Things That You Don't Understand!

FenrirDarkWolf

11 minutes ago, Hux said:

Let's not even mention that Time Warner has a 97℅ profit margin, yet providers seem hell-bent on forcing everyone onto limited data plans.

I bought a new phone in August and paid $60 for unlimited data. Lo and behold my high speed data ran out in about three days and I spent the rest of the month waiting minutes at a time for webpages to load. There I was thinking I'd actually get unlimited high-speed data.

Boost Mobile is shit.  10/10 trashy company; will not buy from again

IP's and phone companies are really starting to piss me off. Data caps are starting to really piss me off.

I'm personally boycotting any company that tries to impose a data cap on me. I want what I paid for and I paid for unlimited data.

This reminds me of a sign in the window of a Chinese restaurant, down the street.

Free Delivery!

-Limited delivery area, $12 minimum, and $1 fee

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Fossa-Boy said:

This reminds me of a sign in the window of a Chinese restaurant, down the street.

Free Delivery!

-Limited delivery area, $12 minimum, and $1 fee

Yeah, I actually thought false advertising was illegal. Oh, well. Free market and all.

13 hours ago, Hux said:

Yeah, I actually thought false advertising was illegal. Oh, well. Free market and all.

I think they can get away with it as long as it's free under "certain terms", which is what it sounds like from what he said. I'm not sure how that kind of strategy gets you more customers though, as the people you pissed off are probably less likely to buy from you in the future.

10 hours ago, Battlechili said:

How people like Disney's Alice in Wonderland (the animated one)

It's boring, but I assume most people just appreciate Disney's animation. Which even if their plots can suck (Little Mermaid) the animation, to this day, bodies most other animations coming out.
I think the worst adaptation I've seen (not that I've seen many since the universe doesn't interest me) is the SyFy miniseries which I thought would be decent. Wrong. 

On 13/01/2017 at 9:26 PM, DrDingo said:

In French, instead of calling letter W 'Double-U', the naming instead translates to 'Double-V'. Which actually makes a lot more sense.

As a (French-speaking) kid learning English as a 2nd language, I always wondered why W was spelled "double-U" in English. Now thanks to @Saxon I have the answer. We learn things everyday!

On 13/01/2017 at 9:29 PM, AleuLeLoup said:

I know. I've taken French. But why not call it Double-V. C like it's supposed to be?

Oh you did?

Bonjour. =3

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jerry said:

As a (French-speaking) kid learning English as a 2nd language, I always wondered why W was spelled "double-U" in English. Now thanks to @Saxon I have the answer. We learn things everyday!

Oh you did?

Bonjour. =3

Oui! Mais, je parle un petite peu parce que je ne connais pas francophone personnes. Ma francais est ...eh.

4 hours ago, DrGravitas said:

The Company's big new road safety campaign banners have, in big bold letters, the word 'tire' spelled 'tyre'. Good lord, are they even trying? How does that happen?

...Maybe the owner is English? That's our spelling for it.

In Canada I came across a shop using a board on the freeway to advertise their 'Bork Lion Chops' for only 599 dollars!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Saxon said:

...Maybe the owner is English? That's our spelling for it.

In Canada I came across a shop using a board on the freeway to advertise their 'Bork Lion Chops' for only 599 dollars!

Ah, so it is an UK-english spelling! I looked it up before posting, but it seems I need a better dictionary :/

1 hour ago, Saxon said:

Ich denke, dass die Furries besonders prima sind.

(I think, that the furries particularly great are.)

Well, Germanic gibberish aside, I was wondering...

Saxon, you seem like a very knowledgeable guy. Do you speak a second language? I'm not sure how common that is in the UK.

Always on the subject of languages:

I'm currently doodling something to illustrate my tendency to always go for the cheapest option possible when I repair something. Along with it I write something, as I often like to do. One expression popped into to mind to describe it, which is "on the cheap". At first I thought "Nah, that doesn't make sense". But it does! It's an actual expression.

This keeps happening. I don't understand how I remember all these expressions without even trying.

5 minutes ago, Shiro said:

Why do people enjoy alcohol? It's the most disgusting thing that I've ever ingested, not to mention there are only negative side effects when it comes to consumption.

Taste depends on the alcohol. I've had wine mixed together that tastes like lemonade and it was sooo fucking delicious. I could down a Mudslide or a White Russian like no one's business. I won't touch cider, beer, or sake and most other alcohols.

I've only gotten drunk once. That was a thing. I won't go out of my way for it but if it happens, it happens.

9 hours ago, Hux said:

Well, Germanic gibberish aside, I was wondering...

Saxon, you seem like a very knowledgeable guy. Do you speak a second language? I'm not sure how common that is in the UK.

Only a trace of German, I'm afraid; when I speak to actual Germans they tick me off for my mistakes and start talking back in English.

21 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Only a trace of German, I'm afraid; when I speak to actual Germans they tick me off for my mistakes and start talking back in English.

Funny enough, I heard people say that English and German sound indistinguishable to the foreign ear.

Well, at least it's convenient that English is the international language.

Now I'm happy the British conquered a third of the world. I suppose it keeps me from having to learn a smorgasbord of languages like those weird Scandinavians.

Perfidious Albion wins again.

3 hours ago, Chrysocyon said:

People who order burgers cooked rare. It's not finely marbled steak, it's ground beef. That's disgusting, cook that shit.

Out of all the places I've been that serve hamburgers, I have yet to find one that lets you choose to have your burger get cooked anything other than well done.  

3 minutes ago, BlitzCo said:

Out of all the places I've been that serve hamburgers, I have yet to find one that lets you choose to have your burger get cooked anything other than well done.  

I know a few places that let you choose, but the lowest they'll go is medium. I actually love hamburgers cooked medium, but yeah rare is too far for hamburger.

I had Steak Tartar once, though, and that was pretty good.

People who cut corners at work, which in turn screws over the next/fellow associate that's in. Maybe it's not so much that I don't understand it as just wondering why. Like I get it, you want to save a few minutes for yourself and make the workload easier, but thanks to that selfish deed you've got me yapped at AND also got nailed yourself. Now you're angry; raging about.. throwing boxes (literally) and stomping around. Sadly none of this helps the situation. 

Gosh, I never thought I got super emotional over garbage like this but I was so close to bawling. Thank goodness I was able to take my lunch right after.

• Like 3

Why people are glued to their damn phones every second of the day, including when they are driving. I had to honk at some idiot earlier today because the light turned green, but he just sat there and didn't go because he was too enthralled by whatever he was looking at on his phone to even notice. Geez, people nowadays.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Shiro said:

Why people are glued to their damn phones every second of the day, including when they are driving. I had to honk at some idiot earlier today because the light turned green, but he just sat there and didn't go because he was too enthralled by whatever he was looking at on his phone to even notice. Geez, people nowadays.

I was watching some people Go-Karting at a Company function recently when I noticed something unusual going on with one. I looked closer and saw that they were using their phone while driving the go-kart! They did it through the entire race, too. I guess they were shooting video maybe?!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shiro said:

Ugh seeing people text and drive always pissed me off. Especially if I'm in the car with a driver who can't leave their phone alone.

The worst of all is going to a party and wanting to hit on someone but they won't take their face out of the phone while everyone else is having a good time.

Cockblocked by a phone smdh

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Shiro said:

And even walking. When the campus is crowded here, it can be like a drove of zombies, mindlessly moving about, seemingly oblivious. It's hard to take a relaxing walk, without having to watch for people running into you. If not for the 10,000 cameras on campus, it would an an ideal place to steal phones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shill Sham said:

There are two recent occurrences where phone/technology addiction stands out the most.  First was when I went up to Chicago for Shed's Aquarium.  People were trying to take pictures of every fish with phones and full sized tablets.  The only time I ever saw anything is when I would look at the animals through people's screens.  Furthermore the "no flash photography" signs in zoos and aquariums actually don't mean anything.  Those are merely a suggestion.  Second would be any concert in recent memory.  What to see the band and the stage?  Too bad, look up and see 2016's hottest smart phones instead.

I swear the Amish lifestyle becomes more and more convincing as the years pass.

Because taking a memory with you is more appealing than just experiencing it once and hoping you remember?

I mean, that's a large reason why people photograph things, in general.
And did, even before "dem eeeeeviiiil smartphones *shakes cane*".

14 hours ago, Shill Sham said:

There are two recent occurrences where phone/technology addiction stands out the most.  First was when I went up to Chicago for Shed's Aquarium.  People were trying to take pictures of every fish with phones and full sized tablets.  The only time I ever saw anything is when I would look at the animals through people's screens.  Furthermore the "no flash photography" signs in zoos and aquariums actually don't mean anything.  Those are merely a suggestion.  Second would be any concert in recent memory.  What to see the band and the stage?  Too bad, look up and see 2016's hottest smart phones instead.

That is really annoying, especially at concerts.

I don't understand why people can't be content to just live in the moment, and have their memories of things, without having to photograph, record, tweet and share each and every one of them. It somehow strikes me as grasping and desperate behavior: But for what? As the number of photos taken grows due to the ease of doing so, it's as if their value also diminishes: One wonders an absurd extreme of this: A life where everything is recorded, so you never forget anything: Which strikes me as one version of the dystopic.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2017 at 4:21 PM, Shill Sham said:

I remember seeing Rob Zombie live and he stopped the show to tell someone to put away their phone. Most rock and metal bands despise people who hold their phones to record the show. 

Come to think of it, the only band I've seen that encouraged cell phone use was Disturbed. One of their songs they want you to hold your phone up with the flashlight on. But half their set is cover tracks, so I find them irrelevant.

why grandma keeps asking me how was work and then shooting me down whenever i make a complaint, as if that wasn't the answer she was looking for.  you see me limping to the car an hour after my shift should have ended, covered in all manner of filth, from the same shitty job full of shitty people that i have complained about for the past several months; do you really expect me to say it was great?  it's never great.  never gonna be great.  if you don't wanna hear that it's not great, stop asking.  i don't get it

How compared with sergals the various other creatures in the same universe sergals came from (like these Talyxian things) are nowhere near as popular. 

I also don't see why given that lots of people have servals that the Vilous wiki English articles haven't been edited by fans to be more readable. Too much still reads like it was generated by google translate.

10 hours ago, Lopaw said:

How compared with sergals the various other creatures in the same universe sergals came from (like these Talyxian things) are nowhere near as popular. 

I also don't see why given that lots of people have servals that the Vilous wiki English articles haven't been edited by fans to be more readable. Too much still reads like it was generated by google translate.

What on earth does this mean?

• Like 2

I don't understand why so many people are suddenly heaping praise on Vladimir Putin. They have conveniently forgotten the human rights violations, throttling of the press and reinstigation of actual land wars in Europe that have occurred under him. Opposition politicians have even been assassinated in suspicious circumstances during his office.

:\ I see people being apologists on his behalf, saying 'we are friends with Saudi Arabia even though they are worse'. We shouldn't be complicit with the Saudi Regime or palling up with foreign dictators, one being worse than the other doesn't suddenly justify both.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Why my college still teaches people doing the IT course I was on how to use adobe fireworks (for web stuff) even though fireworks was discontinued. 

All Fireworks did was let you do everything photoshop and illustrator could do but in one program and use other macromedia stuff like dreamweaver and flash to make web stuff. Ever since adobe bought all macromedia's programs it has been redundant anyway.

I'll have to find some 3D modelling types there and ask if they still learn on Softimage to see if college likes teaching you software nobody uses anymore.

Why people love Chick-Fil-A so damn much in this area. It's consistently so backed up at all hours of the day, with drive through lines that are so long, that they're literally going out into the right lane of the street where you turn into it, thus blocking and entire lane because of it. It's just baffles me how people can go that ape shit over chicken.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shiro said:

Why people love Chick-Fil-A so damn much in this area. It's consistently so backed up at all hours of the day, with drive through lines that are so long, that they're literally going out into the right lane of the street where you turn into it, thus blocking and entire lane because of it. It's just baffles me how people can go that ape shit over chicken.

Homophobes love to have cock in their mouths.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Shiro said:

Have you tried it?

A chicken sandwich, waffle fries, and a large cookies and cream shake are my idea of a delicious lunch.

Only on occasion though, the costs add up.

• Like 2