'. Must be terribly annoying over there right now. Is that even legal to tell people not to pay attention to them? What if they actually have a fire?

My only question would be 

• Like 1

"Hey, I know what I'll do! I'll go up to my bedroom and do a bit of exercise to pass the time. Nothing strenuous."

Proceeds to barely do any squats, and then falls onto the bed and almost sleeps.

Then moves to get on the floor to do pushups, almost collapses.

Wondering if I accidentally spiked my sandwich with muscle relaxant?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DrGravitas said:

Ars Technica has a cool Article on WordStar, a DOS word processor still popular with authors like George R. R. Martin this morning.

That is an incredibly good article, and it forced me to rethink a pet project I'm itching to start.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DrGravitas said:

I would figure that's because he grew up with it.

If I recall rightly WordStar got blown out the water by Corel WordPerfect. Then when MS world finally matured a bit (by the time word 95 came out, combined with Corel dropping the ball at the time) it did the same to WordPerfect due to it not requiring users to memorise nearly as much keyboard shortcuts to get real productive in it.

I think this is a thing with Corel liking keyboard shortcuts a bit too much. Painter is like that as well to a extent though my muscle memory doesn't help with me being used to photoshop.

• Like 1

Today, for the first time ever, I attended a real public school.

Because everyone else there had formed cliques the day before, none of the other adults would sit next to me. I ended up doing the group study alone in the corner. nd when I introduced air into my fluid sample, everyone laughed and joked about how big my bubble was (the instructor messed up his sample, too .>.) During lunch, all of the seats were taken so I bought a sandwich off campus and ate outside instead. And when the day was over, everyone ignored me and didn't get the opportunity to ask the instructor for clarification. 

I find this amusing but high school must be tough.

59 minutes ago, Jtrekkie said:

Today, for the first time ever, I attended a real public school.

Because everyone else there had formed cliques the day before, none of the other adults would sit next to me. I ended up doing the group study alone in the corner. nd when I introduced air into my fluid sample, everyone laughed and joked about how big my bubble was (the instructor messed up his sample, too .>.) During lunch, all of the seats were taken so I bought a sandwich off campus and ate outside instead. And when the day was over, everyone ignored me and didn't get the opportunity to ask the instructor for clarification. 

I find this amusing but high school must be tough.

What on Earth were you doing...?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Vae said:

"Because fuck you if you don't want our spyware adware new OS.
Stop upgrading your hardware."

But what does hardware have to do with anything in that? Hardware doesn't decide what OS you will be using nor will it have controls that could inhibit sending info over Internet for "spying" purposes

EDIT: After reading the link posted by Grav it seems this hardware limitation is another scheme by Microsoft to shoehorn us to use the latest Windows 10 OS just so Microsoft doesn't have to support older Windows 7 and 8. Screw them indeed

• Like 1

I'd like to get a Sheltie someday, but I'm not in a hurry as I already have an awesome cat and I wouldn't want to stress him out.

In the meantime, maybe I'll just draw an anthro Sheltie. The copious amounts of fluff will be a challenge, but they have such cool coat patterns.

• Like 1

Aww, this news article indicates a wave of mange is affecting the population of adorable San Joaquin Kit Foxes.

tmp_2242-highlycontag486739698.jpg

I recall from a research collection that the Swift Fox is closely related and in some areas colocated. I don't know if that is true of the San Joaquin population, but it would be a shame to have this blight spread across both these endangered species.

• Like 1

Man, I'm slightly salty. I ordered a drink at Starbucks today 'cause I was thirsty. Specifically, a strawberries and cream frappuccino. I watched them make it, and god damn, if I had a blender, I could have made that at home! I made drinks like that all the time when I worked at my old school's coffee shop. I almost feel like I wasted my money. inb4 I did 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

Man, I'm slightly salty. I ordered a drink at Starbucks today 'cause I was thirsty. Specifically, a strawberries and cream frappuccino. I watched them make it, and god damn, if I had a blender, I could have made that at home! I made drinks like that all the time when I worked at my old school's coffee shop. I almost feel like I wasted my money. inb4 I did 

Salt may further dehydration :Y

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

Learning how to make your own coffee is infinitely cheaper and more rewarding if you get the stuff for it.

I love making pressed, hot coffee just the way I like it first thing in the morning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vae said:

Learning how to make your own coffee is infinitely cheaper and more rewarding if you get the stuff for it.

I love making pressed, hot coffee just the way I like it first thing in the morning.

All I would need to make the drinks like I did in school would be a blender and mocha powder. Maybe whipped cream.

Woah, what a lazy day. Went over to some friends around midnight, and watched old cartoons, nature documentaries, and other assorted compilations of weird things, sometimes to music other than the soundtracks supplied, and had these very potent pot brownies...I have not slept so long or peacefully in ages and with the best muscle relaxing effect outside of an expensive massage.

And thus passed the first of six days off for Spring break, at the library: walked home at 7 AM, made pasta with artichoke hearts, black olives, tomatoes and capers, ate, then hibernated all day in bed, so I think this was a success as far as vacations go, the type where you stay home. I can't wait to see where my sleep schedule lands after 6 days...that might be painful.

• Like 1

It's been nice so far being on this mini vacation from work due to surgery. True, I can't eat everything I want to eat, but it's great being able to do all of the things I never had time to do before. Going to the park with my dog, drawing, watching movies, relaxing, and just going wherever my mind takes me really. I know it's not a realistic mindset to be in, but I've never felt this free in quite some time. Life is good.

• Like 1

Tonight, my university Athletics club is hosting an event. It's a pub crawl in which we buy £49.95 worth of alcohol and partake in various athletic exercises

Screenshot_2017-03-18-01-55-08.png

I'd like to go, but I'm afraid that it will literally kill me

What do you folks think? 

5 minutes ago, DrDingo said:

Tonight, my university Athletics club is hosting an event. It's a pub crawl in which we buy £49.95 worth of alcohol and partake in various athletic exercises

What do you folks think? 

I think I would die.

5 minutes ago, DrDingo said:

What do you folks think? 

I think I would die.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DrDingo said:

What do you folks think?

Ooooof. I think for that amount, I'd get a nice bottle of Champagne (Bollinger comes to mind), some nice snacks to go with it, and have a friend over for movies instead! You know, something fun, but not out and out crazy.

Or, just buy something you've been wanting...your liver will thank you. Plus, trust me: it really is no fun, blacking out, and having things like black eyes and bruises, and no idea how ya got them. From my own trials and tribulations, this kinds drinking may start out fun, and end up ugly.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DrDingo said:

What do you folks think? 

I thought you guys spoke English over there :Y

Personally, I wouldn't do it. But then again, I don't drink soooo...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jtrekkie said:

Getting a new job, woohoo! Also means that I'll be spending some time at the University for certification.

Congrats! Hope you enjoy the new job.

58 minutes ago, DrDingo said:

What do you folks think? 

Fuck your liver.

• Like 1

Does the news at your place put pictures of accidents and dead people. Something like "Student crashes into cemetery, lands on grave, dies" for the title and show a picture of the dead  person lying in a grave.

2 hours ago, DrDingo said:

What do you folks think? 

I feel sorry for your liver.

• Like 1

YouTube should have a setting to let users view its videos at the exact pixel length of the video's resolution 

I don't wanna see a 480p video blown up out of proportion and looking all fuzzy. Make it smaller so it looks right to people's eyeballs

6 hours ago, Chaosmasterdelta said:

A few months ago my parents said that I could choose any collage to transfer to that I wanted.

You should be able to choose any collage you like.
My favorite are the magazine collages with lots of cute boys.

Seriously though, good luck, and I hope you find a good place for your studies.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chaosmasterdelta said:

A few months ago my parents said that I could choose any collage to transfer to that I wanted. Now they are making excuses and basicly saying that I dont have any say in the matter. This is exactly the kind of bullshit that I want to get away from by transfering as far as I can away from them.

Good luck here, and do as much as you can to have your say in the matter, and go far, far away. Few things are more dangerous than living with your parents, for too long. Hope all goes well, even if you need to be creative, work part-time, borrow a bit: Few things in life were as liberating for me than leaving home.

26 minutes ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Ha, good lord is it even a hard name to spell? Like a common or uncommon name?

I don't think it is hard to spell, but it is a rare name, which includes a 'kn' digraph that most English people are unable pronounce. (Most English people would say 'King Ka-noot' instead of 'King Knut')
As a result most pronounce the 'kn' noise as 'kl' and will write a word that includes that spelling, instead of my real name.
In addition to that English speakers struggle with the vowel sounds in my name, so they usually get at least one of them wrong too.

I wouldn't even mind, but this mistake regularly means that I can't get access to official documents about myself, and security guards have even tried to eject me from private events because my name on their books is spelled wrong.

2 hours ago, Saxon said:

includes a 'kn' digraph that most English people are unable pronounce.
In addition to that English speakers struggle with the vowel sounds in my name, so they usually get at least one of them wrong too.

so are you the predator or a klingon

• Like 2

• Vae pinned this topic