Things That You Don't Understand!

FenrirDarkWolf

Why the 74133 ever got made by whoever invented all the 74xx series ICs in the first place.

All it does is act as 13 input NAND logic gate. I can think of  no things that need to wait on 13 signals to all be the same.

Given that gates with more inputs are slower to turn on and off anyway anyone making a circuit that needs one of these things is best off redesigning thier circuit to work on more sensible quad 2 input logic gate ICs. 

At least it is less pointless  than a oddball in the 4000 series I found. This oddball, rather than being a logic gate or counter IC for example is a 1-bit CPU whose data sheet calls it a industrial control unit and reads more like a programmer guide than a data sheet.

On 11/15/2016 at 4:58 PM, PurpleTail said:

Why are certain members yellow, while others are light blue

Yellow means you have access to the yiff dungeon.

Blue means you can ban someone for being a cunt.

I think purple is the color of the person who can boss the blue people.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LazerMaster5 said:

Yellow means you have access to the yiff dungeon.

Blue means you can ban someone for being a cunt.

I think purple is the color of the person who can boss the blue people.

Very close, except that purple and blue are on equal terms in moderation. Purple means they have the admin rights necessary to do software-related changes, group permission stuff, and implement website changes.

35 minutes ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

Why on earth queer studies is a major at my boyfriend's school.

For the same reason the school has majors in any other section of literature, sociology, psychology, linguistics, philosophy, or interdisciplinary studies in whatever college or department.

It might seem absurd and specific when you don't actually know what to do with it or what it is, but so does a major in turfgrass, bread science, or paper.

9 hours ago, MalletFace said:

For the same reason the school has majors in any other section of literature, sociology, psychology, linguistics, philosophy, or interdisciplinary studies in whatever college or department.

It might seem absurd and specific when you don't actually know what to do with it or what it is, but so does a major in turfgrass, bread science, or paper.

There are definitely departments and degree subjects which.actually are absurd and specific, though. Whilst I don't want people to push for money to be stripped away from academia, I think it's important to argue that the limited money academics do get should be given to people who want to make honest intellectual headway, instead of the people who want to disseminate their personal political points of view by representing them as academic theory. Do you think that's more or less a fair appraisal?

Goldsmith University Disability Research Centre is an example: http://www.gold.ac.uk/disability-research/
You know they're dressing mutton as lamb when they use the word 'pedagogy' instead of 'teaching', and by the end of the introduction to their department, they've already explicitly stated that they view disability from a 'marxist'  'post-colonial' perspective, rather than a 'medical' one.

What sort of research has Goldsmith University produced to improve the lives of disabled people?

http://research.gold.ac.uk/11135/

A paper arguing that carbon fibre prosthetic limbs predispose amputees to devalue women. No research was actually conducted; this is an essay, so it's very much giving primacy to previous authors' ideas, over the controlled collection of real world evidence which could be used to test those ideas.

"Oscar Pistorius is exemplary of the masculinization of carbon fire, and the associated binding of a psychic attitude of misogyny and power to a form of violent and competitive masculine subjectivity"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saxon said:

http://research.gold.ac.uk/11135/

A paper arguing that carbon fibre prosthetic limbs predispose amputees to devalue women. No research was actually conducted; this is an essay, so it's very much giving primacy to previous authors' ideas, over the controlled collection of real world evidence which could be used to test those ideas.

"Oscar Pistorius is exemplary of the masculinization of carbon fire, and the associated binding of a psychic attitude of misogyny and power to a form of violent and competitive masculine subjectivity"

jesus christ

i thought "what awful person wrote this" so i saw the author's name and did a quick google

wish i hadn't tbqfhm8

44 minutes ago, Gator said:

jesus christ

i thought "what awful person wrote this" so i saw the author's name and did a quick google

wish i hadn't tbqfhm8

I looked up some of her other academic work.

Holy shit. I've never seen such a bizarre stream of pretentious, overly-articulate bullshit.

• Like 2

On 03/12/2016 at 5:46 AM, Silo said:

The idea of eternal oblivion, and it's even something that I fear deeply.

I would essentially be a flying man(referring to the thought experiment) without any conscience for the rest of eternity. I cannot fathom that.

Flying man?

I don't understand why are cool with stating that for electron tunneling we can have negative kinetic energy to satisfy the boundary conditions, and yet we just attribute the inability to measure particle/wave duality simultaneously as just "quantum nature". As if we just gave up and were like, "eh fuck it close enough"

49 minutes ago, U-235 said:

I don't understand why are cool with stating that for electron tunneling we can have negative kinetic energy to satisfy the boundary conditions, and yet we just attribute the inability to measure particle/wave duality simultaneously as just "quantum nature". As if we just gave up and were like, "eh fuck it close enough"

This is integral to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle; measurement requires the observer to interact with the subject, and this means that you change at least one of its properties, hence it is not possible to measure all of the properties at the same time.

Have you heard of the Young's Two-Slit experiment? That's a good demonstration of observation changing the experimental outcome. When you pass electrons through a filter with two slits, one at a time, then they make a magical interference pattern on the detector, as if they are behaving like ripples on the sea, instead of particles.

If you install detectors next to the slits, to check which they are going through, then the electrons pass through the slits and hit the final detector in two verical bars, as if they are behaving like little billiard balls; attempting to measure the process means that the observer has changed it.

I think this shows that macroscopic intuitive understanding of classical physics, where we are familiar with billiard balls and ocean waves, are just emergent phenomena, and that it is unreasonable for us to expect the tiny quantum world to behave like a small version of our big world. So I am completely comfortable with that tiny world having quanta of negative energy, random events that aren't causative, time that doesn't always flow forwards and so on.

5 minutes ago, Saxon said:

This is integral to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle; measurement requires the observer to interact with the subject, and this means that you change at least one of its properties, hence it is not possible to measure all of the properties at the same time.

Have you heard of the Young's Two-Slit experiment? That's a good demonstration of observation changing the experimental outcome. When you pass electrons through a filter with two slits, one at a time, then they make a magical interference pattern on the detector, as if they are behaving like ripples on the sea, instead of particles.

If you install detectors next to the slits, to check which they are going through, then the electrons pass through the slits and hit the final detector in two verical bars, as if they are behaving like little billiard balls; attempting to measure the process means that the observer has changed it.

I think this shows that macroscopic intuitive understanding of classical physics, where we are familiar with billiard balls and ocean waves, are just emergent phenomena, and that it is unreasonable for us to expect the tiny quantum world to behave like a small version of our big world. So I am completely comfortable with that tiny world having quanta of negative energy, random events that aren't causative, time that doesn't always flow forwards and so on.

Well I mean I understand all that. I've had a course on Quantum Mechanics and Modern Physics. Plus it's reviewed extensively in reactor physics. I guess what bothers me more than anything is the inability to actually measure both occurring at the same time. I know Heisenberg's uncertainty principal plays into that. Though if I remember correctly Einstein hypothesized an ideal case that actually allowed you to measure both position and speed but it required two electrons exiting. But my point being that I simply find it bothersome that it's nature switches based on the measurement itself. It makes sense that it has to be in a quantum state for it to exist, but I can't help but wonder if there's something more to it that we're missing. It's part of the reason I'm reading up on quantum field theory, since it seems to alleviate some of the discontinuity's in quantum mechanics. Granted at relativistic speeds it still has trouble. You seem fairly knowledgeable on this subject area. May I ask what your background in it is?

6 minutes ago, U-235 said:

Well I mean I understand all that. I've had a course on Quantum Mechanics and Modern Physics. Plus it's reviewed extensively in reactor physics. I guess what bothers me more than anything is the inability to actually measure both occurring at the same time. I know Heisenberg's uncertainty principal plays into that. Though if I remember correctly Einstein hypothesized an ideal case that actually allowed you to measure both position and speed but it required two electrons exiting. But my point being that I simply find it bothersome that it's nature switches based on the measurement itself. It makes sense that it has to be in a quantum state for it to exist, but I can't help but wonder if there's something more to it that we're missing. It's part of the reason I'm reading up on quantum field theory, since it seems to alleviate some of the discontinuity's in quantum mechanics. Granted at relativistic speeds it still has trouble. You seem fairly knowledgeable on this subject area. May I ask what your background in it is?

Ha, I am very happy with the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, because I think it means that violations of the 2nd law of Thermodynamics, like Maxwell's daemon, are impossible. (I've always found issue with Maxwell's daemon, because I think it tacitly assumes that the daemon's interference doesn't count as an interaction with the system that would require work to be performed). 
You might be able to show me that my understand of that situation is wrong though, since you're the expert.

This is interesting stuff though!

(My background is Geological sciences).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Ha, I am very happy with the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, because I think it means that violations of the 2nd law of Thermodynamics, like Maxwell's daemon, are impossible. (I've always found issue with Maxwell's daemon, because I think it tacitly assumes that the daemon's interference doesn't count as an interaction with the system that would require work to be performed). 
You might be able to show me that my understand of that situation is wrong though, since you're the expert.

This is interesting stuff though!

You are correct in your understanding. But yeah, I'm curious, what got you interested in this? So as for thermodynamics and the 2nd law, it works very well for macroscopic and most microscopic cases. But when you start getting into the realm of superconductors and things that act as near lossless transmission of energy, you start getting some funky results. Especially when you start involving Majorana (particles that exist as themselves and their anti-matter counterpart at the same time) it starts getting interesting then. But I do remember distinctly in my Physics II course that in theory there is a possibility for heat to travel in the opposite direction. If you have a very small 1 by 1 atom latice and excite one half of it, there is a probability that the heat will move from the un-excited side and to the excited side. We actually had to calculate the possibility for it to occur and it  was like 10^-100 lol. 

http://gizmodo.com/this-particle-is-matter-and-antimatter-at-the-same-time-1642817101

Why it is so much more acceptable in our society to show graphic depictions of pain, violence and suffering, than it is of showing depictions of sex, pleasure and the body.

And yet from video games to TV to movies, it's almost ridiculous to imagine, if all the violence were suddenly replaced by sex. All these media platforms would become one massive orgy.

• 4 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

How it seems that @DrGravitas likes almost every single post in some of these threads, how does he not reach his limit?

Also, thanks in advance

They replenish from day-to-day, as I recall. They may have also increased the limit from 30 at some point. I don't remember.

On 12/12/2016 at 0:02 AM, Fossa-Boy said:

Why it is so much more acceptable in our society to show graphic depictions of pain, violence and suffering, than it is of showing depictions of sex, pleasure and the body.

And yet from video games to TV to movies, it's almost ridiculous to imagine, if all the violence were suddenly replaced by sex. All these media platforms would become one massive orgy.

I believe in the UK it is the other away around. Those Brits are raunchy and proud of it.

1 minute ago, AleuLeLoup said:

I know. I've taken French. But why not call it Double-V. C like it's supposed to be?

European influence could be the culprit. Loads of surrounding countries pronounce W as a V anyway. Like Germany, whom may or may not have produced/introduced such technology

Plus, syllables and slang and effort

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AleuLeLoup said:

I know. I've taken French. But why not call it Double-V. C like it's supposed to be?

This reminds me: The Italian alphabet lacks the following letters: J, K, W, X, Y. (Except in foreign words/names). I've always thought this makes it more streamlined. 

1 hour ago, Shiro said:

Why do people always assume something that is Asian is Chinese by default? People really need to educate themselves.

Huh, haven't noted this, but maybe due to the vast ammount of goods exported? I always think of Asia as a much larger region, and Thailand, India, Burma, Laos, Japan, Iran, Mongolia, and Korea come to mind, among other countries. I mean, it's huge, from Turkey to Indonesia.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Fossa-Boy said:

Huh, haven't noted this, but maybe due to the vast ammount of goods exported? I always think of Asia as a much larger region, and Thailand, India, Burma, Laos, Japan, Iran, Mongolia, and Korea come to mind, among other countries. I mean, it's huge, from Turkey to Indonesia.

That, and probably China having a larger population than other Asian countries, making them a more "common" people. It's easier for people to generalize a majority, and a stereotype that's become of it.

On 14/01/2017 at 2:29 AM, AleuLeLoup said:

I think I remember why.

The original 'W' was not two v letters, it was actually written with a digraph reading 'uu' and 'double v' is a later innovation.
uu was the original choice because 'u' was the 'wuh' consonant in latin, so instead of writing 'winner' you would write 'uinner'.

This didn't fit Germanic languages like English very well, because they needed a letter to make the 'ooh' noise, a sound Latin didn't have, but latin did not have any spare letters.
So Germanic languages like English decided to turn 'u' into a vowel for the ooh noise, and write the 'wuh' consonant by joining two 'u' letters together.

This has since become confused, because German subsequently changed and effectively replaced the 'wuh' consonant with 'vuh'. ...why didn't they just use 'v' to make the 'vuh' noise? Because v was a vowel in latin that made an 'ugh' noise like in the word 'Mvsevm', or a consonant that could make a 'wuh' or 'buh' noise at the start of a word such as in 'Via' or 'vici' which would be pronounced 'Wee-ah' and 'Weekee'.
So Germans decided that 'V' would make a 'Fuh' noise *which there is already a letter for, but never mind*.

In all of this confusion some other Germanic peoples, like the Frankish, began to write the uu digraph as vv in their new Latin-based language with Gaulish pronunciation rules. (Dear God why?). 

English thought this was all getting ridiculous, so they replaced the uu digraph with its own independent harp-shaped letter called the 'Wynn', which totally never got confused with P:
Wynn.png

But the wynn was forgotten after the Norman invasion, because the Normans introduced the English to the vvonderful Frankish vv digraph, which was not so easily confused with other letters in the English alphabet at that time. ...and there we have it.

TL:DR
Nobody could agree to pronounce letters consistently in the middle ages, Latin didn't have enough letters for all the sounds in the Germanic languages and half the scribes were essentially borderline illiterate anyway and essentially spelled words whichever way they wanted in order to save precious ink.

• Like 2

The dichotomy between shitposts and academic lectures on this forum baffles me beyond comprehension.

Also, Saxon, please tell me you looked some of that up and that your entire post wasn't just stored in your head. I need to know for my own sense of self-worth.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, SirRob said:

The dichotomy between shitposts and academic lectures on this forum baffles me beyond comprehension.

Also, Saxon, please tell me you looked some of that up and that your entire post wasn't just stored in your head. I need to know for my own sense of self-worth.

So I knew about the uu digraph, but I had to check who invented the vv digraph (I'm still not sure why, apart from maybe because it was easier to write?) and how it came to replace wynn.
I might be wrong that vv is frankish- it may have been invented by another German people, and then adopted by the franks. If somebody knows and would like to correct me, please do.

How certain vet procedures seem apropriate.

I went and found a site that seemed to be a load of case studies with instructions for each step of various procedures.

I can't see why the best place to take blood from a ferret (after you give it anaesthetic via the cone mask thing)  is from its vena cava, though it did say the unique (fluff tube) shaped anatomy made this the best way.

My first thoughts where how is that safe seeing as that is the largest vein in animals.

The blocked cat treatment sounded tame in comparison to that.

I had fun trying to translate medical terms and meanings into non medical "human readable" ones. Things like oedema (fluid filled thing) , dorsal (back) and instrument (dental drill).

Why there are so few choices of internet providers...it's almost a monopoly, around here; Comcast and Verizon, and they are both shitty, evil companies, with crappy customer service, and speeds that at times make the dial up era look appealing.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Fossa-Boy said:

Why there are so few choices of internet providers...it's almost a monopoly, around here; Comcast and Verizon, and they are both shitty, evil companies, with crappy customer service, and speeds that at times make the dial up era look appealing.

Let's not even mention that Time Warner has a 97â„… profit margin, yet providers seem hell-bent on forcing everyone onto limited data plans.

I bought a new phone in August and paid $60 for unlimited data. Lo and behold my high speed data ran out in about three days and I spent the rest of the month waiting minutes at a time for webpages to load. There I was thinking I'd actually get unlimited high-speed data.

Boost Mobile is shit.  10/10 trashy company; will not buy from again

IP's and phone companies are really starting to piss me off. Data caps are starting to really piss me off.

I'm personally boycotting any company that tries to impose a data cap on me. I want what I paid for and I paid for unlimited data.

• Like 1