Flag-Burning: Should it be illegal in the US?

Fossa

Flag-Burning: Should it be illegal in the US?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Flag-Burning: Should it be illegal in the US?

• Yes
    • No

Its a nonviolent way to make a statement/say how you feel about something. It should not be illegal. To make it illegal would be to set things backwards against free speech and promote censorship. 

I would say that, as ironic as it sounds, it would be extremely un-American to disallow people from burning the American flag.

2 hours ago, DrGravitas said:

EDIT: Oh, and I voted no and am depressed that this issue coming is back up again for the hundredth time.

It comes up once every blue moon when the Political unrest is at its highest.

I do not like people burning the flag as an effigy, but it was well within their right to and it is a form of political expression. Same goes for people burning, hanging, or stabbing effigies of government officials to prove a political point. At the same time, burning an effigy's one of the many non-violent ways to make a political statement. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Zeke said:

It comes up once every blue moon when the Political unrest is at its highest.

I do not like people burning the flag as an effigy, but it was well within their right to and it is a form of political expression. Same goes for people burning, hanging, or stabbing effigies of government officials to prove a political point. At the same time, burning an effigy's one of the many non-violent ways to make a political statement. 

Yeah, I can agree the act its self is a bit silly, even if people should be allowed to. Frankly, there are better and more positive symbolic moves to express dissatisfaction than setting something on fire, though admittedly these sorts of negative ones tend to draw attention more.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DrGravitas said:

Yeah, I can agree the act its self is a bit silly, even if people should be allowed to. Frankly, there are better and more positive symbolic moves to express dissatisfaction than setting something on fire, though admittedly these sorts of negative ones tend to draw attention more.

That's the idea. It's easy to draw up a picture of Calvin taking a shit on the flag. People will be upset. If you want pure rage and people approving of censorship because of that aspect, then nothing says it like burning a flag/book/effigy.

• Like 2