General Chat/Time-Waster Thread

Sar

Hmm. Creepy old man in the apartment down and across the hall fell down in the morning in front of my door. I was awakened by the crash, and figured out someone had fallen. I was half awake and pondered whether to get up and help them or go back to sleep, and listened to hear if they were getting up by themselves. I finally heard the apartment manager and another tenant come up and help the guy back to his apt. I also heard the manager ask if he wanted him to call 911, and the old man refused.

Turns out the guy was found dead an hour later. I think he might have had a stroke or heart attack and that's why he fell. Reminds me of our morality, but I'm not sad over it. The guy was strange and a bit mental. He would creep on teenage and college girls, acting if they liked him just because they were nice to him, and one time even told me he heard voices and thought it was a girl who was nice to him. He was kinda weird and creepy.

Oh well. RIP. His apt is now being stripped and repainted and carpeted.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tsuujou said:

Ooooooh fuck. Shooting up in Vegas.

More than 50 victims died, and at least 200 others were wounded, officials said, making it one of the deadliest mass shootings in United States history.

Jesus.

EDIT: Now they're saying the death toll is 58, and 515 were hurt.

So I almost got in big trouble for being in the gym building without having a class there even though it was apparently fine before. I even asked to see if any student could use the locker room before. I was also stopped by school security for a talk and to show them my student id. Now I'm kinda scared to go anywhere/do anything that doesnt have everything to do with going to my classes.

So, I'm in the middle of my 2 week vacation and I figured I'd give an update. I left work at 4:30 on the 29th and went to my new apartment north of Detroit to do the move-in inspection and see what things are already damaged so I'm not charged for them, and was on the road by 6:15. I managed to make it to a rest area near Effingham, Illinois at 3:30 the next morning and napped for a few hours. Then I left the rest area before 7 and drove through St. Louis and the southern portion of Missouri, all of Arkansas, and most of Texas to arrive at my mom's house near San Antonio at 11:30 that night. It was a 1050 mile trip that day. So far on my trip I've been at Mom's house, her mom's assisted living/nursing home thingy in Seguin, my Dad's Mom's house in New Braunfels, my step-sister's house in San Antonio, my best friend's house in Uvalde, and my Dad's house in El Paso, which is where I am now. I'm halfway through my trip and it's been roughly 2600 miles and lots of activity between drives.

Everyone's happy to see me, but with the exception of my dad, everyone has things going on in their lives that makes me worry about them. Mom's company was bought out by another company a couple month's back and she was let go, so she's started collecting unemployment checks while looking for work and taking care of her mom and going through a divorce from my step-dad. My step-sister literally can't get work to save her life because her work history is terrible. My best friend might have cancer, and has a biopsy scheduled to confirm. In the mean time, she's mainly raising her 3 year old by herself because she's going through a divorce also. So it's been a good and bad trip in some ways.

So everyone is whining about Columbus Day today, either loving it or hating it. And I'm just here celebrating Leif Eriksson day. Which this year just happens to be on the same day as Columbus Day.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leif_Erikson_Day

Because seriously. Why celebrate the pansy Italian who was the SECOND European to discover the Americas (and only found the outer islands, he didn't even step foot on the mainland, loser). Instead, celebrate the badass Viking who was the first European to discover the Americas, 500 years before, and actually step foot on the mainland.

Don't know why we celebrate clean-shaven losers who take second place instead of the manly bearded men who came first, but unlike you, I will drink to the manly Viking explorers of old.

On 10/8/2017 at 1:32 PM, Llamapotamus said:

Effingham, Illinois

I love the name of this place. I heard their food is Effing good.

https://soundcloud.com/bobandtom/the-effing-house-family

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chaosmasterdelta said:

One of my teachers gives out so much homework that I don’t really have time to actually study and it’s affecting my grades in both my classes.

Can relate to this a whole bunch. One of the tutors for my art course keeps giving us essays to write, and it's gotten to the point I feel like I'm writing more than I'm drawing >_< Hopefully they'll calm down on your end soon

Feelin' salty tonight cause I ordered a white pudding instead of a red pudding at the first fish 'n chip shop I've been to in years and what should have been a tasty - if incredibly unhealthy - treat turned into 10+ minutes of me nibbling on garbage and whining about how I wish I had ordered the right thing

• Like 2

It's a lot of fun listening in ignorance to Britons talking about mundane things.

6 hours ago, nightjar said:

Broke up with a boyfriend of 2 years, today, on Friday the 13th. We're still friends. This is potentially the most ominous of all possible outcomes 

Are you alright? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cham said:

Feelin' salty tonight cause I ordered a white pudding instead of a red pudding at the first fish 'n chip shop I've been to in years and what should have been a tasty - if incredibly unhealthy - treat turned into 10+ minutes of me nibbling on garbage and whining about how I wish I had ordered the right thing

Sounds like me when I eat things I dont like the taste of but attempt to eat anyways because I spent money on it

• Like 1

Guess who finally advanced from the Stone Age to the Bronze Age.

After like ten years on XP I've finally upgraded to Windows 7. Also got a 128gb SSD that I put the OS and a few intensive games on.

im already finding tons of shit in win7 that pisses me off

4 hours ago, Victor-933 said:

Guess who finally advanced from the Stone Age to the Bronze Age.

After like ten years on XP I've finally upgraded to Windows 7. Also got a 128gb SSD that I put the OS and a few intensive games on.

im already finding tons of shit in win7 that pisses me off

Unfortunately we'll probably have to move to something else in a few years when support for 7 stops. I refuse to ever go to 10, so I dunno what the fuck I'm going to do other than use Linux, which is not going to support as many things as I want it to.

2 minutes ago, Victor-933 said:

I stuck with XP for over a decade. With how bad 8 and 10 are I'll probably put off upgrading until Windows 23 or some shit this time around.

Only reason I have 8 now is cause my new laptop had it pre-installed. Such a cruel joke.

I miss XP :(

• Like 1

Just now, Victor-933 said:

that didn't stop me from sticking with XP :v

Hell the only reason I even upgraded at all was because I got a major hardware upgrade and needed a 64bit OS to use all 8GB of RAM.

Yeah I'm way too paranoid about security to go without system updates for too long.

Just now, Socketosis said:

Yeah I'm way too paranoid about security to go without system updates for too long.

If your system is obsolete enough, it won't be compatible with malware

59e7fb50e1261_download(3).jpg.2547cf7463c25703fb80dbb10c38de39.jpg

part of why the US nuclear arsenal is still controlled by floppy disks

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Victor-933 said:

True to an extent. Although I wouldn't be surprised if some people in other countries are still targeting XP though.

3 hours ago, Tsuujou said:

Oh wow. Really? That's interesting as fuck.

Part of it is keeping an air gap in control systems (meaning Skynet launching nukes is physically impossible unless some jackass sticks a CAT5 into the side of a missile).

A HUGE part of it is upgrading would be really fucking expensive.

Part of it is "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

And part of it is "nobody fucking even uses 9" floppies anymore so it's not like they can do anything to it anyway."

18 hours ago, Victor-933 said:

Don't copy that floppy (of nuke commands).

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Victor-933 said:

My parents pointed out during the election that Bernie Sanders sounded like the Aardvark from the old cartoon The Ant and the Aardvark and I can't unsee it.

It's Friz Freleng! That's awesome, I've never seen that cartoon.

• Like 1