Videogame Creations

Victor-933

Brag about shit you've made in or for videogames. Maps, sounds, models, skins, etc. etc.

I used to do a lot of mapping for Half-Life 1... and when I say "a lot" I mean "a lot" -- all the 3D artwork in my gallery is me abusing Hammer and Half-Life and using them as a subpar 3D art program. Most of it was never released or even shown to other people though.

My last release was a map named DM_Enpro, a cramped and gloomy map set in a futuristic atmospheric processing plant, with lots of dark and claustrophobic maintenance crawlspaces. I recently reopened the old RMF (editable map filetype) and was mucking about, and I was surprised by the amount of work and attention to detail I'd put into it. Every intersection or interesting doodad in the crawlspaces was labeled with a unique sign that was largely meaningless but still had an air of purpose to it ("JUNCTION 7-21R", "ACCESS 7-16A", "SVCPANEL 7-75L") and I'd modified a couple stock sprites to make steam jets or water dripping from pipes.

Two scrolling text billboards had announcements for the area's fictional employees and referenced things in the map, while the mess hall had a full and readable menu. Through the mess hall windows could be seen a raging thunderstorm pouring torrential rain over a much larger, inaccessible part of the facility, all of it cramped and built onto itself to give the impression that it was not only massive but had been there for a long time; all the signs and hazard stripes had noticeable aging and wear on them, too.

I was never very good at drawing my own textures from scratch, so I most often just hacked together existing textures other people had made -- thankfully the vast majority of the community were pretty open and eager to share their textures.

enpro_nostorm_a0000.jpgenpro_nostorm_a0001.jpgenpro_nostorm_a0002.jpgenpro_nostorm_a0003.jpgenpro_nostorm_a0004.jpgenpro_nostorm_a0005.jpg

• Like 3

I started on another map. Same setting as DM_Enpro; different part of the facility though. Centered around a "Uniform Mass Airflow Deionizer" -- I wanted to work "UMAD" into it somehow because I'm a fucking autistic piece of nerd shit.

1j5wwJd.jpg

People only care about the rules when they think the boss will see it.

1zHj8BK.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LadyRadarEars said:

I used to make sprites for space station 13

I too am a sprite worker! I make a lot of custom Ace Attorney sprites, mostly.

I've made one (terrible) fan case for Ace Attorney, and I eventually want to right more =w=

I also made this.

• Like 1

Just now, FenrirDarkWolf said:

I too am a sprite worker! I make a lot of custom Ace Attorney sprites, mostly.

I've made one (terrible) fan case for Ace Attorney, and I eventually want to right more =w=

Mostly I just did icon work for UI and stuff for the servers I used to play on x3

• Like 1

I used to do a little modding for Age of Mythology and Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds, though I mostly worked on maps, scenarios, and campaigns through the in game utilities of both games. I think my most extensive was a D-Day style campaign I made in Battlegrounds, with a Republic beach landing against the Empire (the game allowed for mixing of eras) and subsequent battles as they pushed further inland...

I don't think I have anything left to show of it, however, as the files were lost in a hard drive crash years ago, and the fan sites that hosted them are long gone too.

14 hours ago, LadyRadarEars said:

I used to make sprites for space station 13 and dabbled in spriting/modding for tiberian sun, and right now I'm working on mods for Europa Universalis 4, but that's about it. Most of it I don't have anymore ._.

May I inquire as to the nature of this mod?

3 hours ago, Osrik said:

I used to do a little modding for Age of Mythology and Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds, though I mostly worked on maps, scenarios, and campaigns through the in game utilities of both games. I think my most extensive was a D-Day style campaign I made in Battlegrounds, with a Republic beach landing against the Empire (the game allowed for mixing of eras) and subsequent battles as they pushed further inland...

I don't think I have anything left to show of it, however, as the files were lost in a hard drive crash years ago, and the fan sites that hosted them are long gone too.

May I inquire as to the nature of this mod?

Its a silly one involving a fantasy take on the real life person known as the 'Werewolf Prince of Polotsk', and involves culture/religion flips and an increasingly destabilized europe in the face of, well, werewolves everywhere.

:3

Gee, I sure do love it when Hammer crashes right as I save and corrupts the file.

Thankfully Hammer does this weird redundant save thing where it saves both the newer RMF format and the older MAP format -- unfortunately MAP doesn't support grouping, so shit just got really messy...

When I used to play minecraft a lot I built in creative (to prove it was possible) a large machine made from redpower 2 frames and blocks that could move in all directions, it was able to mine an entire chunk (16x16 area of the world) and store everything on board with a ability to offload all those blocks to my base.

It was controlled by a program running on a computercraft computer that let me move it backwards, forwards, left and right in 16 block increments and up and down in 1 block increments. 

It also had headlights, high beams, a horn and a handbrake to make sure I couldn't move it unless certain I wanted to.

The OS for it was the most complex program I have ever written. I can't get to the code easily as I got permabanned from the forum I put it on and don't want to dig in all those old worlds for it. (I was more of a dick back then and being perceived as a furry on a site obsessed with dinosaurs and games with dinosaurs in didn't help)

The other thing I made a lot where railcraft based railways with many fancy bridges and landscaping to keep the line flat as possible (one bridge even had C&C style bridge repair huts ) 

My most complex railway had working signaling jury rigged to work like the real system in the UK plus a working signal box at one junction.

• Like 1

I decided to make a few aesthetic changes to my in-progress map. It's now set in Sector 6 Power Production. Instead of the UMAD it's now the HARAMBE (HR would like to remind all employees that indecent exposure in reverence of the HARAMBE core is considered sexual harassment and grounds for immediate termination) -- Hydrogenous Anion Reduction Antimatter Metabolic Beryllium Engine.

No, I will not apologize.

enpro_inside0000.jpg

This actually has some really nice effects but it's a pain in the ass to capture them in a screenshot.

I abused the power of env_beam entities (creates a laser beam between two defined points, can be given a noise value to make them jolt about like lightning) and a shitload of targets they can pick from at random. The end result is an impressive energy arc effect.

In addition, Half-Life 1's lighting (and the vast majority of HL2's, for that matter) is calculated at compile, and moving/rotating entities don't update their lighting when they move, meaning for example a train that started out in a room with a red light would still be glowing red if it drove into a room with a blue light. I used that to put pulsating lights on a central rotating doohickey on the core.

enpro_inside0001.jpg

enpro_inside0002.jpg

enpro_inside0003.jpg

On 11/4/2016 at 0:51 AM, Victor-933 said:

I decided to make a few aesthetic changes to my in-progress map. It's now set in Sector 6 Power Production. Instead of the UMAD it's now the HARAMBE (HR would like to remind all employees that indecent exposure in reverence of the HARAMBE core is considered sexual harassment and grounds for immediate termination) -- Hydrogenous Anion Reduction Antimatter Metabolic Beryllium Engine.

No, I will not apologize.

You should have a weapon called the D.I.C.K.S.

I decided to remake about 90% of that map in order to incorporate a better layout. I'm glad I did, because I now have rspeeds down below 1000wpoly across the entire map.

"In English, motherfucker."

Rspeeds is an in game metric (r_speeds 1 in the console) that shows how many polygons the game is rendering in that exact frame, as well as frame rate. There are two measurements, Epoly and Wpoly. Epoly is models like guns and items and has no impact on framerate. Wpoly is the map itself, and anything over 1000 polygons per frame is considered excessive. I usually don't give a fuck and blow past 1000 anyway but this time I decided I'd try and stick with that limit.

The layout of a map has some of the largest impact on wpoly because of the way the game handles "occlusion culling", a technique where the engine doesn't render what it thinks you can't see, so that it doesn't waste processor power rendering crap that isn't even visible. The console command "gl_wireframe 2" is a great way to visualize occlusion culling.

shame I wasn't doing all this back in 1999 when it still mattered though

im so ronery, so ronery, so ronery and sadry arone

time to show off the rest of the map. As I said before I nuked nearly everything and started new; the only thing I kept was the actual HARAMBE itself. (no, stop. put those away.)

In general it follows a pretty simple layout:

Screenshot_2016-11-11-11-27-18.png

The main area is a rough loop with a single entrance into the core, through a very loud door that's bound to attract attention. There are four entrances to the maintenance passageways spread around the loop's edge. The passageways themselves also follow a rough loop, with a few contortions and branch paths, one of which leads to a second entrance to the core that is guarded by a slight jumping puzzle (jump from the crawlspace to a pipe to the catwalk, and then back if necessary; the main door can't be opened from within the core). Inside the core itself is the Gluon Gun, hence the 'security'.

harambe20002.jpgharambe20001.jpgharambe20000.jpgharambe20003.jpgharambe20004.jpgharambe20005.jpg

2 minutes ago, Victor-933 said:

im so ronery, so ronery, so ronery and sadry arone

I enjoy reading about your mod, please continue to do it.

central europe.png

Here's a screenshot of my Cold War in Europe mod. This is supposed to be Central/Northern Europe. I didn't make the map itself, but I've been putting down cities. As you can see, I've put down Belgium/Luxembourg, The Netherlands, West Germany, East Germany, and Denmark. There's also France, Switzerland, Czechoslovakia, Austria, and Poland but they aren't fully mapped. You can also barely see the borders of the UK, Sweden, and the USSR.

1 hour ago, Kosha said:

I enjoy reading about your mod, please continue to do it.

central europe.png

Here's a screenshot of my Cold War in Europe mod. This is supposed to be Central/Northern Europe. I didn't make the map itself, but I've been putting down cities. As you can see, I've put down Belgium/Luxembourg, The Netherlands, West Germany, East Germany, and Denmark. There's also France, Switzerland, Czechoslovakia, Austria, and Poland but they aren't fully mapped. You can also barely see the borders of the UK, Sweden, and the USSR.

Neat stuff.

My posts aren't an actual mod, just a deathmatch map. Maybe by the time HL3 comes out I'll have graduated to making mods for a then-forty year old-game :V

I may eventually do an entire series of maps though, if things keep going the way they have been. In DM_Enpro I made and used this texture for a sort of transit map:

enpro_transmap2.jpg

I have a hard-on for minimalist computer interfaces, it seems.

DM_Enpro, showcased in the OP, was Sector 7; DM_Harambe is Sector 6. DM_Achluophobia, another map in similar style that I haven't shared here yet, could probably be considered part of it (Hydroponics, even though it's labeled Sector 9 since that map didn't exist yet...)

• Like 1

Texture usage is at 3.93 mb (of 4.00 mb MAX)

Cutting it pretty damn close... 4MB is the absolute limit; any higher and the map fails to compile:

Error: Exceeded MAX_MAP_MIPTEX
Description: Texture memory usage on the map has exceeded the limit
Howto Fix: Merge similar textures, remove unused textures from the map

Decided to drop the insipid memefaggotry and change "HARAMBE" to something else. Item placement is just about complete, as are player starts. This map is almost ready to release.

dm_fenrir0001.jpg

The top right is an overview of the main level where most of the action takes place, while the bottom right is the layout of the maintenance tunnels; the inset is both combined -- as I said before, pretty simple layout. I added a fifth access hatch, and widened all of the access hatches and automated their opening so it's a lot easier to pop in and out of them; in bot testing I've found it adds an interesting element of surprise, allowing players to leap out of one access hatch, nuke a motherfucker or two, and then disappear back into the crawlspaces to escape.

So this map has several scrolling messageboard monitor things scattered around it, purely for decoration. I decided to use the same effect I used in DM_Achluophobia to add scanlines to these monitors (even though it's silly for far-future flat-panel screens to have scanlines -- but fuck off, Rule of Cool).

It's simply an alpha texture right in front of the scrolling texture: {scanlines.gif

In Half-Life, textures have certain markers in their name that determine how they behave ingame, such as animating textures (e.g. +0button, +Abutton, for a texture that changes when you 'push' the button, or +0blinkyshit, +1blinkyshit, +2blinkyshit for a series of blinking lights, etc.), a series of textures that randomly tile variants of eachother (e.g. -0bricks, -1bricks, etc. with small variations in each texture that are randomly applied across the surface, rather than having one huge texture), or textures with selective transparency (e.g. {fence, for a transparent chain link fence texture). In the latter's case, when set up correctly and applied a certain way in the editor, sections of the texture using the #0000FF color (pure blue) are transparent ingame, allowing for metal grating or fences, for example.

The way I've used it, though, creates a much more complex ingame effect:

dm_fenrir0008.jpg

This map is also very close to being finished. Once I finally decide to quit fucking with it I'll be putting it up on Gamebanana.

• Like 1

Made different textures for the door control panels.

doorpanels.gif

Hacked together out of the old door panel texture, which itself was bastardized out of someone else's texture. At this point , with the amount of effort I've put into it, I could almost have just made the whole damn thing myself. Wouldn't look as good though because I still can't into fine texture details very well...

the hex codes translate to "dicks" "fucker" and "faggot" respectively because I'm such a shining paragon of maturity

• Like 1

I'm pretty much done mapping Europe for my mod. All I need to do, mapwise, is add Military installations and put more rebels on the map.

The British Isles:

british_isles.png

Central Europe:

central_europe_deus.png

Iberia:

iberia.png

The Middle East:

middle_east.png

Scandanavia:

scandanavia.png

I've decided for game mechanics, I'd have the main victory condition under Victory points; if you have Military installations and strategic resources secured by military units, you will gain Victory points every turn. I would have used a different Victory condition, but the USSR kept instantly winning. I also might have a couple mechanics based around espionage and staying at peace.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kosha said:

I would have used a different Victory condition, but the USSR kept instantly winning

Pretty realistic, then -- IIRC Europe was basically considered unconditionally fucked in the event the Cold War got hot and the entire European military buildup was basically meant to conduct holding actions until American reinforcements could arrive.

Also.

1 hour ago, Victor-933 said:

Made different textures for the door control panels.

doorpanels.gif

Hacked together out of the old door panel texture, which itself was bastardized out of someone else's texture. At this point , with the amount of effort I've put into it, I could almost have just made the whole damn thing myself. Wouldn't look as good though because I still can't into fine texture details very well...

the hex codes translate to "dicks" "fucker" and "faggot" respectively because I'm such a shining paragon of maturity

Of course right after posting this I go and prove myself wrong by making a much better texture. It seems I have some kind of fetish for antiquated computers -- monochrome monitors and monospaced fonts are apparently still in widespread use centuries from now

doorpanels2.gif

Since there's a lot more hex code in this one (enough for 16 alphanumeric characters) I went with "fucking nerd"... I can't see anyone bothering to actually translate this shit considering the low resolution but I'd love to see their face if they did and they see that staring back at them...

Working on a new map!

The Undervaults

dun dun duuuuunnnnnnn

A very dungeony, steampunky, grimy, gloomy, and industrial map featuring three distinct areas: a pair of very large boilers, a cistern-kinda thing, and a large room with a smaller boiler in it.

undervault0010.jpg

undervault0012.jpg

undervault0013.jpg

Changed that map's name to Firedamp.

Firedamp is flammable gas found in coal mines. It is the name given to a number of flammable gases, especially methane. It is particularly found in areas where the coal is bituminous. The gas accumulates in pockets in the coal and adjacent strata, and when they are penetrated, the release can trigger explosions.

It's also been finished and released. Get it on Gamebanana

2016-12-04_00003.jpg

That is quite amazing work you've done there with your maps. I'm actually trying to design a short horror game in the Unreal engine right now. I'm needing to get my own models though. I'm mostly just trying to get textures from other games and mod them for usage. But none the less great job with what you've got so far. I'll try to post something when I'm at a stage I think is worth posting lol.

• Like 1

And ANOTHER map is in the works... I decided with this one I'd go to my favorite mapping exercises -- zero custom content. No custom textures, no custom sounds, no custom sprites, only preexisting, stock assets. What ended up happening is a map heavily inspired by the "Power Struggle" chapter at the end of Half-Lifr: Blue Shift.

Screenshot_2016-12-08-13-10-59.png

Screenshot_2016-12-08-13-11-25.png

Screenshot_2016-12-08-13-11-39.png

Screenshot_2016-12-08-13-11-51.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

FJJ5OiZ.gif

Weird decorative doodad in a new map I'm working on.

I actually had to do some really weird shit to get that doodad to work. The arm was really simple, it's just a func_door_rotating. (Func_door_rotating rotates on a defined axis a specific number of degrees, then returns to its original orientation, like a hinged door)

I tried just using a func_rotating (brush entity that rotates continually on a defined axis; used for the fan effect), but they have this bullshit deceleration effect that I can't get rid of, and I couldn't make it reliably stop precisely every 90 degrees...

So, instead, I have two entities there: a func_door_rotating that moves 90 degrees, and a func_wall_toggle. (func_wall_toggle is a solid object whose existence can be toggled -- both visibility and collision)

The instant the 'door' is open, it is set invisible, and simultaneously the wall_toggle becomes visible. During the arm's 'cycle' the invisible 'door' resets, then the two entities trade places again...

...yeah, welcome to GoldSrc mapping.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2017 at 8:24 PM, Victor-933 said:

That other map is done, so now I'm working on YET ANOTHER new map.

jWsDk0t.jpg

HEAVILY inspired by Caverns 1 from Doom 3.

I made a bunch of textures for this map from scratch, too. Most of the time I just take someone else's texture and tweak it to suit my needs, but now I'm getting better at making them myself, and I'm quite proud of what I've come up with.

ccave_bwallin.pngccave_bwallin2.pngccave_btubein2.png

ccave_vdoor38.png

ccave_bldceil.pngccave_bldflr1.png

The black spaces are because Half-Life's texture filtering gets fucky on textures with certain dimensions. Half-Life textures have to have dimensions that are a multiple of 16, so 48x48 etc are valid -- but for texture filtering to look its best, textures need dimensions that are either 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, or 512 on either axis.

GreatDaneLogo.png

Also proud of this logo. I was just pissing around with nothing more in mind than "I want a logo that's two connected letters" and then this happened.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

lolnecro

Decided I hated the layout of DM_Powerstruggle (even though it's already been released) so I took a few core elements and am rebuilding the rest from scratch. Working title is dm_powerstruggle_enhanced.

yKMtKQC.jpg

HyejyrY.jpg

tf7VSbb.jpg

JPM3h0b.jpg

I heavily modded the sounds in Urban Assault, changing the scripts to add tons of variety and also adding high quality sound files ripped from numerous sources. Then I did a full voice replacement pack for the Host Station, using a text to speech program and a bunch of audio filters.

Then I started modifying weapon scripts to change the Host Station's defensive flak cannons into devastating multi-shot autocannons.

I've never made anything significant in a video game, but at some point I'd really love to make a functioning mod of Skyrim based around the "Morrowind JVK" creepypasta (I know they're 2 different games and much of the content isn't really applicable to Skyrim but, Skyrim is all I play and it was that story that got me interested in playing TES in the first place).

So many people have discussed making such a mod, but as far as I know, nothing has really happened.

8 hours ago, Alexxx-Returns said:

I've never made anything significant in a video game, but at some point I'd really love to make a functioning mod of Skyrim based around the "Morrowind JVK" creepypasta (I know they're 2 different games and much of the content isn't really applicable to Skyrim but, Skyrim is all I play and it was that story that got me interested in playing TES in the first place).

So many people have discussed making such a mod, but as far as I know, nothing has really happened.

Probably too difficult if not impossible within the confines of the Construction Set -- never mind the near-insurmountable challenge of getting the game to reliably run for several weeks realtime on end.

Also, tweaked the spotlights some, I think the lighting looks a lot better now.

0_2017-07-30_00001.thumb.jpg.888607ddf98b2d2702d3acbfc8e66593.jpg