Nintendo Switch

TrishaCat

Wow, you know it's going to be big when even Amazon isn't letting you preorder due to stock. They've always been the ones to let you sit on a pre-order list without regards to stock, in my experience. Granted, it's been a long time since I last did that, so maybe their policy changed. Either way, I've decided I'm interested enough to do the preorder thing again, when it comes back in stock. I will NOT be camping out or hopping from store to store looking for one on opening day, tho.

On 1/19/2017 at 5:34 PM, Shiro said:

Getting a switch just for BoTW. Worth it.

So far the lineup this year has a nice handful of stuff I don't really want to be late on. Even if the launch is a shitty joke. 
Also Dry Bones is in Mario Kart DX. 
Bought.

As salty as I am about the Wii U being replaced (because I really am a fan of the Wii U and the games I've got on it), I'm ready to move on from the 3DS. It just feels really antiquated at this point, compared to what the Switch can do as a handheld. I wonder if Nintendo is going to make a successor to its handheld line up? I know the Switch seems like an upgrade for both the Wii U and 3DS, but there's probably still a market for a dedicated handheld.

17 hours ago, SirRob said:

As salty as I am about the Wii U being replaced (because I really am a fan of the Wii U and the games I've got on it), I'm ready to move on from the 3DS. It just feels really antiquated at this point, compared to what the Switch can do as a handheld. I wonder if Nintendo is going to make a successor to its handheld line up? I know the Switch seems like an upgrade for both the Wii U and 3DS, but there's probably still a market for a dedicated handheld.

Personally, I would love a dual-screen smartphone. Especially if it managed to be as compact as the original 3DS.

And played Nintendo games.

On 1/20/2017 at 1:54 PM, SirRob said:

I wish this man good luck in his endeavors, although I have my doubts that the HD Rumble will be all that special.

I'm excited for the new Bomberman game, especially since the one I had on my Wii no longer supported GameCube controllers for 8-player once I transferred all my data to my Wii U (and you can't pick and choose what to carry over, sadly).

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Tsuujou said:

Apparently online pricing is $20-30.

Yep, https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/02/getting-online-with-nintendo-switch-will-cost-less-than-half-of-rivals-fees/

and there is a confirmed interest in VR by them. Now if only Amazon.com would hurry up and let me pre-order it...

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like what I heard about the Switch's power consumption.
It's been known for a while now that you can play for about three hours from a full charge. Which isn't really my problem.

What I don't like is that to charge the damn thing you actually need a ton of power. More power than a regular phone charger will supply.
I have two pretty beastly chargers (by phone standards). One regular wall charger and a 16.000 mAh powerbank. They both support Chick Charge 3.
Neither of them delivers enough power to actually charge the Switch while using it. It uses power faster than my chargers can deliver it.

When I heard that the Switch uses a USB-C port I figured it would work perfectly with my powerbank. Well, I guess not...
The power supply that comes with the Switch delivers 12V at 2.4A. Almost no phone charger comes close to that and I have never seen a powerbank that delivers that much juice.
If you use a cheap 1A phone charger apparently it takes like 8 hours to fully charge the Switch... 2 hours with the Nintendo charger.
The Nintendo charger is also capable of charging the console while you use it.

Another issue that I see is how long the battery will actually survive.
If battery life isn't great and if charging it on the go really is an issue to me that means that almost all Switchs will constantly be completely drained.
That kills lithium batteries... And the battery can't easily be replaced. Which means if your battery breaks after the warranty period you no longer have a portable console.

8 minutes ago, Käpt'n said:

It's been known for a while now that you can play for about three hours from a full charge. Which isn't really my problem.

What I don't like is that to charge the damn thing you actually need a ton of power. More power than a regular phone charger will supply.
I have two pretty beastly chargers (by phone standards). One regular wall charger and a 16.000 mAh powerbank. They both support Chick Charge 3.
Neither of them delivers enough power to actually charge the Switch while using it. It uses power faster than my chargers can deliver it.

When I heard that the Switch uses a USB-C port I figured it would work perfectly with my powerbank. Well, I guess not...
The power supply that comes with the Switch delivers 12V at 2.4A. Almost no phone charger comes close to that and I have never seen a powerbank that delivers that much juice.
If you use a cheap 1A phone charger apparently it takes like 8 hours to fully charge the Switch... 2 hours with the Nintendo charger.

If battery life isn't great and if charging it on the go really is an issue to me that means that almost all Switchs will constantly be completely drained.
That kills lithium batteries... And the battery can't easily be replaced. Which means if your battery breaks after the warranty period you no longer have a portable console.

Would you have a comparison for the Switch vs. the 3DS or Wii U in terms of power consumption?

18 minutes ago, Käpt'n said:

You sound like a nerd.

29 minutes ago, SirRob said:

Would you have a comparison for the Switch vs. the 3DS or Wii U in terms of power consumption?

No :3

All I know is the 3DS can easily be powered through a powerbank because it isn't very powerful at all.
And the Wii U is a stationary console so it probably needs more power than the Switch.

19 minutes ago, Toshabi said:

You sound like a nerd.

That's me!

1 hour ago, Käpt'n said:

All I know is the 3DS can easily be powered through a powerbank because it isn't very powerful at all.
And the Wii U is a stationary console so it probably needs more power than the Switch.

I see, makes sense! I've only ever used the chargers provided by Nintendo, so I have no experience with using alternative chargers.

2 hours ago, Käpt'n said:

That's me!

Well nerd where are your sources? Cause all the nerds I know have sources and Toshabi found nothing on what you are going on about like a big fat nerd.

55 minutes ago, Tsuujou said:

I prefer the cutesy military theme of Advance Wars, but idk. This is basically Advance Wars. Thank god someone remembers it because Nintendo sure doesn't. :c

Metroid joined that corner of Nintendo neglect. 30 years and not even a mention.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Toshabi said:

Metroid joined that corner of Nintendo neglect. 30 years and not even a mention.

And just remember: If you do something to celebrate it, they're gonna DMCA your ass.

Good ol' Ninty.
"I can't believe no one liked my Samus x self insert fanfic! I'm putting all my toys away so NONE OF YOU can play with them!"