How Do You Work?

evan

hi forum thinggg

i am currently in 4:30 am at the computer lab, about to jump into learning MIDI and making some computer noises too, and at 730 i will go back to the music building and practice for my lesson at 11.

thing is, sometimes when im working i have no ability to just say "yes many short sittings will do it". i mean fuck i look *forward* to nights like these, i genuinely love spending the evening doing lots of what i love to do without interruption. sometimes i just need a night to put everything aside and work till im done and satisfied.

that said i like balance. i used to be in a schedule that had me doing this every day. it sucked and i hated it. with this thing where i give myself days to work casually, then set an "overtime" day, i get WAY more done and dont feel permanently like shit.

so my story aside,  the question for you fine losers is this - what do you find is the best way for you to work? in short periodic sessions? in giant motivation kicks? not at all? asking the magical video game what it thinks and therefore discarding the notion of work altogether?

how do you get shit done? im genuinely curious.

• Like 3

I take a day to get everything fun/social/necessary out of the way first, then get a good sleep. For the rest of the week I'll have nothing to do except work, and I go crazy if there's nothing to do. I lived at my kitchen table coding for three days because it was that or, ugh, idleness.

Slog through that, die, then repeat if necessary.

• Like 2

I commit to working on things each day spreading out the workload as much as possible, but I know I never do enough to get everything done on time so I end up spending the couple of days before an assessment going insane. I recently got one in 2minutes before the online portal for it closed. THAT was insane. I find this helps me stress less and maintain a pace, otherwise I get really overwhelmed and don't do anything :/

• Like 1

tmp_25021-f7231d97107b3047bcd4abf73c23f30154ee6fa5beea66d400582b8a53e509dc-1445151206.jpg

:V And then I go home and do 3D work for the rest of my evening. Unless it's my turn to do after-hours monitoring for work, then not so much 3D.

These days, though, I've been spending a fair bit more time on Discord and the like in the evenings and it's a rather nice change of pace. I'm still managing to work in my 3D stuff too!

Soooo... I guess at a fairly constant, unending plod?

• Like 5

When I'm writing poetry the best environment is either listening to my favorite songs over and over and over again while sitting in my job's breakroom or waiting for the bus, desperately trying to focus on anything except my fellow human beings.

Same when I write stories, really, though I can work on those when at home. Sometimes its bursts, sometimes I get something stuck in my head and work on it for days, followed by a 'drought', other times I force myself through it. Kinda depends on where I am in the depression-trough/excited-about-specific-thing-for-a-month stages, too.

As for when I'm working-to-live at my store, I have a song or a story running through my head the entire day, it doesn't even have to be one I'm writing, so long as it is coherent and I can continue it logically and in a fashion that lets me relieve stress and keep going, and it lets me put myself on autopilot for the whole day so I don't get too overly tired or stressed out being forced to deal with strangers.

• Like 2

For work as in must-do-because-im-employed-here I just steam right the fuck through until lunch break or home time, even if I'm in a zombified state. No stopping.

For work that is more voluntary such as personal projects, I procrastinate really damned hard. I still have yet to do that one bit of my Python book to make a hangman game.

For papers and other things of a written nature, I will usually spend a lot of time thinking about and mentally planning it out well in advance of when it needs to be done, but only start actual work on it a few days before it is due. I will then write it all in one (or two if it is something excessively long) sitting and one draft (I edit as I write).

When working on my personal projects and hobbies, I usually am much more scattered in my work, and I procrastinating excessively.

• Like 2

Short-to-medium length sessions of about an hour to two hours. How do I write a book? By doing three or four pages a day and stopping there. Do that for a 100 days and you have a 300 to 400 page novel.

It's exhausting to be in "creative mode" for more than a few hours at a time, and I'm already tired as it is.