General Chat/Time-Waster Thread

Sar

So I mentioned in the "things you love" thread that the house across the street hired a Mexican tree crew to take out a huge oak in their front yard. My neighbors next to me decided that was a good idea.

0407171135-00.thumb.jpg.a0031472483c29747bb0e503abd53b2b.jpg

This was less than two hours after they showed up. The tree came down about 30 minutes later.

Got more of my art printed a few days ago.
Walmart's print quality is surprisingly really good.
(Too bad my phone cam isn't.)

20170405_180722_2.png.a3be5c8dfba2e1fff11bb5c34d0cf99f.png
20170405_182037_2.thumb.png.4d5129243719f4376386ede319d1949f.png
20170405_182354_2.thumb.png.22ed41e96679bb5b078529b56ca024e1.png

Their metallics kind of suck ass though, which is  disappointing.

Metallic vs normal 5x7":
20170405_182704_2.png.11b77e40164f00c1a4a0d1741269f9e3.png

But at least it's a cheap, decent printing option, since I want more art in physical form.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Glowing Glass said:

I'll keep this in mind.

In all seriousness this is an extremely helpful pneumonic device for remembering the fundamental rules of trig. When I was taking my professional engineering exam I was reciting this device regularly.  It's silly but it works.  Let me know if you need an actual explanation of how to use it.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Strongbob said:

In all seriousness this is an extremely helpful pneumonic device for remembering the fundamental rules of trig. When I was taking my professional engineering exam I was reciting this device regularly.  It's silly but it works.  Let me know if you need an actual explanation of how to use it.  

Sine Opposite Hypotenuse. Cosine Adjacent Hypotenuse. Tangent Opposite Adjacent.

Thank you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Strongbob said:

Some Old Horse

Caught Another Horse

Tripping On Acid

That's everything you need to know about Trigonometry  

I learned it as 'SOH-CAH-TOA!'

Means nothing but it stuck. I like to imagine it's the name of a Samurai or something.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Glowing Glass said:

I have 28 days to learn 352 lessons in geometry and trigonometry. Any tips?

There are 180 degrees in pi radians - that is, 180 per 3.14 rad. One radian != 180 degrees.(Also, the arclength of 1 radian = radius, but that's more of a cool tidbit)

Sine, Cosine, functions all generate ratios that range between -1 and 1. So, the statement: "sin(30) = .5" means "if you divide the opposite and hypotenuse of any right-angle containing 30 degrees, those two sides will divide to .5, always". Tangent generates ratios between negative infinity and positive infinity, because tangent is weird (the real reason is because the hypotenuse isn't involved).

The tangent function is weird, and no one usually cares about it.

All the angles inside a triangle add up to 180 [(3-2)*180]. Rectangle, 360 [(4-2)*180]. Pentagon, 540 [(5-2)*180]. etc.

Trigonometric identity problems are basically math puzzles that only lots and lots of practice will help you solve. That said, plugging in "sin^2+cos^2=1" and "tan = sin/cos" whenever possible will usually lead to success.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saxon said:

I learned it as 'SOH-CAH-TOA!'

Means nothing but it stuck. I like to imagine it's the name of a Samurai or something.

This really bugs me

People accumulate a lot of information that overlaps, so - do I need to say why a Japanese name wouldn't be spelled that way?

26 minutes ago, Tyranno said:

This really bugs me

People accumulate a lot of information that overlaps, so - do I need to say why a Japanese name wouldn't be spelled that way?

I'm not under the impression that any bunch of letters that sounds Japanese to English ears is actually Japanese.

3 hours ago, Tyranno said:

This really bugs me

Its not a serious perception of language, why are you being a stickler over made up sounds that carry no relevant meaning? You shouldnt be bugged over something so meaningless

Phew, up past my bed-time! I'm very happy, though, finally met a few friendly new furs to RP with, who are also great writers, and who can also be very funny...it's curious, how fast time passes, when you're really engaged in something you enjoy.

What else? I've been generally ignoring the news, and have not been on here as much...not too much to say, I guess? I'll have to poke into the games section, and post there some, always did like the way that cheers me up.

• Like 1

Edit: A more important question came to mind. Do European homosexuals come out of the wardrobe?

Upon finding a new old book, it occured that while many of the old ideas of anthropology from the 19th century have been thoroughly abandoned, the methods and sources that precipitated their development have not. In this case, the Cultural Evolutionism of Taylor and Morgan, which has guided modern anthropology and to an extent politics, and their historical method (which is partially subjective, and therefore unable to correct mass bias.) These ideas are recent, and while some errors have (probably) been corrected, the foundation we stand on is skewed.

"The most usual way to classify the various races and peoples of the world is by color. Thus we have the black or Negro race; the yellow, or Mongolian race; and the white, or Caucasian, race. 

The black race is found chiefly in Africa, Australia, and the neighboring islands. I'm those lands it includes many that stand low in the scale of human progress; they have done practically nothing for the civilization of the world.

The yellow, or Mongolian, race has occupied the central and eastern parts of Asia, and has made some advance in the art of civilized life. But it early became stationary, and its contributions to human progress have been few...

The most progressive peoples of the world have been the white, or Caucasian, race. There are many Caucasian peoples, and when we attempt to arrange them into distinct groups, we find it difficult.... It is, therefore, usual to group them according to their language into three divisions; namely, the Hamitic, Semitic, and Aryan. Ancient history is, for the most part, a record of the Caucasian peoples."

William Morey, Ph.D. (1915) Outlines of Ancient History.

• Like 1

Still thinking about doing taxes in an Access database... I found it easier to have month and day in separate data fields, as opposed to one date/time field, when it comes to entering data. Because then I can be like "5 tab 23 tab 2016 tab data tab data" and just tab to the next field really fast. Speeds things up. But I hate how it looks.

On 4/7/2017 at 3:42 AM, Caledonian said:

Thank you for your efford. Sadly, i am very low on money as of now, and planning on investing in a new costume. I am afraid i have to pass.

Have fun!

Ended up being $10 a shirt, up to 5X USA size, and they said they had quite a few. How I'd get one later I have no idea, they're not responsive at all on social media.

1 hour ago, Gator said:

HORNET IN THE KITCHEN HORNET IN THE KITCHEN!!!

thank god something killed it.  idk if it was the dog or not because i ran away but when i came back it was dead so now i can eat c:

...uh... d'you mean you're going to eat the hornet:S

• Like 3

Despite the drama here sometimes, I enjoy the overall former FAF/Phoenix community we have any day of the week over furries on Twitter, FAM, DeviantArt, SoFurry, InkBunny, Tumblr, and just general IRL furries. I've tried a lot of different places and it has without fail ended poorly everywhere but here. Say what you will about this place, but we typically oust people who are actually really really disgusting or troubling and find themselves here. People like Buck, MajorLeeSnake, and Ampersand. A lot of crowds I've known to accept folks like those three without even a question. But this place has some sort of filter. It comes with the looming prospect of ideological clashes sometimes, but I'm sure we would all rather have that than people who think they'll get away with their gross horseshit because other furry communities accept their baggage. 

(This was supposed to be posted in a different topic but it actually has nothing to do with the OP I was responding to so I'll just post it here)

• Like 8

8 hours ago, DrGravitas said:

D: How'd that happen?

Basically I usually save my work locally, but always back it up to Sharepoint, because I use about 3 different devices to complete work on. I used a computer in uni to do some work but forgot to back it up, and now I'm home from uni for Easter, and didn't back up my work to Sharepoint, and the deadline for the work is basically straight after the holiday, so the work is as good as lost, if that makes sense. It's just one of those darn things!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gator said:

HORNET IN THE KITCHEN HORNET IN THE KITCHEN!!!

thank god something killed it.  idk if it was the dog or not because i ran away but when i came back it was dead so now i can eat c:

Reminds me of the hornet that ended up in my kitchen. Couldn't find the Raid, but I found a can of flea spray.

Not sure what's in it but it fucking works on more than just fleas. Just the slightest misting was enough to kill the hornet, even if it did take a while. Kills the bejeezus out of roaches too.

8c618864-eced-44c5-a0e9-124b0a7c5b9a_1.6c89656a218944ac8ff1d5aa955426eb.jpeg.71d59de04a37d4e4bbcc6970c9a485e8.jpeg

Hitler in a Can right there.

Watched a random Youtube video this morning and got unexpectedly assaulted by furry psychology.  Granted, it was just a passing reference while talking about internet fandoms, but I was quite surprised how easily the commentator just rolled into a furry reference without any explanation.  Do people just accept that everyone knows who we are now?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Victor-933 said:

Reminds me of the hornet that ended up in my kitchen. Couldn't find the Raid, but I found a can of flea spray.

Not sure what's in it but it fucking works on more than just fleas. Just the slightest misting was enough to kill the hornet, even if it did take a while. Kills the bejeezus out of roaches too.

8c618864-eced-44c5-a0e9-124b0a7c5b9a_1.6c89656a218944ac8ff1d5aa955426eb.jpeg.71d59de04a37d4e4bbcc6970c9a485e8.jpeg

Hitler in a Can right there.

this is good to know.  i'm glad we don't get fleas here, though.  i don't like having fleas.

• Vae pinned this topic