A Realistic and Pragmatic Assesment of Driverless Car Technology

DrGravitas

Personally, I'm tired of the constant hype around developing driverless technologies. With outlandish timetables, unrealistic expectations, and corny designs my jaded self can't help but see it all as little more than a grab for investors that's setting up the public for a let down. That is why it was refreshing to see a news article that shared my views of the expectations being set up.

But, this article also raises a fair point I'd not considered before.

Through analysis of surveys, they concluded that the hype helps drive public acceptance of the technologies whereas a more pragmatic assessment may be less accepting. It's a classic trick to get people to go along with something, but one that makes sense in this scenario. As much as I'd like to see a greater focus on more realistic technology, I can accept that the money's not there; people spend on things that excite their imaginations. Similarly, people are less willing to take a chance on something without expecting a sufficiently significant change.