Things That You Don't Understand!

FenrirDarkWolf

How to find groups of friends you're compatible with, and getting in with them without looking awkward.

Talk to everyone, don't worry about looking awkward. Meet people through other people. 

^ That's basically what I do. I hate it, but it's what I do. Eventually you'll run in to people that you actually get along with.

My puppy's food obsession. I was packing everything for a trip to my bf's and she kept trying to steal the dog food. I got fed up and locked it in her kennel. She FLIPPED OUT! She was whining, screaming, whimpering, ect. She started digging, chewing, jumping on the kennel, and general flipping out. I ignored her and let her throw her THIRTY MINUTE LONG tantrum. She finally gave up and laid on top of the kennel, looking sad. She had her dinner less than an hour before... Omg puppy! D:

• 2 months later...
On 10/22/2015 at 2:02 AM, Red Lion said:

Otherkin types. I'm having difficulty wrapping my head around how someone can be one and not be aware of how nonsensical it is. This is where I have to draw the line in accepting someone's idea of themselves. I don't believe in dragons or fairies. They aren't real and you saying you believe you are one isn't going to make me think those are real things that exist. Because they fucking aren't. 

This is one of those times where I really don't get it. Someone tried to explain fae/faer/faers/faerself to me by telling me that those are pronouns you use when your gender is "fairy or fae".  How can that be a gender? Fairy is some kind of noun thing, like a cat, and cats tend to come in male and female. If it has a gender or gender expression how can it be a gender? I mean you're already pushing crazy town when you try to say that you're a fairy when I can see quite plainly that you're a sapient critter of the homo variety.

Saying fairy is your gender strikes me like saying that your gender is Bob. Bob is a person, he exists independently of you, Bob and most people who observe bob would agree that bob is an entity on his own not a sex or gender. And, again, I just plain don't believe in some of these creatures, I don't believe in demons, fairies, dragons or unicorns. How can your gender/species/whatever realistically be something that doesn't even exist and why should I have to respect your pronoun if I'm 100% sure it's something you just made up? I literally do not believe in the thing you're telling me you are and frankly I'm wondering if you're suffering from special snowflake syndrome or being some kind of passive aggressive anti-transgender troll. And while they sometimes claim they have no control over what their awakened self is, it doesn't escape me that they're all something cool and majestic like dragons. I don't see anyone claiming they awakened one day and discovered their species/gender is a bonnacon. (Though that is probably the best fit I've seen for some of these people. It sprays flaming shit all over everything. x)

My brain hurts, this shit does not compute. Please please please tell me none of them are actually serious about this because I really can't tell. 

I found a journal on Fur affinity a short time ago, in which several users were commenting on a video that criticised otherkin.

They reached the conclusion that, because feelings might get hurt, that it was 'hate speech'.

5 hours ago, Señor Sal said:

Magnets.

You can look this up and learn to understand it: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/magcon.html

Magnets become less mysterious when you understand that electricity and magnetism are the same force.

Minute physics has an excellent series of videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFAOXdXZ5TM

1 hour ago, Saxon said:

You can look this up and learn to understand it: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/magcon.html

Magnets become less mysterious when you understand that electricity and magnetism are the same force.

Minute physics has an excellent series of videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFAOXdXZ5TM

Don't you dare take away from the magic that is magnets.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Señor Sal said:

Don't you dare take away from the magic that is magnets.

To be honest it's much more magical that this force can be accurately described by arranging a small number of symbols, and that if you jiggle them about universal constants like the speed of light pop out. 

4 minutes ago, TheGreatFanatic said:

The only thing blocking it is...

...There's nothing blocking it.

Other sources in the wifi wavelength can interfere, as can fish tanks, christmas lights and microwave ovens. 

It's also possible your two different machines have different means of assessing signal strength, since signal strength measurements are not standardised between different manufacturers. 

6 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Other sources in the wifi wavelength can interfere, as can fish tanks, christmas lights and microwave ovens. 

It's also possible your two different machines have different means of assessing signal strength, since signal strength measurements are not standardised between different manufacturers. 

I don't have a fish tank, the nearest christmas lights are in the farthest room from, and my microwave is never on when I use Wi-Fi.

I'm going to get a new one, but thanks.

Just now, jcstinks said:

I mean everything I say 100% legitimately, I am just a horrible person.

This also fits into the "not sure" category.. o-o
I'll just assume it's true, because it seems fitting.

For what your other comment was:
It's because all of that hugbox nonsense is hollow. Ever get to know any of those people that throw that shit around like it's candy? Most of them really don't give much of a shit, they just want to appear nice. And people who really do need someone to talk to, or are really struggling? They need more than hollow cyber-hugs.

6 minutes ago, ChaosCalix said:

It's because all of that hugbox nonsense is hollow. Ever get to know any of those people that throw that shit around like it's candy? Most of them really don't give much of a shit, they just want to appear nice. And people who really do need someone to talk to, or are really struggling? They need more than hollow cyber-hugs.

All those e-hugs must be like saltwater, then. All I know is, the amount of touching and affection by manimals far exceeds what I ever see in human behavior, yet everyone seems to be lonely, all the time, forever. Either sad-crying lonely, like half of the forum, or acting-out-for-attention lonely, like the other half.

As for me, I find it hard not to want to type *comforts* or *holds* when someone's feeling bad. I feel silly doing it, it's a bad habit from other manimals in my life. I really have to cut that shit out, it's embarrassing.

My brain.

My school counselor was baffled that I always excelled at science while almost failing all the time at maths. I have no problems understanding how harmonics are generated and dealt with on the electrical grid but basic algebra? God, finally getting to understand how to isolate a variable was almost worth a party!

1 minute ago, Jerry said:

My brain.

My school counselor was baffled that I always excelled at science while almost failing all the time at maths. I have no problems understanding how harmonics are generated and dealt with on the electrical grid but basic algebra? God, finally getting to understand how to isolate a variable was almost worth a party!

Usually it is the other way around. I know many people at university level who can manipulate numbers, but who struggle with physics. 

Why my brother likes these awful prank videos. One was a guy asking a random stranger on a bus stop if he'd like a ride, to which he eventually agreed, proceeding to fake being a serial killer and hiding a body in the trunk. That was real mortal panic on that persons face. The other was some dude dressed as a muslim and throwing a backpack on the ground in a store before running off, causing crowds of people to scream and run. How is that guy not arrested?

Also...those clothes with shirt and pants attached so they look like overalls but theyre dresses. Why do girls wear those? Bluh

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ginpanther said:

@WolfNightV4X1 Agreed, pretty much all of these prank videos/shows are crap, and it likewise boggles me that the perpetrators aren't arrested/stabbed/shot by their victims and/or the police.

Admittedly, I do like the ones where people toss someone a pillow and have a spontaneous  pillow fight. Those are fun.

Few pranks are well thought out or fun and lighthearted, though.

Some people just think a prank is shock factor and saying 'lol jk just a prank'.

And on that note it also bugs me to see people apathetic, grumpy, indifferent, or straight up angry over a harmless prank. They should just let loose and laugh a bit

10 minutes ago, 6tails said:

That's your problem, or your Roku's wireless has some shit shielding around it. Move it further away, or move your wireless access point to a higher altitude. Same thing happens when you're too close to a cell tower, your reception actually drops.

I actually got a new router today.

I got a whopping 1 bar more than I always get.

Edited by TheGreatFanatic

7 hours ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

And on that note it also bugs me to see people apathetic, grumpy, indifferent, or straight up angry over a harmless prank. They should just let loose and laugh a bit

Depends on the context, for me.

Harmless or not, if you fuck up my schedule, I'm going to be pissed off.
I work in a very specific way. If you screw that up, in any way, I'm not going to be happy with you.

14 minutes ago, Rassah said:

I can't understand why poor people ignore, shun, or even make fun of opportunities that stare them in the face

Not sure if that was about my post or not -cough-

Edit: Well. Nevermind. Did a little browsing and I think I see where that came from.
[block]

Edited by ChaosCalix

Yours and Hux's. Both options are great. If you had bought $100 worth of BTC 5 years ago, you'd have $55,000 now. And Uber lets you earn as much as $300 extra just on weekend evenings, if you need help paying down loans or to make an emergency purchase if something breaks. There are tons of other opportunities that come and go constantly, but people ignore them, shun them, or make fun of them, only to angrily resent and lash out at them after they realized they missed them.

I wouldn't say this is a thing I don't understand, though. I do understand why they do it. I just wish that didn't.

42 minutes ago, Rassah said:

Yours and Hux's. Both options are great. If you had bought $100 worth of BTC 5 years ago, you'd have $55,000 now. And Uber lets you earn as much as $300 extra just on weekend evenings, if you need help paying down loans or to make an emergency purchase if something breaks. There are tons of other opportunities that come and go constantly, but people ignore them, shun them, or make fun of them, only to angrily resent and lash out at them after they realized they missed them.

I wouldn't say this is a thing I don't understand, though. I do understand why they do it. I just wish that didn't.

Five years ago I didn't have $100. Also, I can't drive because information overload = migraine within minutes (hypervigilance + being quite observant in general, I take in EVERYTHING I see, and if I'm moving quickly like I would be in a car, that's a shit load to take in, too quickly), so I can't really practice to get a license, and driving would be incredibly irresponsible. I've tried, but always have to stop. Doesn't stop people pressuring me to learn to drive, though.

As for other opportunities, I know you're not specifically referencing any opportunities  (since I don't talk about such things), but there isn't much I can say I've missed. I apply for jobs I can do, get rejected. Game studios I've worked with refuse to hire me, indie devs I've worked with have been unanimously incompetent at their jobs, resulting in projects failing, etc. etc.

Not much I've been doing wrong in my end besides being fucked beyond the help of therapy, so I can't apply for every job that comes my way. Just a constant stream of shitty luck and people thinking they'd much rather try to get me working for free.

Also, inb4 "lol not blocked". I just had to look since obviously that post was gonna be replying to me.

25 minutes ago, Hux said:

@ChaosCalix Hope I'm not who you blocked...

Back on topic- I don't understand weaboos.

I saw your post, so nope~

On topic: I wanna say "Magnets", but I think I already did that joke

So I'll go with: Why businesses think it's fair to keep a person working voluntarily instead of talking to them about an actual paid job, when they do a better job than most of the people they pay to do said job. Bleh.

Edited by ChaosCalix

So, work for free. Are you good? Can you work with others? Instead of applying for jobs, why not make something yourself? Make friends with others who might have similar ideas, or skills you would need to manage it, advertise it, and bring it to the market. And if you have experience with incompetent indie devs and their incompetence, all the better. You know what not to do, what kind of people to avoid, and maybe even what should be done better than those incompetent devs. Try to do what they could not. What's the worst that could happen?

Or even expand and try other things besides just game dev as a job. There are probably lots of things that would greatly benefit from hypervigilance. Being Sherlock Holmes for instance :D

EDIT: Oh, didn't realize you blocked me, since that was edited later after I started writing my reply. Whelp, sorry I wasted my time I guess.

Edited by Rassah
  • Like 1

Why do people not ask for raises, not ask to be compensated, and I guess in general don't value themselves and don't understand their self worth?

Why do software developers look for and apply for jobs at companies in their physical area? This is a fairly common theme, where someone complains about lack of programming jobs where they live. It's a big world, and you don't need an office to code.

Edited by Rassah