Nintendo Switch

TrishaCat

1 minute ago, Faust said:

I'm confused as to why this is a disagreement. Fable 3 isn't an early game - I'm talking about Commodore Amiga and maybe even ZX Spectrum magazines here - and the example you're quoting isn't one described as mediocre yet scored in the mid-70's, but one that was described as good-to-excellent and received decent scores. There doesn't seem to be any overlap between your example and my point?

When you refer to early, I assumed the Nintendo power-Gamepro days which had issues with mis-scoring bad games as either good, or decent/average games as terrible.

@Zeke Fair do's. For the record, I quite enjoyed Fable 3 - though I wouldn't rate it higher than about 75% ironically - and if memory serves it was a very divisive game. Some people loved it, some people hated it. I thought it was acceptable.

6 hours ago, Faust said:

@Zeke Fair do's. For the record, I quite enjoyed Fable 3 - though I wouldn't rate it higher than about 75% ironically - and if memory serves it was a very divisive game. Some people loved it, some people hated it. I thought it was acceptable.

I own almost all of them and I think it's okay. It has its problems, and I think someone should've duct taped Peter's mouth shut.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2017 at 2:43 PM, Vae said:

Weapon durability systems are only acceptable to me if they're done in a way that makes actual sense.
A sword should not break on an enemy made of soft flesh, wearing nothing. A bow should not break unless you're using it to melee something.

If you're going to include them, make it solely for armored enemies. The more armored, the more damage is done to your weapon.
Force the player to find more creative solutions than whacking that enemy more. Find a weak spot. Throw bombs. Collapse a roof or use other environmental elements to your advantage.

It's not like we don't have the technology for this in today's gaming world, either. I'm pretty goddamn certain we do.

Otherwise, just don't include durability systems. They're dumb, and annoying. Just like inventory weight management systems.
It's a video game anyway. It shouldn't feel like a chore.

...that doesnt make sense

especially since things NATURALLY wear down from JUST usage, this is why you have to resharpen knives every so often even if all you use for said knife is to cut meat as it is taking a toll on that knife.

Its why games that do durability makes it that you can still use it, its just not as efficient as it use to be at its best and you can fix the weapon to have it BACK at its best...
A system where it shatters once its durability hit 0 makes no sense, a system that where instead of 10 damage it only does 4 or 5 damage at 0 durability makes more sense.

6 hours ago, Deskai said:

...that doesnt make sense

especially since things NATURALLY wear down from JUST usage, this is why you have to resharpen knives every so often even if all you use for said knife is to cut meat as it is taking a toll on that knife.

Its why games that do durability makes it that you can still use it, its just not as efficient as it use to be at its best and you can fix the weapon to have it BACK at its best...
A system where it shatters once its durability hit 0 makes no sense, a system that where instead of 10 damage it only does 4 or 5 damage at 0 durability makes more sense.

We're talking about things breaking, not effectiveness, so it does very much make sense.
A weapon being dull does not mean it's broken. It just means it's dull.
In BOTW, your swords and axes and whatever just shatter into a million pieces when you hit things too much. Regardless of what said things are.

Also I stand by my previous statement that video games do not need to have all the annoyances of real life in them.
If it feels like a chore, it's just gonna make me not want to play your game. Period.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vae said:

We're talking about things breaking, not effectiveness, so it does very much make sense.
A weapon being dull does not mean it's broken. It just means it's dull.
In BOTW, your swords and axes and whatever just shatter into a million pieces when you hit things too much. Regardless of what said things are.

Also I stand by my previous statement that video games do not need to have all the annoyances of real life in them.
If it feels like a chore, it's just gonna make me not want to play your game. Period.

Agreed.

A viewpoint of weapon durability in Zelda is that it's done to force the player to use everything in the world rather than get comfortable with a small few and experience nothing else in the game. Thus "variety". It's actually kinda understandable, but this presents some problems, I think. I actually find the system to throw me into a lot of dilemmas. For starters, I find all this does is limit variety. Because when you find rare, cool shit that's just as weak, or in the case of the Royal Guard series, weaker than other weapons, you don't want to use it. You hold onto it waiting for an "appropriate" time to draw them when the appropriate time should be any time I damn well please after I found it. And then you suddenly hear Matthew's words in your head...

a8247e276b2798c7b6ea275462e8e1c8.png

...Which is exactly what happens. So how is it variety when the game forces me to be fearful of using weapons I like because I know it will be short lived? (The Master Sword is exempt for me. I actually think that it's rather fair.) You might say "oh well the game lets you get anything anytime you want so they have to balance it somehow". Then that's an issue with the game's highly open ended structure, probably? The Hylian Shield breaks in this game. In the more linear Skyward Sword, shields also break. But the Hylian shield was indestructible and not "it's durability outshines all other shields". This was balanced because you had to complete a specific late game task rather than just...finding it in a chest whenever you wanted. Open world Zelda is cool, but personally I feel sometimes you can have too much freedom in a game.
One last thing. Speaking of chests, because I know a weapon will just break in 10 swipes, I don't give a fuck when I get a weapon in a chest making exploration unrewarding. Then when it does break, I gotta take myself out of the action, go into my cluttered menus or awkward quick menus, go through my weapons, decide what I want to use and then have that one break on me. And depending on what I'm fighting or how many of them there are, this can happen up to 4-6 different times. It just destroys combat flow.

41 minutes ago, Tsuujou said:

Agreed.

A viewpoint of weapon durability in Zelda is that it's done to force the player to use everything in the world rather than get comfortable with a small few and experience nothing else in the game. Thus "variety". It's actually kinda understandable, but this presents some problems, I think. I actually find the system to throw me into a lot of dilemmas. For starters, I find all this does is limit variety. Because when you find rare, cool shit that's just as weak, or in the case of the Royal Guard series, weaker than other weapons, you don't want to use it. You hold onto it waiting for an "appropriate" time to draw them when the appropriate time should be any time I damn well please after I found it. And then you suddenly hear Matthew's words in your head...

a8247e276b2798c7b6ea275462e8e1c8.png

...Which is exactly what happens. So how is it variety when the game forces me to be fearful of using weapons I like because I know it will be short lived? (The Master Sword is exempt for me. I actually think that it's rather fair.) You might say "oh well the game lets you get anything anytime you want so they have to balance it somehow". Then that's an issue with the game's highly open ended structure, probably? The Hylian Shield breaks in this game. In the more linear Skyward Sword, shields also break. But the Hylian shield was indestructible and not "it's durability outshines all other shields". This was balanced because you had to complete a specific late game task rather than just...finding it in a chest whenever you wanted. Open world Zelda is cool, but personally I feel sometimes you can have too much freedom in a game.
One last thing. Speaking of chests, because I know a weapon will just break in 10 swipes, I don't give a fuck when I get a weapon in a chest making exploration unrewarding. Then when it does break, I gotta take myself out of the action, go into my cluttered menus or awkward quick menus, go through my weapons, decide what I want to use and then have that one break on me. And depending on what I'm fighting or how many of them there are, this can happen up to 4-6 different times. It just destroys combat flow.

That was a big issue I read about, yeah.
Finding new and cool and unique weapons was reduced from "Man, I can't wait to play around with this"
to "Man, I better save this and pay for a new wall mount in my house so I don't lose it forever."

They were trying new things with this Zelda and I can admire that. A lot.
Hell, I love that they don't even give you the classic green gear in this one. You can only get that through amiibo, on chance, and the "hero's garb" in this one was some bright blue outfit you weren't forced to wear by any means. Mix and match that shit.

But it's a Zelda. Finding new tools should fill you with excitement, not anxiety,
and I feel like they missed the mark on that in a really big way.

1 hour ago, Tsuujou said:

.................................w-what

Afaik, the only way to get the classic green outfits (from various versions of the game) is via certain amiibo,
but there's only a chance to get them.

http://orcz.com/Breath_of_the_Wild:_Amiibo_Items

Thankfully, you can rescan them every 24 hours or just save scum for what you want.

17 minutes ago, Vae said:

Afaik, the only way to get the classic green outfits (from various versions of the game) is via certain amiibo,
but there's only a chance to get them.

http://orcz.com/Breath_of_the_Wild:_Amiibo_Items

Thankfully, you can rescan them every 24 hours or just save scum for what you want.

I knew you could get them through Amiibos, but I didn't know that was the only way. I was looking all over and it's basically DLC. :/

its completely understandable about the durability system, its why in my own post I pointed out "Nintendo did a bad system when everyone else does "it does less damage and you can still keep it"

BUT
that just goes away when you have the problem of "toss the old shit anyway" cause its weak

unless you are my friend whom seem to made ALL his weapons just be 'rangs, even having the Giant Boomerang while wearing the full barbarian set

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I read that Skyrim is supposedly coming out later for it. I wonder if nintendo being nintendo,whether the finishing moves in skyrim will carry over to the Nintendo switch version. Cause i have read about Nintendo changing parts of games that are not pg. Like i have played the pc version of maniac mansion and found many differences from the NES version. I have skyrim on my xbox 360

5 hours ago, axelthefox said:

I read that Skyrim is supposedly coming out later for it. I wonder if nintendo being nintendo,whether the finishing moves in skyrim will carry over to the Nintendo switch version. Cause i have read about Nintendo changing parts of games that are not pg. Like i have played the pc version of maniac mansion and found many differences from the NES version. I have skyrim on my xbox 360

The NES is from an age loooong bygone. Nintendo has had a good range of M rated content with little to no censorship in the last 20 years. I think if Nintendo not only funded the development of (and has exclusivity to) Bayonetta 2, but also put the protagonist in their kid friendly fighting game, Skyrim should be just fine. If anything, it's localization in Japan might face some changes if it's getting released there at all. But I honestly, highly doubt Skyrim is about to get whatever teeth it had stripped away.

• Like 1

Skyrim will likely be fine as Nintendo generally doesn't require 3rd party titles be censored, but I would never dare say that Nintendo does little to no censorship these days considering:

• Fire Emblem Awakening
  • Fire Emblem Fates
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X
  • Fatal Frame: The Maiden of Black Water
  • Bravely Default
  • Bravely Second

The fact that Bayonetta 2 turned out the way it did is a miracle, and I am convinced that Kamiya or someone at PlatinumGames wasn't letting them change the game, rather than it being a case of Nintendo feeling that there wasn't any reason to censor it. Though even disregarding Skyrim being a 3rd party title, Nintendo generally censors sexual content, with which Skyrim has very little

57 minutes ago, Battlechili said:

Skyrim will likely be fine as Nintendo generally doesn't require 3rd party titles be censored, but I would never dare say that Nintendo does little to no censorship these days considering:

• Fire Emblem Awakening
  • Fire Emblem Fates
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X
  • Fatal Frame: The Maiden of Black Water
  • Bravely Default
  • Bravely Second

The fact that Bayonetta 2 turned out the way it did is a miracle, and I am convinced that Kamiya or someone at PlatinumGames wasn't letting them change the game, rather than it being a case of Nintendo feeling that there wasn't any reason to censor it. Though even disregarding Skyrim being a 3rd party title, Nintendo generally censors sexual content, with which Skyrim has very little

This has been a thing since games became an international thing and happens constantly. For some reason, people latch onto specific pieces of "censorship" though when it's really nothing different from any other case. Nintendo's far from the only publishers who do it and far from the most frequent it's just that these days we can see it clearly and pick and choose what should and shouldn't be censored. When a game is localized, depending on the rating, things are adjusted to fit the culture of the region it's being shipped to avoid controversy, stepping over legal bounds, etc. So things like little girls in sexual attire in an E-T rated game is absolutely not a good idea to have in the western market since we shun that nonsense here. 
Bayonetta is M rated with pretty run of the mill mature themes no different from things like Bulletstorm and is not at all Nintendo's property. I'm not surprised they didn't force Sega's hand in that matter.

I remember when it used to really dip into gameplay like games being made easier for western audiences. R-Type 2 being an instance I can recall. Damn, the JP version was brutal. haha

• Like 1

My experience with the Switch is that; It's quite nice, for a handheld. As  console, It's quite bad. But as a handheld, it's very good. If anything, it may set a new standard for handheld gaming.
It's as light as a Nintendo 3DS, if not lighter, and can play even better games. I do wonder if Nintedno will use the switch for their future of handheld gaming. I wouldn't mind that.

Also for Skyrim on Switch... It will be on Switch, of course. I doubt it will be changed...
But either way, Skyrim really isn't worth buying on anything but PC. Unmodded Skyrim is comparable to unmodded Minecraft. Being that it's total trash, and nothing without the mods.
I think PS4 Skyrim has some mods recently, but it's still not comparable to PC. Just don't take notice of Skyrim's existence unless it's on PC. Not even worth an argument :v

Oh hey, look. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-04-19-sources-nintendo-to-launch-snes-mini-this-year
Another one of these things Nintendo can intentionally understock to feign demand and have shitty licensing that forces another discontinuation in 3 months causing a big media stir for something that was in actuality a shitty deal in the first place. 

Wonder when their console is going to get it's VC support like it should have had in it's first month.

24 minutes ago, Imperial Impact said:

That's nice and all but you can dye the champion tunic to green.

That's nice and all but I was talking about the garments in their default colors.
Which I thought was obvious. But eh.

• 2 weeks later...

I love Breath of the Wild but the content of the DLC pack 1 is 90% QoL features that should have been added via patch.

Now I'm starting to regret paying too soon. Hoping pack 2 is worth, you know, 15 of the 20 dollars at least.

I'm probably too late to reply to the censorship post back then but the Bravely games' censorship was done by Square-Enix itself. Not Nintendo.

50 minutes ago, Lopaw said:

The rayman fans are only going to feel more anguish at the fact this crossover game is a thing that's happening.

Not really. Raving Rabbids became it's own series years ago. They have nothing to do with Rayman anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lopaw said:

The rayman fans are only going to feel more anguish at the fact this crossover game is a thing that's happening.

Why would rayman fans get angry when they were the same ones that dislike the rabbids? why do you think they went off into their own series, I mean sure the rabbids are part of the rayman universe but they have their own games now as an offshoot.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...