General Chat/Time-Waster Thread

Sar

3 hours ago, Saxon said:

To be honest, I think the entire idea that moral authority would be dictated by a God, even if one existed, is completely donkey balls anyway.

If God wanted me to kill my son* or cut his foreskin off**, those things would still be ethically repugnant.

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binding_of_Isaac
**https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis+17

I'm guessing those direct dictations from the true authority of God (which is apparently your standard for something being moral) are also just cherry picking, even though millions of boys still get their genitals mutilated because plenty of religious followers are screwed up enough to believe that they need to scar their genitals to satisfy Abraham's promise to God.

Lets talk about Islam. :^)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Toshabi said:

Lets talk about Islam. :^)

Both Christianity and Islam have in their religious texts a lot of shitty bronze age crap about genociding entire groups of people you don't like, treating women as property, killing gays, killing your first born, and shit like that. Most people who follow those two religions don't actually do every single little thing their books tell them to do and don't engage in such behavior, and are generally decent people. There are some fringe groups that engage in some shitty behavior because they're assholes and use their religious texts to excuse their asshole beliefs, but they're dicks and don't represent the entire religion. The end.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Crazy Lee said:

Both Christianity and Islam have in their religious texts a lot of shitty bronze age crap about genociding entire groups of people you don't like, treating women as property, killing gays, killing your first born, and shit like that. Most people who follow those two religions don't actually do every single little thing their books tell them to do and don't engage in such behavior, and are generally decent people. There are some fringe groups that engage in some shitty behavior because they're assholes and use their religious texts to excuse their asshole beliefs, but they're dicks and don't represent the entire religion. The end.

You forgot the part where its okay to bash Christianity but not okay to bash Islam. But Saxon knows that, that's why he has to resort to only making fun of the white people religion*.

*White people religion- religion assumed to only be for white people by most liberal politcal fisty-bumpers. i.e.- Christianity

Actually, minirant time. I'm actually growing pretty tired of this. At first, I understood why people had beef with a lot of Christians; mainly because it was tied to a lot of racism/sexism/homophobia. But in comes the muslims with their faith. Their religion, at the core, spawns the same kind of toxic thinking, much of which (in my exposure to) led to me experiencing it from living in a community where it was pretty heavily populated with Muslims. Now, it was pretty funny because we never mentioned we were gay or were too openly gay (Lets face it, you have that moment where you hold their hand or give them that "Yeah he likes them" smile). Our neighbors caught wind of this and the following days, we went from being completely ignored by them to getting the stink eye, having them have "prayers" made for us, and overall being treated like a piece of shit. There was ONE lady who actually talked to us about it. Her advice to us? "Its best you try to avoid them". So one little muslim lady came over to give a little compassion our way in terms of a warning about the rest of the community literally fucking hating us for existing. Mind you: We weren't loud neighbors, we didn't have these fucking CRAZY intense spurs of gay where we opening buttsexed in front of everyone and yet, because we were different, we were treated different. All because of one small hand holding.

And then I go to college and get told time after time after time again "People are cherry picking the Muslim faith because they hate them. We need to embrace and love thy Muslims!". And yet here I am with my fiance being treated like an outcast for being us. 

Where's the flack yo? SOME Christians do the same fucking shit. SOME muslims do this shit. Especially the ones that live in low income suburbs (which a lot of people do cause not all of us are rich). But do they get called out for this shit? Hell fucking no. In fact, if they DO get called on this shit, people label the people complaining about it as ISLAMAPHOBES or MUSLIM HATER or FUCKING CONSERVATIVES >:[

Its so fucking annoying cause the people parading around that shit are the same people who don't even have to live in these areas; who don't even have to deal with their closed-minded safe-guarded bullshit that the left seem to love to defend so much. Yeah, the Muslim faith at its core is about peace and love thy neighbor, but lets fucking face it, a good chunk really don't fucking like us gays. Same goes for Christians. But you don't see people calling that shit out. But Christianity on the other hand,....

mini rant over. 

Also 9/10 furries will deem me Islamaphobic from this. Time to get banned from cons \o/

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Crazy Lee said:

I've thought about this before and I am reluctant even to label societies which do have nasty practices as 'bad people', because the rituals a society is steeped in are very difficult for any individual to transcend. 

I watched a documentary about Papau New Guinea recently, and the film-makers came across a culture of people who cut off women's finger tips when their husbands die.
Are the people who allow this to happen nasty perpetrators who are using spiritual and cultural justifications to excuse and normalise a horrible behaviour?
Or are they themselves victims of social expectations which none of them are individually capable of changing?

I don't know if anybody can think of a good answer to that, or if there is a good or even complete answer.

TL;DR People who are dicks are dicks regardless of race, sex, religion, sexual orientation, gender, class, beverage preferance, and hobbies.

Wow? Who knew right? 

People just like to complain about people on the OTHER side, Im sick of it myself :/ I really dont give a fuck who or what your are stop fighting you self-centered pricks!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Toshabi said:

You forgot the part where its okay to bash Christianity but not okay to bash Islam. But Saxon knows that, that's why he has to resort to only making fun of the white people religion*.

*White people religion- religion assumed to only be for white people by most liberal politcal fisty-bumpers. i.e.- Christianity

The Binding of Isaac is in the Bible, but it's also in the Torah and the Qur'an. It is as much a part of Islam as it is a part of Christianity.

I can understand what you feel, because I've also been accused of being islamophobic in the past.
I actually think a couple of those accusations against me were justified, and I think I definitely had allowed a seed of prejudice to start growing. I feel bad that the people who accused me of that aren't still here, so that I can explain to them that they convinced me. (if anybody still talks to Gryphoneer, I think I was very unfair to him)

I realise my criticism of Christianity will usually be much more jovial and on-the-nose than my criticism of other religions. This is because I live in a country where Christianity is the official state religion and I grew up with christian prayer sessions as a mandatory part of school.

I don't know, I hope you can see where I'm coming from?

24 minutes ago, Saxon said:

The Binding of Isaac is in the Bible, but it's also in the Torah and the Qur'an. It is as much a part of Islam as it is a part of Christianity.

I can understand what you feel, because I've also been accused of being islamophobic in the past.
I actually think a couple of those accusations against me were justified, and I think I definitely had allowed a seed of prejudice to start growing. I feel bad that the people who accused me of that aren't still here, so that I can explain to them that they convinced me. (if anybody still talks to Gryphoneer, I think I was very unfair to him)

I realise my criticism of Christianity will usually be much more jovial and on-the-nose than my criticism of other religions. This is because I live in a country where Christianity is the official state religion and I grew up with christian prayer sessions as a mandatory part of school.

I don't know, I hope you can see where I'm coming from?

Sort of? But with the Binding of Isaac, you directly attack Christianity for it. Its apart of your country, yah, but at the same time, does that really make it right to cherry-pick and criticize it solely because 'it's the norm'? I dare you to do the same with the religion of Islam and see what happens when you throw those thoughts out to the general liberal crowd. You'll get eaten alive. Christianity is such a safe scapegoat for atheists to gut and wrench because there is little to no consequence. There is no social ostracizing outside of far-right states. The general media will praise you and glorify you for having such views and making such jokes. Slander against the Islamic faith will get you lynched. It doesn't matter how against gays Islam is, you do NOT fucking talk bad/jest about it, lest you get your head blown off. It's honestly because of that why I'm so peeved now when anything religion-bashing is brought up these days, unless its legit about a topic like Westboro Baptist or some asshole denying some gay couple a marriage license despite it being legal in their state or someone shooting up a gay club in the name of their religion

5 minutes ago, Toshabi said:

Sort of? But with the Binding of Isaac, you directly attack Christianity for it. Its apart of your country, yah, but at the same time, does that really make it right to cherry-pick and criticize it solely because 'it's the norm'? I dare you to do the same with the religion of Islam and see what happens when you throw those thoughts out to the general liberal crowd. You'll get eaten alive. Christianity is such a safe scapegoat for atheists to gut and wrench because there is little to no consequence. There is no social ostracizing outside of far-right states. The general media will praise you and glorify you for having such views and making such jokes. Slander against the Islamic faith will get you lynched. It doesn't matter how against gays Islam is, you do NOT fucking talk bad/jest about it, lest you get your head blown off. It's honestly because of that why I'm so peeved now when anything religion-bashing is brought up these days, unless its legit about a topic like Westboro Baptist or some asshole denying some gay couple a marriage license despite it being legal in their state or someone shooting up a gay club in the name of their religion

Well, being in a traditionally christian society as well as a former christian definitely means I have more motivation to criticise it, mostly because I know more about it than I do about Judaism, Islam or Buddhsim. I don't really ever bother criticising Hinduism because I don't live in a Hindu society and I've never been a Hindu. Nobody tells me that I'm cherry picking and not mentioning Hinduism because I'm scared of being seen as prejudiced.

In any case, I actually have criticised Islam before (I'm actually embarrassed by some of the comments I made about it) and people didn't try to ostracise me for it.

Essentially the deal is this; when I criticise christianity people send me 400 word private messages in bold red font trying to convince me that I'm a horrible person. I can deal with that, because I just laugh at it.
When I criticise Islam I get approached by racists who have misread my intentions and think that I support them. I was approached by one man who began talking about 'Gypsies and Negroes'. Like...Jesus friggin' Christ.

I don't know if you want to continue this conversation in PM's anyway? lest we spam up the forums. ;3

3 hours ago, Saxon said:

I've thought about this before and I am reluctant even to label societies which do have nasty practices as 'bad people', because the rituals a society is steeped in are very difficult for any individual to transcend. 

I watched a documentary about Papau New Guinea recently, and the film-makers came across a culture of people who cut off women's finger tips when their husbands die.
Are the people who allow this to happen nasty perpetrators who are using spiritual and cultural justifications to excuse and normalise a horrible behaviour?
Or are they themselves victims of social expectations which none of them are individually capable of changing?

I don't know if anybody can think of a good answer to that, or if there is a good or even complete answer.

I think from what I've read that a lot of sociologists would suggest both positions are not mutually exclusive and are useful to hold in tandem. I believe anthropologists would tend to agree and I would assume psychologists would too, but they don't exactly hit both positions equally, and I know even less about psychology than I do anthropology, which is little.

I know of few sociologists that would not condemn that behavior, but I almost guarantee that those same sociologists would also see that condemnation as a gross waste of time without recognizing and addressing the fundamental norms and values that cause that institution in that society; i.e. the information provided by position two is useless without the interpretation provided by position one and vice versa, and that, while the culture creates the institutions that individuals are expected and forced to follow, there would be no culture or institutions without individuals perpetuating them.

So maybe not a good or complete answer, but I am not aware of anything better.

I'd have trouble articulating anything beyond that or expanding that to other conclusions and positions without having to use one of the main perspectives to justify any points, so I'll stop there before I say something annoying and/or stupid.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MalletFace said:

I think from what I've read that a lot of sociologists would suggest both positions are not mutually exclusive and are useful to hold in tandem. I believe anthropologists would tend to agree and I would assume psychologists would too, but they don't exactly hit both positions equally, and I know even less about psychology than I do anthropology, which is little.

I know of few sociologists that would not condemn that behavior, but I almost guarantee that those same sociologists would also see that condemnation as a gross waste of time without recognizing and addressing the fundamental norms and values that cause that institution in that society; i.e. the information provided by position two is useless without the interpretation provided by position one and vice versa, and that, while the culture creates the institutions that individuals are expected and forced to follow, there would be no culture or institutions without individuals perpetuating them.

So maybe not a good or complete answer, but I am not aware of anything better.

I'd have trouble articulating anything beyond that or expanding that to other conclusions and positions without having to use one of the main perspectives to justify any points, so I'll stop there before I say something annoying and/or stupid.

Yeah I think that's a thoughtful post.
The documentary was presented by white-water rafters, and they reacted gingerly, saying that it seems odd to outsiders to cut off somebody's fingers, but that it is their way of life so we should refrain from judging them.
However, these same white water rafters were later very critical of the group's tradition that a wife should be expected to do all the physical work.

Here's some footage of the tribe on youtube, just to show people that might be skeptical that this tribe does actually exist:
(they don't wear brasiers and men do not cover their testicles, so I suppose I have to warn people who would be offended by that)

I think it's important to remember that we're not as different to tribes like this as many of us would probably like to imagine, because we still live in a society where it's okay to cut body parts off of people for spiritual reasons. When the tribe met the white water rafters one of the tribesmen was very worried that the vegetable husk he uses to hide his penis would fall off, causing him embarrassment, so even though they are almost completely naked they still have social expectations about dress- and that reminds me of our culture too.

33 minutes ago, Gator said:

guess who just ate a "sharing size" bag of m&ms ;v;

How I envy you right now... too dark to go buy some for myself.

57 minutes ago, Saxon said:

---Snip---

Does this same tribe also practice the uhm ritualised homosexual sex? Like, boys have to ingest sperm to ever hope to be a man.

8 hours ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

Can we just talk about noodles?

Ever tried these noodles?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mayonnaise said:

How I envy you right now... too dark to go buy some for myself.

Does this same tribe also practice the uhm ritualised homosexual sex? Like, boys have to ingest sperm to ever hope to be a man.

I looked it up and, the finger-amputating tribe is the Dani, while the semen-drinking tribe is the Etoro.

2 minutes ago, Gator said:

ENVY NOT THE WEAK OF WILL.  especially now that i feel nauseous from the sugar. 

*nature documentary voice*

The bloated full gator retreats lazily to his underwater larder to recuperate and digest. He may not feed again for up to a week.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mayonnaise said:

I actually looked this up, its a weird cultural practice but if they believe ingesting sperm is somehow beneficial I dont see it as a big deal, and in that case it isnt sexual...

However, some of those cultures actually do have sex with boys in the belief that it will make them men  and that part is actually kind of fucked up :/

13 minutes ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

I actually looked this up, its a weird cultural practice but if they believe ingesting sperm is somehow beneficial I dont see it as a big deal, and in that case it isnt sexual...

However, some of those cultures actually do have sex with boys in the belief that it will make them men  and that part is actually kind of fucked up :/

Imo being forced to drink village elders' semen is still just as bad, whether or not the village elders enjoy making people do it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saxon said:

Imo being forced to drink village elders' semen is still just as bad, whether or not the village elders enjoy making people do it.

It is awful to force someone to drink it for the sake of it, but it doesnt seem comparatively harmful as other cultural traditions

I guess all of these have a common tie in shaming or ostracizing those who dont participate or pass their cultural test...the weird part is I can see that happening to a degree in western culture. 

17 minutes ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

I guess all of these have a common tie in shaming or ostracizing those who dont participate or pass their cultural test...the weird part is I can see that happening to a degree in western culture. 

It does. It's called 'hazing'. :P

23 minutes ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

It is awful to force someone to drink it for the sake of it, but it doesnt seem comparatively harmful as other cultural traditions

Yes we definitely have lots of practices in our culture which are reminiscent of tribal behaviour, for example the expectation that women need to have painted faces, where shoes that exaggerate their height, and pierce their ears with shiny metal.

If you change the nouns until they are unfamiliar, it sounds like you are describing some far-flung tribe.

'For example, they are expected to paint their chests, where metal rings to make their necks look longer and pierce their noses with bones'.

2 hours ago, Gator said:

the sad part is i dont even really like m&ms very much but they have a good mouthfeel

I feel like you're eating M&Ms for the wrong reason if you just like the feeling of them in your mouth...

The same feeling could be recreated for much cheaper by just having a bunch of pebbles in your mouth.

47 minutes ago, Zerig said:

this is fucking awful

cookies&cream.jpeg

the cashier lied to me, he said it was the best flavor

ruined my brekkie

Honestly that just sounds like it would be like melted ice cream except less tasty.

8 hours ago, Feelwell the Rabbit said:

I feel like you're eating M&Ms for the wrong reason if you just like the feeling of them in your mouth...

The same feeling could be recreated for much cheaper by just having a bunch of pebbles in your mouth.

excuse me but i have done this and i can confirm it is not at all the same.  the pebbles are not crunchy, nor do they melt.  >:^(

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Mayonnaise said:

Slept for like 12 hours, would've been longer if an earthquake didn't wake me up.

Go punch the ground. That'll teach it.

And woo, finally found a good option and living situation for college.

However, the drive back from the open-house was followed by what I think was intended to be an inspiring speech, but now I have an overwhelming urge to swallow a razorblade and bleach sandwich.

With tabasco, of course.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

I thought Science was just a form of art 0:

THE ART OF EXPERIMENTATION 

Science is the art of setting fire to or blowing up things, while making it look liked you intended to do that.

45 minutes ago, Crazy Lee said:

Science is supposed to just be science, but then everyone had to go and make it all political, because people suck.

My gender is Physics.

• Like 2

• Vae pinned this topic