Snow Spotting!

DrGravitas

20161218_014447.jpg

I see those benches are being used... As a resting place for banks of snow

(the shot is taken during "an afternoon" ft. My dog) 

I'd take a better picture but the matter of fact is daytime light is so short here so it's quite difficult when during a day you're in school and weekends are the days when I am a lazy sloth 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

we finally got our first snow of the year.  let me tell you about it.

it was 11pm and i was at work.  it had been raining, but by that time, the rain had begun to turn to ice.  when the manager finally called me out to bring in the buggies from the parking lot, there was a thick layer of slush covering the ground and a very fine snow, still mixed with ice, was still falling.  in their mad rush to get their bread-and-milk and leave before the dreaded snowpocalypse trapped them all indoors with no electricity, customers had graciously taken every single cart we had and left each one at a different place in the parking lot.  a very small few actually made it to the cart return; the rest were spread as far as the eye could see, from the side of the building to the edge of the street, up in the grass (or snow-and-ice-capped piles of dead leaves, anyway), just forming a beautiful frozen maze for me to navigate.  

though it was a friday and fridays are always light days with almost no freight, and there were 3 other people present at the time (none of them working), not a single one offered to help.  so i went out, little shards of ice pelting me in the face and zipping into my ears and eyes, coating my glasses and, combined with the wind, reducing my visibility to near zero.  i don't know how many times i slipped on the slush and ice, but through very slow and calculated movements, i managed to avoid actually falling, which unfortunately means no lawsuit money for me.  there's always next year. 

i had to push the carts no more than 3 or 4 at a time.  due to their being frozen stiff, the parking lot also being wet and frozen, and most of them being located downhill from the store, the carts were difficult to budge and getting them inside was absolutely exhausting.  after about an hour, i had about half of them done.  while they did not go outside to help with the carts, the manager and coworker who stood around opening and closing the door were concerned enough about my wellbeing to make frequent comments about it being cold.  i told one of them i wasn't cold, just tired and wet.  my shoes, socks, and the bottoms of my pants were completely soaked through.  i had to layer rubber gloves underneath my normal gloves, as those were also soaked.  and of course, my ever-present runny nose was in overdrive, making things take even longer as i had to make frequent stops to fumble with the paper towel in my pocket so i didn't end up with snotcicles. 

since midnight is break time, i finally went inside with half the carts put in, and was told not to worry about the rest for then because i had so many other things to do.  i went about my business as usual until lunchtime, after which i had to go and finish the job.  by that time, another coworker had arrived--the only one there i could really call a friend--and by the time i had been outside gathering carts for almost another hour, she saw me out there and came to help. 

and then all the ice on the shopping carts melted and flooded the store entrance, so i had to use the floor scrubber to suck up the water about ten minutes before we opened.

and i clocked out over an hour late, on a day when i usually get off early or at least on time, and the drive home was extremely slow because there was snow and ice all over the road.  the worst part is, this is just the beginning.  it's supposed to keep snowing through today, which of course means i'll have to work in that tonight, and i'm sure we'll see plenty more of the crap before spring finally gets here.  and with the snow will come the disgusting ice and slush and dirty water everywhere and power outages and other goodies the winter usually brings.  joy of joys.

the end. 

tl;dr: i hate winter, snow, ice, and any combination of the three.

20 minutes ago, Socketosis said:

East coast?

Yeah, New Jersey.

It's funny, the weather reports are saying the storm should be dying about now as it is moving out to sea, but it hasn't slowed at all here and we likely have around a foot by now.

At least I don't have top go anywhere tomorrow...

42 minutes ago, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

1b96b94bd5.png

Daily trek to uni is quite nice in the winter

This is quite possibly one of the most beautiful pictures I've ever seen. Seriously, my jaw is still dropped from it. That lighting painting hints of color on the snow! The fantastic snow clinging delicately to the trees! Absolutely without a doubt my favorite picture so far in this thread :o 

• Like 3