Kids who don't know shit.

Red Lion

I legit have trouble respecting people who have never gotten their hands dirty. I don't even mean that in a totally literal sense, the starving artist or craftsman who puts in long hours to produce quality work is plenty worthy. At the very least people need to have some kind of real-life experience at being an adult before I start giving a shit about what they have to say.  So when I run into an older teenager who thinks he/she is too intellectual to fold a shirt or mop a floor then you've lost me. I've got a neighbor like that, this brat is about to hit 19 and he already thinks he knows everything. He's so much better than all of the blue-collar redneck farmers and constructions workers and he's so much better than the struggling 25-30 something year olds who scramble around working at Walmart and in gas stations just to try and cover their bills. Naw, he's too good for that! This kid has it all figured out, he's going to share his opinions on youtube and monetize the videos! As soon as his mom lets him borrow her camera. He's not even planning to do anything interesting, he's just going to talk about philosophy and psychology. Problem with that is that the puke stain doesn't even know what he's talking about half the time. He's also got another problem, he's total charisma anti-matter. Nasal voice, kind of twitchy, mumbles a lot and still he suffers from sesquipedalian loquaciousness (meaning he's got that habit of using and misusing ten dollar words to make a two dollar point). 

I'm not even saying he shouldn't try this but he needs to quit scoffing at the burger flippers and garbage men because no matter what he thinks it's still a real possibility that he'll need to get an actual job at some point. Right now he's still going around talking about how he wouldn't be caught dead working for a big corporate franchise like Walmart or Food Lion. He refuses to be another victim of a corrupt, capitalist society! And no matter how passionate he gets about that, or how long he talks I can't help but think "Ok kid, you're not even 20 yet, we'll see how long you can hang on to that attitude". At this point in his life, everything he knows about living as an adult is still a theory, he's barely out of high school. He doesn't even know how to write a check. He doesn't talk to people older than he is and is barely aware of who the president for the last 8 years has been. He has no personal understanding of the world outside of highschool and his friends. So anything he says about society, jobs, or politics at this point has very little credibility.  

In short: The possum who was squatting in my car earlier this week has better opinions than this kid.....

• Like 14

There is a girl I know that goes to the school I'm in and she seems to act almost exactly like that.

Shes 12 and calls people "child".

She says she knows everything since she's "read the books".

She says everyone around her is immature.

Shes a stubborn prick and wants to be a psychologist.

Shes a fucking asshole that 95% of the students here hate.

Tell your neighbor to take an IQ test, it'll be funny if the score is below 100.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Glowing Glass said:

There is a girl I know that goes to the school I'm in and she seems to act almost exactly like that.

Shes a fucking asshole that 95% of the students hate.

Tell your neighbor to take an IQ test, it'll be funny if the score is below 100.

Holy shit, that was this kid all through middle and highschool.

• Like 1

The only way to not be "another victim of a corrupt, capitalist society" is if he goes and lives off the grid somewhere. Somehow I dont think trying to take advantage of youtube's ad revenue is doing the credibility of his anti-capitalist message any favors. 

• Like 12

It gets very hilarious interesting when those pseudo-intellectuals are forced to go ahead and actually do something with their 10 fingers. Setting up a budget, cook food, change their car's engine oil, repairing things, name it.

But I guess becoming a master trainer in Pokemon Go is a much more important issue. :V

• Like 3

I love people like that! It's great knowing how terribly they'll fail as soon as life hands their ass to them. Like the saying goes, "If you can't be a shining example, be a horrible warning," and people like that make great horrible warning to teach the rest of us :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Red Lion said:

I legit have trouble respecting people who have never gotten their hands dirty. I don't even mean that in a totally literal sense, the starving artist or craftsman who puts in long hours to produce quality work is plenty worthy. At the very least people need to have some kind of real-life experience at being an adult before I start giving a shit about what they have to say.  So when I run into an older teenager who thinks he/she is too intellectual to fold a shirt or mop a floor then you've lost me. I've got a neighbor like that, this brat is about to hit 19 and he already thinks he knows everything. He's so much better than all of the blue-collar redneck farmers and constructions workers and he's so much better than the struggling 25-30 something year olds who scramble around working at Walmart and in gas stations just to try and cover their bills. Naw, he's too good for that! This kid has it all figured out, he's going to share his opinions on youtube and monetize the videos! As soon as his mom lets him borrow her camera. He's not even planning to do anything interesting, he's just going to talk about philosophy and psychology. Problem with that is that the puke stain doesn't even know what he's talking about half the time. He's also got another problem, he's total charisma anti-matter. Nasal voice, kind of twitchy, mumbles a lot and still he suffers from sesquipedalian loquaciousness (meaning he's got that habit of using and misusing ten dollar words to make a two dollar point). 

I'm not even saying he shouldn't try this but he needs to quit scoffing at the burger flippers and garbage men because no matter what he thinks it's still a real possibility that he'll need to get an actual job at some point. Right now he's still going around talking about how he wouldn't be caught dead working for a big corporate franchise like Walmart or Food Lion. He refuses to be another victim of a corrupt, capitalist society! And no matter how passionate he gets about that, or how long he talks I can't help but think "Ok kid, you're not even 20 yet, we'll see how long you can hang on to that attitude". At this point in his life, everything he knows about living as an adult is still a theory, he's barely out of high school. He doesn't even know how to write a check. He doesn't talk to people older than he is and is barely aware of who the president for the last 8 years has been. He has no personal understanding of the world outside of highschool and his friends. So anything he says about society, jobs, or politics at this point has very little credibility.  

In short: The possum who was squatting in my car earlier this week has better opinions than this kid.....

Please for the love of every god tell me he forgot to vote this year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Red Lion said:

Is it a bad thing that I have a little brother who acts very similar to this guy? 

• Like 1

I think most kids in middle and high school tend to be huge dicks about life, then when its time to get a job or finish college the dicks are weeded out because youre not going to succeed in life by laughing at everyone around you and bringing them down and pretending like youre hot shit.

5 hours ago, Gator said:

hell, even some of the ones that do end up in walmart and such still manage to have that attitude.  they only do front end duties because they wouldn't be caught dead cleaning up after other people. 

I'd love to see one of them have to clean the 2 inch layer of crusty pee gel off a public restroom floor  or try to get shit out of a urinal like one of my friends had to do, I about guarantee that will cure you of being above anything ever again.

16 minutes ago, Toshabi said:

Pretty much an accurate depiction of millenials 1 week into being forced to live and survive on their own equipped with only their "Ez pz mang, dis money making thing iz nuttin LOL XD" by-the-books knowledge.

3e66293ceb83e49c961aa69eedef953e.gif

I would've said three days but meh.

And dafuq is that GIF? xD

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Toshabi said:

Pretty much an accurate depiction of millenials 1 week into being forced to live and survive on their own equipped with only their "Ez pz mang, dis money making thing iz nuttin LOL XD" by-the-books knowledge.

3e66293ceb83e49c961aa69eedef953e.gif

Is...is that a physics test animation for like, mario party or something?

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

Attributed to Socrates (469–399 B.C.), by Plato

Kids these days! Why they're just, so, so, so....! Hey, and off of my lawn!

~

I think we have heard a similar line of complaints from each subsequent generation, about the one that follows.

I agree the person in the OP needs to face reality, but I have found many millennials well educated, worldly, well read, and with a depth of knowledge about things from mechanics and hands on engineering, to eras of art and music. I think it's a mistake to paint any generation with too broad a brush. And I've found many a 20-something or older lacking in both common sense, manners or urbanity; if anything, by my way of looking at matters, at least youth have the benefit that they are youth, and still learning; what excuse a know-it-all nearly 30 year old has for being similarly judgemental and lacking humility or empathy seems harder for me to fathom.

But again, I can't see a point it making these kinds of broad, generational generalizations.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, Fossa-Boy said:

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

Kids these days! Why they're just, so, so, so....! Hey, and off of my lawn!

~

I think we have heard a similar line of complaints from each subsequent generation, about the one that follows.

I agree the person in the OP needs to face reality, but I have found many millennials well educated, worldly, well read, and with a depth of knowledge about things from mechanics and hands on engineering, to eras of art and music. I think it's a mistake to paint any generation with too broad a brush. And I've found many a 20-something or older lacking in both common sense, manners or urbanity; if anything, by my way of looking at matters, at least youth have the benefit that they are youth, and still learning; what excuse a know-it-all nearly 30 year old has for being similarly judgemental and lacking humility or empathy seems harder for me to fathom.

But again, I can't see a point it making these kinds of broad, generational generalizations.

THANK YOU. I couldn't have said it better myself, thank god.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Fossa-Boy said:

Unfortunately its a biological thing with the human brain. We have maybe one hundred-fifty, two hundred slots for people, pets, idealogies, groups, etc, that we can form emotional attachments and bonds to, due to our being a tribal species. Generalizations and shoving things into stereotypes/archetypes via associating certain patterns and thoughts about them is literally how the human brain was wired to work. Narrowing the brush takes great effort, when its much, much easier to just add an exception to the code for 'friend A from Group B' :V

Also I'd like to know where you found them, because I've only met two that I could stand talking to, the rest were hipsters.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, LadyRadarEars said:

Unfortunately its a biological thing with the human brain. We have maybe one hundred-fifty, two hundred slots for people, pets, idealogies, groups, etc, that we can form emotional attachments and bonds to, due to our being a tribal species. Generalizations and shoving things into stereotypes/archetypes via associating certain patterns and thoughts about them is literally how the human brain was wired to work. Narrowing the brush takes great effort, when its much, much easier to just add an exception to the code for 'friend A from Group B' :V

Also I'd like to know where you found them, because I've only met two that I could stand talking to, the rest were hipsters.

Yeah, it is an effort, not to generalize too much...I think it was learning to look at the specificity of things in writing classes, while also working in a sorta rough, cheap-ass-24-hour diner, I learned not to just lump people together; it was part gritty work, part learning to see the unique, individual nature of people and things.

~

Huh...let's see, where did I meet them? Here and there, on furry forums, and also, among the student workers I supervise at the library.

But yeah, the brain seems to be wired in certain ways...though I have always tried not to just follow the herd, overly much! Maybe it has to do with growing up in a remote, isolated place, and never quite feeling a part of any group? Hard to say, but have always sorta felt like the observant outsider, who also happens to be an extrovert. A walking bundle of contradictions. ;)

37 minutes ago, Rabbit Head said:

THANK YOU. I couldn't have said it better myself, thank god.

Aw, thanks! *blushes*

I know this isn't a problem that just concerns millennials. Fact is I remember myself at that age and looking back I wasn't really any better. Humility and a strong work ethic had to be all but beaten into me and with the benefit of retrospect I am completely grateful for it. Even in more recent years there are plenty of times where I have to take pause and remember things I've learned in the past.

What this kid really needs is to fail spectacularly. To be shown in no uncertain terms that the world and the people in it will not be doing him any favours.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FlynnCoyote said:

I know this isn't a problem that just concerns millennials. Fact is I remember myself at that age and looking back I wasn't really any better. Humility and a strong work ethic had to be all but beaten into me and with the benefit of retrospect I am completely grateful for it. Even in more recent years there are plenty of times where I have to take pause and remember things I've learned in the past.

What this kid really needs is to fail spectacularly. To be shown in no uncertain terms that the world and the people in it will not be doing him any favours.

I wasn't as bad as this kid but I definitely didn't know anything. I had READ about things but never actually had to do them and you find as you get older that books are more like suggestions or guidelines and in the end the best thing you can have for any kind of situation is experience. 

It'd be one thing if this guy actually wanted to learn something, but right now he thinks everyone who ends up garbage man or a janitor is just "not trying hard enough" or "not smart enough" to do a real job. I think that's the part that pisses me off the most. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Fossa-Boy said:

Wise words

Thank you fossa for that bit of contradictory rebuttle to the OP! While I partly agree with the OP, my main point was referring to some of the bullies and popufur kids in high school who get around thinking their the best but end up having no real plans or desires when they leave school and get out in life, but I appreciate your look into kids as a less generalized standard being bright. After all, the  new generations are masters of the benefits and technology given of their time period, we have a lot that we can educate ourselves at the touch of a button. 

I think the main reason there is a lot of tension between two separate generations is there are pros and cons between the two, what benefits we have we often fall short of in others. Vice versa the older generation didnt grow up with all the benefits we now have. As much as I enjoy technology I have to agree learning to walk a mile daily or having to have good script handwriting are activities and arts that are vaguely shown these days

18 hours ago, Glowing Glass said:

Shes a fucking asshole that 95% of the students here hate.

I had to reread that about three times before I realized it said "Psychologist", not "Psychopath".

• Like 2

If the kid really thinks those people are "[victims] of a corrupt, capitalist society," it is a little odd that he scoffs at them. The "not trying hard enough" thing and the "not smart enough thing" are even more odd, especially considering the interest in psychology thing.

I'd venture to guess he has never actually looked that hard into philosophy or psychology. Bonus points if he's a 'nice guy.' Bonus bonus points if he's got Hegel on his shelf but has never actually read it.

He wins it all if he says "crony capitalism" and it just sounds like he's anti-capitalist.

18 hours ago, MissFleece said:

The only way to not be "another victim of a corrupt, capitalist society" is if he goes and lives off the grid somewhere. Somehow I dont think trying to take advantage of youtube's ad revenue is doing the credibility of his anti-capitalist message any favors. 

If he was actually knowledgeable on the subject, he'd be able to defend himself by pointing out that anti-capitalists often take one of three views:

• that opposition from within is unrealistic for the individual, so one must venture to oppose from without,
  • that opposition from without is unrealistic for the individual, so one must venture to oppose from within, and
  • that opposition from within and without are both unrealistic for the individual, so one must accept and act on the fact that capitalism is currently the most modern and progressive system available and will only fall if and when contradictions inherent to the system and social changes brought about by group and individual effort necessitate a mass-change.

He probably can't, but I know a guy who wouldn't mind educating him about the third bullet.

tumblr_inline_oe8gpkybkC1spt7r4_500.gif

9 hours ago, Fossa-Boy said:

I think Peter of Amiens said something that sounds just as close to what's being said over and over in this thread.

"The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as if they knew everything, and what passes for wisdom with us is foolishness with them."

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, MalletFace said:

If the kid really thinks those people are "[victims] of a corrupt, capitalist society," it is a little odd that he scoffs at them. The "not trying hard enough" thing and the "not smart enough thing" are even more odd, especially considering the interest in psychology thing.

I'd venture to guess he has never actually looked that hard into philosophy or psychology. Bonus points if he's a 'nice guy.' Bonus bonus points if he's got Hegel on his shelf but has never actually read it.

He wins it all if he says "crony capitalism" and it just sounds like he's anti-capitalist.

If he was actually knowledgeable on the subject, he'd be able to defend himself by pointing out that anti-capitalists often take one of three views:

• that opposition from within is unrealistic for the individual, so one must venture to oppose from without,
  • that opposition from without is unrealistic for the individual, so one must venture to oppose from within, and
  • that opposition from within and without are both unrealistic for the individual, so one must accept and act on the fact that capitalism is currently the most modern and progressive system available and will only fall if and when contradictions inherent to the system and social changes brought about by group and individual effort necessitate a mass-change.

He probably can't, but I know a guy who wouldn't mind educating him about the third bullet.

tumblr_inline_oe8gpkybkC1spt7r4_500.gif

I think Peter of Amiens said something that sounds just as close to what's being said over and over in this thread.

"The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as if they knew everything, and what passes for wisdom with us is foolishness with them."

He has used the term "crony capitalism" once or twice while trying to make a point. As for him being a nice guy, he checks off that one too. He also crosses off "date's black girls because he's not racist". 

To be fair. I don't even think that young people are as a whole that self-centered compared to everyone else. I have seen high school level bullshit continue on long after I left highschool. Though on some level a lot of them are and when they do completely lack self-awareness they REALLY lack it.  I still think having reverence for parents and old age is overrated as age is not a guarantee of experience or knowledge but I can't stand hearing "They're a plumber because they're too stupid to do a different job" from someone who has never had to pay for anything himself.  

• Like 1

i know when I was younger I had that mindset of, "Why would anyone want to work [x job that seems shitty]" and then I graduated and needed a job. Got me one of those jobs that seemed shitty because it's what was available.

Now I know why people work them.

It shows a great immaturity to make fun of someone's job. It sucks when things don't pan out or you end up in a career you don't like, and to add this bullshit shame to it is just inexcusable.

But I do think that's part of growing up. Can't realize cold the world is until you're out in it with no security blanket.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Kinharia said:

What are these "jobs" you people speak of? :o I can never seem to find this mythical creature.

Kinny shall we go find them together?

@thread: tbh, I used to be like this to an extent, but now I can't get a job at all and am slowly falling deeper and deeper into depression because of it : D

25 minutes ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

Kinny shall we go find them together?

@thread: tbh, I used to be like this to an extent, but now I can't get a job at all and am slowly falling deeper and deeper into depression because of it : D

Been there done that. At some point everyone realizes that unless they have skills and connections they can't really afford to be picky about where they get their money. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Red Lion said:

Been there done that. At some point everyone realizes that unless they have skills and connections they can't really afford to be picky about where they get their money. 

Yup. It's why that as a college graduate I wound up scanning documents for eight hours a day for a dollar above minimum wage. I did that for a bit over a year before something better came along, but even then it was only a mild upgrade.

It took me almost four years to find something that's actually not terrible, and even then, half my job is still data entry and boring admin work.

At one point i was an idiot teenager with no life experiences. I don't want to say I looked down on jobs, but I certainly didn't get why some people felt stuck at the crappy ones they have. Now I have no time for that attitude because it's toxic and stupid. Hashtaggrowingup I guess.

I still wish people would focus more on being innovative and starting their own businesses, instead of just relying on finding someone else to do that for them and give them a job :/

It's too bad our public education isn't geared towards that at all.

8 minutes ago, Rassah said:

I still wish people would focus more on being innovative and starting their own businesses, instead of just relying on finding someone else to do that for them and give them a job :/

While I really like the idea, personal finances are a big obstacle to many people. If I had a big enough financial margin I would certainly start working on some sort of freelance job project right away.

1 hour ago, Rassah said:

Not everyone has the capital or the know-how for such an endeavor. Usually it takes many years of hard work to be able to successfully start a business.

As much as I would love to start a race crew or open a tuning shop, I need to take care of my expenses first. A welding job will help me reach the point to where I can do such a thing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rhíulchabán said:

It seems weird to me that so many people do end up this way, I never had any qualms about working the lowest end jobs right out of the gate. I've worked as a janitor, a factory laborer, a convenience store clerk and as an assistant coach at various points and all were equally viable and decent in my eyes. They made me realize that  I personally don't want to work any of those jobs into my late-life... and so I went to school (while still working those jobs) to make sure I could get the type of job I would rather do... but scoffing at the choices of others or the needs of others in life is rather silly.

I mean, I myself am a dirty pinko commie and I could totally disdain our capitalist society day in and day out, but if I live in it I have to accept the realities of life for myself and others regardless of my personal ideology. Sticking to your beliefs can be important, but in some cases to function in life you have to make compromises like an adult and deal with things. If kids or adults are doing this, it is most likely a maturity problem.

In other words, I'll let granny end for me:

I do kind of get the impression that being anti-capitalist is less an ideology and more of an excuse for him. 

This guy is also not a super young kid anymore, he's about 19 which is about the age where being young and inexperienced is no longer a viable excuse to not know better than to scoff at the girl working behind a register. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Rassah said:

Workin' on it. Should have my first video game done and on Steam in hopefully under six months now.

Course there's no guarantee it'll sell. A lot of time and money is going into this, not to mention some instability. Not everyone can take that risk. I can't blame anyone for not wanting to jump ship on something that puts food on their table on hopes and dreams.

The other thing too is that the world needs those jobs that aren't glamorous. You can't get fast food at 1:00 in the morning if no one's there to sell it to you. Your trash won't pick itself up.

I did data entry for a place that processed drug tests. That's it. We got flooded with mail every morning, scanned em into the system, and paid or rejected bills based on all sorts of criteria I can no longer remember. Drug tests. This was a job I had for about a year that I didn't even know the world needed. Right now I work for a screen printing company. You know the decals on your washing machine or maybe your car? We make those. Another thing I didn't know really existed because I took the face of a washing machine for granted.

Turns out, it's hard as fuck to get that right. Those big stickers also cost upwards of $27 a piece.

I kinda lost my point on the matter. I guess it's that the world is big and interconnected and we can't all be business owners because someone has to print stickers for washing machines.

• Like 2

On 11/7/2016 at 0:31 AM, Jerry said:

While I really like the idea, personal finances are a big obstacle to many people.

On 11/7/2016 at 1:20 AM, LazerMaster5 said:

Not everyone has the capital or the know-how for such an endeavor.

You don't really need capital to come up with an idea or start developing it, and there is a lot of capital available from investors, so you don't even need your own money. But people don't know how to be inventive, how to evaluate ideas, or how to raise money. The lack of "know-how" is the lacking at school problem I meant.

18 hours ago, Mikazuki Marazhu said:

Is there any disadvantage for lowering taxes for big companies so they'll stay onshore? Getting low taxes is better than no tax at all right? Cuz seriously, you guys need a better job than retail.

That's only part of the equation unfortunately. Companies will set up their office here to make here be their tax base, but still do their major work (manufacturing or whatever else) overseas where regulations are less restrictive. You need to do both, lower taxes and reduce regulations and regulatory costs. That's why "trickle down" failed: the money from all the tax cuts did "trickle down" to poor people, but all of them were in China, India, and others. 

5 minutes ago, Rassah said:

You don't really need capital to come up with an idea or start developing it, and there is a lot of capital available from investors, so you don't even need your own money. But people don't know how to be inventive, how to evaluate ideas, or how to raise money. The lack of "know-how" is the lacking at school problem I meant.

Hey Rassah, can I have some bitcoins to start my new business with? It's a revolutionary new, blazing fast, online marijuana delivery surface for the pacific northwest. I'm gonna call it.... "Instagram"

@Conker Even jobs like screen printing or being a janitor can be something people themselves start. Businesses are all very interconnected, and for instance I can start a business that prepares and sets up sales displays for washing machines in stores, you could have a business that makes stickers, and you could hire someone who has a business of providing janitors to clean up after all the mess you make. And in every one of those, there could be a team of people working together, instead of a single individual or a boss that does nothing himself. Even with the janitor example, someone could start it, hire people to help, and be in charge of whom they do business with and collecting money, but still work together cleaning stuff with his team. 

12 minutes ago, MuttButt said:

Hey Rassah, can I have some bitcoins to start my new business with? It's a revolutionary new, blazing fast, online marijuana delivery surface for the pacific northwest. I'm gonna call it.... "Instagram"

I'd have to look at the details, see the financial proposal to make sure it can earn back the money, and know you better to know you won't lose everything. And as I said, you don't need capital to start. Even If you're just joking here, you can still explore the idea and see what you can do with what you have before asking for more.

Also Instagram would limit you to outside of US market, since here it would be Instaounce, and wouldn't work :P