General Chat/Time-Waster Thread

Sar

So yay, found out who all my friends who are wrestling fans are.... most of them apparently.

Apparently Wrestlemania happened and the Undertaker retired. I keep seeing it all over my social media feeds. I don't really care, I don't follow wrestling, but the Undertaker was pretty cool, so good for him. (who knows, he might come back later on...)

And, I have a hockey game tonight. The Red Wings are having their last season in their old stadium/arena, and I figured I'd enjoy it before it was gone. Weekday tickets were the only cheap ones, weekends were like $170 and higher.

Opening day for the Baltimore Orioles, and we beat the testy Toronto Blue Jays with a walk off home run in the 11th inning.

And to make things better, the Yankees had an embarrassing 7-3 loss on Sunday, for their season opener.

Well, only 161 games left in the regular season :)

1 hour ago, Fossa-Boy said:

Opening day for the Baltimore Orioles, and we beat the testy Toronto Blue Jays with a walk off home run in the 11th inning.

And to make things better, the Yankees had an embarrassing 7-3 loss on Sunday, for their season opener.

Well, only 161 games left in the regular season :)

Congrats to the Baltimore Oreos.

• Like 2

This is a complete shot in the dark, but if I say the words 'R' and 'Bootstrapping' does anybody know what I'm talking about?

If so, read the below?

I'm trying to do bootstrapping on two 2 dimensional clouds of data to figure out the standard error of their variances.
The two clouds are 17 points and 33 points in size respectively, and the sub-samples for bootstrapping are 12 points in size.
I'm trying to get it so that the returned variables are as follows:

Originals: The standard errors of the 2 point clouds. *Not the subsamples*

standard errors: A notion of error informed by the bootstrapped subsamples.

Currently my 'originals' are actually a the first subsample, which is not what I want.

13 minutes ago, Saxon said:

This is a complete shot in the dark, but if I say the words 'R' and 'Bootstrapping' does anybody know what I'm talking about?

If so, read the below?

Reveal hidden contents

I'm trying to do bootstrapping on two 2 dimensional clouds of data to figure out the standard error of their variances.
The two clouds are 17 points and 33 points in size respectively, and the sub-samples for bootstrapping are 12 points in size.
I'm trying to get it so that the returned variables are as follows:

Originals: The standard errors of the 2 point clouds. *Not the subsamples*

standard errors: A notion of error informed by the bootstrapped subsamples.

Currently my 'originals' are actually a the first subsample, which is not what I want.

OK, without looking, I recall Bootstrapping is some kinda maths/statistics related thing, some kinda technique.

That, or related to the Red Lantern.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fossa-Boy said:

OK, without looking, I recall Bootstrapping is some kinda maths/statistics related thing, some kinda technique.

Yes. It selects permutations of sub-samples from a larger dataset and performs a statistical test on them, in order to assess how sensitive the data is to change when random points are omitted.

It's a way of generating confidence intervals, (seemingly out of thin air in my opinion).

11 minutes ago, Fossa-Boy said:

This is the second time i've seen the red lantern mentioned, was a link to it in forum games but it went nowhere. Sssssssuper sssssecret ssssssssubforum. What it be and what rampant acts of furfaggotry would i have to perform in order to view it?

9 minutes ago, [null] said:

This is the second time i've seen the red lantern mentioned, was a link to it in forum games but it went nowhere. Sssssssuper sssssecret ssssssssubforum. What it be and what rampant acts of furfaggotry would i have to perform in order to view it?

Make 69 legitimate (non-black hole, non-forum games, etc) posts and be over 18, then apply. Check out The Great Red Update thread for more details.

And this thread for other new member info threads.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DrGravitas said:

Make 69 legitimate (non-black hole, non-forum games, etc) posts and be over 18, then apply. Check out The Great Red Update thread for more details.

And this thread for other new member info threads.

Apologies but i'm far too edgy and cool (or is that lazy and dickish? i always confuse the two) to read forum rules. Still, thanks for letting me know i only have to shitpost 64 times before i can sit back with some popcorn and see what horrors the adult subforum has to offer.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Aeon said:

lol, i applied a long time ago when i just turned eighteen and a year later I get reminded of it xD

Heh, I have the same problem with my coworkers/client all the time. Folks get busy and forget, it's human nature. You gotta push (politely) for what you want sometimes.

• Like 1

I got it working! Here's some examples of the sub-samples which the boot-strapping technique made:

boot_strapping_examples.png

In each plot, the black represents a bunch of 'non-passerine' birds and the red represents a bunch of 'passerine' birds, that are chosen from the overall dataset. The axes represent shape variables that describe the shapes of the birds' humerus bones.

I actually ran 2000 sub-samples.

So now I know what the standard error of the variance of each group is, and it is time to use the standard errors that the sub-samples have given me to determine if the two variances are distinct from one another.

If they really are distinct, this would support the findings of a scientist called Cooney who published a paper that did a similar thing, but on bird beaks instead of wing bones.

C:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

I just went into my art accounts and changed my bio information, again.

Aw damn it why does everything I have to say sound so cringey? It's a shame I left it that way for so long.

What even do you put in bios?

Sounds familiar. I wouldn't be surprised if that's a main reasons for changing one's bio. We live with it until the cringe gets so bad that we're compelled to change it.

• Like 1

Bill Cooper makes amazing Art:

http://www.williamtcooper.com.au/gallery/

5 minutes ago, Shill Sham said:

Have you ever had a random middle aged women come up behind you and sniff your hair?  It's an interesting experience that I could do without.  Though she told me I smelled like a cedar version of her son.  So that's nice I suppose.

Well that's a pretty creepy behaviour.

11 hours ago, Jtrekkie said:

What's a good way to wake up lazy bones?

I hear tasers are wildly effective.

Getting out and about with some fresh air on a good air makes it a lot easier.

Just force of will to get out side, that's the hardest step.

4 minutes ago, Shill Sham said:

Have you ever had a random middle aged women come up behind you and sniff your hair?  It's an interesting experience that I could do without.  Though she told me I smelled like a cedar version of her son.  So that's nice I suppose.

Run.

3 hours ago, Mayonnaise said:

So one of our MP practically said that rape victims can have a good life if they marry their rapist.

Just... WTF

I can see no possible repercussions.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shill Sham said:

Well, hopefully nothing's happened to her son - then this would be pretty damn sad. Otherwise it's just creepy.

37 minutes ago, Victor-933 said:

-video-

After that video I found myself watching videos of people being tasered. It's amazing how patient some of the cops in these videos are and also how some of these people are just like "NOPE NOT GOING DOWN"

1 hour ago, Shill Sham said:

Happens all the time. :V

5 hours ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

I just went into my art accounts and changed my bio information, again.

Aw damn it why does everything I have to say sound so cringey? It's a shame I left it that way for so long.

What even do you put in bios?

"here's some shit i made, don't ask for free stuff."

actually that sounds like a great bio; next time i purge mine i'mma use exactly that.

kinda sad nobody really uses bios because nobody wants to read them, so it comes off looking really awkward when anyone actually does.

9 hours ago, Gator said:

"here's some shit i made, don't ask for free stuff."

actually that sounds like a great bio; next time i purge mine i'mma use exactly that.

kinda sad nobody really uses bios because nobody wants to read them, so it comes off looking really awkward when anyone actually does.

That's odd, I always like when people have something to say, and rather enjoy reading them, rather than just seeing nothing. I've never quite understood why so many furs seem so shy about them...or, well, so shy in general, almost scared. Well, I mean I do kind of understand, though I don't understand why so many seem quite so scared/fearful of others, and what they might think.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Fossa-Boy said:

Weird, if you have this site display in red and white, the logo looks a lot like Chick-fil-A

I usually have it in blue, but it somehow defaulted to red, and I thought for a moment, it was a Chick-fil-A pop up ad.

i'm just gonna use the new pretty theme furever

• Like 2

My big, day-long presentation for work now includes significant amounts of material from a system I have no knowledge in, specific changes deviating from the system I do know, and a enough material and lab requirements that it seems impossible to think it could be covered even given an entire day. Only two days left to prep it and I still don't have access to the database I need to provide test data in. I hope I don't end up having to work over the weekend for this thing... Ugh, I haven't had to do that in years.

On-site supervisor asked for an update on the work items I've not touched this week. Told him I've been busy preparing the presentation (that his boss asked me to do) :3

too-busy-people-workplace-ecard-someecards.jpg

So, for taxes I have to add up business expenses over the year. And normally I do it on a spreadsheet, but I'm wondering if I should do it in a database this year instead. Not sure if I just want to make one giant table for the entire year, or several smaller tables. Then I would have to figure out what the columns of the table would be, either Month Day Data Text, or, if it will allow me to have a date box with JUST month and day, have it be Date (m/d) Data Text. But I'd want a form where I enter the date (or month, day), then enter the data and it either enters a new field or finds the existing field for that date and updates it. Hmm.

On 4/4/2017 at 2:23 PM, [null] said:

The Red Lantern does not exist. It is NOT the adult board of this site. It does NOT have degeneracy and faggotry and fornication and debauchery and hearsay on a level that would give Jesus PTSD and send you on a one-way ticket to the lowest level of Dante's Hell, to wallow in the shit with Satan.

On 4/4/2017 at 6:46 PM, Mayonnaise said:

So one of our MP practically said that rape victims can have a good life if they marry their rapist.

Just... WTF

Well, as long as many societies still think that somehow a Virgin woman is desirable because they've been somehow tainted otherwise.... which makes no sense from an evolutionary or animal instinct standpoint...although I guess if you're an animal and mate with a female that's just been with another male there's always that possibility she's already pregnant, but that doesn't really translate to "non-virgins BAD".

22 hours ago, Victor-933 said:

[video]

Don't know why cops Taze people first nowadays. What, you weren't trained to drop a dude with your pinkie? Man up.

21 hours ago, Tsuujou said:

Thank you, Chef Ramsay.

DEM'S FIGHTING WORDS BITCH. I'M SIDING WITH DiGIORNO HERE MOTHERFUCKER. RAMSAY YOU WANNA FIGHT SOMEONE JUST AS FUCKING ANGRY AS YOU ARE, BRING IT YOU CUCK BRIT SHITHEAD. LET'S GO AND MAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON THOSE AROUND US.

• Like 4

So I've been working from home, to take an online class paid for by my employer, and my circadian rhythms are already out of whack. I'm not sure exactly how many hours I slept this afternoon, but I woke up around 7pm and thought it was 7am tomorrow morning. It feels so surreal when that happens. Considering how well rested I am, I feel like drawing or maybe making something in the garage, instead of going to bed. It's times like these when I wonder if I'd be nocturnal if not for the fact that the rest of society operates during the day.

• Like 1

In todays adventure,

I walked past a coworker today, I saw a fly on her shirt. For a split second it occured to me in my head that it would be a nice gesture to shoo a fly off her shirt, a split second later in another part of my brain that urged me on a whim, I knew touching someone was not a good idea and they should just do it on their own.

Another second later I realized that fly was directly on her breast and it would have been weird if I tried to excuse that and say "oh, there was a fly on you".

...and this is why my brain's reaction to hold back and not touch people is a lifesaver 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

In todays adventure,

I walked past a coworker today, I saw a fly on her shirt. For a split second it occured to me in my head that it would be a nice gesture to shoo a fly off her shirt, a split second later in another part of my brain that urged me on a whim, I knew touching someone was not a good idea and they should just do it on their own.

Another second later I realized that fly was directly on her breast and it would have been weird if I tried to excuse that and say "oh, there was a fly on you".

...and this is why my brain's reaction to hold back and not touch people is a lifesaver 

Touch the boob!

touch the boob... you know you want to.

The military just launched cruise missiles at an air force base in Syria. Anyone up for somein WW3? The small-dicked tyrants of the world want to play again.

And Tomorrow is when I'll be at the fur convention. I'll check in every once in a while. @Caledonian I'll pass the price of those shirts to you if you still want one. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Crazy Lee said:

The military just launched cruise missiles at an air force base in Syria. Anyone up for somein WW3? The small-dicked tyrants of the world want to play again.

And Tomorrow is when I'll be at the fur convention. I'll check in every once in a while. @Caledonian I'll pass the price of those shirts to you if you still want one. 

Seems he has changed his mind then.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Crazy Lee said:

Thank you for your efford. Sadly, i am very low on money as of now, and planning on investing in a new costume. I am afraid i have to pass.

Have fun!

• Like 1

• Vae pinned this topic