Hello good people

U-235

Hey everyone!

My name is James

I'm relatively new to the fandom, in the sense of getting involved in it and getting to know others in it. I became interested in it when I started listening to Renard and the Queenstons back in middle school. I never wanted to admit it, but when I got to college and started looking up the different con events and the creativity of it all, I thought "hell, it looks like it's fun and creative and I've wanted to be involved for a while". So I'm here now. I'm a nuclear engineer in training in the US where I was born and raised (raised specifically in the deep south in a small rural county, hence the initial denial of wanting to be involved in the fandom). I've been obsessed with all things nuclear for a while.

A few interests of mine include making music, mostly alternative electronic and movie scores (I can link you to my soundcloud if you're interested). I write stories and I've written a book I'm planning on publishing sometime next year. My stories are usually sci-fy with a mix of romance (all of it LGBT in part because I am gay). I love all Japanese, Korean, and Italian food. A food connoisseur in general. I love Garrys Mod (video game/physics open world FP) and the associated YouTube videos like GMod idiot box. I'm a big outdoors person, having been raised a boy scout. Anything involving hiking, camping, mountain biking. And the stars and cold. That combination is amazing.

Lastly my fursona. So I've only recently given it thought. I really like the name U-235, because that's the isotope of Uranium they use in most standard commercial power reactors. I'm thinking I want him to be a fox. He'd wear a labcoat and be a mix between cartoon styled and realism. Though It'd be cool for him to have blue streaks down his arms and a tuft of blue hair on his head with the tips of his ears and tail being blue. I'd like to draw it but I'm a horrible artist and can't draw to save my life. Does anyone here have a suggestion on an artist I could commission for a reasonable price who could maybe draw him for me? I'd love to see him come to life. I'd really love to see him come to life in the form of a fursuit one day. I'll need to wait until I have a truly steady income outside of college Ha! He's essentially a nuclear engineer who's a bit more on the outgoing side. I'm still developing it all though. I'd love to know where I could get some assistance and feedback with it.

Anyway I'm hoping to get to know y'all better and become more involved in this community and the fandom as a whole. Thanks for having this page!

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Hux said:

It's good to see another lover of Italian food on this forum.

Tell me, what are your opinions on deep dish pizza and lasagna?

Both are equally amazing in their own respective ways. Lasagna is amazing when done with lots of cheese. Deep dish pizza is equally amazing, especially when it's made with sausage, bacon, a little green onion, and black olives.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, U-235 said:

Both are equally amazing in their own respective ways. Lasagna is amazing when done with lots of cheese. Deep dish pizza is equally amazing, especially when it's made with sausage, bacon, a little green onion, and black olives.

You have charmed me. 

Welcome to our community.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, DrGravitas said:

Welcome to the forums! I love that avatar (and user name)! Nuclear engineer, eh? Awesome!

Thanks! I appreciate the welcome. The avatar is, from what I can tell, a fuel change in a small experimental reactor. The blue glow is due to the cherenkov radiation and because the fuel is heavily irradiated it's glow is extremely intense. And thank you about the username. I just thought it was neat sounding and was related to what I like.

6 hours ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Oooo, you sound like a very interesting individual. I suggest you swing by the art exchange here, maybe an artist might like to sketch up your little concept for free

I'll make a post there for sure. I'd noticed it earlier and I was thinking about making a post there to see what people thought. Thanks for the suggestion and compliment!

5 hours ago, Feelwell the Rabbit said:

I believe the title should say "Howlo good people"

But seriously, welcome!

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Osrik said:

Greetings and welcome to the forums!

I'm a fan of Garry's Mod and sci-fi myself, any favorite writers/settings? (Well, I assume you're a fan if you write yourself, if not, my apologies)

I'm a Sci-fi nerd lol! I'd say my favorite setting would have to be anything in a dystopian world with space as the environment. I enjoy Orson Scott card, though I don't agree with his personal beliefs, he's a good writer and I was a fan of Enders game. I'm also a big fan of anything that get's philosophy into the mix and questions our own humanity.

3 hours ago, Lopaw said:

Welcome

Last time I checked nuclear engineers are hard to find.

Nuclear engineers are a rare breed now a days. Mostly because no one got the degree after Chernobyl because we thought nuclear was going to die out and fade. However Nuclear has made a huge comeback and now it's in high demand, though there still aren't enough nuclear engineers graduating to keep up with the demand at this rate.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, U-235 said:

Nuclear engineers are a rare breed now a days. Mostly because no one got the degree after Chernobyl because we thought nuclear was going to die out and fade. However Nuclear has made a huge comeback and now it's in high demand, though there still aren't enough nuclear engineers graduating to keep up with the demand at this rate.

I don't know who assumed it would die out. Next to nobody knows Chernobyl happened due to being a god awful design that had the output cranked up too high for stupid reasons. Oddly despite reactor 4 going into meltdown the other 3 reactors in the place where still being used for electricity generation until around 2000 ish.

Few people went mental when Sellafield caught fire though.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Lopaw said:

I don't know who assumed it would die out. Next to nobody knows Chernobyl happened due to being a god awful design that had the output cranked up too high for stupid reasons. Oddly despite reactor 4 going into meltdown the other 3 reactors in the place where still being used for electricity generation until around 2000 ish.

Few people went mental when Sellafield caught fire though.

It's good to hear from someone else who knows their nuclear history. Yeah I think sellafield was mostly because it wasn't heavily publicized, though as to exactly why it didn't get more attention is beyond me. Thankfully almost all operating reactors (aside from the 6 remaining RBMK styled reactors) aren't using graphite cores anymore.  

1 hour ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

Welcome to the forums! I'm the resident dancer/guard person.

You sound very much like an interesting person, I look forward to seeing you around.

Hey FerninrDarkWolf! I must ask, what's your favorite style of dancing? I'm not a dancer myself, but I always appreciate those who can. And hopefully I'll be able to be around often, though granted it all depends on my school schedule :/

1 hour ago, pothocket said:

Hey, welcome to the forums. You seem pretty cool.

I'd love to see your soundcloud.

Thanks pothocket!

Here is my soundcloud. It's actually a joint venture between me and my best friend. It's all space themed alternative electronic. I hope you enjoy it!

Hey there, and welcome! You sound like a very interesting sort, and a nice addition to the community. I also have a great love of nature and the outdoors, though I was raised in the northern wilderness of Michigan, as opposed to the deep south. Also a great lover of food and cooking here, especially Italian, French, Korean, Japanese...not all of which I cook, but I love exploring new foods.

Huh, what else? Oddly, the Fossa is my secondary fursona, my primary fursona is a striped Skunk, named Simo, where I'm known on various other furry sites! But having a secondary fursona is fun, even if not one everyone always is familiar with.

Hope ya have fun here; I also write, and can't draw to save my life! And you're by no means alone, on this account. I do write some; mainly more realistic things, with a bit of sci-fi/supernatural, at times, and also, romantic, with a male/male tendency, as far as that goes, having also grown up in an isolated place, where I didn't get to express that. Would love to see some of your writing sometime!

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Fossa-Boy said:

Hey there, and welcome! You sound like a very interesting sort, and a nice addition to the community. I also have a great love of nature and the outdoors, though I was raised in the northern wilderness of Michigan, as opposed to the deep south. Also a great lover of food and cooking here, especially Italian, French, Korean, Japanese...not all of which I cook, but I love exploring new foods.

Huh, what else? Oddly, the Fossa is my secondary fursona, my primary fursona is a striped Skunk, named Simo, where I'm known on various other furry sites! But having a secondary fursona is fun, even if not one everyone always is familiar with.

Hope ya have fun here; I also write, and can't draw to save my life! And you're by no means alone, on this account. I do write some; mainly more realistic things, with a bit of sci-fi/supernatural, at times, and also, romantic, with a male/male tendency, as far as that goes, having also grown up in an isolated place, where I didn't get to express that. Would love to see some of your writing sometime!

Thanks! I'm actually considering going to Ann Arbor for graduate school, though I've gotta look more into the kind of research they do up there. And yeah I'm not a great cook myself to be entirely honest, I'm a bit better at baking. I can cook some, but my brother is a far better cook than I am. So why have a second fursona? I'm just curious.

I can relate a lot to using the writing as a creative outlet when you couldn't express it in real life. Growing up in the rural south in a conservative county doesn't help much. I'd love to show you my writing. Do they have a place I can post writing here or is there a way I could send it to you directly? Thanks again for the warm welcome! :) 

1 hour ago, U-235 said:

Hey FerninrDarkWolf! I must ask, what's your favorite style of dancing? I'm not a dancer myself, but I always appreciate those who can. And hopefully I'll be able to be around often, though granted it all depends on my school schedule :/

I mostly do colorguard/winterguard, mostly in the forms of solos in my front yard xD

Outside of the realm of spinning, I mostly do contemporary.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

I mostly do colorguard/winterguard, mostly in the forms of solos in my front yard xD

Outside of the realm of spinning, I mostly do contemporary.

Very cool, I'm a horrible dancer myself lol! I know a few people though who are pretty good at it. I know a person on colorguard here at Tech. What exactly is winterguard though? 

22 minutes ago, U-235 said:

Very cool, I'm a horrible dancer myself lol! I know a few people though who are pretty good at it. I know a person on colorguard here at Tech. What exactly is winterguard though? 

Winterguard is colorguard, but indoors, basically, performing to pre-recorded music instead of a marching band.

• Like 1
Just now, FenrirDarkWolf said:

xD

No, I don't perform it competitively, sadly. No winterguards around for me.

Also I too, live in the south, Texas/Arkansas, in fact.

Ahh, so more of just a hobby/interest of yours then? Are you wanting to one day preform competitively?

2 minutes ago, U-235 said:

Ahh, so more of just a hobby/interest of yours then? Are you wanting to one day preform competitively?

I'd like to, but the closest world-class one (which does not have an age limit I will hit in 2017)  I could join is two-three hours away. I've performed with my uni's marching band when I still went there (the first video had me in it), but since I can't afford to go back, I can't.

I'd be more interested in teaching it.to my high school in town, however (even tho I'm not a teaching student, I'm a business student x3)

1 minute ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

I'd like to, but the closest world-class one (which does not have an age limit I will hit in 2017)  I could join is two-three hours away. I've performed with my uni's marching band when I still went there (the first video had me in it), but since I can't afford to go back, I can't.

I'd be more interested in teaching it.to my high school in town, however (even tho I'm not a teaching student, I'm a business student x3)

Well I would hope that it would work out for you to express it somehow. You seem talented at it, and it would be awesome if you could expand on that! Also I was actually originally going to be a business major in college.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Snagged Cub said:

A nuclear safety inspector engineer, huh?

homer-simpson-jobs.jpg

That sounds like an awesome career for a fun and creative person like you

Welcome in

Thanks! I've wanted to do it since I was in 2nd grade lol. I told my teachers back then I wanted to be a nuclear physicists. Ahhh homer simpson. He never fails to amuse, or inaccurately portray nuclear power station operations Ha! Also I noticed you've got a steam account. Mind if I add you?

2 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Hey there. Is that Cheronkov radiation I see in your avatar?

Edit, nevermind it seems you've answered this question already!

Anyway, welcome to the forums, you seem pretty interesting.

Hey! And yes it is indeed Cheronkov radiation. I think its quite beautiful stuff. Granted an indication of extreme irradiation and you'd probably die if the fuel assembly's or whatever it was was not under all that water, but it's beautiful none the less. And thank you! I really appreciate you, and several others on here, saying that. Granted I can be kind of [by kind of I mean very] weird at times. 

8 minutes ago, U-235 said:

Hey! And yes it is indeed Cheronkov radiation. I think its quite beautiful stuff. Granted an indication of extreme irradiation and you'd probably die if the fuel assembly's or whatever it was was not under all that water, but it's beautiful none the less. And thank you! I really appreciate you, and several others on here, saying that. Granted I can be kind of [by kind of I mean very] weird at times. 

Well, we're furries so we're all odd here anyway. ;3

• Like 1
21 hours ago, U-235 said:

Here is my soundcloud. It's actually a joint venture between me and my best friend. It's all space themed alternative electronic. I hope you enjoy it!

Some pretty cool stuff you two got there! I really like "Something's Wrong" in particular. What's your DAW of choice and your favorite VSTs?

3 hours ago, pothocket said:

Some pretty cool stuff you two got there! I really like "Something's Wrong" in particular. What's your DAW of choice and your favorite VSTs?

My DAW of choice is definitely Propellerhead Reasons because of the versatility of it and that it's great for electronic music. As of right now I'm working with an Avid M-Box as my VST, though I'm not sure I'd count it as a VST since it's a piece of hardware, but it does have a software interface to translate stuff over to Reasons, so it's a sort-of VST? None the less that's sort of my setup for now. I've also got Focal Professional headphones. I really want to invest into an Access Virus TI desktop or studiologic sledge 2.0. However the sledge is 1,000 and the Virus TI is 2,200. So money........ Also my friends were all big fans of Something's Wrong also. A lot of people seemed to like that song in particular.

2 hours ago, DrDingo said:

Heyo! How's it going?

I'm late, but whatever. You look really cool. hi

Heya!

It's going good. Just studying for my radiation detection final on Friday. What about yourself? Also thanks! You seem pretty cool yourself. I love your avatar. What's your dingo's PhD in, Dr. Dingo?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, U-235 said:

Heya!

It's going good. Just studying for my radiation detection final on Friday. What about yourself? Also thanks! You seem pretty cool yourself. I love your avatar. What's your dingo's PhD in, Dr. Dingo?

It's a PhD in apology

For you see, it pains me to bear you the grave news that I am not properly qualified

I'm rushing some uni work also. Not finals though; they're spread across the year in the UK

But I have exams when I return in January. Which is equally disgusting and terrifying 

18 minutes ago, DrDingo said:

It's a PhD in apology

For you see, it pains me to bear you the grave news that I am not properly qualified

I'm rushing some uni work also. Not finals though; they're spread across the year in the UK

But I have exams when I return in January. Which is equally disgusting and terrifying 

Ahh it's all good friend. What're your exams over in Uni and what're you studying to be? And yeah I'm done after next week, but then I start a new semester all over again in January. I'm looking forward to all my classes, except I'm not looking forward to when I have to take reactor engineering next fall. It has one of the highest fail rates at 64%. It's what determines if you're good enough to be a nuclear engineer or not.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, U-235 said:

Ahh it's all good friend. What're your exams over in Uni and what're you studying to be? And yeah I'm done after next week, but then I start a new semester all over again in January. I'm looking forward to all my classes, except I'm not looking forward to when I have to take reactor engineering next fall. It has one of the highest fail rates at 64%. It's what determines if you're good enough to be a nuclear engineer or not.

I'm doing Computer Science, so whatever occupation I manage to land from that, I s'pose.

There's a lot of weird maths. It's all very sad because it's something you just can't understand by hearing it in a lecture once

In my first ever lecture, the guy proudly announced that 1 in 3 of us will fail the year. He said "Look to the person on your left, now on your right.. one of you three is likely to fail"
Encouraging innit

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, DrDingo said:

I'm doing Computer Science, so whatever occupation I manage to land from that, I s'pose.

There's a lot of weird maths. It's all very sad because it's something you just can't understand by hearing it in a lecture once

In my first ever lecture, the guy proudly announced that 1 in 3 of us will fail the year. He said "Look to the person on your left, now on your right.. one of you three is likely to fail"
Encouraging innit

I know a lot of people doing computer science. It's usually a fairly lucrative position seeing as it applies to a wide area. My study is fairly narrow in comparison. Yeah the algorithms can get kind of weird. I tried to write one once. It self imploded in about 30 microseconds. Ahhh he stole that quote from here at Georgia Tech lol. Back in the day, before I got here (like the 90's) it was commonly known that Georgia Tech had about a 30% drop out rate in the first year. The retention rate for freshmen is at about 93% now, but it's still insanely difficult here (hence the fact that we have about 15 therapist and 9 psychiatrist on staff who are almost always booked).   

If you like conjoined short stories, hard Sci-Fi with morality, self exploration, questioning the meaning of life, religion as a political force that's lost the conventional meaning, and damn near PERFECT worldbuilding, I'd highly recommend reading Dan Simmons' Hyperion. Half the book is just dissecting John Keats' poems in the most bizarre way. A book for the thinking man.

That book is hands down my favourite. The themes, the setup, the stories... I'm glad they haven't ruined it by making movies of it, it needs to be read and experienced that way.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

If you like conjoined short stories, hard Sci-Fi with morality, self exploration, questioning the meaning of life, religion as a political force that's lost the conventional meaning, and damn near PERFECT worldbuilding, I'd highly recommend reading Dan Simmons' Hyperion. Half the book is just dissecting John Keats' poems in the most bizarre way. A book for the thinking man.

That book is hands down my favourite. The themes, the setup, the stories... I'm glad they haven't ruined it by making movies of it, it needs to be read and experienced that way.

I'll give it a read then for sure. I've heard of the title, but I've never had a chance to really delve into it, but that sounds like it'd be a fantastic read. Thank you for the suggestion!

31 minutes ago, LazerMaster5 said:

I know I am a bit late, but welcome to Gay Dick Phoenixed Forums. We're all furry freaks here,so if you are a furry with a self deprecating sense of humor, you will fit right in. I'm the forum metalhead.

Hey there! And thanks you for the welcome! Lol it almost seems like a majority of the members are gay or some variety of it. At least who I've met thus far. And I'm down for that humor so this seems just like the place to be!