Community voteban

Glowing Glass

oh dear god a democracy :v  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Is it a good or bad idea?

• Good
    • Bad

Before I even start this, I just wanna let everyone know this is only a suggestion. Don't get triggered and make a nerd essay saying that this is a horrid idea unless that's just your thing. I'm aware how bad this could be.

As everyone here knows there has been a shitstorm of controversy lately. A fair amount of users have been banned or run off. Most noticeable is talk about mods making bad decisions or playing favorites or doing the wrong thing. I'd say it's still better than 90% of other places but that's besides the next point. A common thing about pretty much every place is someone somebody doesn't like. That person may be disliked by one person, or many, or everyone, but they won't be kicked away for a variety of reasons. Mostly in these situations it's because no rules are broken. Even though things would be better with a ban on said hated person it's out of order. Idea? Put it in order. How about a community voteban on the person everyone hates. Set it up like an anonymous poll and after a certain percentage of active users votes, the person may or may not get banned. Mods don't get flak for favoritism and everyone's happy except for the person banned.

It's just a little thought that passed my mind. It won't solve everyone's problems but I'm sure it would be a step in the right direction. If not, just say so. If something like this is implemented, it will clearly need work.

Edit 1: 2 hours in and all votes are this is a bad idea. I knew this was a bad idea but I didn't think it was that bad. lmao

90% of the bans here are Everslut alts. If you want to vote every other day on "should we keep banning this idiot or no" then well, heck. Frankly though, the system, as is, functions. A democratic vote only works properly when the subject being voted on is intimately discussed with all parties included, so in areas where personal sensitive information are included in the 'reasons for being banned', it would be pretty counter-productive to have a community wide vote.

Otherwise, it'd just turn into a massive ban-happy circlejerk. Meh.

• Like 6

Vote kicking (banning) is just as bad as it in Valve games, mmkay. To be frank, I wouldn't like visiting a community that could at any given moment gang up on you even if you didn't break any written rules. The community itself could also mean a select few active users who hold a grudge against you and wants to have you banned, sometimes going as far voting for a ban the sake of doing it for fun (bullying) while remaining less vocal community does not want a needless ban.

It's the flaw of democracy: Not everyone's voice will be heard and the most vocal individuals will have a surprising amount of relative influence as a result

Basically, a vote ban would make being dislikeable (but not a rule breaker) a crime which is obviously bad as the ban could be proposed on anyone who steps on someone's toes, even if accidentally

I rather choose the option of mods controlling who gets to have an account here as long as the written rules remain fair and holds a degree of leniency and as long as mods are following the same rules. So far things have worked out in that regard, however, I do not deny the fact that entrusting position of power to select few does have drawbacks

• Like 7

That would be really unfair. A user can be disliked by everyone yet break no rules, then be voted off the island. Easily abusable. Also, if a voting fails, what happens afterwards? That member feels like shit cause 40% of the community wanted them gone. So it's also a big chance for drama, even more so than the amount of drama without a ban voting system

• Like 2

Our mods are about as good as we can hope for, it's the occasionally toxic, melodramatic, immature, petty, rude, self-absorbed, dysfunctional users that are the "problem."

So yes, giving them the power to to salty ban other users they get in internet slap fights with sounds like a rad plan :V

• Like 1

Bad idea. It would exaggerate the herd-mentality and clique-ish behaviors that have already proven so poisonous. And also a lack of manners I have often seen.

More than a vote-ban, I think this rule should be applied more fairly and evenly and seems to be frequently overlooked:

"-Be civil in all posts and comments, and use common sense when deciding to post. Keep all disagreements and disputes to the subject at hand. Do not stoop to personal attacks, “Flame wars” and insults. Do not troll or harass other members, post threads intended to parody or harass other members, maliciously call out other members, or derail any topic."

So no, I don't think a vote-ban is in order; learning to be polite, yes.

• Like 6

On the opposite side of the persecution coin that everyone keeps betting, there's also the issue of popular users getting out of punishments for breaking rules, simply on the grounds that they're popular.

Just like in real life, the site has police.
And the police are tasked with deciding who goes to jail and who does not. They don't pull you into a community meeting every time this pops up.

• Like 7

With all due respect, I have a hard time understanding how can this be even considered in the first place.

Vote banning is a wide open door to both favouritism and persecution. i.e. double standards. There are very few things that infuriate me on a forum, but this is one of them.

You're kicked out because you broke the rules, not because you're unpopular, or even controversial. And applying rules is staff's job (who hopefully is impartial) and should always be.

• Like 1

Just purely based on a popularity contest probably isn't the best idea, however I do see potential in this.

What if there is some form of Community Court? If enough people hate a certain person, a honest trial will be held, where only non-partial members are jury and a mod as judge? Evidence can be provided and stories of both parties are written simultaneously as holes in those will be pretty blatant and apparent.

This idea could be built upon or shot down, but it's just an idea.

• Like 1

If I can't ban people simply on the basis of "I don't like them", neither can you guys ¬¬

17 hours ago, littlerock said:

90% of the bans here are Everslut alts.

Also yeah this. It's very rare that someone gets banned for anything other than making an alt/ban evasion, and there are only two people here who really like to make alts.

Only other time people really get banned is for repeatedly breaking rules and such.

• Like 8

Having been banned from a dinosaur anorak forum via a vote thread like this one where a decent amount of ban votes where due to being known to like furry stuff I say this voteban thing is open to abuse.

(in case anyone wonders I was banned mostly for being trollish but then again the place didn't suit me and I have since grown up)

Ignoring it being a logistical (and jurisdictional?) nightmare, I fail to see the value of of sub-section mods. The majority of the time, when mod action is slow it is due to internal debate and proces and not because they are especially understaffed. More mods would just make more of a headache, even ignoring the headache of creating a fair election process.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Deskai said:

its like video games

"as long as the popular player starts a vote ban, everyone else will vote to kick you cause the popular player said so"

Like in WoW.

Except no one reads the reasons given comments. I've initiated a kick with things like "Not down to yiff", "Anal", and "used panties" in the comments. 

• Like 1