You know you love your friends....

Red Lion

When you find something delicious (a snack or candy) and you start rationing it out because your first thought is "Wow that's good, X, Y and Z need to have some of this!" and it doesn't occur to you until after you've made plans to save and share that you aren't hoarding your shit all to yourself like a dragon, threatening to breath fire at the first person who asks for a bite. That point where you stop being selfish about even the little things is when you know you value your friends. 

....everyone else can fuck off though. All non-friends who reach for my snack foods will get bit. 

You guys ever just stop over something inconsequential and think "Wow....holy crap I actually like the people in my life enough to want to spread even the smallest of life's little pleasure out to include them". It's a weird feeling. Especially when you're used to being an adamant non-sharer who hates even the idea of giving some undeserving plebeian a morsel of your discount Halloween treats. >8B

Tell me how your friendships have changed your personality!  Did you find yourself suddenly transformed into a nicer person because now there are people in your life and you actually love them somewhere in your cruddy little scab of a heart? Do you find yourself doing things and thinking about how much other people would enjoy it too? Are you compelled to get gifts because you like seeing them cheered up or maybe you just find it endearing when they're surprised by unexpected nice things every now and then?  

Obviously I'm aware that some of you are genuinely very kind people by nature who would give a random stranger the shirt off of your back if you thought they needed it. To you I say...bless you, don't ever change, there aren't nearly enough of you. But for sour hermits like me the feeling of doing something nice BECAUSE YOU LIKE SOMEONE is still enough to make me pause and re-evaluate my self-image a little.

*re-evaluating* Yep, still a grumpy,sarcastic crab-apple. But I'm a grumpy, sarcastic crab-apple who is still capable of whole-heartedly loving people and that makes me a sometimes happy-on-the-inside grumpy, sarcastic crab-apple? Uhhh....I guess that works.  

• Like 3

I think the closest amount of kindness of that sort I've ever had was when I offered to donate my lungs to my closest friend with cystic fibrosis so that maybe someone would benefit from my existence. They declined though.

Or maybe when I feed the birds surrounding the fast food parking lots with bits of what I'm eating.

38 minutes ago, Socketosis said:

I think the closest amount of kindness of that sort I've ever had was when I offered to donate my lungs to my closest friend with cystic fibrosis so that maybe someone would benefit from my existence. They declined though.

Or maybe when I feed the birds surrounding the fast food parking lots with bits of what I'm eating.

I don't know what to say.

I will tell you that sometimes just being a good friend can mean the world to someone. If your company makes anyone even a little happy then they benefit from your existence. 

• Like 1

My friends give me purpose and strength. I would do anything to make sure they are happy and safe.

I've had an okay life and as I grew up I didn't have many friends. When I finally did make friends, I held onto them. My friends aren't just a fling, I try my damnedest to make them life long friends. The friends I've lost, the ones I've made promises to, I'll never forget their names. They make me more determined to protect the ones I still have.

I try to see the best in people, everyone is a potential friend. If there is someone in need I wont turn my back to them. I like to think that I've made a small difference in some peoples lives. By being there for them, listening to them, supporting them when they need it. It can take a toll on myself on occasion, but I regret nothing.

• Like 1

My friends get really good treatment. They get gifts, dinner, lunch, drinks, clothes, jewelry, job interviews, jobs, connections, and all kinds of other stuff. Last week a friend got the flu. I went to the grocery store and bought a bag of fancy bread, soup, and other good stuff to cheer them up and help them get their strength back. Also a bottle of wine to celebrate with once they are feeling better. I've hooked that person up with good illustration jobs in the past. Having someone show up to feed you when you're sick is always nice. A good friend isn't just there for the good times only. That's how you can tell a real friend from someone who is faking it. If the only thing a person ever offers is words I doubt their friendship. A real friend does real things.

• Like 1

You've just endured one of the most miserable experiences in recent memory and want to fucking kill everyone and everything, but immediately lighten up with indescribably intense joy when you check your phone and see a bunch of notifications of messages from some of the people you love the most.

It really is a feeling that is impossible to try and replicate.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, PastryOfApathy said:

You've just endured one of the most miserable experiences in recent memory and want to fucking kill everyone and everything, but immediately lighten up with indescribably intense joy when you check your phone and see a bunch of notifications of messages from some of the people you love the most.

It really is a feeling that is impossible to try and replicate.

Lemme guess, you watched the Presidential Debate?

Feels bad, man.

My friends teach me not to be a hermit and to reach out and share stuff about your self and things you like, because thats what friends do so they can appreciate cool things together

On 10/18/2016 at 5:17 AM, Gator said:

4feb51471861330669002970.jpg?w=335

I love that I understand this meme without words

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

My friends teach me not to be a hermit and to reach out and share stuff about your self and things you like, because thats what friends do so they can appreciate cool things together

Well said. But no one must ever know I want to dress up like a dinosaur and rampage through a lego city I built myself. 

19 hours ago, Sourdough said:

Well said. But no one must ever know I want to dress up like a dinosaur and rampage through a lego city I built myself. 

You can tell me that friend, I would laugh and spend a day on a weird ass stupid project such as that, myself.

Also...dont just say it, man. Do it!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00WI0GEMS/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1477057503&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=lego+city+building+kit&dpPl=1&dpID=61QqqvKvjYL&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00TO6E0T8/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477057536&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=dinosaur+costume

Although Im afraid if cities were truly made out of legos they'd be indestructable to macro stomps so I would suggest you revise you dream to something more of this caliber

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00SI6VEEY/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477057725&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=foam+building+blocks

• Like 1

I feel even closer to a lot of my friends than I do my own family. I even get sad and restless and self-destructive if I don't spend enough time with people I consider to be close friends, especially people that live close to me. Not because I like them better or anything, but just because socializing and human contact are things that I really need to be happy. 

I'm also a super lucky pup to have made friends with some of the most wonderful people I could ask to know, both offline and online. It really is a special thing how many people I know that I can genuinely tell them that I love them, and they'd probably tell me the same. I wish there were enough hours in the day to give all the attention that I feel like those people deserve <3

• Like 2

Closest I do is when I have fancy alcohol I want people to try it. But I'm a grumpy bitch the next morning when my good stuff is all gone. I keep the grump internal though.

I don't have a lot of friends, and the few I do have moved a few states away. I'm all alone with some online chums and Skype. We don't send gifts or anything, though yesterday I had a poetry off with one that was fucking terrible. So sharing terrible was a thing we did together.

I'm kind of an emotional ... void? I don't get lovey dovey or feel the need to just send stuff because that sounds like a fine gesture. I dunno why. Drove my ex nuts. It'll occur to me on a superficial level, like "oh man if this were a rom com I'd probably buy you flowers or something" but then I shrug because life isn't a rom com and I don't want to buy flowers. :P