Vector animation vs raster animation

VGmaster9

Vector animation vs raster animation  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Vector
    • Raster

For digital 2d animation, which kind do you prefer? Vector animation, which is puppet based, or raster, which is closer to traditional animation?

Here's two separate animations, each done with a different animation program.

This one is done with Toon Boom Harmony, which is a vector based program.

This one is done with TVPaint, a raster based program.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LadyRadarEars said:

I think I much prefer how raster looks, but then again I'm a sucker for traditionally animated stuff to begin with so that's probably why.

I may be wrong, but raster might be more economically sustainable than pencil/paper animation, especially for Saturday morning cartoons, TV specials, and direct-to-video films (then again, vector is also big on those formats).

10 hours ago, Wrecker said:

Why did somebody go through all that trouble to make a video about ponies? God damn.

I will never understand this My Little Pony shit, they were junk toys that were handed out at McDonald's, and that was about it.

When does the Polly Pocket craze happen?

Better yet, when does the Veggie Tales craze happen? xD

• Like 1

Based on the two videos VGmaster posted in the OP, I'd say that vector animation (The MLP fanfilm) is a lot more controlled, chilly, detailed and slow, forcing the audience to pay attention to details. It's a sustainable format, albeit somewhat boring to watch but it conveys its message well and accurately. It's what I'd expect to see in good animated movies

The raster (Due young) animation was exactly opposite: Flashy, snappy, fast, less details, faces overly expressive (stretched faces) else you wouldn't have any idea what  they are trying to express because the scenes change so fast. The animation itself has a lot... curviness. Like, the faces, motions are fast and long to give an idea what the motion is about. Color wise, you see a lot of contrasting colors. Overall, raster felt like "I am here! Now I am not!" as the scenes change back and forth. However, the quick scene changing is a necessity or else the lack of detail would have bothered if given a chance to inspect them. The quick tempo of the animation strains eyes as everything needs to be scanned quickly so I am glad the video was short

Overall, for a short music video, raster was definitely the right choice but I wouldn't want to see a 2-hour movie done with the same style.

So the final verdict is: It depends

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VGmaster9 said:

I may be wrong, but raster might be more economically sustainable than pencil/paper animation, especially for Saturday morning cartoons, TV specials, and direct-to-video films (then again, vector is also big on those formats).

Ok I take it back, since raster is cheaper than pencil/paper, I think it should be the medium for traditional style animation for theatrical movies. The vector can be the formats for the other stuff I mentioned.

On 2016-11-09 at 1:28 PM, VGmaster9 said:

For digital 2d animation, which kind do you prefer? Vector animation, which is puppet based, or raster, which is closer to traditional animation?

Here's two separate animations, each done with a different animation program.

This one is done with Toon Boom Harmony, which is a vector based program.

This one is done with TVPaint, a raster based program.

hi its the wise raster here your new dad. watch this shit, this is why everybody wants vector animation to die. this is why raster kicks ass. this could be the worlds worst cartoon competition and it sucks ass. vector animation can suck my ass. i got paint tool sai and i kick ass. thats @pigbowlosoup, thumbs down to the animation 100

• Like 2

Vector is too closely associated with bad Flash animations for me. It can still have its moments, but I prefer vector to be used for lossless scalable images, which is amazingly suitable for stuff like logos and what not. Raster has a lot more flexibility over details and can sustain an almost endless array of artist styles.

• Like 2