No Script's Security and Privacy Info Page

DrGravitas

OK this actually changed a fair bit ago, but I was reminded of it again and how it irritated me. I use No Script on Firefox and one of its delightful features is that you can middle-click any of the scripts it tells you its blocking and it will bring up a Security and Privacy Info page on the script. Generally unneeded, it is nevertheless very useful when a site can't function without certain scripts and you have to pick through to see which are functional and which are trackers or ad-related, or even down-right malicious.

The page is just a hub with links to other services that have evaluated the script or the site it comes from and tells you about them. Most of them are super basic and not very helpful. The go-to page for me on that info hub was always the My WOT page. My WOT (Web of Trust) has/had a robust community of skeptical and technically apt users that provided comments and ratings on these scripts/pages that are very informative and aggregates them in convenient score graphs making it easy to tell at a quick glance whether one should be suspicious of the script or not. While it didn't have perfect 100% coverage, it was great for finding the worst of the big privacy-violating scripts or telling when something was just collecting metrics.

Not long ago, however, No Script ceased including My WOT on their hub page! I miss my easy link to it! It was replaced with some other fairly bland and uninformative site that thankfully happens also contain links to several other services including My WOT.

So yeah, tl;dr my rant is that I now have to click through a single extra page to learn whether a script is worth enabling :P

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ArielMT said:

D8

Yeeaah, stuff like this is why I'm leery of a lot of add-ons, even from groups like WOT. You'd think thry'd be able to establish sufficient revenue without turning to this sort of thing. Let alone cognizant of what would happen to them should they fail to take every precaution with the data, given their userbase.

35 minutes ago, Socketosis said:

This is why I try to run a minimal of any add-ons. I currently only have uBlock Origin running.

I could probably cut back a bit. I have ghostery, uBlock, NoScript, FoxyProxy (though I haven't used that in ages), that downloader-I-forget-the-name-of-for-embedded-vids, and a host of ones fixing Mozilla's idiotic design choices.

1 hour ago, DrGravitas said:

I could probably cut back a bit. I have ghostery, uBlock, NoScript, FoxyProxy (though I haven't used that in ages), that downloader-I-forget-the-name-of-for-embedded-vids, and a host of ones fixing Mozilla's idiotic design choices.

Tbh FoxyProxy sounds like something to hide your chats with old ladies.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...