DrDingo

The great and wonderful poll  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever been to a con?

• Yep! It was quality
    • Yeah. It was okay, I guess
    • Nope, but it sounds kinda fun
    • Nah, and I don't want to either

Furry cons, by nature, are presented to be mad sensory overloads of weird fluffy shit. And some people really like that. To the point that they will shell out hundreds of their respective currency, or maybe thousands, for a damn good time

But this got me thinking. There must be a shitload of people for which cons are far too overwhelming. 
For the regular average furry who thinks the art is cool, would it be a frightening experience or a welcoming one?

Cards on the table- I've never been to one. But the UK's largest one is a short train ride away and I don't know if it's too convenient to pass up.
Give me your head thoughts

I think that every furry should give one convention a try. Yes it is a bit overwhelming at first, but the atmosphere of furry conventions is just so intoxicating. Everybody is so happy to just have a weekend away from their stressful, shitty lives to just cut loose and wear the furry thing on their sleeves and have it all be normal for a while. I have seen hopelessly anxious and depressed people come out of their shells in beautiful ways at con.

If you aren't brave enough to go alone, get a group going. Spend  the whole weekend partying with them in your hotel room if crowds are really that frightening to you. It's about the community, you'll get just as much of a con experience as people who wander the dealers den and do the events and go dancing and hit the bars.

But yeah, give it a chance. I guarentee you 95% of the people who meme about how cringey and obnoxious and gross furry conventions are have never even been to one.

• Like 6

The general atmosphere tends to vary from con to con, as with any fandom. I've attended AC, and even though it's the biggest furry con anywhere, it is actually pretty chill. I hear WPAFW is unbelievably relaxed as well, crossing into chill territories one normally associates with picnics.

Admittedly, I don't often attend panels. But I do love the dances and the general atmosphere of a convention anyway. It's the type of gathering where most of the attendees are awkward introverts, and after a brief buffering period, everybody tends to relax under the realization that they can go right ahead and be awkward introverts and still mingle comfortably.

S'fun.

• Like 4

I'd like to eventually go to one just for the sake of going to one.

Crowds and loud noises (especially) and enclosed spaces just do not get along very much with me.
To the point where I feel like I'm suffocating.
Because I hate excess noise with a fucking passion.
So I would have to see.

• Like 1

There's lots of smaller furry cons, too. I've only been to one, but that one was only about 300 or so people in total (obviously not everyone's going to all be at it at the same time, either.) I had a lot of fun! I spent about $20 bucks plus whatever the ticket cost, but I didn't buy much. It doesn't have to be all that expensive, but I could see it being possible.

I'm looking forward to AC next year; I don't think the crowds will bother me. I'm hoping it doesn't end up super-expensive, but I generally don't buy a lot of stuff so I'll probably not do to bad.

• Like 1

I'm intrigued by furry conventions, but I would like to be in a decent financial situation first. Just curious, how do furries mosh? What kind of bands normally headline? Do furries have better hygiene than your average music festival crowd? And most importantly, will I have to pay $10 for a can of Monster? This is the kind of shit I need to know.

I started with a smaller convention, about 40 people in a small house in the middle of nowhere. And now I go to a con every year with about 200 people, on a castle. 

MFF will be my first big con, and I want to go to EF next year, but I can just give the advice to start with a small con, make some friends (it's really easy, especially if you draw (offer trades or badges), or if you like art (just chat with artists :D ) or if you have any common hobby, fursuiting, gaming, anything. Just talk to people, if yu don't like them or you don't like them, go to another group, but Furries are usually such nice people, it's easy to make friends :3

I really love Cons, I want to go to at least 1 every year, I especially love that I can show and sell my art there and usually make enough to pay the confee with that, and then just talk with friends, drink, eat, sleep, draw... 

I've never been to a con but can't wait to hit AC this summer.  There'a small one near me in Tysons Corner but it's nothing like AC.  The allure of a multitude of furries in one place is intoxicating.  When your life is surrounded by non-furries and those who don't understand it a venue with like-minded people is hard to resist.  

My wife is NOT a furry, although she is amused by it all ,she still supports me.  You can't ask for more than that.  I'm also a fursuiter so that makes marriage even more complicated.

I know everyone isn't a suiter but life is short so I recommend following your passion regardless how it manifests itself.  

There's nothing to fear with the crowds, be yourself, and relax.  Remember, they're all good people.

If all else fails, have a beer......or four.

You couldn't pay me any realistic price to go to a furry con. I couldn't be fucked.

After years of going to anime cons, I can't really take it anymore. Conventioning just got really boring for me. So I really can't imagine doing something I no longer enjoy with a community I respect even less than the anime crowd.

6 hours ago, Troj said:

Anime cons and furry cons are extremely different, in my experience. I find most anime cons vaguely dull, compared to other types of cons.

The crowd at anime cons seems to skew a lot younger, too.

The general activities at conventions period I don't care for anymore. It's not really about the specifics aside from me not wanting to be bored and be around furries. Not that I hate furries or anything otherwise I wouldn't be here, but I tend to have a lot more control online of what I'm exposed to than something in person. No thanks.

I'd like to at least once, even moreso if I had a fursuit someday...I mean I honestly would be super dissapointed in going to one if I couldnt go in character in a good quality suit

On Saturday, November 26, 2016 at 0:49 AM, LazerMaster5 said:

I'm intrigued by furry conventions, but I would like to be in a decent financial situation first. Just curious, how do furries mosh? What kind of bands normally headline? Do furries have better hygiene than your average music festival crowd? And most importantly, will I have to pay $10 for a can of Monster? This is the kind of shit I need to know.

Awkwardly and with lots of murring

NIIC

Probably worse because theyre filthy nerds that sweat in heatbags

You'll probably pay $100 for monster yiff

On 12/2/2016 at 7:29 AM, Troj said:

Anime cons and furry cons are extremely different, in my experience. I find most anime cons vaguely dull, compared to other types of cons.

The crowd at anime cons seems to skew a lot younger, too.

I think anime cons have that one person calling every girl at the con their waifu,and the person carrying around a body pillow.

• Like 1

considering I went to all the cons i've been to with friends, the experience was fairly positive for all the cons i've been to... counting the one furry one and a few anime ones. the issue I always face is not enough time to go to all the panels I want to go to as well as having enough money for merchandise

• Like 1

On 12/2/2016 at 7:21 PM, WolfNightV4X1 said:

I'd like to at least once, even moreso if I had a fursuit someday...I mean I honestly would be super dissapointed in going to one if I couldnt go in character in a good quality suit

Awkwardly and with lots of murring

NIIC

Probably worse because theyre filthy nerds that sweat in heatbags

You'll probably pay $100 for monster yiff

And here I thought Korn was a shit band to give a full set. 

Also, have you smelled a festival crowd? Everyone smokes cheap pot, and barely anyone bathes. Bonus extreme sweat if during summer months.

But hey, a $10 Monster is still better than a $100 Monster with nerd ejaculate in it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have no idea what I'm doing, but you folks have convinced me that conning might be fun

I poked around and found out I could get a cheap coach to Confuzzled in May 2017

So if anyone from the UK can make a day in Birmingham, gimme a shout and we can get something good going

• 2 weeks later...

What is this nonsense about fursuits!!! You do not own a fursuit. You think ANTHROPOMORPHIC FAUNA are really cute and enchanting and all, but it has never occurred to you to dress as one. Sure, it is fun to imagine what it would be like to run wild with a pack of wolves, or purr and frolic with a litter of kittens, but dressing up as an animal just seems ridiculous. It would still just be a silly girl draped in a raggedy synthetic tufty piece of crap, and seriously who are you trying to kid with that sort of baloney!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Furry conventions are great. I've been to fifty-odd (including eleven instances of MFF) and most were positive experiences. There's new ones popping up everywhere.

Most have day passes, and some you can walk in and hang around in the lobby, so it doesn't need to be a great expense if you want to drop by and see what's up.

And if you're worried about being raped by a fursuiter, don't be! (Just relax and enjoy the ride.)

Just now, GreenReaper said:

Furry conventions are great. I've been to fifty-odd (including eleven instances of MFF) and most were positive experiences. There's new ones popping up everywhere.

Most have day passes, and some you can walk in and hang around in the lobby, so it doesn't need to be a great expense if you want to drop by and see what's up.

And if you're worried about being raped by a fursuiter, don't be! (Just relax and enjoy the ride.)

Jesus christ that's a lot.

Yeah, the number creeps up on you. Just returned from Furrnion - my smallest yet! Just 155 registered and maybe fifty day tickets.

My maximum in one year was eight, which was probably two too many. They're a bit draining - physically and socially - and you need to take time to recover.

I went to a few sci-fi conventions as well, but they just didn't have the same vibe for me. I imagine anime conventions are different, too.

• 6 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I went to Anthro New England this year and it was probably the best thing I've ever done and I'm not sure if anything will ever live up to it.

I saw a racoon deepthroat a microphone to shit talk the MBTA in a Bernie Sanders impression. I can't see how this can ever be topped

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I've been to ANE, Anthrocon, and Furnal Equinox, and its been really fun every time. I highly recommend the larger ones though; ANE is nice, but its too small, so the amount you have to do is fairly little. Anthrocon and Furnal Equinox meanwhile have SO MUCH. Lots of wild panels. I went to a Warrior Cats panel at Furnal Equinox, and at Anthrocon Cyberconnect2 has a Fuga panel which was so cool. 

Its fun to just hang out with friends and people watch. Furry watch? Well, watching and takaing pictures with all sorts of cool fursuiters is fun, and there's always some interesting merch to find. Plus its just fun as a social event. Going with friends makes it all the better.