Election Megathread 2016

DrGravitas

I really get irritated when I here about people that don't vote. Only half of my work crew went and voted. Not just for president but voting at all. My state had a huge laundry list of things to vote on. Presidential election, House of Reps, State house/senate. A new county sheriffs, State Supreme Court. And in my city 2 major tax increases. And lastly a bunch of board of trustees for the major colleges.

You just ignore all that.... Its ridicules.

• Like 4

Im gonna be upset either way because on the one hand you have obnoxious sexist racist rednecks cheering for their win or obnoxious jargon-blathering feminazis cheering their win

...both sides have followers that represent the two polar extremes of society at its worst

• Like 2

I voted earlier today for Hillary. No line, took less than 10 minutes. I get this sinking feeling though this is gonna be a close call or go to Trump. If Trump wins this, any respect I have for my country will be gone and further prove just how fucked and divided we really are. I'd rather have someone who's more stable and at least have some political background than a rich. irritable wannabe dictator that's so disconnected from reality and is unpredictable

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LadyRadarEars said:

Well I mean, I voted less to spite the two-party system and more because I'm honestly terrified that Hillary wants us to get into a nukefight with Russia.

How exactly would Hillary get us into a fight with Russia?

And what's better? Being dickbuddies with Russia like Trump is? Ignoring what an Authoritarian ruler Putin is? 

2 minutes ago, Crazy Lee said:

And what's better? Being dickbuddies with Russia like Trump is? Ignoring what an Authoritarian ruler Putin is? 

There was some talk of her wanting to turn Russia into a "No fly" zone which can be interpreted as a sign of militaristic aggression. A lot of her problems with Russia stems from old shit from the cold war.

9 minutes ago, DevilishlyHandsome49 said:

I voted earlier today for Hillary. No line, took less than 10 minutes. I get this sinking feeling though this is gonna be a close call or go to Trump. If Trump wins this, any respect I have for my country will be gone and further prove just how fucked and divided we really are. I'd rather have someone who's more stable and at least have some political background than a rich. irritable wannabe dictator that's so disconnected from reality and is unpredictable

"Someone I dislike might win, therefore America is now shit because it is not conforming to my opinions."

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

"Someone I dislike might win, therefore America is now shit because it is not conforming to my opinions."

I really feel like people are forgetting just how bad Trump is compared to Hillary. I know Hillary has her problems but you match them up with Trump's and just how open and blatant they all are. His personality, his inexperience. I'll take Hillary any day over him

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zeke said:

There was some talk of her wanting to turn Russia into a "No fly" zone which can be interpreted as a sign of militaristic aggression. A lot of her problems with Russia stems from old shit from the cold war.

Just talk though.

Turning all of Russia into a no-fly zone (this isn't Iraq or Syria we're talking about, this is RUSSIA, one of the biggest countries on the planet) would be a pretty hard thing to do. And even I don't think Hillary would be that stupid.

Are you sure you didn't mean Syria? I could see that being a thing.

I also have been curious about the anti-clinton (usually trump supporters) who say she committed treason. If they mean the emails, I don't see that as being treason. Treason is the deliberate aid of enemies.

3 minutes ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

It's less that it doesn't conform to my opinions and more that most Americans are willing to vote willfully and eagerly for two bad candidates, ignoring or explaining away all their flaws with shit logic. There's some serious cult of personality going on there. People are willing to grovel at the feet of those two. It's stupid. Our country should be smarter than this.

Plus, there is the fear that whichever idiot wins, they might fuck up this country in absolutely terrible ways.

5 minutes ago, DevilishlyHandsome49 said:

I really feel like people are forgetting just how bad Trump is compared to Hillary. I know Hillary has her problems but you match them up with Trump's and just how open and blatant they all are. His personality, his inexperience. I'll take Hillary any day over him

If he wins, since he has no experience, congress will fight him on any bills he tries to pass and such. He most likely won't have much power at all. He's not going to try an be a dictator or anything like that because he can't. Read: The President does NOT have all the power, and he especially won't. Saying that America is corrupt if he wins is a really shitty thing to say, because it's implying that anyone who has a different opinion than you is bad.

• Like 4

I'll add on here that no matter who wins, this election is changing things. Statistically one candidate had a huge ground campaign. The other, next to nothing in that regard. Thats unprecedented. And whatever side wins HAS to pay attention to the other half of the country. And in my personal opinion that lies more on Hillary than Trump as she is part of the political establishment. Its a wake up call to both parties on how dissatisfied people are with them. Not to mention if Trump wins, it will be a first that an outsider took the highest office in the country with NO political experience. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

If he wins, since he has no experience, congress will fight him on any bills he tries to pass and such. He most likely won't have much power at all. He's not going to try an be a dictator or anything like that because he can't. Read: The President does NOT have all the power, and he especially won't. Saying that America is corrupt if he wins is a really shitty thing to say, because it's implying that anyone who has a different opinion than you is bad.

If Hillary wins and the GOP maintain the majority, then it will probably be the same thing. The president does not have all the power, whether it's Hillary or Trump.

That being said I don't like the idea of those guys in power.

Just now, Gamedog said:

Clinton: wants to fight Russia for dementia fueled paranoia reasons

trump: okay with Russia, maybe he will bond with Russia and have new powerful ally

Why would we want to be allies with a dictatorship? It's bad enough Turkey is a nato member with the way that government is becoming? I'd at least want to keep them at arms length.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Crazy Lee said:

Just talk though.

Turning all of Russia into a no-fly zone (this isn't Iraq or Syria we're talking about, this is RUSSIA, one of the biggest countries on the planet) would be a pretty hard thing to do. And even I don't think Hillary would be that stupid.

Are you sure you didn't mean Syria? I could see that being a thing.

I also have been curious about the anti-clinton (usually trump supporters) who say she committed treason. If they mean the emails, I don't see that as being treason. Treason is the deliberate aid of enemies.

I'd have to find the article, but she has (or had) held some anti-Russia and anti-Cuba sentiments for some time. 

Syria I can see since that place is nothing but a war zone. If she made that into a No-fly zone, people should understand why.

As for the emails thing, that shit's become a meme now. 

25 minutes ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

Weren't you already warned about starting pointless fights in threads?

"Who rules Central and Eastern Europe commands the Heartland. Who rules the Heartland commands the World-Island. Who rules the World-Island commands The World."

The Cold War was not the beginning of history. Soviet policy in Eastern Europe under Russian rule reflected Imperial Russian policy. It was not coincidence. It was not a shared ideology. It was logical. It is inevitable. Without a proper weight to keep the balance, the world system will lean the other way. It is not old hatreds, it is not a question of a new ally or an undesirable ally. It is logic. It is geopolitics. It is what it must be. And if we let it slip, we will not get it back without far greater pain and suffering.

23 minutes ago, Crazy Lee said:

If Hillary wins and the GOP maintain the majority, then it will probably be the same thing. The president does not have all the power, whether it's Hillary or Trump.

That being said I don't like the idea of those guys in power.

Why would we want to be allies with a dictatorship? It's bad enough Turkey is a nato member with the way that government is becoming? I'd at least want to keep them at arms length.

Hillary is allies with Saudi Arabia lmao

and cause Its better than going to war with them??

turkey is bad

51 minutes ago, Crazy Lee said:

She wants a no-fly zone above Syria, and our own generals have stated that the only way to get a reliable one that isn't just useless legal documentation would be to directly declare war on both Russia and Assad's Syria.

56 minutes ago, Crazy Lee said:

She threatened Russia with "military action" should they do another digital attack after some of the Wikileaks leaks even though there wasn't any evidence that Russia was involved.

• Like 2

I'd never imagine I would ever say this sentence, but I actually partially agree with a Micheal Moore statement. That there is a HUGE group of people, who because they are so justifiably furious at both establishment parties decided throw throw a live grenade into the political establishment and walk away. I honestly cannot fault people for that sentiment. Maybe this is what it takes to fix our broken government, Throwing a live grenade into the WH.

Obviously I am not a Trump fan, yet I am one of those who voted for him. Not because I like what he has said, not because I like his character (I don't), not because I trust him per say. But, because he is so far out of the box, that just maybe this is whats needed. I guess when I voted a couple hours ago I decided to roll the dice and see what happens.

Also shameless plug but it looks like whoever wins MI may end up deciding the election.

• Like 2

Now some are saying that its possible for a tie at 269 for both candidates. THAT would be horrible and hilarious at the same time.

Edit: If that happens then the House votes to decide the Pres and the Senate votes to decide the VP. But the GOP has held and gained in the House and Senate. So if that happens more than likely Trump would win.

• Like 1

• Guest locked this topic